Author Topic: Dean Ambrose leaving WWE  (Read 2118 times)

Description:

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
Dean Ambrose leaving WWE
« on: January 28, 2019, 05:32:15 PM »
Dean Ambrose, a main event wrestler for WWE since debuting with The Shield in 2012, has given his notice to WWE that he will be finishing up when his current contract expires at the end of April, according to three PWTorch sources. He broke the news to management this weekend, including directly in a meeting with Vince McMahon, after being offered a new contract and a raise weeks ago.

Sources tell PWTorch that Ambrose has been long frustrated with the creative direction of his character and reached a breaking point recently. He’s indicated to WWE management this weekend he’s not interested in negotiating further and made it clear this isn’t about trying to get more money. One of his colleagues on the roster, when asked tonight about Dean’s demeanor lately and if there were any signs of discontent, said “he’s pretty much impossible to read.” He added, though, that Dean “hates hokey sh–” and, since so much of his character has been portrayed as hokey in the last few years, he’s not surprised that would have built up frustration leading to a breaking point.

https://www.pwtorch.com/site/2019/01/29/dean-ambrose-leaving-wwe-shortly-after-wrestlemania-when-his-contract-expires-in-april/

This actually explains a lot, including his poor effort level during matches at a time when he's been asked to do these corny things. Going to be interesting when he signs somewhere that lets him play the character he wants.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
Re: Dean Ambrose leaving WWE
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 05:47:46 PM »
I'm happy that he's finally doing what he wants. Also happy to finally have it confirmed that Dean wasn't the one coming up with or agreeing with the terrible angles they were putting him in, which is something I always thought.

Dean could have been a big star in WWE if you look at how over he was at one point and also how over he managed to stay for so long and how fast he would re-heat every time they started to push him again. I don't blame him for finally giving up especially after coming back from an injury where he apparently got a life-threatening staph infection only to get a terrible gimmick and to see one of his best friends go down with leukemia.

I've been really frustrated with him in WWE and not been enjoying him at all but I'm interested to see what he can do outside of the WWE and he's easily a big enough star that AEW should sign him and I would actually watch if they did.

Offline Cool, Bad, & Handsome

• KOAB
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 05:55:29 PM »
Can't wait for the NJPW run

Offline Wrestlemania/Limp Bizkit WINNER

• Kreese
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 09:37:46 PM »
Goddamn imagine THIS Dean vs fat goth Jericho  :'(

Offline fisticuffs

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 11:38:43 PM »
I mentioned in the TWIW thread that his over selling of the curb stomp Monday night reminded me of HBK’s ridiculous selling of Hogan’s offense when HBK had to do the job back in 2005. Makes sense now.

Online Big Beard Booty Daddy

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 12:24:45 AM »
I'm happy that he's finally doing what he wants. Also happy to finally have it confirmed that Dean wasn't the one coming up with or agreeing with the terrible angles they were putting him in, which is something I always thought.

Dean could have been a big star in WWE if you look at how over he was at one point and also how over he managed to stay for so long and how fast he would re-heat every time they started to push him again. I don't blame him for finally giving up especially after coming back from an injury where he apparently got a life-threatening staph infection only to get a terrible gimmick and to see one of his best friends go down with leukemia.

I've been really frustrated with him in WWE and not been enjoying him at all but I'm interested to see what he can do outside of the WWE and he's easily a big enough star that AEW should sign him and I would actually watch if they did.

I always said that, with his whole unhinged character, he could have been a modern Brian Pillman.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Online Krankor

• Krankor
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 12:48:14 AM »
He was overselling all of the dives too. Overselling for obese, out of breath women. He's checked out.

He'll go to AEW and wrestle in a mask as Mr Wrestlecuck III.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 01:40:11 AM »
Hopefully he's one of the 6-8 AEW has any interest in, according to Jericho. But for the love of Mitch, Jericho wouldn't forget Dean.
Show loose women what I'm workin' with.

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 01:57:30 AM »
I’ve read that his Chronicle indicated he’s burned out and there’s some that believe he could as easily walk away from the wrestling business.

[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 02:15:40 AM »
That's gonna suck for Renee. Vince is 100% going to use her as a proxy for his usual bullshit.
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 02:22:13 AM »
I don't think Renee will suffer, if only because Steph has to be smart enough to point out that punishing the EXTREMELY POPULAR FEMALE PERFORMER for something a man did won't go over well. That's the kind of bad PR that AEW could take and run with.

It's not surprising that Dean hates the schlocky crap he's been given. The guy gained notoriety by having bloody brawls, insane and profane promos, and being a main guy in CZW. None of that adds up to "slime in a briefcase" or "Bray Wyatt hologram" to me.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 03:24:54 AM »
Best for everyone involved, I think.  Dean has been phoning it in probably since the Brock match at Mania.  In recent months he's been a major drag on the product and I basically check out whenever he comes out.

