Author Topic: Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker  (Read 980 times)

Description:

Offline Spaceman Spiff 🚀

• Death Pool Winner
Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker
« on: April 12, 2019, 04:38:01 AM »

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
Re: Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 04:39:09 AM »
I think everyone can figure out which two parts of the trailer made me super excited.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Joyful & Soyful

• brock lock
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 05:05:34 AM »
That looks awesome. Got chills at points. Damn.

Also, Kylo Ren giving dudes the STO

Offline Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 05:18:37 AM »
I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, REALLY hope they don't reveal Rey to be a Skywalker.

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 05:26:34 AM »
A split second of Billy Dee was enough to get me hyped.

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 07:34:31 AM »
Lando is the Skywalker yo.

Offline Joyful & Soyful

• brock lock
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 08:07:26 AM »
Lando is the Skywalker yo.

BAH GAWD IT WAS ACTUALLY TRIPLETS

Offline The Amazing Rando

• Apparently Smart?
    • Opposite Attractions
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 09:19:41 AM »
I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, REALLY hope they don't reveal Rey to be a Skywalker.

Eh, it's JJ doing this one so just like VII was a slight rehash of IV, this one will be a slight rehash of VI and Kylo (technically a Skywalker) will have a late game heel-face turn that would have probably been better set up had JJ did the middle film, too.
A Horrible Premise - Episode 48: TEN CORGIS TAPED TOGETHER - an improv comedy game show podcast about creating 'horrible' tv shows.

Opposite Attractions - a comedy design podcast where two idiots design their very own theme parks. SEASON 7 IS HERE!

Buy my novel, Accounting For Glory, now in paperback!

I made a silly Disney Parks RPG. You should check it out here!

Apparently Artistic - See my dubious attempts at making art.

Bro, Do You Even Tweet?

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 11:10:53 AM »
Well they'll either placate the morons who couldn't handle the last one being different and interesting and go back to remaking the original movies or continue trying something a bit different... BRING ON THE JAWAS AND EWOKS

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 05:19:57 AM »

Offline Sabre

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2019, 02:49:23 PM »
So rumours currently are

Spoiler: show
the Jedi and sith combine their arts aka Rey and kylo and going forward all force sensitives going forward join a new order called skywalkers. Thusly the force has finally been brought into balance.

Offline jerk of all trades

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2019, 05:23:48 AM »
Invalid Tweet ID

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2019, 08:08:11 AM »
So reviews are....mixed and even the positive reviews are more "eh, it's fine" than anything else.  Seems like they tried to please everyone and thus pleased nobody.

Online treble

• Truculence
  • