Author Topic: WWE Royal Rumble 2019  (Read 2291 times)

Description:

Offline The Amazing Rando

• Apparently Smart?
    • Opposite Attractions
Re: WWE Royal Rumble 2019
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2019, 12:46:49 PM »
That match did feel like it went forever but it did what it needed to do. Too many girls wearing nearly the same red outfits though. And too many people doing the "I wasn't actually eliminated let me walk on my hands" spot.
A Horrible Premise - Episode 48: TEN CORGIS TAPED TOGETHER - an improv comedy game show podcast about creating 'horrible' tv shows.

Opposite Attractions - a comedy design podcast where two idiots design their very own theme parks. SEASON 7 IS HERE!

Apparently Artistic - See my dubious attempts at making art.

Bro, Do You Even Tweet?

Offline Kotzenjunge

• looptid
  • Kotzenjunge
    • A site I wrote.
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2019, 12:49:03 PM »
I don't think I've marked that hard since Dean's MITB cash-in.

Offline fazzle

« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2019, 12:51:57 PM »
That women's rumble was FAR superior to last year's.  I really appreciated how they used the surprise spots to hype the future, rather than reminisce about the past.

Offline skullman80

• Metalhead
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2019, 12:54:27 PM »
Daniel Bryan got people to not cheer him. It's amazing. Reinvented himself.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2019, 12:58:14 PM »
So is the crowd dead or just poorly mic'd?  Crowd heat is just flat tonight.

Offline fazzle

« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2019, 01:02:35 PM »
I'm guessing poorly mic'd.   At one point Rousey was talking shit to the fans for chanting You Can't Wrestle, but I never heard the chant itself.

Offline New-New-New England Order

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2019, 01:18:27 PM »
Rowan has an affinity for bearded crazy people.

Offline skullman80

• Metalhead
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2019, 01:18:42 PM »
That was lame.

Offline Tino Standard

« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2019, 01:19:09 PM »
That was awful and about 10 minutes longer than it needed to be. Woof.

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • All hail Gritty!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2019, 01:19:19 PM »

I think the Rumble killed the show. It should have been 30 minutes instead an hour plus.
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Offline Kotzenjunge

• looptid
  • Kotzenjunge
    • A site I wrote.
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2019, 01:20:38 PM »
Well, the good feelings about tonight's booking could only last so long.

Okay, it looks like Rowan is going to be Bryan's own Diesel bodyguard.

Offline fazzle

« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2019, 01:20:49 PM »
Do we REALLY need another Erick Rowan push?   He is literally the most useless member of the roster.  I have no idea why they keep trying with him.

Offline strummer

« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2019, 01:23:02 PM »
Bryan reuniting with his former .Wyatt family mate

Offline strummer

« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2019, 01:27:11 PM »
I doubt it happens but I hope this doesn't affect Bryan's push with the vultures coming out and saying "see he's really not over". I mean 5 years ago that would be a definite but I think he's pretty safe now

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2019, 01:39:53 PM »
Great booking to this match so far.  Motivated Brock is good Brock.

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2019, 01:41:06 PM »
L O L
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline Kotzenjunge

• looptid
  • Kotzenjunge
    • A site I wrote.
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2019, 01:44:03 PM »
Hooray, can't wait to see the Champion again sometime in March!

Offline fazzle

« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2019, 01:44:11 PM »
Great showing for Finn, but if he just goes back to facing Corbin again tomorrow on Raw, it's all meaningless.

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2019, 01:47:23 PM »

I think the Rumble killed the show. It should have been 30 minutes instead an hour plus.

Man, if everyone on this forum didn't already think you were a fucking moron they definitely do now.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2019, 01:48:04 PM »
brock gave balor a ton and the ending made it feel like the dude in the weekly thread might get his wish for Demon Balor.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2019, 01:51:05 PM »
lol at the digs @ Brock on Twitter for being a part time champ you never see for months. Brock is doing what he's paid to do. Blame Vince for paying him.

Offline fazzle

« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2019, 01:53:37 PM »
I wonder if JJ stopped to sell Vince some gold before he made his way to the ring.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2019, 01:54:44 PM »
That women's rumble was FAR superior to last year's.  I really appreciated how they used the surprise spots to hype the future, rather than reminisce about the past.
Strong agree. Not that I didn't appreciate the nostalgia pops last year, but there's diminishing returns on going back to that well, especially considering the much shallower pool of available women's legends, relatively speaking.

