Author Topic: In Which I Review Movies Part II  (Read 15326 times)

Description: Molly's Game

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
Re: In Which I Review Movies Part II
« Reply #450 on: January 20, 2020, 04:41:32 PM »

Just Mercy (2019), directed by Destin Daniel Cretton

It will forever bother me that the term "social justice warrior" is a pejorative. When I watch movies like this one, I feel like it should be anything but. In fact, there's a lot of things that bother me when it comes to this movie and almost all of them are the reaction to this movie and what people were saying. There is nothing about Just Mercy that I found to be part of a generic legal drama at all. To write something like that considering the scenes in this movie is rather galling. I found this to be a powerful movie in many respects, even though some of the material is heavy handed. Some of the more heavy handed stuff happens to hit home harder than I had expected. Just Mercy is a movie with a clear goal in line and a narrative point that you are supposed to think is true, that the death penalty is wrong and should be abolished. Maybe the people who wrote bad reviews are in favor of the death penalty. I'm just postulating because I don't know, but I don't understand a lot of the reviews about this film and I probably never will. Alright then. Let's talk about the movie a little bit.

Bryan Stevenson (Michael B. Jordan) is a young would-be lawyer doing an internship in the South while on break from law school at Harvard. That was a mouthful. On this internship, he is tasked with going to death row as an assistant of sorts. At the end of one of his visits, the person he was seeing is accosted by corrections officers because the visit took too long. Also, Bryan being a black man seems to be part of the issue as well. This experience and another that Bryan talks about later in the film seems to shape what his life is to become. After graduating, even though his mother does not want this, Bryan decides that he's going to move to Alabama and take on what would seem to be an impossible task. He is going to make it his life's mission to prevent inmates on death row from being executed. There are some obvious reasons why a young lawyer would be compelled to do this. First, the death penalty is bullshit and should only be used for getting rid of genocidal freaks, if even that. Second, the people on death row are largely poor and had no legal defense, so it's impossible to know if they're actually guilty. Third, and playing into what I said about not knowing if the accused are truly guilty, it's fucking Alabama and most of the inmates on death row are black. This is automatically suspicious.

Bryan does need some help, and this film is based on his memoir, so if anyone is in this film it is because he wanted them to be in the film. Eva (Brie Larson) is his chief assistant, the person from Alabama who helps him get set up down there, who drives him around and helps him with how things work. Without help this would all not be possible. Eventually the movie comes to center around one man and his case. That man is Walter McMillian (Jamie Foxx), a death row inmate whose cell is between that of a man named Herbert Richardson (Rob Morgan) and Anthony Ray Hinton (O'Shea Jackson Jr.). Bryan decides that he is going to take all of their cases. In the case of Herbert, he made the mistake of making a bomb that he said was not meant to explode, but merely to terrify someone who had broken up with him. Herbert was a Vietnam veteran who came back with PTSD, who was clearly messed up in the head, and had never been given access to psychological help. The death penalty is still wrong. Hinton had been convicted of murdering two fast food workers during robberies. Someone who was in a third robbery picked Hinton's photo out of a lineup, Hinton was given extremely poor defense from a racist public defender, and he was convicted even though his boss said he was at work. That's what life in a racist society is like. McMillian got it really bad. He was arrested for killing an 18 year old white girl because someone had to be arrested, and that was one of the only reasons at all. The prosecution seems to have gotten two witnesses to give bullshit testimony, and McMillian is set to die. Somehow, someway, this must be stopped.

I had to wind down that last paragraph a little too quickly, but I'm not capabable of explaining the entire movie anyway. This movie has some powerful scenes. When Bryan is strip searched is the first of those scenes. I find it really odd that people are able to downplay this stuff as merely being heavy handed. For a large number of people in this country, being treated like this is a nightmare that they live in fear of. I must reiterate that I don't understand how something like this is dismissed when I hear a movie theater full of people nearly in tears for this scene. Then, when one of the men is executed, that was probably the hardest I've had to try to keep myself from crying in a theater because literally everyone else in the theater was doing it. This sequence is extremely well filmed and the film as a whole is free of the melodrama that you often find in such legal films. Part of that is because of the quality of the actors involved and it is also due to a good script. It's easy to forget because he's in a lot of really shitty movies, but Jamie Foxx is a really good actor when he's in a project with a good script and something to make work of. It's hard to do something with a movie like 2018's Robin Hood, I don't think anyone could. I will also say that The Irishman must have been fucking amazing for Foxx to not have been nominated for an Academy Award.

There are some things here that I find to be a bit too common in movies, and what I'm referring to when I say that is that the only kinds of movies featuring black actors that get nominated for awards or are considered to be nominated for awards feature bad shit happening to black people. I'm sure I've pointed this out before. That doesn't mean these movies shouldn't be made, I'm not saying anything like that, I'm just saying what I'm saying. As far as movies about these kinds of court cases go, this is a very good one as it packs emotional weight that the others do not. There are a few other ways this story could have been made, but I think this one was best befitting of its subjects. The scenes on death row are what really set this film apart from the rest, but I also appreciated that this was a movie that left nothing in doubt for any melodramatic revelations later on, a movie that was resolute in telling you the man was innocent, and framing things in a way that it never could have been in question.

