Author Topic: WWE Royal Rumble 2019  (Read 1377 times)

Description:

Online Firmino of the 909

• Admin
Re: WWE Royal Rumble 2019
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2019, 04:20:28 AM »
After a night of sleep...I like that Nia spot even more than I did last night. A delusional monster female heel has to be of the mind to think they can beat up men too. WWE is also usually extremely predictable but that was not.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Hawk 34

• Death Pool Winner
« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2019, 05:27:25 AM »
Like we said in chat, Nia winning the rumble to challenge Bryan would been far more fascinating than the idea of Seth.  Seeing how Bryan, the ultra progressive vegan extremist would have worked his character around Nia would have been immensely entertaining.

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2019, 05:41:27 AM »
Fantasy booking from my end, I would of had Becky taken R-Truths spot instead of Lana’s ...and win. I can only imagine the pop from the crowd and how the media would be reacting today if The Man Becky Lynch won the Men’s Royal Rumble.

DTF

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2019, 05:57:18 AM »
Actually that would've been amazing to see the mouth-breather backlash from having two female rumble winners.
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Online Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2019, 06:01:04 AM »
WWE is eventually going to transition towards having intergender matches where there's no punching. Would bet everything on it.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2019, 06:10:04 AM »
Honestly, I'm fine with that and totally agree with no punching.. I actually would like to see less "punching" in wrestling overall, tbh.. it just never looks real enough and it seems like unnecessary filler..

As far as inter-gender goes.. I'm all for it, especially if it's a division or something like the MMC. We need to get past this idea that men and women doing anything remotely physical together in a fake combat sport context is either a) abusive or b) sexual. The more this is about "competition" and athleticism the better.
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
  • Laugh This Off... Puddin!
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2019, 06:26:56 AM »
One thing I also liked about the Nia spot is that she entered the ring knowing there were smaller wrestlers she could physically man handle. A subtle 'heel' tactic of the bigger bully beating up on the smaller weaker types and Nia looked good as a result. It's not like she was entering with Rollins or Strowman types around her.

• KOAB
« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2019, 08:30:32 AM »
Only thing I didn't like about it was Ali getting dumped out by Nia after he eliminated Joe and Nakamura since they're really trying to get him over after he pinned Bryan clean in a tag match... but it's not like WWE would use that as a rub for anything substantial in the future. It's all about just having moments and shit and everything about that worked.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2019, 10:48:11 AM »
That didn't bug me because I thought it was pretty clear that Ali was done in because he refused to fight her (unlike Orton).

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2019, 11:01:57 PM »
Big Davey Meltz says Kurt Angle replaced Zack Ryder. They didn't bother to rebook his role and just made him a body, not a special entry.

Offline Super Leather

• CXF Writer
    • Rock 'n' Wrestling
« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2019, 08:17:11 AM »
I enjoyed the women's Rumble more than the men's, despite the flaws - a clunky first half, bad timing on entries/eliminations, and terrible camera work. Becky crashing the party and winning was what we all wanted and WWE actually gave that to us. Finlay giving her the go-ahead to get in there was a cool little thing to me. There is the Irish conspiracy theory (heh), but don't forget that Finlay used to train the women wrestlers during the Divas era. Does he still work with them on their matches?

Becky/Asuka and Ronda/Sasha were both very good and I really like how the women display more of a sense of struggle and fighting in their matches.

Brock/Finn was real good and I liked the finish. I do wish that Finn had gotten within a hair's length of the ropes before tapping just as a storytelling device for a sympathetic babyface. Although I knew Brock was winning, I do like how his matches against smaller wrestlers have that one moment where you *almost* think it could go the other way. That leads me to...

Seth Rollins winning the men's Rumble wasn't what I wanted, but he'll have a better match with Brock than Braun. Brock just isn't going to work with Braun the way we'd like him to and it's too bad. I wanted Braun to win...or a Smackdown guy, but not entirely sure who. Nia beating the crap out of R-Truth to steal his #30 spot had me cracking up, but I'm not really sure how I feel about her subsequent beatdown and elimination. I liked the guys selling for her. I feel like everyone involved tried conveying a sense of "I'm REALLY not comfortable with this, but don't know what else to do here," but commentary did nothing to get that across. Wondering if this is leading to anything.

