Author Topic: NFL Offseason  (Read 665 times)

Description:

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
  • Laugh This Off... Puddin!
    • Culture Crossfire
NFL Offseason
« on: January 30, 2019, 04:51:48 AM »
Signings are starting up now that we're just a few days away from the Super Bowl.

- Eagles agreed to terms with LB Paul Worrilow on a one-year contract. He missed the 2018 Season but could provide key depth.
- Giants released OLB Connor Barwin. Curious if Houston tries to re-sign him to a contract.
- Colts signed RG Mark Glowinski to a three-year, $18 million extension through 2021. He was their starting RG from Week 6 on.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
Re: NFL Offseason
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 04:24:35 AM »
Julius Peppers retired after 17 seasons and finishes his career ranked 4th in Sacks. No doubt Hall of Famer and a linchpin of the early dominant Carolina defenses.

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 11:56:55 AM »
One of a few Carolina Panthers I have high respect for.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 09:37:24 AM »

It's the Year of the Defensive Back this class.  Law is also the first Brady-era Patriot inducted.

Offline HISPANIC FOOTBALL LEGEND

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 09:39:38 AM »
Mawae, nice!

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 11:19:51 PM »
Really glad that Ty Law made it in as he deserves it and rivaled Champ Bailey as one of the best CBs in the NFL for a long time. Kevin Mawae's a bit of a surprise but he was the best Center (dirty a player as he was) after Dermontti Dawson for a long time & instrumental in the success of Curtis Martin whilst with the Jets.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 11:29:17 PM »
http://dailysnark.com/usain-bolt-casually-ties-nfl-record-40-yard-dash-wearing-sweat-pants-sneakers-at-super-bowl/

Usain Bolt at 32? ran a 4.22 40 yard dash, in sneakers, while letting up at the end due to the barrier. IIRC the math says he'd run around a 4.10 or something and that now seems somewhat legit if he was around 20-22 years old and trained right.

Fake Edit: This article says he could be under a 4.00. I don't think he'd be that fast but I could legit see a 4.08 to 4.15 time in a perfect environment.

Offline Krankor

• Krankor
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 12:30:45 AM »
One hit, he would shatter like glass. This isn't a frail man's game.

Offline Gert

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 12:40:54 AM »
Bolt is probably live at the #11 spot for the Bengals if Mike Brown read that article...

Offline Hawk 34

• Death Pool Winner
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 02:33:46 AM »
The Raiders will play in San Francisco at Oracle Park (Giants Ballpark) this season, one last year of baseball dirt tradition!

Offline MFer

• The Future Has Arrived
  • Admin
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 02:56:24 AM »
Rams QB coach Zac Taylor (age 35) has been hired as the Bengals head coach.

Offline Kotzenjunge

• looptid
  • Kotzenjunge
    • A site I wrote.
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 02:26:43 PM »
One hit, he would shatter like glass. This isn't a frail man's game.
This was said about Bullet Bob Hayes on the Cowboys too. He may not have been as effective as other recievers, but dude would be good for smoking someone once every game for a long gain.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 09:54:00 PM »
- Nick Foles declined the $20 Million option that Philadelphia used. Eagles can still franchise tag then trade him if they want to go that route.
- Arizona claimed LB Tanner Vallejo from the Cleveland Browns. Still young and had 27 tackles for the Browns. At his best when diagnosing plays and knifing through the OL but struggles when asked to sustain against blockers. Would be a better fit as a 3-4 ILB asked to make plays against the run.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2019, 01:38:37 PM »
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25938583/antonio-brown-pittsburgh-steelers-pushed-woman-ground-police-incident-report-says

I thought Days of Our Steelers was on hiatus for the offseason.

Pats are also bringing in Greg Schiano as DC.

Offline Kotzenjunge

• looptid
  • Kotzenjunge
    • A site I wrote.
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 06:36:43 AM »
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25973726/kareem-hunt-signs-browns

Kareem Hunt will be a Cleveland Brown in 2019. Poor Chubb.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 07:14:17 AM »
Not too surprising as GM John Dorsey came from the Chiefs and was a likely candidate to pick him up.

Offline Krankor

• Krankor
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 07:24:42 AM »
That for sure signals the end of Duke Johnson.

Offline Cartman

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 08:21:32 AM »
Keep in mind that Hunt is going to miss a large chunk of this upcoming season due to suspension.

KKK Bowl II Champion New York Giants
2005 TSM Fantasy Baseball Champion Pawtucket Red Sox
2006 TSM Fantasy Football Champion Pawtucket Patriots!!!
2011 TSM H2H Fantasy Football Champion
2012 TSM H2H Fantasy Football Champion

PSN ID: Theschill

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 11:36:01 AM »
I never believed for a second Hunt would be done. 