8/10

2019 Films Ranked

Spoiler: show

1.   Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
2.   Parasite
3.   1917
4.   Midsommar
5.   Ad Astra
6.   The Lighthouse
7.   Waves
8.   The Farewell
9.   Knives Out
10.   Uncut Gems
11.   Booksmart
12.   Avengers: Endgame
13.   Queen & Slim
14.   Toy Story 4
15.   Joker
16.   A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
17.   John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum
18.   Us
19.   Ford v. Ferrari
20.   Gloria Bell
21.   The Beach Bum
22.   Just Mercy
23.   The Art of Self-Defense
24.   Dark Waters
25.   El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie
26.   Arctic
27.   Spider-Man: Far From Home
28.   Rocketman
29.   High Flying Bird
30.   The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind
31.   Paddleton
32.   Richard Jewell
33.   The Peanut Butter Falcon
34.   Honey Boy
35.   Doctor Sleep
36.   Hustlers
37.   Blinded by the Light
38.   Captain Marvel
39.   Jojo Rabbit
40.   Long Shot
41.   Shazam
42.   Ready or Not
43.   A Vigilante
44.   Late Night
45.   Crawl
46.   It: Chapter Two
47.   Hotel Mumbai
48.   Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
49.   Zombieland: Double Tap
50.   Harriet
51.   Hobbs & Shaw
52.   Official Secrets
53.   Always Be My Maybe
54.   Cold Pursuit
55.   The Laundromat
56.   Where'd You Go, Bernadette
57.   Shaft
58.   Happy Death Day 2U
59.   Ma
60.   Terminator: Dark Fate
61.   Annabelle Comes Home
62.   Greta
63.   Jumanji: The Next Level
64.   Aladdin
65.   Triple Frontier
66.   Fighting with My Family
67.   Godzilla: King of the Monsters
68.   Pokemon: Detective Pikachu
69.   Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile
70.   Brexit
71.   The Dirt
72.   Velvet Buzzsaw
73.   Stuber
74.   Little
75.   Alita: Battle Angel
76.   The Good Liar
77.   The Current War: Director's Cut
78.   The Kid
79.   Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
80.   The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part
81.   Good Boys
82.   The Upside
83.   The Lion King
84.   Dumbo
85.   The Hummingbird Project
86.   Escape Room
87.   47 Meters Down: Uncaged
88.   Brian Banks
89.   Tolkien
90.   The Dead Don't Die
91.   Captive State
92.   The Highwaymen
93.   Bombshell
94.   Pet Sematary
95.   The Intruder
96.   Child's Play
97.   21 Bridges
98.   Gemini Man
99.   Brightburn
100.   Never Grow Old
101.   Rambo: Last Blood
102.   Midway
103.   Angel Has Fallen
104.   Black and Blue
105.   Yesterday
106.   Anna
107.   What Men Want
108.   Them That Follow
109.   Unicorn Store
110.   The Curse of La Llorona
111.   Miss Bala
112.   Men in Black: International
113.   The Red Sea Diving Resort
114.   The Perfection
115.   Hellboy
116.   Glass
117.   Dark Phoenix
118.   Tyler Perry's A Madea Family Funeral
119.   The Kitchen
120.   The Hustle
121.   The Best of Enemies
122.   The Prodigy
123.   Polar
124.   Serenity

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Joyful & Soyful

• brock lock
« Reply #451 on: January 21, 2020, 12:13:43 PM »
I think you'd love The Irishman if you ever watch it and out of all the nominees Anthony Hopkins in The Two Popes is far more undeserving than Pacino or Pesci. I can see qualms about Pacino since its a very hoo hah performance, but I thought his take on Hoffa might be been the most entertaining performance of the year and he hasn't been this good in decades. It has been a stacked year for great male supporting performances though. I'd probably have Shia from Honey Boy and Willem Dafoe in Lighthouse in there over Pitt or Hanks tbh. Still need to watch Just Mercy, but I'm sure Foxx is amazing.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #452 on: January 21, 2020, 12:27:16 PM »
Yeah, just sacrifice the time you've reserved to watch two movies you think are probably garbage and watch the Irishman, even if you have to split up the viewing time.

• Admin
« Reply #453 on: January 21, 2020, 12:52:39 PM »
I'm gonna do it Saturday. 99% sure I have the time.

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

• Admin
« Reply #454 on: January 21, 2020, 06:38:50 PM »

All the Money in the World (2017), directed by Ridley Scott

I remember the day it was announced that Kevin Spacey was going to be removed from All the Money in the World. While that was something that needed to be done, I thought there was also another side to this decision. In doing so, the producers gave a unique movie about an unknown subject a chance of clawing back some money when it otherwise would not have made anything at all. Unfortunately this was not a film that made money, but that's alright. The cat and mouse games of kidnapping thrillers will likely always be entertaining to me. There's a few reasons why. For one, nobody makes those movies anymore as they rarely make money and cinematic content is less adult oriented these days anyway. There's also the reality of these situations leading to wild scenarios that are hard to believe. In some cases they're true and in others they aren't. What we have with All the Money in the World is a good movie that almost reaches great heights. There were a lot of great movies in 2017 though. I also wonder how long Ridley Scott will continue to work. He's 82 and he has a lot of projects announced that haven't yet been followed up on. Lately his movies have been hit or miss as well. Hopefully that isn't the case with the ones that close out his career.

All the Money in the World is set in 1973, with John Paul Getty III (Charlie Plummer) out on the town in Rome, looking to get some or perhaps even get in trouble. He goes by Paul, and Paul is the grandson of the richest man in the world, J. Paul Getty (Christopher Plummer), who will be referred to as Getty for the rest of this review. While out on the town that night, Paul is kidnapped by a mysterious group of individuals, who we later learn are affiliated with organized crime. After this scene, we are taken back to Paul's childhood in San Francisco. Living with his mom Gail (Michelle Williams) and his father John Paul Getty Jr. (Andrew Buchan) was a good time. John drank a little too much, and everyone was a little too broke, but things are alright. When John was a kid, he was basically abandoned by his father and left to learn the way of the world himself. No great fortune was passed down to him or anything of the sort. One day, Gail and John get the gumption to get in contact with John's father, which leads to them being flown to Rome. Over the process of things, John is given a job by his father even though he knows nothing of the oil business, and Paul becomes Getty's favorite grandchild.

In large part because of John's access to his father's fortune, John becomes a drug addict who just can't help himself. Getty had changed in his old age, now wanting the family that he'd already had and ignored before. The divorce of Gail and John is not so great. In the process, Gail rejects alimony in exchange for custody of her children. This is pertinent as now she does not have the money to pay any ransom, and the kidnappers want $17,000,000. Getty decides to go on television and say that he has no intention of paying any ransom on any of his grandchildren, as doing so enables people to get rich by taking his family captive. It was assumed by the kidnappers that Gail was rich herself, which is not true, so now there's a problem. Getty also decides to ask a former CIA operative, Fletcher Chace (Mark Wahlberg), to get involved with investigating the case. Chace and Getty have history, Chace helps him negotiate deals in places like Saudi Arabia. As for Paul, he is now a hostage and hidden deep in Italy, away from people and anyone who may find him. Cinquanta (Romain Duris) is the lead captor, and everyone seems to be somewhat friendly with Paul, but Gail doesn't have any money. It is going to take a very long time to get a ransom, and the captors believe they may not get one at all. As for the case, it is being investigated by the Carabinieri, who believe that communists may have done this. Everyone suspected communists in those days, and Getty being super rich is another reason for the suspicion. It isn't them though.

