Author Topic: WWF SUPERSTARS IS COMING TO THE NETWORK  (Read 708 times)

Description:

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
WWF SUPERSTARS IS COMING TO THE NETWORK
« on: January 14, 2019, 01:52:25 PM »
Now, much like me, your hopes may be higher than what you will read... but it is a start.  Sounds like January 21st, the Network will upload around 30 episodes starting in April 1992.  Reasons as cited in article below

https://www.wwenetworknews.com/2019/01/15/exclusive-update-on-january-classic-content-on-wwe-network-major-show-to-debut/

On the last day of 2018, we told you via Twitter that we had a very good idea on the classic content for January 2019 and that we’d be sure to tell you all as soon as the details had become as firm as possible. Well, we’re ecstatic to say that the day has finally come! As such, WWE Network News can exclusively reveal that January’s classic content will be:

WWF Superstars from 1992! From April 1992, to be precise. This date is so exact for a reason. As we’ve mentioned here before, Superstars of Wrestling (the show’s original title) is mired in legal issues on several fronts. To the point that WWE has been known to go out of their way to remove all visual and audio references to the name from archival clips. While feasible for the odd match, this issue has always led to WWE shying away from releasing the earlier episodes in full. Thus, beginning in April 1992 is the absolute best compromise, as this is when the name was shortened but Superstars was still the undisputed A-show. Of course, now that the classic version of Superstars is arriving on the WWE Network, WWE can choose to fill in any gaps whenever they wish. They’ve just chosen to start at the point of least resistance for now.

So, when is it coming and how much exactly are we getting? Monday the 21st of January is the answer to your first question. As for how much, we only have an official lock on a handful of episodes for now, but we’ve been told by an extremely reliable source that over 30 episodes are coming (bringing us to  around the end of ’92 from the above starting point) either all on Monday or by the end of January and we have no reason to think otherwise. Of course, we’ll be sure to give you an exact number (with a full episode list if we can) before the 21st.

So there you have it, you finally have your answer to the burning question of January’s classic content on the WWE Network. Are you disappointed that it isn’t Superstars from the mid-80’s (despite the legal issues)? Are you happy to see 1992 WWF finally get some proper representation on the streaming service? I know that you’ll all want to have your say in the comment section, so have at it!
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline Epic by Faith No More

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
Re: WWF SUPERSTARS IS COMING TO THE NETWORK
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 01:55:52 PM »
Can't wait to see all those 1-2-3 Kid squashes from the mid-90s!

Offline CookieMueller

• Forever blowing bubbles
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 09:12:33 AM »
April 1992 is like right when I started watching, aside from a few episodes leading up to wm8, so this is going to be very nostalgic for me. Then the mid-90s less so until 1996 when I will probably be able to recite them from memory because I would record them and watch them like 10 times during the week.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 10:31:50 AM »
I just want to relive Randy Savage vs Jake/Flair.

The idea of Papa Shango making black stuff come out of Warrior's head and him throwing up is right there behind it.

Offline TheSSNintendo

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 10:42:43 AM »
Not a bad start. I started watching around late '92-early '93.

Offline Tino Standard

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 10:56:41 AM »
Starting a year earlier would have gotten us Undertaker locking Warrior in the coffin and Jake’s snake Damien biting Savage, but April 92 is a fun jumping-in point. We get Berzerker trying to impale Undertaker with his sword, Nailz destroying Boss Man, Razor’s debut and Marty Jannetty’s return.

Offline Two-Time Hall of Famer

• Kreese
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 11:00:15 AM »
Glad they're doing this but I would prefer the full run of Prime Time, where any important angles from Superstars (or Challenge) would have been reaired. Also the local promos will surely be missing from these episodes so part of the charm is already gone.

30 episodes starting from 4/18/92 (the date of the name change) brings it right to Marty's return which was the first big angle I remember seeing on TV.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 11:16:25 AM »
Yeah, I'd rather watch more Prime Time than a whole bunch of squashes.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 11:57:53 AM »
Yeah, I'd rather watch more Prime Time than a whole bunch of squashes.

For sure.  And like Kreese said, anything important was shown on PTW anyways.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
[img width=800

• Kreese
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2019, 09:18:44 AM »
If the episodes are all 45 minutes and change then perhaps there will be local promos on there. Not sure which market they would go with (or perhaps there's a master copy of each episode with some other content to pad it out, IDK).

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 08:14:57 AM »
Decided to skim through the selection and wanted to pick one random episode.  Landed on the one from early April 92 with a close up of Papa Shango's face.  Said special interview with Shango and Hitman in action.