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2019, 12:38:57 AM »
Houston released WR Demaryius Thomas. He was owed $14 Million but could come back at a cheaper contract if he wants to stay in Houston.

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2019, 06:37:32 AM »
Browns going to the Super Bowl this year.

DTF

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2019, 12:05:33 AM »
Bills signed C Spencer Long, formerly of the Jets, to a three-year, $13 million contract.

Offline Hawk 34

• Death Pool Winner
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2019, 02:20:23 AM »
Flacco has been traded to Denver.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2019, 05:02:27 AM »
Flacco has been traded to Denver.

For only a 4th Round draft pick too. This also now has Denver shopping Case Keenum around to other teams as trade bait.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2019, 06:38:59 AM »
Minnesota can grab him and trade Cousins! 

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2019, 09:59:18 AM »
That trade seems like the definition of a lateral move.

Offline Detective Ventriloquist

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2019, 10:45:35 PM »
That trade seems like the definition of a lateral move.

It's about as lateral a move as you can make, as far as stats go:

2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline Krankor

• Krankor
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2019, 10:49:00 PM »
Keenum has probably benefited from better WRs in Minnesota & Denver. Baltimore has had some pretty bad WRs.

Online Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2019, 07:15:43 AM »
The NFL settled with Kap to keep things out of court.

There's one report saying they gave him a bag with 60-80 million in it.

Considering that the NFL wanted to go to war with Tom Brady and take him to court, that report sounds pretty accurate to me.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2019, 07:55:08 AM »
- Lions released FS Glover Quin saving $6.25 Million with $1.7 Million in dead money. They also released LB Nicholas Grigsby and WR Bruce Ellington.
- Bills released TE Charles Clay saving $4.5 Million with $4.5 Million in dead money.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2019, 08:05:31 AM »
The NFL settled with Kap to keep things out of court.

There's one report saying they gave him a bag with 60-80 million in it.

Considering that the NFL wanted to go to war with Tom Brady and take him to court, that report sounds pretty accurate to me.

In other words, the NFL was scared of something getting out.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2019, 08:14:39 AM »
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/15/nfls-settlement-avoids-disclosure-of-emails-texts-testimony/

"The buying of peace carries with it not only the avoidance of a potentially massive judgment and the embarrassment and stress of a full-blown hearing during which owners and executives would have been twisted in various shapes and sizes of sailing knots but also the disclosure of a likely treasure trove of emails, text messages, and deposition transcripts generated in more than a year of pre-hearing discovery.

The fact that Eric Reid’s case also was settled confirms that the NFL did this to keep testimony and documents secret, and that the NFL offered enough to persuade Reid, who in some ways seemed to be even more determined to seek justice than Kaepernick, to stand down."

• Admin
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2019, 08:15:44 AM »
It was also stated at one point that Kap would only settle if he got a massive amount of money.

I have no doubt there was collusion against him.

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Cartman

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2019, 10:01:54 AM »
Good for Kap, now he can go play in the AAF! Oh wait, he doesn't actually WANT to play football.

Offline HISPANIC FOOTBALL LEGEND

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2019, 10:30:34 AM »
Good for Kap, now he can go play in the AAF! Oh wait, he doesn't actually WANT to play football.

Oh wait they actually did collude against him

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2019, 10:43:32 AM »
Why would he want to play for the AAF?  In his last season, he threw for nearly 60% and had 16 TDs to only 4 INTs.

• Admin
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2019, 10:45:54 AM »
You'd have to be a total moron to think a guy who stood on the sidelines while Blaine Gabbert was leading the team out there doesn't want to play football. He could have just went home and quit if he didn't want to play football.

He obviously wants to be paid what he's worth. Which is more than 18 million dollar a year Case Keenum and 17 million Blake Bortles. Because yes he is a lot better than those bums and took a team to the motherfucking Super Bowl. Name one other QB in their prime in today's NFL who threw for 300 yards in a Super Bowl who isn't worth that money and name one who should have to play in a development league. That guy led a huge Super Bowl comeback after his special teams unit spread their cheeks.

It isn't like the guy was a bum player, his team wanted to lose as many football games as possible. It has also worked out very well for the 49ers as you can see, they're doing so great these days. If he was still as good as he was, I would genuinely consider having him over the guy we have now.

Offline Cartman

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2019, 11:20:24 AM »
He's mediocre at best, sorry.

Denver offered to trade for him after the whole kneeling thing went crazy and he turned them down and chose to opt out of his contract with the 49'ers. If he really wanted a chance to play in the league he would have taken that opportunity when a team clearly wanted him.