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 03:27:55 AM »
After the Brock match we still had his title reign and his time on Smackdown was good.  To me, they started really doing nothing worthwhile with him when they moved him to RAW.  Him and Miz made the most of corny material and then it was a waste, his injury and the bad booking he had since his return.
[img width=800

• Admin
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 04:17:32 AM »
I’ve read that his Chronicle indicated he’s burned out and there’s some that believe he could as easily walk away from the wrestling business.

Keller reported this isn't the case and that he wants to go work somewhere else.

If it did turn out that he was burned out that badly, it would really suck for him as he's made nowhere near enough money to actually walk away from the wrestling business. He would probably have to keep working anyway like Del Rio or anyone else who obviously doesn't care anymore.

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2019, 04:47:42 AM »

Keller reported this isn't the case and that he wants to go work somewhere else.

If it did turn out that he was burned out that badly, it would really suck for him as he's made nowhere near enough money to actually walk away from the wrestling business. He would probably have to keep working anyway like Del Rio or anyone else who obviously doesn't care anymore.

What? Ambrose made bank from his WWE run. He was a bottom top 10 paid guy and all the merch he pushed? Also reports I saw said he doesn’t live a big lifestyle and would be just fine financially.

DTF

• Admin
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2019, 04:53:08 AM »

What? Ambrose made bank from his WWE run. He was a bottom top 10 paid guy and all the merch he pushed? Also reports I saw said he doesn’t live a big lifestyle and would be just fine financially.

He got pushed for five years, right? Spent one of those years at home with an injury, probably was just getting his downside. Was really only at the top of the card for a year and a half or so. How much do you think these guys get paid? Even if we assume that for some reason WWE was paying him a million a year, plus the expenses one incurs on the road all the time he's been in the business, or whatever he had in debt before this run, and taxes, that's nowhere near enough to live on for the rest of his life. Nobody wants to live like a Walmart employee just so they don't have to go to work.

He also said this:

“At this point, money or any kind of quantifiable statistics, titles or whatever, or any kind of validation from anybody is not really important to me any more at this point. The most important thing, the thing that makes me the happiest, is just being happy with a piece of work. Like an artist makes a watercolor painting or whatever, and they sit back and go, ‘I’m really happy with that.’ The thing that I value most in my past and my career at this point, I realize they’re just the stories that I’m more proud of that were told, that still stand up. Just good pieces of work. I want to be happy with the finished product. Whether that’s one match, or a longer story, or if that’s one interview, or whatever. Whatever it is. That’s the most important thing to me at this point. Because I’ve had all the other things. Out of every thing that there is, that’s still the most rewarding thing and the only thing that drives me or gets me really excited other than just the live performance and being in front of the crowd, is that artistic, creative satisfaction.”

So obviously he's not going to just sit at home.

• Laz
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2019, 05:00:42 AM »
You know, I wonder what he'd be like in a grindy action movie...

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2019, 05:13:20 AM »
You know, I wonder what he'd be like in a grindy action movie...

[img width=800

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2019, 05:18:43 AM »
Celebrity net worth (I guess it's credible?) has him at 7 million.

• Laz
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2019, 05:20:23 AM »
I forgot about that. Shit.

Offline geniusMoment

• Trailer Park Supervisor
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2019, 05:35:56 AM »
I think he's obviously going to AEW.  I mean, he's had years to get fed up and quit, and he just happens to do it right before the next big thing in wrestling is about to start?  Honestly, i've never been a fan of his WWE stuff though.  But, maybe that's just because I hate WWE.
Randy!

Online Epic for the Summer

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2019, 05:46:08 AM »
Sami Callihan is going to ditch those Christ geeks and reunite with Ambrose for the REAL OI4K.

Anyway, I was a bigger fan of Ambrose than most. I remember when he was first signed to FCW and watching him work down there. He had it all, facial expressions, technique, personality, the whole package. When he debuted on the main roster, I thought he'd be the hardest pushed of the Shield. It sucks that he won't be in my weekly viewing anymore but he was pretty unmotivated. I respect him for walking away when it wasn't fun for him anymore and look forward to see what else he does in wrestling.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2019, 05:47:27 AM »

Offline Cool, Bad, & Handsome

• KOAB
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2019, 07:18:06 AM »
I'm thinking he hit his breaking point over the promos after his heel turn where he had to bring up Roman's own health problems and mortality while he just got over his own issues with the infection he got after his surgery. There was probably no coming back from that since he's seemed to have checked out since then.

• Admin
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2019, 07:23:20 AM »

I don't remember them releasing a statement like this before, so that leads me to believe they don't think he'll change his mind.

Offline Tino Standard

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2019, 07:23:49 AM »
Wow, WWE putting out a statement on a talent departing this far in advance, especially right as WM season is kicking into gear, is very odd.

Offline Dandy

• Top 128 Poster
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2019, 07:38:37 AM »
Conspiracy Theory:  They hope the WWE Universe will feel betrayed by him leaving and will boo him and not follow him to the next company.

This is WWE we are talking about.
Oh Dandy...you came and you gave without taking!

