Author Topic: MLB Regular Season: 2019  (Read 6927 times)

Description:

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
Re: MLB Regular Season: 2019
« Reply #250 on: August 06, 2019, 07:28:06 AM »
Yeah. Sorry if I said that and it sounded like I was ragging on the Marlins. I was more trying to say that the Marlins haven't managed to equal the trade value for Yelich so far. I figured people seemed good, but getting there is still a process.

Will say though, it is interesting to see all the very young and good talent around the league. They all seem to be great talents (or at least the ones I pay attention to).

Offline treble

• Truculence
  • Admin
« Reply #251 on: August 07, 2019, 05:48:41 AM »
I also feel like Stroman probably thought he was going to a pennant race and now he has to go to the Mets. Ouch.
This isn't aging well.

Online New-New-New England Order

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #252 on: August 07, 2019, 06:17:54 AM »
I just looked at the NL standings.  Fuckin' Miami is only 17 games out of a playoff spot.  What the hell?

Offline alkeiper

• Welcoming our new insect overlords
« Reply #253 on: August 08, 2019, 01:19:35 AM »
The National League apart from the Braves and Dodgers is unbelieveably mediocre this season. The Phillies are in a playoff spot despite playing like absolute shit at times.

Offline Aero

« Reply #254 on: August 09, 2019, 01:33:59 PM »
HOOK THIS METS RUN TO MY VEINS!

Online Krankor

• Krankor
« Reply #255 on: August 10, 2019, 11:14:37 AM »
Aristides Aquino has homered in 4 straight games for the Reds. He's already hit 2 homers so far tonight.

Online Krankor

• Krankor
« Reply #256 on: August 10, 2019, 11:34:50 AM »
Make it 3. Dude just murdered a ball.

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #257 on: August 11, 2019, 02:51:33 AM »
The Cleveland Indians fell as far as 11.5 back of the Twins back in June. A win today creates a tie for first place in the AL Central.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #258 on: August 12, 2019, 12:08:11 PM »
Gleyber Torres is a certifiable Oriole murderer.  Hits a solo HR in game 1 of the double header, then 2 more in the nightcap.  Yankees already had the all-time record for most HR against an opponent in a season coming into these games and have hit 7 more today

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • All hail Gritty!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
« Reply #259 on: August 13, 2019, 01:26:31 PM »
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Offline strummer

« Reply #260 on: August 14, 2019, 08:24:25 AM »
The Yankees went 17-2 against the Orioles this season

Offline Dandy

• Top 128 Poster
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #261 on: August 14, 2019, 11:16:32 AM »
How did the Orioles do on Sundays?
Oh Dandy...you came and you gave without taking!

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #262 on: August 14, 2019, 04:20:14 PM »
No way did the Orioles win two games.

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #263 on: August 15, 2019, 12:01:29 AM »
Both of them were on the opening weekend, FWIW.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #264 on: August 15, 2019, 08:20:55 AM »
Somehow 2B Jurickson Profar has managed 100+ games for Oakland while hitting .205 with a 73 OPS+ and -0.6 WAR... seriously, Oakland can't find any other body to play 2B for them?

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #265 on: August 16, 2019, 01:43:50 AM »
Bryce Harper's grand slam was the moment of the year thus far for the Phillies. Three in a row for the Phils and though they have been maddingly inconsistent, they could have a run in them yet. The team is slowly patching their bullpen with average but still better than before relievers like Blake Parker, Mike Morin and now Jared Hughes. I can't see how they can expect to make it past a first round matchup with the Dodgers, but it at least makes for an exciting August/September.

The Cubs are percentage points out of first in the Central and still in position for the wild card, but this loss certainly seems to have brought the defeatist attitude from the fans. They look nowhere near the team from 2016 that looked poised to dominate for half a decade.

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #266 on: August 17, 2019, 02:01:20 AM »
I'm fairly certain the world needs Bill Walton to call every baseball game.

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/bill-walton-calls-white-sox-game-from-broadcast-booth

Offline Bladelock

• brock lock
« Reply #267 on: August 17, 2019, 03:45:09 AM »
Bryce Harper's grand slam was the moment of the year thus far for the Phillies. Three in a row for the Phils and though they have been maddingly inconsistent, they could have a run in them yet. The team is slowly patching their bullpen with average but still better than before relievers like Blake Parker, Mike Morin and now Jared Hughes. I can't see how they can expect to make it past a first round matchup with the Dodgers, but it at least makes for an exciting August/September.

