Author Topic: 91st Academy Awards  (Read 519 times)

Description:

Offline Zetterberg is Go

91st Academy Awards
« on: January 22, 2019, 12:03:28 AM »
BEST PICTURE
Black Panther
BlacKkKlansman
Bohemian Rhapsody
The Favourite
Green Book
Roma
A Star Is Born
Vice

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Christian Bale - Vice
Bradley Cooper- A Star is Born
Willem Dafoe - At Eternity's Gate
Rami Malek - Bohemian Rhapsody
Viggo Mortensen - Green Book

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Yalitza Aparicio - Roma
Glenn Close - The Wife
Olivia Colman - The Favourite
Lady Gaga - A Star is Born
Melissa McCarthy - Can You Ever Forgive Me?

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Mahershala Ali - Green Book
Adam Driver - BlacKkKlansman
Sam Elliott - A Star is Born
Richard E. Grant - Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Sam Rockwell - Vice

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Amy Adams - Vice
Marina de Tavira - Roma
Regina King - If Beale Street Could Talk
Emma Stone - The Favourite
Rachel Weisz - The Favourite

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Mirai
Ralph Breaks the Internet
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

CINEMATOGRAPHY
Cold War
The Favourite
Never Look Away
Roma
A Star Is Born

COSTUME DESIGN
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Black Panther
The Favourite
Mary Poppins Returns
Mary Queen of Scots

DIRECTING
Spike Lee - BlacKkKlansman
Paweł Pawlikowski - Cold War
Yorgos Lanthimos - The Favourite
Alfonso Cuarón - Roma
Adam McKay - Vice

DOCUMENTARY (FEATURE)
Free Solo
Hale County This Morning, This Evening
Minding the Gap
Of Fathers and Sons
RBG

DOCUMENTARY (SHORT SUBJECT)
Black Sheep
End Game
Lifeboat
A Night at The Garden
Period. End of Sentence.

FILM EDITING
BlacKkKlansman
Bohemian Rhapsody
The Favourite
Green Book
Vice

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
Capernaum
Cold War
Never Look Away
Roma
Shoplifters

MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING
Border
Mary Queen of Scots
Vice

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SCORE)
Black Panther
BlacKkKlansman
If Beale Street Could Talk
Isle of Dogs
Mary Poppins Returns

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SONG)
"All The Stars" from "Black Panther"
"I'll Fight" from "RBG"
"The Place Where Lost Things Go" from "Mary Poppins Returns"
"Shallow" from "A Star Is Born"
"When A Cowboy Trades His Spurs For Wings" from "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs"

PRODUCTION DESIGN
Black Panther
The Favourite
First Man
Mary Poppins Returns
Roma

SHORT FILM (ANIMATED)
Animal Behaviour
Bao
Late Afternoon
One Small Step
Weekends

SHORT FILM (LIVE ACTION)
Detainment
Fauve
Marguerite
Mother
Skin

SOUND EDITING
Black Panther
Bohemian Rhapsody
First Man
A Quiet Place
Roma

SOUND MIXING
Black Panther
Bohemian Rhapsody
First Man
Roma
A Star Is Born

VISUAL EFFECTS
Avengers: Infinity War
Christopher Robin
First Man
Ready Player One
Solo: A Star Wars Story

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
BlacKkKlansman
Can You Ever Forgive Me?
If Beale Street Could Talk
A Star Is Born

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)
The Favourite
First Reformed
Green Book
Roma
Vice

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
Re: 91st Academy Awards
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 12:14:45 AM »
Nothing for First Man or Widows. Odd.

Hell yeah for Dafoe and for Black Klansman getting a lot of love.

Offline Dramatic Pizza

• brock lock
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 02:42:29 AM »
The things I liked is that Roma got more nominations than I thought. Marina De Tavira getting nominated is a big surprise and I'm glad she got it. He was good in it, but I'm glad Timothee Chalamet got snubbed for Beautiful Boy. That movie was terrible and will be forgotten in a few months. Cold War looks really good and I enjoy it getting some love beyond Foreign Film.