This movie is pretty good although not great, and there's one specific scene where Wahlberg's character is threatening Getty, and that really didn't do it for me at all. It is clear that the events have been spiced up a bit in order to make this a good movie, and I thought that worked. Not knowing exactly what happened, I was rather surprised by the way the situation with Paul was resolved. I'll keep that to myself just in case, but this movie has pretty good thematic elements to discuss. Obviously, the title gives away what this movie is really about, and Plummer has quite a few scenes where he can explicitly say it. Money is a corruptive element that creates a lot of problems with our society. Most people will do pretty much anything to have it, within reason. Some people don't have reason. In this film, Getty is painted as not having reason the same way that the kidnappers don't. He utterly refuses to give in even when his grandson's ear is sent to the newspaper, and is a miserable fuck even though he has tons of money. One thing I find interesting as it relates to that is Kevin Spacey's replacement in the film. I'm uncertain that it was made clear if other people in Hollywood knew about what he had done prior to any public release of information. I don't remember. Money seemed to be no object in the case of replacing him in this movie, I do know that.

Plummer's performance in this movie was pretty good and he was nominated for it, but I thought that Michelle Williams did an even better job in her lead role. Certainly more deserving of a nomination than Meryl Streep was for The Post. There are also so many things in this movie that I would find to be difficult to film in a way that's easy to understand. This isn't a great movie because the family dynamics never really go as far as they probably should, but this movie is plenty long enough as it is and doesn't need more scenes. This isn't one of Scott's best movies or anything, and I think it's more fit for fans of this kind of genre, but I liked the movie well enough.

7.5/10

2017 Films Ranked

1.   Dunkirk
2.   Phantom Thread
3.   The Shape of Water
4.   Get Out
5.   Good Time
6.   The Killing of a Sacred Deer
7.   Mudbound
8.   Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
9.   Logan
10.   Baby Driver
11.   The Post
12.   Wonder Woman
13.   The Big Sick
14.   Lady Bird
15.   Wind River
16.   Thor: Ragnarok
17.   mother!
18.   Logan Lucky
19.   The Beguiled
20.   The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected)
21.   Star Wars: The Last Jedi
22.   Brawl in Cell Block 99
23.   John Wick: Chapter 2
24.   The Disaster Artist
25.   The Lost City of Z
26.   First They Killed My Father
27.   A Ghost Story
28.   Last Flag Flying
29.   Hostiles
30.   All the Money in the World
31.   Darkest Hour
32.   Spider-Man: Homecoming
33.   I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore
34.   Sweet Virginia
35.   It
36.   Battle of the Sexes
37.   Stronger
38.   Brad's Status
39.   Okja
40.   Norman: The Moderate Rise and Tragic Fall of a New York Fixer
41.   Kong: Skull Island
42.   It Comes at Night
43.   Happy End (foreign movie, did not write review)
44.   Crown Heights
45.   Split
46.   1922
47.   Personal Shopper
48.   Landline
49.   Thank You for Your Service
50.   Beatriz at Dinner
51.   Chuck
52.   Atomic Blonde
53.   Shot Caller
54.   Wheelman
55.   Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
56.   Wonder
57.   Brigsby Bear
58.   The Lego Batman Movie
59.   Megan Leavey
60.   Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
61.   Wonderstruck
62.   Only the Brave
63.   Marshall
64.   Menashe
65.   Roman J. Israel, Esq.
66.   Walking Out
67.   American Made
68.   Annabelle: Creation
69.   Beauty and the Beast
70.   Imperial Dreams
71.   Gifted
72.   Murder on the Orient Express
73.   My Friend Dahmer
74.   The Zookeeper's Wife
75.   The Glass Castle
76.   The Foreigner
77.   Free Fire
78.   Win It All
79.   The Wall
80.   Jungle
81.   Life
82.   My Cousin Rachel
83.   Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
84.   The Ballad of Lefty Brown
85.   The Fate of the Furious
86.   Breathe
87.   The Man Who Invented Christmas
88.   Maudie
89.   Patti Cake$
90.   Sleight
91.   Alone in Berlin
92.   A United Kingdom
93.   Trespass Against Us
94.   The Mountain Between Us
95.   War Machine
96.   Happy Death Day
97.   Lowriders
98.   Justice League
99.   To the Bone
100.   Ghost in the Shell
101.   Wakefield
102.   Bright
103.   The Tribes of Palos Verdes
104.   The Hitman's Bodyguard
105.   Mark Felt: The Man Who Brought Down the White House
106.   XXX: Return of Xander Cage
107.   The Mummy
108.   The Greatest Showman
109.   Rough Night
110.   King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
111.   Sand Castle
112.   The Circle
113.   American Assassin
114.   CHiPs
115.   Death Note
116.   47 Meters Down
117.   The Belko Experiment
118.   The Great Wall
119.   Fist Fight
120.   Baywatch
121.   Snatched
122.   Suburbicon
123.   Wilson
124.   The Dark Tower
125.   Queen of the Desert
126.   The House
127.   Flatliners
128.   Sleepless
129.   Geostorm
130.   All Eyez on Me
131.   The Snowman
132.   The Book of Henry
133.   The Space Between Us
134.   Daddy's Home 2

• Admin
« Reply #455 on: January 25, 2020, 03:54:30 PM »
Bad shit just keeps happening and I’m spending another full night at the hospital. I saw Clemency way earlier and can’t write a review, and I obviously couldn’t watch The Irishman tonight either. This shit sucks so much.