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2019, 07:46:53 AM »
This is all to build up when he sits in the crowd at Takeover New York
[img width=800

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2019, 08:37:23 AM »
Wow, WWE putting out a statement on a talent departing this far in advance, especially right as WM season is kicking into gear, is very odd.

Makes it seem like a work, maybe?

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2019, 09:07:59 AM »

I’m now convinced it’s a work.

DTF

• Admin
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2019, 09:14:35 AM »
I'm convinced they released it so that people won't be mad when they decide to send him home instead of giving him free publicity before jumping to a competitor.

No idea why people would think it's a work. That guy probably didn't intend for his career to turn out where he could spray other people with ketchup and make jokes about sticking needles in his ass.

Also, they gave him the IC belt, made him unceremoniously drop it after a few weeks, had him get eliminated from the Rumble by a new guy, lose to Seth last night and get run out of the ring by two women. Doesn't pass the work smell test to me.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2019, 09:33:57 AM »
Yeah. They're saying something so that they can get ahead of the rumors and just have him sit out his contract at home, IMO. Their fans are not going to get invested in a guy that they know is on the way out and really has no rub to give anyway.

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2019, 09:35:04 AM »
I’m hoping this is a work only for it to be a long con to lead to Dean beating Seth for the WWE Title on his “last night” and getting a Summer of Ambrose storyline.

DTF

• Admin
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2019, 09:40:20 AM »
Yeah. They're saying something so that they can get ahead of the rumors and just have him sit out his contract at home, IMO. Their fans are not going to get invested in a guy that they know is on the way out and really has no rub to give anyway.

A work to this extent requires them to also work the other talent in a company where numerous talents have asked for a release. Suffice it to say that doesn't sound like a very good idea. I don't know why it's so hard to believe that the ketchup and germs man thinks WWE is a trash company to work for and he wants to go do something else.

Offline Hawk 34

• Death Pool Winner
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2019, 09:41:47 AM »
I’m still hopeful that stuff with Nia last night means Ambrose does the Jarrett thing and loses to her on the way out.

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • All hail Gritty!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2019, 10:21:48 AM »

Maybe he's pulling a Pillman where he "quits" and actually comes back.
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2019, 10:36:12 AM »
I'm not saying I'm certain it is a work or anything close to that.  It very well could be legit.  But WWE coming out and announcing it right away seems very strange, which is why it sounds like it could be.  Especially with other wrestlers asking for releases now as well.  I could see Vince mocking that.

It just sounds awfully similar to what they have done with Dolph Ziggler "quitting" in the not so distant past.  I want to think it is legit, but in wrestling you always have to be a little bit skeptical when oddities appear.

Offline Wrestlemania/Limp Bizkit WINNER

• Kreese
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2019, 10:42:05 AM »
They don't issue statements like that through their PR reps to work the public, especially as a publicly traded company (while I don't think Dean leaving is going to affect the stock price, the story of a top star leaving the company is enough to theoretically cause a small dip). Just last week they issued the statement about Ronda's contract status. I don't know that they're going to take him off TV but I do think under the circumstances they want the fans to start seeing him as a lame duck. I also think they want to undercut his leverage in case they think he's angling to get a bigger contract.

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2019, 11:36:13 AM »
To me, the difference is he isn't asking for a release with plenty of time left like others.  He's just saying he isn't re-signing.
[img width=800

Offline Tino Standard

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2019, 12:11:41 PM »
Jeez, they even put it on Instagram

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2019, 12:31:29 PM »
He'll be at Double Or Nothing promising to either shake Cody's hand or slap him in the face.

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2019, 04:29:46 AM »
Surprised no one posted this one anywhere

[img width=800

Online Big Beard Booty Daddy

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2019, 04:36:15 AM »

And he's already released a shirt for it

2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline Ut Ot

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2019, 05:12:25 AM »

Who wants to tell him?

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2019, 07:59:28 AM »
lol

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2019, 09:05:42 AM »
Pfft... reading like five posts ahead is so Gen X old man bullshit

I should just repost the one he redid with Itami’s name
[img width=800

Offline THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2019, 09:17:22 AM »
Saw this great tweet wrt Ambrose leaving and his disdain for hokey shit...apologies if its been posted

@alfdogg765 on Twitter FOLLOW ME

Offline CookieMueller

• Forever blowing bubbles
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2019, 09:27:26 AM »
I wonder what Joey Ryan will have to say about this

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2019, 09:32:18 AM »
Dagger in my heart, man. I saw Dean face Tyson Kidd in a dark match around a year before the Shield debut. I was so fascinated by his mic work pre match. After the show I started researching his old stuff and was fan boying hard. I found a Twitter page that was antsy for his main roster debut, too.

When he won the title it was such a cool moment to have seen him go from dark match to WWE champion.

I don't make a lot of live shows these days. The last dark match I saw that was of any no one to star type substance it involved Heidenreich.

• Laz
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2019, 12:04:59 PM »
I eagerly anticipate Jon Moxley being a vicious, Piper-meets-Joker like asshole again.