Things I didn't like was Bradley Cooper getting snubbed for Adam McKay. McKay's directing choices actually hurt Vice for me.  He's been nominated twice and I'd say he's actually a bad director. I was expecting Ethan Hawke, Michael B. Jordan, and Toni Collette not to get nominated, so I'm not too mad. Hawke still gave the best performance of the year, but Willem Dafoe owns and I'm fine with him getting a surprise nomination.

Bohemian Rhapsody, Green Book, and Vice will end up as why did they get nominated choices in a few years. Haven't seen Bohemian yet, but the reviews are pretty bad. Vice had mediocre reviews as well. And, as I said Green Book was an okay fluff movie, but nothing special. I was hoping First Man would of got more love, but that movie didn't seem to connect with the Award committees for some reason.

Won't You Be My Neighbor is the only doc I saw and I'm stunned it didn't get nominated. Green Book getting nominated for Original Screenplay is really stupid. It's an enjoyable fluff movie, but the script is really basic and generic. Movies like Blindspotting and Eighth Grade should've got the nom over Green Book.

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 04:15:49 AM »
Widows not getting nominated for one single thing is the goddamn weirdest thing I have ever seen with these kinds of awards.

Cooper not getting nominated for Best Director is also strange.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Gary

• Corrosive Hallucinations
  • CXF Writer
  • Corrosive Hallucinations
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 04:47:56 AM »
Richard E. Grant getting some love makes me happy.

"The Godfather: Part Iraq" (2004) In this 4th installment of the Godfather series, the godfathers head to iraq to settle the score, of 9/11.

Offline CookieMueller

• Forever blowing bubbles
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 04:48:18 AM »
I didn't like A Star Is Born so I'm fine with this. I've seen all the Best Picture noms except Black Panther and I'd like The Favorite to win. I was happy that it got so much love. Bohemian Rhapsody is dreadful and I can't fathom anyone consciously deciding that it was the BEST MOVIE MADE IN 2018. That just blows my mind. A Star is Born I get it even though I didn't love it, I understand. But Bohemian Rhapsody? No. There's an honest-to-god scene where Mike Myers looks in the camera practically WINKING and says "No teenage boys will bang their heads to a song called Bohemian Rhapsody!" It's a perfectly fine popcorn flick but it was not a well-made movie. It's a "Bryan Singer movie". Anyway, I think it's Roma's night. Like Shape of Water, it will have the most noms, most wins, no acting awards but best director (a mexican again...timely!) and best picture.

If Beale Street Could Talk not getting much love, especially not being in best picture, was the surprise of the morning, for me. I still think Regina King wins supporting actress. There's a possibility that both Actress wins are for movies not nominated for best picture (Close and King). And if Richard E Grant pulls out supporting actor (I think he's got a chance), 3 of the 4 acting awards would be from non-BP nominated movies.

Offline Dramatic Pizza

• brock lock
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 05:10:05 AM »
I've seen them all except for Bohemian Rhapsody and I want Roma or The Favourite to win. I liked A Star Is Born, although some of the hyperbole when it came out was a tad over the top. It's still better than some of the other movies in Best Picture. Vice should've just got acting nominations at the most. I'd only nominate Bale actually. Maybe Amy Adams. Getting screenplay, picture, and director nominations is ridiculous.

• Admin
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 05:23:25 AM »
Carell should have been nominated over Rockwell.

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 05:25:16 AM »
Nah, Rockwell was easily the second best actor in that film.

RE: Bohemian, while not the most historically accurate film (an understatement, I'm sure), it was beautifully acted and I'm excited for Malek more than anything.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
  • Laugh This Off... Puddin!
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 05:42:59 AM »
Not surprised that Avengers: Infinity War only had 1 Nomination (Best Visual Effects) although I'm pleasantly surprised that Mirai got a nomination in the Best Animated Feature category. I hope Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse wins it but am expecting Incredibles 2 or Ralph Breaks the Internet to win.

The biggest snub was Won't You Be My Neighbor? not getting any nominations, not even Best Documentary Feature. That's a legitimate stunner IMO.