• Admin
« Reply #456 on: February 06, 2020, 06:06:37 PM »

The Miseducation of Cameron Post (2018), directed by Desiree Akhavan

The picture I posted just makes this look like an indie movie, doesn't it? I'm trying very hard to get back into the groove of reviewing movies that I watch at home, but it's been difficult to find the time to actually watch them in the first place. All I can say is that I'm trying my best to carve out the time to do the things that I like to do. Anyway, I saw that The Miseducation of Cameron Post was expiring on HBO and figured that I really needed to get on that while I had the chance. This was a movie I wanted to see in theaters almost two years ago, but I didn't have the chance as the nearest showing was 40 minutes away. I ain't fucking with a 40 minute drive to see a damn movie. With that in mind, let's talk about the movie itself. The Miseducation of Cameron Post is a rather short feature that seems to go by very quickly. It's also strange because the film is set in 1993 and I fully remember how people acted in those days, both teachers and students alike. I also think the film ends too soon in many respects. Inconclusive is the word that I would use. It's still good, but I wouldn't say that I liked it. Liking a movie should be reserved for those that aren't so sad, that don't make you think about all the people who have been forced to go through this process.

As already said, it's 1993. Cameron Post (Chloe Grace Moretz) is a teenager in high school, doing the things that teenagers in high school like to do. She is in two relationships though. One is with her boyfriend Jamie (Dalton Harrod), and the other is with her best friend Coley (Quinn Shephard). Coley is, as you might suspect, a girl. Her name gives that away. On the night of homecoming, Jamie walks in on them having sex in Coley's car, which leads to Jamie telling Cameron's aunt Ruth (Kerry Butler). Cameron's parents died in a car accident many years before, so now Ruth is her guardian. Ruth is also very Christian. She decides to send her niece off to a conversion camp called God's Promise, which is run by a Dr. Lydia Marsh (Jennifer Ehle) and a reverend named Rick (John Gallagher Jr.). This is a concept that certainly sounds like nightmare fuel for some. Rick claims that his sister Lydia cured him of his own homosexuality after two members of his church found him at a gay bar. This kind of thing is so ridiculous, it's too bad that there are people who profess that this happened to them. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to believe it.

In something I found rather surprising considering the reason everyone's there, Cameron is given a roommate, Erin (Emily Skeggs). Erin is there because her parents want her there, but in the process of going to this place there is emotional abuse. One of the first activities that new campgoers must do is fill out a chart explaining what their problems are, and how it is that they may have come to be gay. Erin believes that her interest in sports was a great factor in her having homosexual feelings. Over the course of things, we are shown how these gay conversion camps work or used to work, and how fucked up that is. For the most part the subject matter is treated with care and not made into a melodrama with a lot of shock value. Gay people at conversion camp are still real people, after all. Cameron eventually comes to make two friends, Jane (Sasha Lane) and Adam (Forrest Goodluck). Jane was raised on a commune and Adam is Lakota, both were taken away from their parents as a result of newfound Evangelism. The ultimate problem here, of course, is the religion of the people who have decided to send their kids off to self-hate camp.

Considering I saw this film after the fact, it is very lazy to compare The Miseducation of Cameron Post to Boy Erased, but I am very lazy and films in the same subgenres need to be compared to one another. Of course, they were also released in the same year. I felt that The Miseducation of Cameron Post could have been a better movie than it actually was. The film is a good one, of course, but it lacks in conclusion. Considering the subject matter I find that to be a bit of a problem. For the most part I've already said what I wanted to say, but I think the film lacks in punch. It needs more of it. There's a scene off-screen where someone attempts to cut their genitals into pieces. I'm not saying we need to see that, but the film is lacking a hard hitting moment. That's one opportunity where a confident filmmaker would have made one. However, there are scenes that do land harder than the rest. Adam having his head shaved is one of those scenes. The repression of sexuality permeates the whole movie. The scene where Cameron is telling the reverend that he's unqualified to do this is powerful but may be a bit too on the nose. Moretz does put in a very good performance as well. It's essential because the entire film revolves around her, but there are other movies with that focus on their lead character where it turns out the actor or actress is incapable of doing what is required of them.

This is what I would call a good, solid movie. If you're hoping for more, you won't get that. By no means is this a bad movie though. What I kept thinking about during this film, is what would have happened if my parents were pieces of shit who sent my brother to a place like this.

7/10

2018 Films Ranked

1.   Roma
2.   A Star Is Born
3.   First Reformed
4.   The Favourite
5.   Widows
6.   First Man
7.   BlacKkKlansman
8.   Blindspotting
9.   Leave No Trace
10.   Black Panther
11.   If Beale Street Could Talk
12.   The Sisters Brothers
13.   A Private War
14.   Avengers: Infinity War
15.   Stan & Ollie
16.   Green Book
17.   Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
18.   Mission: Impossible - Fallout
19.   The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
20.   On My Skin
21.   Private Life
22.   Climax
23.   Can You Ever Forgive Me?
24.   Mid90s
25.   Eighth Grade
26.   Sorry to Bother You
27.   Suspiria
28.   Vice
29.   The Old Man & the Gun
30.   Vox Lux
31.   Bad Times at the El Royale
32.   The Other Side of the Wind
33.   Searching
34.   A Simple Favor
35.   The Hate U Give
36.   Unsane
37.   Disobedience
38.   Boy Erased
39.   Bumblebee
40.   Mary Poppins Returns
41.   Creed II
42.   Hold the Dark
43.   The Land of Steady Habits
44.   Halloween
45.   Ant-Man and the Wasp
46.   The Miseducation of Cameron Post
47.   Blockers
48.   Beirut
49.   Roxanne Roxanne
50.   Tully
51.   Mary Queen of Scots
52.   Aquaman
53.   Ideal Home
54.   Outlaw King
55.   Overlord
56.   Ready Player One
57.   Ben Is Back
58.   Monsters and Men
59.   The Mule
60.   On the Basis of Sex
61.   Bohemian Rhapsody
62.   White Boy Rick 
63.   Papillon
64.   Game Night
65.   Sicario 2: Day of the Soldado
66.   Ocean's Eight
67.   Alpha
68.   Come Sunday
69.   Instant Family
70.   The Front Runner
71.   The Predator
72.   Apostle
73.   Uncle Drew
74.   The Cured
75.   The Commuter
76.   The Angel
77.   Tag
78.   Beautiful Boy
79.   The Nun
80.   Operation Finale
81.   The Equalizer 2
82.   The Spy Who Dumped Me
83.   Cargo
84.   Yardie
85.   Bird Box
86.   12 Strong
87.   Venom
88.   Skyscraper
89.   The Meg
90.   Assassination Nation
91.   Backstabbing for Beginners
92.   The Girl in the Spider's Web
93.   The House with a Clock in Its Walls
94.   22 July
95.   Tomb Raider
96.   Rampage
97.   Hotel Artemis
98.   Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
99.   The Little Stranger
100.   7 Days in Entebbe
101.   Night School
102.   The 15:17 To Paris
103.   Peppermint
104.   Mile 22
105.   The First Purge
106.   Hunter Killer
107.   The Hurricane Heist
108.   The Cloverfield Paradox
109.   Breaking In
110.   Mute
111.   Kin
112.   Hell Fest
113.   Proud Mary
114.   Robin Hood
115.   Traffik
116.   Winchester
117.   The Happytime Murders
118.   The Outsider
119.   Slender Man