Show opened and they talked about Shango lighting his opponent's feet on fire last week and Gene Okerlund has a special interview with him about his powers later in the episode.  We are guaranteed Hitman, Nasty Boys, Repo Man and Crush all in action.  So this looks like full squashes and no "marquee matchup".

Intercontinental Champion Bret Hart squashed jobber Tom Stone.  They had a brief Shawn Michaels cut-in that seems like what would be used for a local market.  I wonder if they shot mini nondescript placeholder ones that will air in these.

Last week must have been a big week because along with Shango using his voodoo to light someone on fire, they also had Bossman get assaulted by the debuting Nailz.  Nailz running in through the crowd in his jump suit is an amazing visual.  Seems all the stuff worth watching from last week from this segment is shown in the entirety here though, so less bothered about missing last week.

[img width=800

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2019, 08:34:34 AM »
Wow.  I really got into wrestling in mid 1993 so Nailz had been gone.  I don't recall too many of his segments in all my past watching so I laughed when he cut a promo.  He got that KHALI voice.

Nastys do their squash which is highlighted by HIGH ENERGY cutting in.  Never knew Koko sang their name.  At least he did in this promo.  Reno Riggins was one of the jobbers.

WBF PPV promo.  Really wouldn't want to watch that with anyone walking in the room and Vince saying super questionable things.

Texas Tornado out next.  Nice surprise as I am not as well versed on Kerry as I should be.  Kinda interesting because he has this up tempo theme but has this awkward and sauntering entrance.  The big sell here is they are sending Texas Tornado to go judge at the WBF next weekend.  He even gets an insert promo where he sounds really excited to be going.  This definitely makes me want to watch more Von Erich.  Granted, this wasn't a good spot in his life but this segment makes him more interesting to me.  His entrance and promo, basically everything out of the ring is awkward.  But he had the most engaging squash of anyone so far.

MOUNTIE PROMO ON SGT SLAUGHTER FROM THE EVENT CENTER - definitely made a good choice in watching this.  Crazy Mountie is followed by a really unintelligible Virgil.  Oh man, he is calling out Kamala, Papa Shango and Nailz.  He isn't afraid of Kamala because he loves the Jungle and after saying some other unconnected things circles back to him being fine against Nailz because he is from the streets and can Rumble in the Jungle.  Classic.

Genius sauntering out, it is the Beverly Brothers.  Some kid in the crowd burns them goo because his sign says BEVERLY SISTERS.  Genius dropped an anti-LOD promo.  Guess I didn't realize they let the Beverly Bros feud with anyone that relevant.  The Beverlys stop the match to harass a kid in the crowd wearing LOD shoulder pads.  They painted LOS on the kids pads which stands for LEGION OF SISSIES. 1992, never change.  They cut in for a really awkward promo from the Beverlys really pushing the Sissy thing including one singing "Mama don't let your babies grow up to be sissies".  I really want to see someone pull off that Beverly Bros theme today.

Wow - they beat the jobber and not only paint LOS on him but put a bad bald cap with a mohawk on the guy and use the kid in the crowd's pads on him.  Big team heeling.

Event Center has El Madator cutting a promo about being around for a while and gunning for the world title before citing the tough competition for those titles like Shawn Michaels, Kamala and Papa Shango.

They really keep pushing Kamala as a top guy and have Dr. Harvey spitting fire on El Madator, Texas Tornado, Jim Duggan and the Warrior but they say they are coming for Macho Man's gold as Kamala does that really uncomfortable poop cry
[img width=800

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 08:45:26 AM »
Stereotype 90s little girl is going nuts for the entrance of Crush.  Covering a lot of ground in these 40 minutes. Mr. Perfect tries putting over Crush until Vince starts comparing him to Perfect, in which case Hennig does that SQUASH.  We cut to Crush giving predictions for the WBF.  Great stuff.

My main memories of Crush were when he joined Mr. Fuji so I wasn't super well versed with Crush outside his PPV matches and being on the Royal Rumble Super Nintendo game.  His finisher just feels like a heel move so it is even more strange when he helps the jobber up and raises his hand before leaving.  Who would've thunk in five years he would have a head tattoo.

Speaking of just wait for what happens in 5/6 years, here comes Papa Shango.  We see Papa doing some voodoo stuff while Gene talks over the video and then when he made Warrior double over before the Warrior gets gooey segment.  Makes me laugh as he drips with black goo just screaming his own name.  Maybe WWF faces were always self-absorbed jerks, I was just young to understand.  Last week's jobber was on fire before he was covered IN THAT EVIL GOO.  Mean Gene called him out so now Mean Gene dripping goo.  Wonder if this had any long term effects on his health.

Here's an odd one.  Kato in the ring to be used as part of jobber tag team with Kevin Kreuger.  They are waiting for High Energy - who are using a Koko song instead of the future Owen theme.  Some kid holds their Hasbro Koko B Ware into the camera because they rule.