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 05:43:31 AM »
RE: Bohemian, while not the most historically accurate film (an understatement, I'm sure), it was beautifully acted and I'm excited for Malek more than anything.

The acting was good. I wouldn't be mad at all if Malek won. It's the direction and writing that was average.

Offline Dramatic Pizza

• brock lock
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 06:25:49 AM »

The biggest snub was Won't You Be My Neighbor? not getting any nominations, not even Best Documentary Feature. That's a legitimate stunner IMO.

I thought Won't You Be My Neighbor, RBG, and Three Identical Strangers were all locks for Documentary and only one of those was nominated.

Burning was a movie everyone though was gonna get nominated for Foreign, but South Korean cinema continues to get ignored by the Academy despite having some of the best films of the last 20 years.

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 06:34:34 AM »
I was far more surprised that Shirkers didn't get into documentary as that was one I could have seen winning.

Offline DMann1979

• That's a Shame
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 09:08:00 AM »
Disappointed "Ashes" from Deadpool 2 wasn't nominated, though I've heard it may not have been eligible as it wasn't written directly for the film.

And fuck, where's "Black Eyes" from A Star is Born, fuck I love that song. More than "Shallow".

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2019, 01:50:51 PM »
Happy to see First Reformed at least get an original screenplay nod but I think it's criminal that Ethan Hawke didn't get a best actor nom. But hopefully it cleans up decent at the Independent Spirit Awards.

The excessive love for Vice in the nominations is a bit puzzling to me other than Bale getting the nomination of course. But was the peripheral supporting cast through really that good? I mean I get it .....you're representing important people from that time period in a poinient piece correlating to the political clusterfuck right now. But still it begs the question of why it was overdone so much as Bale certainly delivered but everything else about that film was just kind of decent but not this Oscar worthy. I personally didn't see for example Sam Rockwell doing such an insanely great job playing Bush. Or Any Adams totally killing it either. Both have had tons of significantly better roles than this.

It's things like that that bother me about the Oscars in that they go all in on certain movies way overboard. I would prefer a lot more diversity as there was a lot more significantly better performances in a lot of categories than the usual handful that they seem to constantly put in every category almost. It gets old.

Offline muzzington

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2019, 09:50:15 PM »
Richard E. Grant getting some love makes me happy.

Same.

Offline Nymyzys

• TRTSM's Color Commentator
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2019, 03:13:48 AM »
I wish Toni Collette had gotten a nomination for Hereditary. The film may not be everyone's cup of tea, but she was amazing.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 03:13:09 PM »
Best editing, cinematography, live-action short, and makeup/hairstyling are scraped from the broadcast.

I'm actually pretty bummed about the first two.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
  • Laugh This Off... Puddin!
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2019, 03:54:17 AM »
Best editing, cinematography, live-action short, and makeup/hairstyling are scraped from the broadcast.

Academy tried to get around this by proclaiming two things

#1: They may (time permitting lol I know right?) air edited down versions later on in the broadcast anyway. Like that would happen.
#2: They would actually ROTATE 4 categories every year and already basically admitted, "Yeah, we're fucking them over this year but it's okay. Next year they'll definitely be on the show as a result."

Offline Detective Ventriloquist

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2019, 06:07:15 AM »

Academy tried to get around this by proclaiming two things

#1: They may (time permitting lol I know right?) air edited down versions later on in the broadcast anyway. Like that would happen.
#2: They would actually ROTATE 4 categories every year and already basically admitted, "Yeah, we're fucking them over this year but it's okay. Next year they'll definitely be on the show as a result."

I can't wait for the year Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, and Best Actress don't make the cut for the broadcast.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline Dramatic Pizza

• brock lock
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2019, 10:10:43 AM »
They are gonna air all the awards like usual because of backlash.