The Cubs are percentage points out of first in the Central and still in position for the wild card, but this loss certainly seems to have brought the defeatist attitude from the fans. They look nowhere near the team from 2016 that looked poised to dominate for half a decade.

They did the same thing yesterday losing in the ninth. The Dodgers and Astros are basically the teams the Cubs should've been. Joe is getting nearly all of the blame, but I think more blame should be put on Theo for some of his choices he's made and not selling high on guys that have minimal value now like Russell, Schwarber, and Almora. Kris Bryant is still very good, but doesn't seem like that elite player he should've been and I don't think he's gonna stay in Chicago when he hits FA, so I'd dangle him in trades in the offseason if it continues to get bad.

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #268 on: August 17, 2019, 04:29:16 AM »
I'm fairly certain the world needs Bill Walton to call every baseball game.

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/bill-walton-calls-white-sox-game-from-broadcast-booth

That's fantastic.  I was watching a Padres broadcast recently where Walton was being interviewed.  He was there because his band was playing at the park that night and it was a whole story of him starting as a roadie for this group and working his way in.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #269 on: August 19, 2019, 07:16:15 AM »

They did the same thing yesterday losing in the ninth. The Dodgers and Astros are basically the teams the Cubs should've been. Joe is getting nearly all of the blame, but I think more blame should be put on Theo for some of his choices he's made and not selling high on guys that have minimal value now like Russell, Schwarber, and Almora. Kris Bryant is still very good, but doesn't seem like that elite player he should've been and I don't think he's gonna stay in Chicago when he hits FA, so I'd dangle him in trades in the offseason if it continues to get bad.
They did trade Jorge Soler. The difficulty is that most teams are also aware if a player has peaked, so it's hard to play that game anymore. Still, I would've expected those players to improve. I wonder how much of it ties into the juiced ball so drastically changing the game the last three years. Certain teams (Astros, Dodgers, Yankees) and their analytic departments adjusted quickly. I think some analytic teams may have been left behind.

And since I mentioned it, let me complain about home runs again. We know the ball is juiced. AAA baseball switched the baseballs they use and in ONE YEAR the home run rate spiked 60%. This is not good nor particularly entertaining baseball.

Offline strummer

« Reply #270 on: August 19, 2019, 08:39:23 AM »
I was watching some of the broadcast last night and Buster Olney mentioned that Maddon is upset about the shift to analytics in the game and that situational strategies mean nothing anymore.  In all honesty he sounds like a guy who's mentally checked out of managing at this point.

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #271 on: August 19, 2019, 01:25:22 PM »
Sale is shut down for the season and the spectre of Tommy John is floating around.  It's like last season used up this team's lifeforce or something.

Offline Bladelock

• brock lock
« Reply #272 on: August 19, 2019, 05:04:36 PM »

They did trade Jorge Soler. The difficulty is that most teams are also aware if a player has peaked, so it's hard to play that game anymore. Still, I would've expected those players to improve. I wonder how much of it ties into the juiced ball so drastically changing the game the last three years. Certain teams (Astros, Dodgers, Yankees) and their analytic departments adjusted quickly. I think some analytic teams may have been left behind.

And since I mentioned it, let me complain about home runs again. We know the ball is juiced. AAA baseball switched the baseballs they use and in ONE YEAR the home run rate spiked 60%. This is not good nor particularly entertaining baseball.

It's actively harming the game for me. The homers are so diluted, it might be harder to tell who is good at them than during the juiced up players era.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #273 on: August 21, 2019, 05:18:44 AM »
It's interesting to note the BAs...

1997: 35 players had a .300+ BA
1998: 49 players had a .300+ BA
1999: 55 players had a .300+ BA
2000: 53 players had a .300+ BA
2001: 46 players had a .300+ BA

2016: 25 players had a .300+ BA
2017: 25 players had a .300+ BA
2018: 16 players had a .300+ BA
2019: 19 players currently have a .300+ BA

It's hard to say whether this is a result of the home runs or the change in pitching makeup (with pitchers using their own analytics to evaluate pitch types that get more strikeouts) or even the utilization of shift tactics defensively. Also bullpens employ a ton of guys who can throw 95+ heat even in comparison to the late 90s and early 00s, which is a subtle but radical difference. Say what you will about launch angles, etc. but trying to just get a base hit off a guy throwing 96, 97, 99, 95, and 97 every single pitch is a lot harder.

