Author Topic: NFL Playoffs: Divisional Round  (Read 521 times)

Description: NFL's Elite Eight

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
NFL Playoffs: Divisional Round
« on: January 10, 2019, 07:51:32 AM »
Saturday 1/12

Indianapolis Colts (6) vs. Kansas City Chiefs (1) (4:35 ET, NBC)
Dallas Cowboys (4) vs, Los Angeles Rams (2) (8:15 ET, FOX)

Sunday 1/13

Los Angeles Chargers (5) vs, New England Patriots (2) (1:05 ET, CBS)
Philadelphia Eagles (6) vs. New Orleans Saints (1) (4:40 ET, FOX)

Because I'm bored and have developed my Excel powers, I did an analysis of Super Bowl winners and how they did in their followup seasons.  Some of the results are kind of surprising; I didn't know so many teams failed to make the playoffs the following year (especially since 2000).  I might do an article or a post or something on this and kinda want to do it for Super Bowl losers as well to see how it compares.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

Re: NFL Playoffs: Divisional Round
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 10:04:20 AM »
I got every game wrong last week.  This week I'm going all home teams.  They have been the four best teams in the NFL since September.  I see no reason to change that now.  I would have picked Philly if they were against the Rams, but at the Superdome will be too much, I think.  If the Saints lose, questions will start regarding the lack of post-season success they have had outside of the one year (which was tainted by Bountygate) despite having one of the best QBs ever for over a decade.

• KOAB
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 07:31:18 AM »
I'm going to make my picks based of the premise if the NFL is a worked league. It's all based upon the result of the first game.

If the Chiefs win

Cowboys - Jerry Jones is owed a lot of favors helping the NFL get back into the LA market and helping get Trump off the leagues back during the kneeling controversy. He also has the most appealing black QB in the league ever since he made the comments https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2018/07/27/dak-prescott-plans-national-anthem-never-protest-anthem-dont-think-time-venue when it comes to getting back the passion the conservative fanbase once had.
Chargers - The time isn't now for the Patriots... the build they're getting is already setting up for Brady and Bellicheck to win it all next year in both their 20th season and ride of into the sunset. Chargers also have the only black head coach who made it this far and after the controversy of all the black coaches who were fired this season he is now being built up as becoming the next great head coach in the NFL and what better way to get that going than having him at the helm as Philip Rivers finally beats Brady & Bellicheck.
Saints - It's hard to keep buying into the Eagles even with the Nick Foles storyline that draws a lot. It's just going to take an insane amount of refball to get the Eagles to overcome the Saints to the point it would like a blatant work. Brees also needs to be cemented more as a GOAT as he keeps getting more and more records.

Chargers over the Chiefs - The longer the Chiefs have to be in this the more their embarrassments have to be brought up with the Kareem Hunt situation. They'll be built for the future decade to come after Mahomes wins the MVP and KC keeps growing itself into finally becoming a true draw on the national stage
Cowboys and Saints - This is a tossup because it depends more on if the NFL thinks Jerry Jones is gonna die soon vs giving more prestige to Brees. I'm gonna lean Cowboys because I don't believe NFL will do an old QB vs another old QB in the Super Bowl this year.

Chargers beat Cowboys - When it comes to the LA market they're the team that actually needs the rub and the Rams will be given the ultimate rub when they pretty much get a homefield Super Bowl in 2022. The only problem in this scenario is the face of the Chargers franchise does not fit the LA market at all (an old traditional style QB who puts God and family above everything else) but having a black head coach who is pegged for greatness will offset that. Plus the NFL now has a new draft class they can always point to as maybe being the greatest draft class for QBs ever. Jerry Jones the ultimate company man is owed even more favors

If the Colts win

Rams - Need at least one LA team in a conference title game and Jerry Jones acquires even more favors he's owed that he can cash in on later. The only thing that makes this a hard pick is the fact the whole press junket leading up to this game is more about Dak than anything the LA Rams offer.
Patriots - Under no circumstances does the NFL wanna see a conference title game hosted in a rinky dink soccer stadium that might not even sellout. Although the NFL can show a million shots of the new stadium under construction during a Chargers/Colts to remind casual fans of the future for the NFL... I don't think they'll wanna go down that route. Rivers also has a nice rep of being shitty enough to throw outright picks without any Charger players around that make no sense and he's a good company man so Givers will be in play to the max if the Colts win.
Saints - Sorry Iggles

Colts over Pats - Have you heard the news that Andrew Luck is back and beat Tom Brady?
Saints over Rams - Oh man I can't wait for Brees vs Luck

Saints destroy the Colts in the Super Bowl- Man it's great that Brees has cemented himself even more with another Super Bowl but can you believe what Andrew Luck and Frank Reich did with a patchwork team that's technically in a rebuilding year? Peyton Manning couldn't even have led this team to a Super Bowl.