• Admin
« Reply #457 on: February 07, 2020, 06:05:34 PM »

Downsizing (2017), directed by Alexander Payne

I'm in a different position than I'm usually in when it comes to Downsizing. Very rarely does it feel like I'm the person who hated a movie way more than critics did, but Downsizing is that kind of movie. Even great directors have major misfires and I think this was one of them. What we have in Downsizing is a movie that tries to tie together a lot of ambitious ideas and fails at doing so. As a result, the film feels totally insane and nonsensical, I found the characters to largely be impossible to identify with or take seriously. That's a very harsh takedown, I suppose. One of these ideas does resonate with me though. Arguably this is a racist caricature of a Vietnamese person, but the movie does make a person think about the choice of doing something contrasted with being forced to do something nobody would want to do. That was the idea that really seemed to come together, and what keeps this movie from being a complete disaster on all levels. In the context of 2017 I am surprised that Paramount would greenlight both this and mother! in the same year. Then I thought about what they've done since then. They have learned all the wrong lessons and defaulted to making absolute garbage. I am somewhat surprised their studio has been able to remain open, but if they have a bad slate this year they're completely screwed.

Downsizing is set at some time in the very near future, and the first scene revolves around a scientist named Jorgen Asbjornsen (Rolf Lassgard). Climate change and overpopulation is effectively destroying the Earth, so Asbjornsen is attempting to perfect an extreme solution. Downsizing is his goal. The point is to shrink people to a height of five inches, and shrink goods in order to serve that kind of population. Eventually he comes to perfect the process and downsizes an entire colony of people, which leads us to the rest of the story many years on from that. Paul (Matt Damon) and Audrey (Kristen Wiig) are the Safranek's, and they live in Omaha. Paul works at Omaha Steaks, and Audrey works in a store. These two have some financial problems, but they're looking to buy a new house. Property values are tanking as a result of downsizing, so they're looking for houses they could ordinarily not afford. They're still not able to buy one though. Eventually they are visited by some friends, Dave (Jason Sudeikis) and Carol (Maribeth Monroe). Why does that matter? Dave and Carol have chosen to move to New Mexico and downsize.

The process of downsizing is easier for people than you'd think. There's obviously a medical procedure, and that isn't covered by insurance. The thing is, if a person is able to liquidate their assets, should they have assets, they can pay for all that and more. The Safranek's have some assets, and though downsizing was supposed to be environmentally friendly, it's also a way for people to save money. Leisureland in New Mexico is what you'd call a rich person's paradise, except you don't have to be rich in order to enjoy life there. Paul and Audrey decide that they want to do with. But, what if life in Leisureland isn't all that it's cracked up to be? Who does the shit jobs in Leisureland? That kind of infrastructure isn't self-sustainable and it needs people to shrink to do things that they shouldn't have to do in order to live. These questions and more are answered should you decide to watch Downsizing.

I did my best selljob on this film, but everything doesn't really come together the way that it should. One of plot threads is pretty good, but I still don't know what to make of it and how I'll feel about it in a few days. The rest of the film is very much not good with the exception of the slums of Leisureland. This kind of thing is like candy for liberals, so I'm not surprised that people gave the film a good review despite everything else that's wrong with it. I am very surprised that this was in top ten rankings for 2017. I can't agree with that. Hong Chau's performance feels like a racist caricature, but she's responded to that by strongly questioning how or why anyone would think that, so maybe I shouldn't say that at all. Movies like this one are strange in that they leave me completely at a loss for words. This movie is such a mess for so long. There are little things that kept me hanging on to see where this would go, and the conclusion of the film was alright. So, I don't know what to think. If anyone reads this and really wants to know, ask me in a week and I'll tell you. One thing sticking with me is that this is another movie where some random white guy learns how to live their life through a minority. But, in the case of this movie anyway, there are two older white guys who contribute a lot to his viewpoint. So, I don't know.