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #274 on: August 21, 2019, 05:39:11 AM »
Look at BABIP (Batting Average on Balls In Play).  This year it is .299 and for the last twenty years it has run within five points of that. The difference in batting average is almost entirely teams striking out two more times a game on average.

Offline Cartman

« Reply #275 on: August 21, 2019, 06:15:48 AM »
I believe the growing use of shifts over the past few years has attributed to the BA drop also. Teams would rather have players swing for the fences and either HR or K than hit into these shifts constantly.

Offline strummer

« Reply #276 on: August 22, 2019, 02:32:30 PM »
Todd Frazier just made it to 3rd base on a ground ball to the pitcher. I'm not joking. I've been watching baseball for close to 35 years and pretty sure I've never seen that before. Check the highlight if you can

Offline Bladelock

• brock lock
« Reply #277 on: August 22, 2019, 05:07:44 PM »
?s=21

?s=21

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #278 on: August 23, 2019, 12:25:06 AM »
Todd Frazier just made it to 3rd base on a ground ball to the pitcher. I'm not joking. I've been watching baseball for close to 35 years and pretty sure I've never seen that before. Check the highlight if you can
Could've been worse. Miguel Cabrera once made it home on a chopper to the pitcher.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/DET/DET201206160.shtml

Single to P (Ground Ball to Front of Home); Cabrera Scores/Adv on E1/Adv on E2 (throw to 3B)/unER

But the all time champion is Tommy John committing three errors on the same play.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #279 on: August 25, 2019, 04:29:36 PM »
I was reading about the 1981 work stoppage and "split season" and didn't realize that Cincinnati had the best record in the NL West and St Louis in the NL East but neither made the playoffs because they didn't finish in first in either "half" of the season.

Also, there were uneven numbers of games played between teams.  So for example St. Louis played 102 games, while the two teams that made the playoffs, the Expos and Phillies, played 108 and 107 respectively

What a fucked up season

Offline Bladelock

• brock lock
« Reply #280 on: August 26, 2019, 03:30:00 AM »
The Player's Weekend jersey were some of the ugliest jersey's I've ever seen in sports. The all white uniforms with white font made it hard to see who was who at times and the players looked like they were in an asylum. The all black jerseys just made the players look like umpires. Rob Manfred might be worse than Selig.

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #281 on: August 27, 2019, 11:01:05 PM »
The Player's Weekend jersey were some of the ugliest jersey's I've ever seen in sports. The all white uniforms with white font made it hard to see who was who at times and the players looked like they were in an asylum. The all black jerseys just made the players look like umpires. Rob Manfred might be worse than Selig.
The pitchers for the teams in white had to wear black caps so the ball wouldn’t blend in. I’m no fashion expert, but I think rule number one of uniform design is that it has to be legal to wear the fucking thing on the field.

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #282 on: August 28, 2019, 03:05:07 AM »
I collect jerseys and have no interest in any of the Player's Weekend monstrosities.

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!

Offline strummer

« Reply #284 on: August 30, 2019, 01:58:07 PM »
Nats and Cubs are starting to pull away in the NL wildcard race.  Looks like it's not going to be chaos like everyone was predicting with all the teams bunched together a month or so ago

Offline Bladelock

• brock lock
« Reply #285 on: August 30, 2019, 03:02:38 PM »
Cubs are only one back of the Cards. They still have to play each other 7 times before the season ends so it can still go either way.

Offline Gert

« Reply #286 on: August 30, 2019, 03:43:37 PM »
Tyler Skaggs's autopsy showed a mix of pain killers and alcohol and he choked on his own vomit. It sounds like his parents are trying to figure out who was associated with him that gave it to him and hired Rusty Harden. Very sad all around. I hope once his parents get through the initial grief and shock they drop this as I'm sure this will only paint Tyler in a worse light.

Offline Dandy

• Top 128 Poster
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #287 on: August 31, 2019, 12:00:12 AM »
The Reds/Cards game was rained out last night so they are making the game up this series with a doubleheader. So?  Well, they already have a doubleheader scheduled this series to make up a previously postponed game so they have two doubleheader’s this weekend.