The only thing to be assured of is an old QB is winning the whole thing and Super Bowl MVP even if they don't deserve it... by beating a young QB. Since the NFL is still the only league in this country where close to 99 percent of it's talent pool comes from this country they need some good PR to convince parents to let their kids play in light of all the things coming out about CTE and the concussion issues so it benefits the league showing the high level old dudes are still at.

Next season will be all about anniversaries based around the number 20 and the build that Brady is so diminished that he shouldn't have even comeback for one more shot. Super Bowl 20 rematch with the Bears will be likely in the 100th year anniversary of the NFL and the greatest heels in Brady & Bellicheck ride off into the sunset.

Offline Fan of Sports with Integrity

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 07:43:16 AM »
How high were you when you made that post? Not an insult, I’d post it in the potd thread if we had one.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
  • Laugh This Off... Puddin!
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 07:44:40 AM »
Chiefs and Rams seem like locks in their respective games but the Chiefs are on shaky grounds. They've gone 3-3 since the Rams game while allowing: 54, 33, 24, 29, 38, and 3 (against Oakland). Chiefs have shut down opponents in regards to passing TDs (9th in the NFL) but can be gashed through the ground ranking 27th in yards and 29th in TDs allowed. If the Colts get into a shoot out or force the Chiefs to defend/focus on the run game, the Colts could surprise with a pretty convincing win.

I could see the Chargers beating the Patriots (depends on New England's run game IMO). I think the Pats will concede the yardage to Rivers but if New England can get a modest run game going with Michel/Burkhead/White and keep Rivers off the field, they have a really good chance to pull away in this game. If it gets tight and Rivers is throwing to keep the Chargers in it, I think New England could be in trouble.

Likewise, I could also see the Eagles winning. They got lucky against the Bears but Foles proved he still has that playoff mettle and I'm not quite sold that the Saints D won't let this dissolve into a close shootout. This will come down to Nick Foles and whether he can light up the Saints D along with the Eagles defense winning a turnover battle.

• KOAB
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 07:58:43 AM »
How high were you when you made that post? Not an insult, I’d post it in the potd thread if we had one.

bout this high

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 08:28:39 AM »
There could be upsets in every game.  None of the top four ended the season at their best.  However, I'll rank them from least likely to most likely to lose.  Or at least how surprised I would be.

1.  Patriots - On paper, the Chargers look like the better team.  But the Pats don't lose at home in the playoffs.  They just don't.  Especially with the bye.

2.  Saints - They ended the season flat, but most of those were on the road.  But the Superdome is one of the three toughest places in the NFL to play (the others are Foxboro and Seattle).  However, the Eagles (at least under Foles) are far more proven than the Chargers are, so I believe in them more.

3.  Chiefs - The Chiefs haven't won a home playoff game since Montana, so I'm used to them gagging in this spot.  They have to win sometime, right?  They have no defense and the offense slipped a bit since losing Kareem Hunt.  On the plus side, they have the best player in the NFL in Patrick Mahomes on their team and while they lost a couple down the stretch it wasn't like they got blown out.

4.  Rams - They've played like garbage for awhile and Gurley's not fully healthy.  I was very close to picking Dallas.  I would have picked Philly if they were in this game.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 01:16:03 PM »
Looks like it's gonna be a PLAYOFF SNOW BOWL in KC tomorrow.

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 07:23:10 PM »
I legit think the Eagles have a shot. On top of the fact that we blew them out earlier in the season (some would say ran it up - can't disagree), Foles magic is real.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 09:48:57 PM »
Looks like it's gonna be a PLAYOFF SNOW BOWL in KC tomorrow.

Snow Playoff Games are the BEST. Hell Yeah.

Offline MFer

• The Future Has Arrived
  • Admin
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 02:35:48 AM »
Chiefs: I think a few too many people are quick to crown the Colts. Besides that, I think there are opportunities to be had against Indy's D. I just think that Watson fucked up last week but Mahomes won't.

Cowboys: Dallas is a "live dog" as they say, and I'm not liking the way the Rams have been playing lately. Wouldn't be surprised to see a heavy Cowboys presence in the stands.

Chargers: Hardest call for me. I'm just gonna go with the better team over the Patriots "aura" and home field.

Saints: This is a different team from 2009 besides Payton/Brees, but I think the formula of home field advantage will work all the same. Won't be 48-7 but maybe it'll be 48-35.

Online Kotzenjunge

• looptid
  • Kotzenjunge
    • A site I wrote.
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 03:10:38 AM »
Chiefs
Rams
Chargers
Saints

I hate to go mostly chalk, but the only vulnerable team as I see it is the Patriots. Even then, I'm not confident in picking the Chargers because there's always that "fuck you, we're the Patriots" factor.

Online Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 04:23:16 AM »
Colts
Rams (not sure about this one)
Patriots
Eagles

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Online Aero

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 04:34:22 AM »
Chiefs
Cowboys
Patriots
Saints

Go Chargers go, rooting for them the rest of the way.