Also if he was so awesome during that fabled Super Bowl run and the decent year after he had, why was he benched for Gabbert for half of the next 3 seasons?

Oh here's part of that reason:

Kaepernick burned the 49ers last season after he injured his shoulder in the early part of the year and played through the injury until he was benched for poor play.

Kaepernick didn’t exactly engage in a rehabilitation plan that would get him back on the field immediately and he waited to have surgery on his shoulder, knowing that if he made it to April 1 and he wasn’t fully healthy, the 49ers would have to pick up the full $11.9 million he was owed in 2016. Kaepernick had the NFLPA ready to pounce if push came to shove.

It was a shrewd and a bit nefarious move by Kaepernick and it worked.

Kaepernick missed the first two games of the preseason recovering from that surgery, too, and by the time he played (poorly), the anthem controversy was full bore and the 49ers didn’t have much of a choice but to keep him — unless they wanted Jeff Driskel to be their backup quarterback.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/49ers-colin-kaepernick-blaine-gabbert-start-chip-kelly-nfl-cardinals-score-schedule-100616

I get why some people love the guy, but aside from the kneeling thing, which I think was great, he's kind of a turd. Which is another part of why most teams didn't want to bother.

• Admin
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2019, 11:28:07 AM »

He's mediocre at best, sorry.

Denver offered to trade for him after the whole kneeling thing went crazy and he turned them down and chose to opt out of his contract with the 49'ers. If he really wanted a chance to play in the league he would have taken that opportunity when a team clearly wanted him.

Mediocre is better than at least 10 other NFL starters. Maybe 15. I think he might be a piece of shit in reality and I don't really know but there are teams with Big Rape playing at QB. Big Rape has fallen out with so many teammates and yet his team still won't get rid of him.

The Denver trade proposal was also before the anthem protest. Then they didn't want him and started Brock Osweiler and Paxton Lynch. I dunno but to me that is very fishy and there are so many more examples of this.

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2019, 12:49:32 PM »
The guy hasn't thrown a football in almost 3 years. How can you say he's worth more than other starting QBs?

DTF

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2019, 01:02:06 PM »
No idea how good he is now because he hasn't played, but when he was last on the field he was probably a low end/fringe starter.  Definitely not better than 15 starting QBs.  His record was abysmal (Blaine Gabbert did better with the same team), and he was benched twice due to poor play.  He was good enough to be in the NFL and possibly start for the bottom 3-4 teams.  That's about it.  He had the Super Bowl run, but that was well in the rearview mirror.  He was no longer as good as he once was.  And a single hot streak to get to a Super Bowl is overrated anyways.  The likes of Kerry Collins and Rex Grossman went to Super Bowls too.  Or even Joe Flacco, the guy who beat Kaepernick and just got run out of Baltimore.

Now whether they colluded against him or simply decided it wasn't worth the headache for a top end backup/bottom end starter is a different story, but that the NFL settled instead of fight doesn't look good for them.

EDIT:  I thought about a bit more to see what teams I think might be worth starting Kaepernick.  I'm just going to assume he is the same player he was when he got blackballed.  A big assumption, but let's go with it.  I got three teams: Miami, Jacksonville, and Washington. Denver just got Flacco, so that's a no go, but he's pretty bad at this point so you could maybe make the argument there.  Alex Smith is better than Kaepernick, but I don't expect to see him anytime soon or maybe ever so Washington makes the list.  Everyone else has either a better QB, a young QB on a rookie deal with more upside, or has no chance to do anything right away and would be better off going with somebody in the draft.  That fits with the 3-4 teams I guessed earlier.

Offline Cartman

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2019, 01:36:37 AM »
Also, I feel like the NFL just wants this to to away as soon as possible, and settling like this is the best way to do that. The money is chump change in the grand scheme, and with the huge rebound in ratings as the whole controversy died down this season, they just want to distance themselves from it altogether as opposed to drawing out a court battle and keeping it in the news for longer.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2019, 01:38:15 AM »
Also, I feel like the NFL just wants this to to away as soon as possible, and settling like this is the best way to do that. The money is chump change in the grand scheme, and with the huge rebound in ratings as the whole controversy died down this season, they just want to distance themselves from it altogether as opposed to drawing out a court battle and keeping it in the news for longer.

They could have done that ages ago though.  I really do think they didn't want something get it out at trial.  Either there was proof of collusion or something else.

Offline DorianS

• Flik is me
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #43 on: Today at 12:05:55 AM »
I'd wage on the something else. Something that only could've been proven via Kap and Reid's together. Which would tarnish(ha) the league to a huge degree. Which would also be why both settled because they don't want to fuck everyone over.