Some of the save spots in the women's Rumble were very creative, but there were too many of them taking place in both bouts. Kofi was particularly bad with his saves, although the one with Xavier did lead to Drew Mac's awesome look of pure disgust.

I personally thought Bryan and AJ had a very good match until I remembered that they were wrestling in front of a stadium crowd. Their match would have gotten over better in an arena setting IMO. This crowd wanted to see them turn up the volume and start kicking the shit out of each other instead. Crappy finish that was from a different era; it felt strange in 2019. Would this the first time Bryan has done "I have until five" in WWE?

No real opinion on the show overall; I guess I would be in the "it was what it was" camp. I was in the mood to binge out on some wrestling at the moment, so I'm good.
Find my Rock 'n' Wrestling column via this magazine: http://goblinkomegamall.com/collections/pork-magazine
PORK #29 now available! This issue's column is a tribute to Bruno Sammartino. PM me if you would like a copy in exchange for postage cost!

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2019, 08:39:04 AM »
I actually really liked the Women's Rumble and thought it was considerably better than the Men's one.

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2019, 02:21:10 PM »
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline Gert

« Reply #113 on: January 29, 2019, 06:45:35 PM »
So I watched this show live from beginning to end (which I rarely do, but I was watching with a friend) so I think I may view it differently than usual.

I do agree that the Women's match was better. I also agree as a whole the "close call" spots as well as "both wrestlers on the apron spot leading to eliminations" are too predictable. I'm sure 20 years ago we thought there were too many obvious clothesline/back drop elimination spots, but I feel like the close calls spots are becoming too over the top.

Here is another thought I have on the Rumbles in the future. And maybe it is a dumb take but I think based on the current formats (4 World Title Matches, 2 Rumbles plus one other this year Tag Titles) is would they ever consider doing both Rumbles back to back? I see the arguments of it being 2 matches covering a 2 1/2 hour period killing the crowd. That said, the Rumble matches have so many comedy and crowd participation spots I think they crowd could handle it.

Feel like they could start with a combo of Men's-Women's Title Match, then 2 Rumbles, tag title match and then close out with the other two tag title matches.

I think with having two titles in each division you will most likely have at least one dominant and non-transition champion defending the title so their will be marquee matches.

I think AJ-Bryan suffered from card fatigue, AJ being a face versus Bryan and being in a stadium show as others suggested.

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #114 on: January 29, 2019, 07:11:02 PM »
I know it's not a "real" sport, but FFS someone landing on their back should be an elimination the same way you're "down" in football. They really pushed the limits of "both feet touching the floor" this year.

While the schemes to get back into the ring were cool, some of it felt cheap. I thought Kofi with one foot on the pancakes last year was pushing it. There should at least be some sort of physical barrier between your body and the floor for it to count.

Again, I know I'm bitching over scripted material, but damn.

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #115 on: January 30, 2019, 01:09:02 AM »
That's why I liked Naomi's "close call" the best. It felt more natural how she wound up on the guardrail and she had the entire crowd invested in her whole sequence leading up to her save. With Kacy, it was like splitting hairs with her back hitting the floor while she kept her feet up.

I personally thought Kofi's Rumble saves peaked in 2015 when Adam Rose's Rosebuds saved him from elimination. They've gotten really silly with them since then.

Offline Tino Standard

« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2019, 02:50:32 AM »
Personally, I feel like if you lose all contact with the ring, you should be out of the match, but that genie’s out of the bottle at this point. I can live with one cute spot here or there, but I agree that the contrived non-eliminations were out of control this year.

Honestly, as long as we keep having two Rumbles every year, it’s only going to get worse. This is a problem with all of the PPV gimmick matches. I’m all for the women getting their own, but I’d rather see only one on a show, even if it means the men don’t get an Elimination Chamber or a HIAC match some years.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #117 on: January 30, 2019, 03:25:24 AM »
I'd rather they keep the Rumble matches and scrap everything else.  This would not only shorten the shows to a bearable length, but boost the star power of the Rumble matches which are the main drawing point of these shows.  Did we really need Miz & Shane vs. The Bar, Roode & Gable vs. Rezar & Dawson, and Nakamura vs. Rusev on this card?

Anyways, with the way the Network works if I get tired partway through I can always turn it off and watch the rest tomorrow, so at least part of it is my own doing.  I'll admit that.  I'd actually have less issue if they didn't end so late.  I could handle it better if it started earlier in the afternoon and didn't end around midnight.