Online muzzington

« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2019, 01:58:06 PM »
Fun beginning.

Don't miss King's ancient references.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2019, 01:59:46 PM »
I liked Balor/Brock better than Bryan/Styles.  That was something I wasn't expecting.

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2019, 02:05:56 PM »
JOHNNY RUMBLE!  NXT all over this bitch so far.

Offline Kotzenjunge

• looptid
  • Kotzenjunge
    • A site I wrote.
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2019, 02:21:44 PM »
About halfway through and I'm not feeling the Men's Rumble. They've put a lot of big names really early and it isn't working.

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2019, 02:41:37 PM »
I'd say that I wish the women's Rumble main evented but I want to get to sleep sometime tonight.  LOL at Lashley.

Offline fisticuffs

« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2019, 02:49:08 PM »
When I saw Nia I thought that was clearing the path for Roman to claim the 30th spot. Then she started walking to the ring and I switched my thinking to how stupid this is.

Offline strummer

« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2019, 02:55:27 PM »
So I guess men on women violence is allowed now?  When did this happen???

Online NYU

« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2019, 02:58:07 PM »
I’m really not looking forward to seeing this “male on female” violence topic debated over the next few days in the sports media. I can see the fake-outraged politically correct stances already.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2019, 02:58:25 PM »
that nia shit saved what was a not really good men's rumble. The show overall was really good. AJ/Bryan was probably the worst match on the show which is shocking.

The idea of making the women's rumble 30 minutes is INSANE.

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2019, 03:01:07 PM »
I think I liked that show.  It definitely felt five hours long but I can't think of many ways they could have trimmed it because the Rumbles were going about 2 1/2 hours total on their own (and they definitely rushed the men's Rumble).  Love that both used NXT to their advantage instead of just rolling out old timers to fill slots.

I thought Nia's spot was cool.  Becky did it (kinda), so why not?

Offline Dave Meltzer

• New Poster Who Should Be Posting
  • New Poster Who'll Post A Lot
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2019, 03:04:15 PM »
The idea of making the women's rumble 30 minutes is INSANE.

No it's not.  Women are the inferior sex, and allowing them the same amount of time in a man's ring is what's insane.

It was also insane to allow Nia Snax in the men's rumble.  Just because she's bigger than most of the men, doesn't mean she should be allowed in the ring with them.

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2019, 03:10:52 PM »
Men's Rumble was bad for a Rumble and AJ-Bryan was bad. I liked everything else. Oddly enough the Nia spot was the only thing keeping me from turning off the men's Rumble.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Tino Standard

« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2019, 03:30:59 PM »
I have absolutely no idea who Bryan faces at WM. The AJ feud is running on fumes, and no one from SD was involved in the Rumble finish to get themselves into the title picture.

Offline fazzle

« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2019, 03:49:55 PM »
In a similar vein, I have no clue who Asuka faces at Mania either.  The SD side of Mania is completely up in the air, with only Miz vs Shane seeming like a lock.

Offline Kotzenjunge

• looptid
  • Kotzenjunge
    • A site I wrote.
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2019, 03:53:59 PM »
I honestly left my place for a while near the end of the men's Rumble, figuring I'd be able to see the highlights of Rollins winning on YouTube once I got back. I made the right call. Turning off a damn Rumble match as it's happening before all 30 people come out is something which would be unfathomable just this afternoon. Rollins felt like such a foregone conclusion to me (with McIntyre as my alternate) that I couldn't care. Hopefully he gets his coronation as THE guy at Wrestlemania.

At this point I can't help but feel like the women are booked and more enjoyable to watch in action than the men in WWE. The show was a tale of two halves. The women dominated the first half and the whole second half of the show wasn't nearly as entertaining, sensical, or put together. Maybe I'm just that happy that Becky got the big win in super underdog babyface fashion.

Offline Kotzenjunge

• looptid
  • Kotzenjunge
    • A site I wrote.
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2019, 03:57:37 PM »
Big positive about this show though: It felt unique thanks to the entranceway and wrestlers coming out of the dugout. Are they saving pyro exclusively for Wrestlemania these days? Figure a big stadium show like this would have had at least some here and there.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2019, 04:09:24 PM »
Invalid Tweet ID
brock is god

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2019, 05:10:49 PM »
Nia really fucked up when she gave that (accidental) concussion to Becky (due to carelessness) but I feel like she earned some goodwill tonight. Twitter posts seem to be mostly positive with a few obvious trolls.