• KOAB
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2019, 10:33:11 AM »
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/brutally-honest-oscar-ballot-roma-just-an-expensive-home-movie-1187668

Best Animated Short

I personally have a rule that applies to all the shorts categories: I'm not going to vote for anything that is supported in any way by a corporation like Netflix or Amazon or Pixar, because these are supposed to be categories to help little people break through and finally succeed. Even if it's not financed and is just distributed by one of them, they have money to campaign in a way that gives them an unfair advantage. So I will not vote for [Pixar's] Bao because there's just too much fucking money behind it, and the only reason they made it was to win an Academy Award. My problem with this category is Bao is the best of them, and I didn't like any of the other four, so in this category I’m passing.

My Vote: I abstain.

lol

• Admin
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2019, 10:39:58 AM »
Wow that headline is the dumbest thing I've ever read.

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2019, 10:12:54 PM »
I actually agree almost entirely with the "anonymous director" on his Best Picture thoughts. A Star Is Born and Bohemian Rhapsody wouldn't even figure into a top 20 for me from last year. The headline is sort of misleading, he isn't completely trashing Roma but it IS so deeply personal that no matter how beautiful it is, it's a bit confusing and slow in parts. And it was meant to be shown in theaters using a special projector yet most people will watch it on their TV screen (I did) so it diminishes the visual impact anyway. I know Roma will win best picture and I'm 100% fine with that but it wouldn't be my pick either. But, like the director, I'd still put it 4th behind Black Panther, The Favorite and Blackkklansman. I'd prefer to see The Favorite win but again, like the director, the final scenes of Blackkklansman are the only moments of any nominated film where I cried actual tears. It moved me and I'd have a tough time between that and The Favorite.

I also agree that it's a bit of the studio's sleight of hand that goes on that allowed Olivia Colman to be considered the lead to Weisz and Stone, I bet Emma Stone is actually on the screen MORE minutes than Colman. I'd love if it she won but I'd still vote for Glenn Close because that was a once in a lifetime performance in an otherwise ho-hum movie. And for the love of god, Richard E Grant for Supporting Actor please.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2019, 12:15:42 AM »
The whole argument of what constitutes a lead or supporting actor/actress has been going on forever. Remember Hailee Steinfeld being nominated for Best Supporting Actress for True Grit despite the fact that she was in practically every scene in the film?

Offline Dramatic Pizza

• brock lock
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2019, 01:45:34 AM »
Timothy Hutton winning Best Supporting Actor for Ordinary People when he's in almost every second of the film and is the main character is another weird one.

The Best Picture nominations from this year reminds me of 2011 where they nominated a bunch of ho hum and safe movies while the interesting movies got left out. Roma and The Favourite don't fit that, but Vice, Bohemian Rhapsody, and Green Book definitely do. There's a bunch of great and interesting movies that barely got nominated for anything and would be better Best Picture Nominees than those three like First Reformed, You Are Never Really Here, Destroyer, Blindspotting, Leave No Trace, Shoplifters, A Private War, Annihilation, The Rider, If Beale Street Could Talk, Eighth Grade, Mid90s, Widows, Suspiria, Hereditary, Outside In, Thoroughbreds, and Mandy.

Offline Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2019, 02:00:28 AM »
The whole argument of what constitutes a lead or supporting actor/actress has been going on forever. Remember Hailee Steinfeld being nominated for Best Supporting Actress for True Grit despite the fact that she was in practically every scene in the film?
The argument is stupid on a purely technical basis. How can one be a supporting actor when they're a main character?
Maybe the real deep state was the friends we made along the way.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2019, 02:21:59 AM »
Tell that to the Academy. Dame Judi Dench won Best Supporting Actress for Shakespeare in Love when she's in the movie for a grand total of 8 minutes (though it's been said that it was more of a "thank you" Oscar more than anything). Any awards committee will make up their own rules when it fits their narrative.

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2019, 11:46:12 AM »
The only reason this debate goes on is because studios can submit it whichever way they want. The Academy needs to stand up and make some kind of rules, but then that would create a whole debate so instead they just do nothing and let the studios run amok.

I remember Catherine Zeta-Jones (and Harvey Weinstein) being accused of demanding she go into Supporting for Chicago because she preferred her chances to win there (she did) over her chances for Best Actress, which Renee Zellweger lost to Nicole Kidman, who had been crowned the winner the second The Hours (and that big fake nose) came out.