Author Topic: The Problems with the WWE tag division  (Read 187 times)

Description:

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
The Problems with the WWE tag division
« on: January 20, 2019, 04:36:47 AM »
A lot of talk right now surrounding the rumors of The Revival asking for their release recently.  Among the rumors is that The Revival aren't just looking to leave because of their own push but due to the state of tag team wrestling in WWE as a whole.  It has long been said that Vince just doesn't see the money in tag teams.  In fact, on the most recent Edge and Christian podcast, Edge addressed it directly.  What some folks may not realize is Edge got Dash his WWE tryout as Dash used to work in Edge's gym in North Carolina.  While he didn't talk about any conversations with The Revival directly, he talked about the rumors about them wanting to bet on themselves and Vince not really looking to do much with tag teams.

Along with Vince not caring, what are the issues?  When it comes to tag teams, there is no shortage for talent.  There are a lot of teams but not too many of them make TV regularly.  Smackdown has a pretty deep tag division but it has been well documented that they really only cycle between New Day, The Usos and The Bar.  Teams like Sanity and Gallows/Anderson spent months off TV.  And it gets overlooked that until The Bar snuck in and won the titles, they spent a long period of time off of television and doing very little as well.

In my opinion, even with the depth of talent, there are too many similar teams.  Right now there are a bunch of "monster" teams.  People wondered about the War Raiders signing because The Bludgeon Brothers were doing a lot of what I hear War Raiders were doing pre-WWE.  When all are healthy, WWE has Bludgeon Brothers, War Raiders, AoP all doing the monster/big man gimmick while still having Heavy Machinery doing a comedy version of the unmovable big man team and Sanity that has one big man but essentially works a similar style.

Really, even with big amount of teams, there aren't that many that are engaging or unique - or at least allowed to be featured.  Smackdown has allowed that trinity of New Day/Usos/Bar to have their own identity and be credible, mixing it up and even beating paired up main event acts.

RAW mainly features a bunch of singles guys smushed into team and made to be geeks - like The B-Team and Slater and Rhyno.  Roode and Gable almost lean that way.  It recently came out Akam is hurt, which makes me wonder if that is why they were into taking the titles from AoP.  The Revival have a distinct gimmick but their act and style does not translate to the six minute matches that RAW commands (which was another thing that Edge alluded to and the E&C podcast).  Before Fandango's injury, Fashion Police had a distinct act but really were not used much after getting drafted to RAW.  The team got fairly over from their goofy online skits and seem like one of the missed opportunities of recent years.

So let's open the discussion - what do you see as problems in the state of WWE tag team wrestling?  How would you turn it around?  Or are you on the Vince train of no money in tag team wrestling?
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • John Vernon as The Mayor
Re: The Problems with the WWE tag division
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 05:19:16 AM »
Just pull the trigger like six years too late on a six-man title. You can swap in super teams if you want, have some stables to keep people somewhat busy, and putting a top guy with midcard guys would be a good rub no matter how you do it.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 05:34:22 AM »
There is nothing they can do when the guy who rules the company with an iron fist sees no value in teams.  The best they can hope for is to give them some time on shows where he's not paying attention or doesn't care about.

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 09:22:04 AM »
smackdown is totally fine even if the combos have gotten a bit stale, just add a new team to the mix. The combos on raw aren't any good except for maybe Gable/Roode (and that's basically all Gable) and Lucha House Party is 2/3rds good (Lince has never impressed me). None of the teams are really very over and are treated like a joke on Raw though so it doesn't matter. WWE goes through periods where they treat the tag division really well (The uso/newday era, The Shield/HellNo era, etc) but it always gets broken up eventually.

I don't really buy into Revival's "oh no it's not us we're doing it for ALL the tag division" btw. It's a great line to get themselves over when they leave and put themselves with the boys but at the end of they day I'd bet they're out for themselves like basically everyone else.

Offline Sabre

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 04:40:47 PM »
Tag teams like the revivial are not marketable. Their gimmick is “no flips” which the casual viewer sees as dull in 2019. Shame really I loved their nxt run but then tbh I loved everything from that era of nxt and outside of a select few none have done really anything since being called up.

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 01:37:03 AM »
There is nothing they can do when the guy who rules the company with an iron fist sees no value in teams.
Which is wild because the 80s/early-90s Fed used to be all about tag teams, even under his watch.
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 01:43:10 AM »

I don't really buy into Revival's "oh no it's not us we're doing it for ALL the tag division" btw. It's a great line to get themselves over when they leave and put themselves with the boys but at the end of they day I'd bet they're out for themselves like basically everyone else.
Personally, I think the Revival are kind of marks for themselves. They get "MOTY" praise from some NXT TakeOver matches, but there's a reason why those matches come off the way they do and why they don't really excel every week on RAW or on tour. "Fuck the Revival" was always a kayfabe thing on BTE, but Cody hit the nail on the head with these guys and why people over-praise them:

Okay, so Revival, here's one thing. I took the Bucks' side and here's my logic behind it: Revival has had some absolutely bang-up, amazing performances on these NXT specials. Okay, the Bucks have these bang-up, unbelievable performances almost every night. When you're in developmental, and this is not a knock on NXT, it's developmental because you don't get a check for live events and you're not on the road. That's why it's developmental. It doesn't mean it's less than. NXT is obviously incredibly, incredibly hot. It's super, super cool and they do great things there, but when you have a month, a month straight, knowing of your match and you're in a [pro] wrestling school for a month straight, every day, that better be the best match that anyone [has] ever seen, whereas the Bucks show up with two hours [before bell time] and throw together the best match they've ever seen.

All it does for me is wanting to see the guys wrestle. I want to see it and that's the test. That's the difference when people are like, 'don't call NXT developmental'. The difference is doing it every single night, not being in a wrestling school. Doing it every single night. That is the difference.

That is why it's called developmental. It doesn't mean that Samoa Joe, who is not on NXT anymore, or Bobby Roode are developmental talent. Those guys are stars, but the difference is being on the road. That's the difference, which they've all been. But that's the difference. That's why it's developmental and one is called the main roster.
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 05:45:10 AM »
yeah that's how I've always felt about NXT pretty much and why certain acts don't cross over on the main roster as well. It's a totally different thing to have to work a 6 minute raw match every week (plus knowing it could get cut to 3 at a producers whim or increased) then having a month to plan it out and carte blanche to go nuts.