4.5/10

2017 Films Ranked

1.   Dunkirk
2.   Phantom Thread
3.   The Shape of Water
4.   Get Out
5.   Good Time
7.   Mudbound
9.   Logan
10.   Baby Driver
11.   The Post
12.   Wonder Woman
13.   The Big Sick
14.   Lady Bird
15.   Wind River
17.   mother!
18.   Logan Lucky
19.   The Beguiled
25.   The Lost City of Z
27.   A Ghost Story
28.   Last Flag Flying
29.   Hostiles
31.   Darkest Hour
32.   Spider-Man: Homecoming
33.   I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore
34.   Sweet Virginia
35.   It
36.   Battle of the Sexes
37.   Stronger
38.   Brad's Status
39.   Okja
40.   Norman: The Moderate Rise and Tragic Fall of a New York Fixer
41.   Kong: Skull Island
42.   It Comes at Night
43.   Happy End (foreign movie, did not write review)
44.   Crown Heights
45.   Split
46.   1922
47.   Personal Shopper
48.   Landline
49.   Thank You for Your Service
50.   Beatriz at Dinner
51.   Chuck
52.   Atomic Blonde
53.   Shot Caller
54.   Wheelman
55.   Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
56.   Wonder
57.   Brigsby Bear
58.   The Lego Batman Movie
59.   Megan Leavey
60.   Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
61.   Wonderstruck
62.   Only the Brave
63.   Marshall
64.   Menashe
65.   Roman J. Israel, Esq.
66.   Walking Out
67.   American Made
68.   Annabelle: Creation
69.   Beauty and the Beast
70.   Imperial Dreams
71.   Gifted
72.   Murder on the Orient Express
73.   My Friend Dahmer
74.   The Zookeeper's Wife
75.   The Glass Castle
76.   The Foreigner
77.   Free Fire
78.   Win It All
79.   The Wall
80.   Jungle
81.   Life
82.   My Cousin Rachel
83.   Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
84.   The Ballad of Lefty Brown
85.   The Fate of the Furious
86.   Happy Death Day
87.   Breathe
88.   The Man Who Invented Christmas
89.   Maudie
90.   Patti Cake$
91.   Sleight
92.   Alone in Berlin
93.   A United Kingdom
94.   Trespass Against Us
95.   The Mountain Between Us
96.   War Machine
97.   Lowriders
98.   Justice League
99.   To the Bone
100.   Ghost in the Shell
101.   Wakefield
102.   Downsizing
103.   Bright
104.   The Tribes of Palos Verdes
105.   The Hitman's Bodyguard
106.   Mark Felt: The Man Who Brought Down the White House
107.   XXX: Return of Xander Cage
108.   The Mummy
109.   The Greatest Showman
110.   Rough Night
111.   King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
112.   Sand Castle
113.   The Circle
114.   American Assassin
115.   CHiPs
116.   Death Note
117.   47 Meters Down
118.   The Belko Experiment
119.   The Great Wall
120.   Fist Fight
121.   Baywatch
122.   Snatched
123.   Suburbicon
124.   Wilson
125.   The Dark Tower
126.   Queen of the Desert
127.   The House
128.   Flatliners
129.   Sleepless
130.   Geostorm
131.   All Eyez on Me
132.   The Snowman
133.   The Book of Henry
134.   The Space Between Us
135.   Daddy's Home 2

• Admin
« Reply #458 on: February 16, 2020, 05:18:03 PM »

Best of the Best (1989), directed by Robert Radler

I'm not doing a full review because I just live chatted this movie. I lost a bet a while ago and I totally forgot to watch this until now. Anyway, what I was gonna say is that Best of the Best is definitely a movie of its time. I also think this is a movie that could have been a hell of a lot better. With a cast like this, with the melodrama that this movie needs in its fighting scenes, some of the sequences prior to the fighting tournament are totally confusing. This is also a film with a good cast and a lot of comedy, unintentional or otherwise. The problem is that it takes way too long for this movie to get to the fighting, and the script makes some bad scenes that are hard to get through on the way there.

4.5/10

Offline The Art of Rasslin'

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #459 on: February 17, 2020, 04:32:43 AM »
he meant 4+5 y'all, 9 is a solid score

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

Offline Joyful & Soyful

• brock lock
« Reply #460 on: February 17, 2020, 04:37:49 AM »
2 is way better. Add Wayne Newton as a pervy villain, set it in Vegas, add a drunken older Native American brother played by Billy from Predator, take away the melodrama and add more blood and you got a 10/10 movie.

Sorry povy but I find the first kind of dull.

• Admin
« Reply #461 on: February 17, 2020, 06:22:40 PM »
Trying hard to get back on the horse here. I figure it'll be like when I used to force myself to do things and started to look forward to it more and more. I don't want to review anything I was REALLY looking forward to until I'm out of this funk.

The Death of Stalin (2018), directed by Armando Iannucci

I was supposed to watch this months ago, but I've had some difficulties and could not. It is going to be hard to review this because there's a lot here to take in. I was thinking that this movie couldn't possibly live up to some of the scores that it received, and in a lot of ways it did not. In a lot of ways it also did. Balancing a movie like this one is extremely difficult. There's two ways to make a movie about when Stalin died. One is to be as serious and historically correct as possible. The other way is what happened here, to make a movie that would make people laugh and have cinematic appeal while retaining enough accuracy to get the nuts and bolts down. In the process what we have is a movie that goes straight for laughs, initially failing, but once the movie stepped up a bit and I became more familiar with the characters, I liked it more and more. You might ask what's to like? That's a good question, considering all the people portrayed in this movie were objectively terrible. That's why this had to be a satire. The gallows humor here was worth waiting for.

The Death of Stalin starts in 1953, with Joseph Stalin (Adrian McLoughlin) at his dacha in Moscow. He is listening to a concert on the radio and demands that it be delivered to him via record. Problem is, the concert house did not record this. As such, to demonstrate how important Stalin is, the orchestra is made to recreate the performance. The pianist, Maria Yudina (Olga Kurylenko), is able to slip a note inside of the record sleeve on its way to Stalin. On this night, Stalin is with his friends on the Central Committee, or at least some of them. This is his inner circle though. They're drinking and watching Westerns because that's what Stalin wants, and we are introduced to them during this. Nikita Khrushchev (Steve Buscemi) has been recalled to Moscow due to paranoias of Stalin and is now in his inner circle. Lavrentiy Beria (Simon Russell Beale) is the head of the secret police. Not so secret I guess you'd say. Vyacheslav Molotov (Michael Palin) is the foreign minister. He is also on an execution list that Stalin has crafted for Beria. For that matter, so was Molotov's wife, who was executed five years previously. Lastly, on this night anyway, you have Georgy Malenkov (Jeffrey Tambor). Malenkov is simply very good at sucking Stalin's ass.

Okay, so that was difficult to explain. Anyway, the record with Yudina's note is transported to Stalin. It's not a good note, and when he reads it, he has a cerebral hemorrhage. The guards outside are terrified to go in the room and see what happened to Stalin as they think they'll be shot, so they wait until the maid comes next morning. When she walks in, she discovers that Stalin is paralyzed and has been laying on the floor covered in his own piss for quite some time. How could this happen in the great Soviet Union? After this, we are interested to the other members of the Central Committee, which are genuinely not that important in the context of this film. Beria also discoveres the note from Yudina and keeps it until it becomes useful to him. What he really wants is for Malenkov to become the General Secretary of the party, because Beria is convinced that he can make the weak Malenkov into a puppet. The rest of the movie plays out with Khrushchev and Beria both jockeying for power, regardless of the cost.