And I'd imagine she had a blast doing it anyway. From the 24 special I really got the vibe she's very happy to be there.

Offline pujoljunkie

• Old Navy / Diet Snapple Publishing Group
  • CXF Writer
  • PujolJunkie
« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2019, 05:29:38 PM »
I have absolutely no idea who Bryan faces at WM. The AJ feud is running on fumes, and no one from SD was involved in the Rumble finish to get themselves into the title picture.

I wouldn't rule out Bryan facing Seth Rollins. If a women's match main events, you can do Bryan/Rollins and Brock/Demon Balor

Offline Fall of Epic

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2019, 02:07:20 AM »
They have two PPVs before WM so they have plenty of time to figure it out.

I enjoyed the Rumble overall although it was really fucking long. I missed the first half hour so I went back and watched the whole thing from the start and it didn't end until after midnight. Yikes.

Nia's appearance in the men's Rumble was odd. Like, I'm not offended by it or anything and I did expect Truth to get jumped but it seems strange they'd give the spot to her. Nonetheless, her role was great and I'm sure she built up some goodwill with the company by taking that offense. LOL to anyone who thought she was being cut after the Becky incident.

Also LOL to anyone who thought Finn was going over. This was a typical Brock match where Brock takes a ton of offense, shakes it off, F-5, win (though in this case, it was the Kamura lock). Brock is keeping the title until Mania (and I wouldn't be shocked if he retains there either).

What kayfabe authority does Finlay have for allowing Becky to compete in the Rumble? I can understand why having Shane out there wouldn't have made sense considering he had competed in a match but couldn't they just have Stephanie out there giving Becky her blessing?

I thought they overdid the "save" spot. They used it for Naomi (who was my favorite, honestly), Kacy, and Kofi.

Looks like Ziggler worked us about the hiatus thing. Also, I guess the Maria thing wasn't true either? She had a decent showing in the Rumble. If she got chucked right away, I'd say there were truth to the rumors but that wasn't the case.

Also side note: I feel like Alicia Fox doesn't get enough love. She plays her character perfectly and is just fine in the ring.

Offline Spaceman Spiff 🚀

« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2019, 02:25:30 AM »
It always boggles my mind how Rumble entrants work from a kayfabe standpoint.  You can just announce yourself as entering the Rumble, and you are in?  Why doesn't everyone do that?  How does Curt Hawkins, a guy whose entire gimmick is "has not won a match since his return to the company", qualify to get in the Rumble?  And if you can take a guy's spot by attacking him & getting into the ring before he does, why isn't everyone else on the roster lining the aisle waiting to jump someone in order to usurp their spot?  A guaranteed world title shot at the biggest show of the year, so why aren't more guys taking advantage of this apparent loophole?

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2019, 02:29:01 AM »
It always boggles my mind how Rumble entrants work from a kayfabe standpoint.  You can just announce yourself as entering the Rumble, and you are in?  Why doesn't everyone do that?  How does Curt Hawkins, a guy whose entire gimmick is "has not won a match since his return to the company", qualify to get in the Rumble?  And if you can take a guy's spot by attacking him & getting into the ring before he does, why isn't everyone else on the roster lining the aisle waiting to jump someone in order to usurp their spot?  A guaranteed world title shot at the biggest show of the year, so why aren't more guys taking advantage of this apparent loophole?
WWE booking is a lot like time travel tv show plots. It's best not to think about it.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2019, 02:29:55 AM »
Also, Kacy was my favourite "both feet have to touch the floor" Rumble save, but agree that they definitely overdid it. It's dumb that it has to happen in BOTH rumbles now. Just give the gimmick to one person and let them run with it.

Offline Fall of Epic

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2019, 02:36:28 AM »
They ran a lot of the same spots in both Rumbles. Other than the save spot, they also did the "hiding under the ring" spot (Zelina, Hawkins) and the "entrant can't compete, here's comes a new entrant" spot (Lana, Truth).

Speaking of Zelina, goddamn that Vega from SF cosplay was awesome.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2019, 02:38:02 AM »
Seriously. I was hoping she'd do a backflip and yodel, though.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2019, 03:48:18 AM »

I wouldn't rule out Bryan facing Seth Rollins. If a women's match main events, you can do Bryan/Rollins and Brock/Demon Balor

It would make Seth look like a coward who is ducking Brock...which means they will probably do it.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2019, 03:57:01 AM »
Seriously. I was hoping she'd do a backflip and yodel, though.

Well, damn. Now, I want to see Zelina Vega in a cage match.