Mr. Perfect making fun of High Energy's pants.  Always ahead of his time.
[img width=800

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 08:53:25 AM »
Owen pointing at Frankie as they celebrate was cool but not as cool as REPO MAN, out next!

It is really crazy going back and watching these shows that were essentially commercials for the live event tours after all these years, especially knowing how the business has changed and where the focus is now.

This may be the first time I witnessed Repo Man tie up and drag around a jobber which makes me love him even more.

Promo for LOD may be the most uninspired thing the whole show.  Followed by a Money Inc promo.  We then get a rundown of next week's show.

Breezy 40 minutes - kinda fun.  Don't know where I got April from when I started recapping - the episode ended and it was 6/6/1992.
[img width=800

Offline Kotzenjunge

• looptid
  • Kotzenjunge
    • A site I wrote.
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2019, 12:18:14 PM »
When I was a kid I always thought of Prime Time as the A-show (started watching regularly leading up to WM VII) because it was the one on a cable network that wasn't just recaps like All American was. The earliest Superstars angle I remember vividly was when Earthquake killed Damien. It always felt to me when I was 7 like the show where new dudes debuted and nothing was really competitive.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2019, 12:54:36 PM »
I thought PTW was the A-Show because it was the one where you would regularly see named guys fighting named guys in competitive matches.  You would very rarely see something like Brutus Beefcake vs. Ted Dibiase or Andre the Giant vs. JYD on Superstars/Challenge, but on PTW you'd get stuff like that every week.  They would switch to more squash matches later in the program, but you will still get a lot more star matches than you would in the syndis.

Plus it was two hours instead of just one for Superstars.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2019, 01:04:55 PM »
For example, this was the last PTW I watched about a week or so ago which was the late 1988 show from Paris:

WWF Championship:  Randy Savage vs. Akeem
Hulk Hogan vs. King Haku (this one was from SNME)
WWF Tag Team Championship:  Demolition vs. British Bulldogs
Women's Championship:  Sensational Sherri vs. Rockin' Robin - This was the title change.
Jake Roberts vs. Rick Rude
Andre the Giant vs. Junkyard Dog
Greg Valentine vs Don Muraco
Barry Horowitz vs. Leaping Lanny Poffo

Now that is an extreme example, as the average PTW was nowhere near that loaded, but you would NEVER see a show like that on Superstars or Challenge.

Offline Teenage Mutant King Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2019, 02:58:30 PM »
Fired up 5/30 on random

Lot of focus on Papa Shango's VOODOO CURSE on Ultimate Warrior.

Model Rick Martel stealing Tatanka's feathers is another big storyline.

Model Rick Martel: I'm going to turn your warpath into a trail of tears.

Yikes #problematic promo.

forgot The Berzerker attempting to murder Undertaker.

This episode has the debut of NAILZ, brutally assaulting Big Bossman for putting him in jail. '92 WWF was intense y'all.

Right now it's The Natural Disasters Vs Dwayne Gill and a big galoot named Mike Fury. Mike Fury turns out to be the future Big Guido. Big Guido and Gillberg---that is a BattleBowl team you didn't know existed.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2019, 03:20:08 PM »
Vince decrying the end of scientific wrestling during a Berzerker squash that ends the show. ***** episode.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2019, 05:45:55 AM »
going through more of these.

Texas Tornado cut a promo talking about he's regained his focus and dedicated his life to his family and Jesus Christ. Depressing af considering he'd be dead within 8 or 9 months of this show.

I also LOL'd and Skinner for some reason getting promo time and calling Crush "crunch" ;D

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2019, 10:33:36 AM »
These have been fun to watch. I remember most of the storyline stuff in general but only saw it on PTW. Great white noise while doing stuff but also great to sit and focus on it.

Offline Gert

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2019, 12:54:34 PM »
Fired up 5/30 on random

Lot of focus on Papa Shango's VOODOO CURSE on Ultimate Warrior.

Model Rick Martel stealing Tatanka's feathers is another big storyline.

Model Rick Martel: I'm going to turn your warpath into a trail of tears.

Yikes #problematic promo.

forgot The Berzerker attempting to murder Undertaker.

This episode has the debut of NAILZ, brutally assaulting Big Bossman for putting him in jail. '92 WWF was intense y'all.

Right now it's The Natural Disasters Vs Dwayne Gill and a big galoot named Mike Fury. Mike Fury turns out to be the future Big Guido. Big Guido and Gillberg---that is a BattleBowl team you didn't know existed.

Just watched this two days ago. I know times were different then, but it's crazy there was no blow off to Tatanka-Martel for another six months....