This movie is much funnier than I made it sound, but most of that happens once Jason Isaacs shows up as Georgy Zhukov. Zhukov held the rank of Marshal, which is a big deal as I'm sure you know. Anyway, he demanded to know what was going on with the Red Army and things would snowball from there. What I appreciate about this movie is that it unabashedly attempts to be funny until the climax in the last ten minutes of the film. There are aspects of that which are amusing even though I'm not sure it was supposed to be. What this movie attempts to do is make clear what politics actually is to most of the people who participate in it. This is something borne out over time and is always the case. The people who want power don't have any real beliefs. They have the skill to advance their position to the point where they hold power, and that's basically what the Soviet Union was all about. I'm not really reinventing the wheel with this review, I'm just pointing out the obvious. Everyone in this movie is supposed to be scummy, and maybe this would be even more hilarious if I was in a good mood, which I'm not. Instead, this was a funny movie with a lot of good acting, I found. It is also nice to see the conclusion and how interpersonal relationships with scummy people can culminate in a coup.

There's definitely something sticking with me though. It's that I'm not sure this is the appropriate way to deal with people who killed so many. I absolutely do not have the answer for that problem, but I'm having it right now. Also, I thought this was an accurate portrayal of Soviet politics although the film can get up its own ass at times. I don't think that's shocking to anyone though.

8/10

2018 Films Ranked

1.   Roma
2.   A Star Is Born
3.   First Reformed
4.   The Favourite
5.   Widows
6.   First Man
7.   BlacKkKlansman
8.   Blindspotting
9.   Leave No Trace
10.   Black Panther
11.   If Beale Street Could Talk
12.   The Sisters Brothers
13.   A Private War
14.   Avengers: Infinity War
15.   Stan & Ollie
16.   Green Book
17.   Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
18.   Mission: Impossible - Fallout
19.   The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
20.   On My Skin
21.   Private Life
22.   Climax
23.   Can You Ever Forgive Me?
24.   Mid90s
25.   Eighth Grade
26.   Sorry to Bother You
27.   Suspiria
28.   The Death of Stalin
29.   Vice
30.   The Old Man & the Gun
31.   Vox Lux
32.   Bad Times at the El Royale
33.   The Other Side of the Wind
34.   Searching
35.   A Simple Favor
36.   The Hate U Give
37.   Unsane
38.   Disobedience
39.   Boy Erased
40.   Bumblebee
41.   Mary Poppins Returns
42.   Creed II
43.   Hold the Dark
44.   The Land of Steady Habits
45.   Halloween
46.   Ant-Man and the Wasp
47.   The Miseducation of Cameron Post
48.   Blockers
49.   Beirut
50.   Roxanne Roxanne
51.   Tully
52.   Mary Queen of Scots
53.   Aquaman
54.   Ideal Home
55.   Outlaw King
56.   Overlord
57.   Ready Player One
58.   Ben Is Back
59.   Monsters and Men
60.   The Mule
61.   On the Basis of Sex
62.   Bohemian Rhapsody
63.   White Boy Rick 
64.   Papillon
65.   Game Night
66.   Sicario 2: Day of the Soldado
67.   Ocean's Eight
68.   Alpha
69.   Come Sunday
70.   Instant Family
71.   The Front Runner
72.   The Predator
73.   Apostle
74.   Uncle Drew
75.   The Cured
76.   The Commuter
77.   The Angel
78.   Tag
79.   Beautiful Boy
80.   The Nun
81.   Operation Finale
82.   The Equalizer 2
83.   The Spy Who Dumped Me
84.   Cargo
85.   Yardie
86.   Bird Box
87.   12 Strong
88.   Venom
89.   Skyscraper
90.   The Meg
91.   Assassination Nation
92.   Backstabbing for Beginners
93.   The Girl in the Spider's Web
94.   The House with a Clock in Its Walls
95.   22 July
96.   Tomb Raider
97.   Rampage
98.   Hotel Artemis
99.   Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
100.   The Little Stranger
101.   7 Days in Entebbe
102.   Night School
103.   The 15:17 To Paris
104.   Peppermint
105.   Mile 22
106.   The First Purge
107.   Hunter Killer
108.   The Hurricane Heist
109.   The Cloverfield Paradox
110.   Breaking In
111.   Mute
112.   Kin
113.   Hell Fest
114.   Proud Mary
115.   Robin Hood
116.   Traffik
117.   Winchester
118.   The Happytime Murders
119.   The Outsider
120.   Slender Man

• Admin
« Reply #462 on: February 24, 2020, 06:08:07 PM »

Molly's Game (2017), directed by Aaron Sorkin

Molly's Game is a movie that has been on my list for about three or four months, but I haven't had the time to actually watch much of anything. As I think I recently said, I'm working on it. Molly's Game is also the longest movie I've watched in quite a while. I will get one thing straight out of the way because I need to. It's very easy to watch a long movie when the lead character looks the way they do in this film. The obvious must be pointed out sometimes. Anyway, after watching Molly's Game, what I think is that this is a good movie that needed someone else to be directing it and perhaps even writing it. There are some great parts of this movie and there are some that aren't so good. The structure of the film is also very confounding to me and I don't understand why filmmakers want their crime stories to be structured in this manner. Another thing I'm immediately thinking in the aftermath of having viewed this is that the film desperately needs something it does not quite have. The film is lacking that consistent antagonist that really makes things jump off. Thing is, if there isn't an antagonist in that person's life, they can't just make one up. I'm also really thankful that it was decided not to make Kevin Costner's character into that antagonist.

The film starts out in typical Sorkin fashion, even though this is the first film he directed. Molly Bloom (Jessica Chastain) was once a young girl learning how to become a mogul skier, her overbearing father Larry (Kevin Costner) is a psychologist who demands perfection from all his children in all facets of their life. Years of training went into this moment, where Molly was attempting to qualify for the 2002 Winter Olympics. Unfortunately, she crashed and did not qualify. After this we learn that as a child she had a busted back, and for whatever insane reason Sorkin decides to wait until the end of the film to show the ramifications of Molly's crash. I don't understand this. Instead of attending law school after her Olympic dreams were dashed, she decided to take a year off and move to Los Angeles. Molly became a bottle service waitress, and eventually came across Dean (Jeremy Strong), a real estate developer. Dean talks her into taking a job with him as an office manager, and this job progresses into her running his underground poker games. This sounds like a fun job to me. Did I mention that this is all supposed to be real?