Back on July 6/7/8 1992, The Dodgers and Expos played three doubleheaders as the previous series was postponed because of the LA riots.
Oh Dandy...you came and you gave without taking!

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #288 on: August 31, 2019, 04:00:11 AM »
Tyler Skaggs's autopsy showed a mix of pain killers and alcohol and he choked on his own vomit. It sounds like his parents are trying to figure out who was associated with him that gave it to him and hired Rusty Harden. Very sad all around. I hope once his parents get through the initial grief and shock they drop this as I'm sure this will only paint Tyler in a worse light.

From the linked article by Thrasher: "The Tarrant County (Texas) medical examiner's office listed Skaggs' cause of death as 'mixed ethanol, fentanyl, and oxycodone intoxication with terminal aspiration of gastric contents,' which essentially means Skaggs choked on his own vomit while under the influence. Skaggs, 27, died July 1 in his hotel room in Southlake, Texas. The autopsy revealed that his death was accidental."

It sounds like Skaggs was into stuff like that well before this happened, which is equally unfortunate. I get wanting to blame the supplier, no doubt, but addicts would find a fix from somebody else if this person wasn't involved. This sounds like a situation where the family doesn't want to see Tyler as an addict, making his own bad choices, so they opt to blame the person who gave him the drugs instead.

Sounds like the person under suspicion was an Angels employee.

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #289 on: August 31, 2019, 06:04:08 AM »
The Reds/Cards game was rained out last night so they are making the game up this series with a doubleheader. So?  Well, they already have a doubleheader scheduled this series to make up a previously postponed game so they have two doubleheader’s this weekend.

Back on July 6/7/8 1992, The Dodgers and Expos played three doubleheaders as the previous series was postponed because of the LA riots.
The Reds then return home for a day game Monday. The Phillies also have a game Sunday night thanks to espn. No one is incredibly pleased with the situation.

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #290 on: August 31, 2019, 06:08:45 AM »
Re: Skaggs. I think it’s a legitimate question whether many professional athletes are using painkillers due to the rigors of their profession. There could be a huge problem brewing under the surface.

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #291 on: August 31, 2019, 06:39:41 AM »
Continuing on Skaggs, I was really surprised this all came out this week.  When he first passed, his family asked for the results not be released until after the season, which made me believe it is something like this.

I can only assume that was dropped since they are now placing the blame on someone who works for the Angels.
[img width=800

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #292 on: September 01, 2019, 01:00:59 PM »
Third no hitter in Justin Verlander’s career. 13th no hitter in the history of the Houston astros. The San Diego Padres are still looking for their first.

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #293 on: September 04, 2019, 12:02:41 AM »
I noted in the minor league thread that the Syracuse Mets' bullpen coughed up thirteen runs in two innings. The big league Mets went out and gave up nine in their last two innings.

Offline Aero

« Reply #294 on: September 04, 2019, 08:33:10 AM »
I noted in the minor league thread that the Syracuse Mets' bullpen coughed up thirteen runs in two innings. The big league Mets went out and gave up nine in their last two innings.

Way late, but you knew it was officially over the second Diaz took the mound (which, granted, I think was two on, Nats down two runs, at that point). Winning this afternoon's game softens the blow, at least, though obviously the margin for error is thin going forward.

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #295 on: September 04, 2019, 12:13:19 PM »
This is what I get for wanting to see what Ozzie Canseco is up to

[img width=800

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #296 on: September 06, 2019, 04:26:09 AM »

Since this game the Cubs are 12-6, the Phillies 9-9. Sometimes one game really is just one game.

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #297 on: September 08, 2019, 03:19:56 PM »
Dombrowski just got shitcanned.  One year after a 118 win championship season too.

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #298 on: September 08, 2019, 03:32:38 PM »
He didn't build most of that team.

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #299 on: September 11, 2019, 01:45:00 AM »
Christian Yelich fouled a ball off his kneecap and he is out for the season. That's a devastating blow for the Brewers. It almost certainly cinches the MVP for Cody Bellinger as well. Yelich was having a monster season, leading the NL in slugging and OBP with 44 home runs and 30 steals in 32 attempts.

Meanwhile Pirates reliever Kyle Crick is also out for the year after fighting with fellow reliever Felipe Vazquez. The Pirates' clubhouse seems to have completely gone haywire this season and I would be stunned if Clint Hurdle still has his job in November.