• CXF Writer
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2019, 03:04:09 PM »
It is incredible that WWE strung an 8 or 9 month storyline based on "This guy stole my feathers!"

I know they were sacred feathers but it didn't seem THAT sacred!

Yeah and I agree with SFH that these episodes are perfect background noise. If they get to '94 and '95, it'll be manna from Heaven for me.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2019, 02:36:00 AM »
All knew how odd of an addition Rocco the Ventriloquist Dummy was to LOD but it is even more bizarre when you learn Rocco was introduced partly in response to the Beverly Brothers calling LOD sissies.

"Oh yeah? You think we've gone soft? Well, here is our old ventriloquist dummy!"

Wonder why they didn't do Money Inc/Natural Disasters and LOD/Beverly Brothers at SummerSlam instead of what they did since those seem like the matches they were building to.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2019, 09:45:20 AM »
Just want to say the airbrushed jacket and long tights combo Warrior wears at the top of the 8/8 episode for the interview with Mean Gene and Naitch is so fucking sick.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2019, 04:39:20 AM »
Watching 9/12.

It's weird that Warrior came out without makeup and in street clothes to carry Macho Man to the back after he lost the WWF World Title and got beatdown by Razor.

Guess Warrior wearing facepaint with an orange workshirt and jeans would've been even weirder.

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2019, 06:30:06 AM »
He carried him to "Parts, Unknown" to heal up.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2019, 08:30:16 AM »
Tatanka's undefeated streak was kind of garbage. Did he beat any non jobbers cleanly!?

He couldn't even get a pinfall win over an on his way out the door Mountie on the 9/19 episode!

Offline TheSSNintendo

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2019, 08:58:49 AM »
He did beat Shawn Michaels in early '93 cleanly.

• Kreese
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2019, 09:27:35 AM »
Mountie was supposed to face Bulldog for the IC title at Survivor Series so it makes sense that they were protecting him on the finish. Not sure why Jacques left in the fall of '92.

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2019, 10:59:29 AM »
He did beat Shawn Michaels in early '93 cleanly.
That whole sequence over a few matches was lame, culminating in the DQ at WM9. Either get behind the guy or don't. For fuck sake. Kid me believed!

• CXF Writer
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2019, 10:04:40 AM »
A few stray observations from late September/early October episodes.

Bit of a hot take but I think Razor Ramon might have the best looking chokeslam. He looks he really drives the guy into the mat where as Undertaker, Kane and Big Show's chokeslams look like they'd be kind of fun to take tbh.

I didn't know how hard they tried to sell the Ultimate Maniacs as a team. I thought it was kind of supposed to be a one off but they were really going into overdrive to try and make them the new Mega Powers. Would've been interesting to see where they would've went if Warrior hadn't left. Assuming an attempt at replicating the MEGA POWERS EXPLODE and maybe a Savage  heel turn. Or was a Warrior heel turn in the cards for '93 if he hadn't been a nut?

Most disappointing aspect of these '92 episodes is finally realizing that Kona Crush fucking sucked. I was hyping him up as underrated until a few years ago! But yeah, there's nothing there. He's big but not super impressive looking, bland moveset, kind of athletic but Vince and Mr. Perfect way oversell his athleticism. HORRIBLE PROMOS. WTF did I see in the guy? Was it the cool mullet? Idk.

Even by unimpressive early-mid '90s WWF debuts, Lance Cassidy's debut stood as super forgettable. Just a lot of mediocre arm drags. And his match with a chubby jobber seemed like oddly competitive for a debut. Even Max Moon/Komet Kid got a "Coming Next Week!" graphic. No wonder Lance Cassidy only lasted 2 or 3 months in WWF. Just seems odd all around that Vince would hire the least memorable Armstrong Brother.

Hot take x2...I think Max Moon might have been a fun midcard gimmick if it'd been Konnan under the mask but it just came across as goofy as hell with Mattdotcom's former co worker Paul Diamond under there.

Hot take x3...I really like High Energy and think they would've been fine if they didn't have that godawful ring gear. You're not supposed to agree with the heel commentator at how dumb the babyfaces look. I'd liked to have been a fly on the wall in the creative meeting when someone said "You know what'll get over? Owen Hart arrythmically dancing and clapping and Koko B. Ware constantly pulling his pants up to his nipples?"

Offline JHawk

• Jim Cornette Guy
  • CXF Writer
  • Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
    • Smart Mark Radio
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2019, 10:09:19 AM »
Hey, Koko B. Ware was the Steve Urkel of the WWE, it should have worked, dammit!

/bad Vince impression

• CXF Writer
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2019, 10:18:20 AM »
I wish we would've gotten Koko scream gospel singing "Hey...GOT ANY CHEESE!?" to his opponents now.