Dean, for whatever reason, seems to know a lot of people who want to spend a lot of money on playing poker. There are famous and wealthy people who go to these games, and Molly earns a lot of money in tips as a result of these games. Eventually, Molly comes to bring people to this game and makes it a full time job via which she earns more than just a lot of money. She doesn't understand the game of poker, but eventually she learns because she knows this is good for her business. The most influential player is a Player X (Michael Cera), who I believe is supposed to be based on Tobey Maguire. She knows that people come to the game to play against Player X because of how famous he is, but she has to deal with Dean and his problems. To make a long story short, she eventually comes to leave Dean's game and creates her own. Because of the relationship she's built with Player X, she's able to bring him along with her and with him comes all the action. Instead of in a seedy club, the games are now run out of a hotel, and she hires staff as a matter of necessity. She's also decided to expand her network by paying people who work at local casinos here in LA to send her new fish. This goes well. The legality of all this, as the film tells you, is because Molly doesn't make money off rake and only collects tips. I'm not sure that's true though.

I deliberately left out that the film intersperses these scenes with others where she has to get a lawyer (Idris Elba) to help defend her from a federal indictment. I do not understand why these scenes have to be in the middle of the film. Metaphors or something, I don't know. Hustlers did exactly the same thing, but when you take J-Lo dancing around in a thong out of the equation, Molly's Game is a slightly better film. The movies that do this seemed to have learned nothing from Goodfellas. A break in the pace of the film is a problem. What if they cut to Ray Liotta in the courtroom every 15 minutes? That's ass. The reason that there aren't films as strong as Goodfellas these days is in large part because they do not commit to their narrative and believe that the narrative itself is strong enough to carry the entire film. In the case of Hustlers it may not be, because ultimately that movie is the same people doing the same thing over and over. Molly's Game is different because that isn't the case. Each individual that Molly encounters is unique in their own way. This could have been a stronger movie even though it's already pretty good.

I did find myself tuning out during some of the scenes later in the film with Chastain and Elba, or for that matter Chastain and Costner. This is what I mean by the structure of the film being a problem. It isn't Chastain that is in any way the problem in these scenes, I must note. Now that I wrote these last two sentences, I can see why they didn't leave the entirety of that part of the story until later in the movie. Perhaps I have just explained some shit to myself that I did not entirely understand. In any case, Molly's Game is also a little too long. It is still very difficult to think of scenes that I would have removed. All of the gamblers encountered are interesting in their own way, but I would have liked to see the film go a little further into showing what the Russian Mafia did in New York City that would make the FBI look into them to begin with. Instead, this is a good movie that could have been better. I believe some people hated Molly's Game and I think that's totally fine. I really wish Kevin Costner's character wasn't in this movie too.

7.5/10

2017 Films Ranked

1.   Dunkirk
2.   Phantom Thread
3.   The Shape of Water
4.   Get Out
5.   Good Time
7.   Mudbound
9.   Logan
10.   Baby Driver
11.   The Post
12.   Wonder Woman
13.   The Big Sick
14.   Lady Bird
15.   Wind River
17.   mother!
18.   Logan Lucky
19.   The Beguiled
25.   The Lost City of Z
27.   A Ghost Story
28.   Last Flag Flying
29.   Hostiles
31.   Molly's Game
32.   Darkest Hour
33.   Spider-Man: Homecoming
34.   I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore
35.   Sweet Virginia
36.   It
37.   Battle of the Sexes
38.   Stronger
39.   Brad's Status
40.   Okja
41.   Norman: The Moderate Rise and Tragic Fall of a New York Fixer
42.   Kong: Skull Island
43.   It Comes at Night
44.   Happy End (foreign movie, did not write review)
45.   Crown Heights
46.   Split
47.   1922
48.   Personal Shopper
49.   Landline
50.   Thank You for Your Service
51.   Beatriz at Dinner
52.   Chuck
53.   Atomic Blonde
54.   Shot Caller
55.   Wheelman
56.   Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
57.   Wonder
58.   Brigsby Bear
59.   The Lego Batman Movie
60.   Megan Leavey
61.   Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
62.   Wonderstruck
63.   Only the Brave
64.   Marshall
65.   Menashe
66.   Roman J. Israel, Esq.
67.   Walking Out
68.   American Made
69.   Annabelle: Creation
70.   Beauty and the Beast
71.   Imperial Dreams
72.   Gifted
73.   Murder on the Orient Express
74.   My Friend Dahmer
75.   The Zookeeper's Wife
76.   The Glass Castle
77.   The Foreigner
78.   Free Fire
79.   Win It All
80.   The Wall
81.   Jungle
82.   Life
83.   My Cousin Rachel
84.   Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
85.   The Ballad of Lefty Brown
86.   The Fate of the Furious
87.   Happy Death Day
88.   Breathe
89.   The Man Who Invented Christmas
90.   Maudie
91.   Patti Cake$
92.   Sleight
93.   Alone in Berlin
94.   A United Kingdom
95.   Trespass Against Us
96.   The Mountain Between Us
97.   War Machine
98.   Lowriders
99.   Justice League
100.   To the Bone
101.   Ghost in the Shell
102.   Wakefield
103.   Downsizing
104.   Bright
105.   The Tribes of Palos Verdes
106.   The Hitman's Bodyguard
107.   Mark Felt: The Man Who Brought Down the White House
108.   XXX: Return of Xander Cage
109.   The Mummy
110.   The Greatest Showman
111.   Rough Night
112.   King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
113.   Sand Castle
114.   The Circle
115.   American Assassin
116.   CHiPs
117.   Death Note
118.   47 Meters Down
119.   The Belko Experiment
120.   The Great Wall
121.   Fist Fight
122.   Baywatch
123.   Snatched
124.   Suburbicon
125.   Wilson
126.   The Dark Tower
127.   Queen of the Desert
128.   The House
129.   Flatliners
130.   Sleepless
131.   Geostorm
132.   All Eyez on Me
133.   The Snowman
134.   The Book of Henry
135.   The Space Between Us
136.   Daddy's Home 2