• KOAB
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 06:31:56 AM »
Patriots - Under no circumstances does the NFL wanna see a conference title game hosted in a rinky dink soccer stadium that might not even sellout. Although the NFL can show a million shots of the new stadium under construction during a Chargers/Colts to remind casual fans of the future for the NFL... I don't think they'll wanna go down that route.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/sports/NFL-Considers-Moving-AFC-Championship-Game-if-Chargers-Host-It-504245951.html

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2019, 07:24:43 AM »
If the Chiefs win first, that won't be an issue.  If the Colts win today, then expect some shady calls going New England's way.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2019, 07:34:37 AM »
Yeah, moving the game from a 30,000 seat stadium nobody wants to go to to a 100,000 seat stadium nobody will go to will really make things look better.

• KOAB
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2019, 01:57:31 PM »

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2019, 03:10:55 PM »
Let's hope tomorrow's games are more competitive.  Stellar outing for the AFC South in these playoffs.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2019, 08:18:49 PM »
As a Packer fan who suffered from the Triplets in Dallas crushing us for years in the 90s I alway enjoy seeing Dallas lose. Then I think about how the Rams are owned by a Walton kid and I realize that there was no good option.

So... Go Andy Reid and Doug Pederson! 

If that fails... then 3 cheers for Melvin Gordon...

At worst...a mild hurrah for James White.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2019, 01:57:04 AM »
The mind games starting, fellas

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2019, 02:18:00 AM »
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/patriots-vs-chargers-weather-tom-bradys-stats-cold-temperatures-good-pats

"The temperature is not expected to reach 30 degrees or higher, and that's good news for the Patriots. Pats quarterback Tom Brady is no stranger to cold-weather games, and he has a remarkable 23-4 record when the temperature is under 30 degrees. Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers is 1-3 when facing the same cold weather."

Online Aero

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2019, 04:23:37 AM »
The mind games starting, fellas

You'd think they'd have permanently installed one by now. I swear we see this same story every year. This was likely the deciding factor in them getting by the Bryce Petty-led Jets last year in week 17. 

Offline fazzle

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2019, 05:13:46 AM »
Well......maybe we'll get some good games next weekend?

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2019, 05:24:49 AM »
Man, usually the divisional round is good and competitive.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2019, 06:10:30 AM »
Feels like the Patriots are already in both "Fuck You" mode and trying to let up off the gas pedal with 2:00 left in the 4th Quarter.

• KOAB
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2019, 06:50:32 AM »
For some reason I thought the Chargers had an adjustable coaching staff after last week when the defensive scheme got switched up due to Lamar Jackson. Then I find out on the first drive today that isn't the case and these fucks actually came in expecting to play that sorry ass soft zone against the greatest QB when it comes to decimating sorry ass soft zone. Then they somehow expected to play the same way on offense as always against a Bill Bellicheck team with an extra week to prepare.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2019, 07:06:13 AM »
I think that ref was still using last year's catch rules.  How the fuck do you rule that incomplete?

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2019, 10:48:36 AM »
Put Jefferey on suicide watch.  At least we got one competitive game this weekend.

1 vs 2 in both conferences next week and all four teams have powerhouse offenses.  Bet the overs.  Kinda nuts that it's only Brees' third (?) conference title game.

Offline strummer

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2019, 02:34:38 PM »
Yeah that wasn't exactly a great weekend of football but these are clearly the four best teams in the game so championship .Sunday should be a blast

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2019, 03:25:32 AM »
One of the few times I'd be happy with any SOUP matchup that we get: LA/KC = Rematch of a fantastic game, LA/NE = Rematch of 2001 with a hot young HC against Belichick's D prowess, KC/NO = Drew Brees vs. Pat Mahomes and Payton vs. Reid, or NE/NO = Brady vs. Brees in a HOF QB Duel with two very good offenses.

I'd obviously prefer New England in the SOUP but I won't complain otherwise.

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • All hail Gritty!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2019, 03:46:48 AM »
I want the Chiefs to win because Pat Mahomes and Andy needs the choker tag removed. If Reid wins the SB, he's a lock for Canton.
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Offline Cartman

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2019, 05:42:20 AM »
One of the few times I'd be happy with any SOUP matchup that we get: LA/KC = Rematch of a fantastic game, LA/NE = Rematch of 2001 with a hot young HC against Belichick's D prowess, KC/NO = Drew Brees vs. Pat Mahomes and Payton vs. Reid, or NE/NO = Brady vs. Brees in a HOF QB Duel with two very good offenses.

I'd obviously prefer New England in the SOUP but I won't complain otherwise.

This is exactly how I feel. Obviously I want the Pats to win again but I don't expect them to, but there really is no bad Superbowl matchup to watch with these 4 teams.

KKK Bowl II Champion New York Giants
2005 TSM Fantasy Baseball Champion Pawtucket Red Sox
2006 TSM Fantasy Football Champion Pawtucket Patriots!!!
2011 TSM H2H Fantasy Football Champion
2012 TSM H2H Fantasy Football Champion

PSN ID: Theschill