Online Dramatic Pizza

• brock lock
« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2019, 03:39:40 AM »
I remember reading rumors that they were interested in making Wrestlemania a 2 night event. They should do that with The Rumble and have each Rumble as the main event of the night. It was a really good show, but the pace was glacial and a match like Bryan vs AJ would probably be better on a shorter show. Knowing WWE right now, they'd make both shows 6 hours long though.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2019, 03:47:41 AM »
I remember reading rumors that they were interested in making Wrestlemania a 2 night event. They should do that with The Rumble and have each Rumble as the main event of the night. It was a really good show, but the pace was glacial and a match like Bryan vs AJ would probably be better on a shorter show. Knowing WWE right now, they'd make both shows 6 hours long though.

I'd definitely be for that.  Do Takeover on Friday, one Rumble on Saturday, and the other on Sunday.

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2019, 03:52:58 AM »
I don't know how that's going to work because to everybody, the Sunday show will always be seen as the "true" premiere event so we're just going to wind up with a bunch of salty fans who complain that their favorite matches and wrestlers were relegated to the lesser (Saturday) show. Look at how shook people get when things are bumped to the pre-shows.

NJPW is experimenting with this next year for Wrestlekingdom but they haven't built up the legacy with that event in the states the way the Rumble and Mania already have.

For me personally, I wouldn't mind it. More wrestling for us without having to sit there for 6 hours.

Offline Hawk 34

• Death Pool Winner
« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2019, 06:35:07 AM »
Both shows would just end up being six hours anyways

Offline alkeiper

• Welcoming our new insect overlords
« Reply #122 on: February 01, 2019, 02:24:59 AM »
WWE really should consider doing an intermission. The next match after a 70 minute Rumble is going to die no matter who is involved.

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #123 on: February 01, 2019, 02:34:48 AM »
I never really wrote up a recap of my experience but the group I went to the Rumble with were talking about how tired we were following the women’s Rumble and realizing there were still multiple major matches to go.

Had never been to one of these marathon shows yet so we were talking before about figuring out bathroom breaks.  In the lull before the women’s Rumble, I decided to run and due to lines being so long, I managed to get back during Nattie’s entrance.  I could hear Lacey’s music from the bathroom sink but couldn’t understand the promo from the concourse.

My buddy trying running to the bathroom during the AJ-Bryan video package and by the time he realized how much he missed waiting for the bathroom and how quiet the crowd had been, he stopped for a drink and missed more.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #124 on: February 01, 2019, 03:13:15 AM »
Might as well throw my two cents in on the live Rumble experience since I'm just about to (finally after two days of flight cancellations to Minneapolis) fly out of Phoenix soon here.

We were a bit salty at the layout of the show in Chase Field. We paid $250 for what we thought was a close seat but it was anything but that. We were a few row up dead center behind home plate and how it was laid out...we were essentially 50 rows back from the ring if not more. Made for a frustrating experience when you shell out that much $$$ for a ticket. Seats like that should be less than floor ones. The entrance view was nonexistent to us but we did get a peek at talent coming up outta the dugout.

I found myself burned out after the women's Rumble and an intermission of even 15 minutes at that point would have been great. They should seriously consider this for future Manias and Rumbles given how the response to Bryan and Styles was.

On the flip side we were happy WWE created the ability to get the exact same seats for NXT, Raw, and SD. They were relatively affordable and all near the ring in lower level. This was a first I can recall that NXT was by far a better attended event than either main show.

Had an extra perk for SD as a friend of mine had a handful of second row ringside comps so was able to head down there and get a collective SD chair with the date n location on it. Shipping it back was costly but still....awesome extra for the last show.

There wasn't much for indy shows around the weekend but there was a few. I had seen some ads for a Friday tournament (I peeped Axxess that night instead) as well as a 10am Sunday morning show with Willie Mack headlining though. After Takeover on Saturday we did go to one indy however and it was probably the most low rent and so bad it was good show I've been to in at least a decade. Headlined by Joey Ryan it was titled "Money in the Stank" and was in the back parking lot of a dive bar. The ring announcer was a drunk/high version of Tod Sinclair it seemed like. Felt like the majority of the talent perhaps were the bar staff as it was just horrendously awful. Some gimmicks were indyriffic as it gets so it was entertaining enough.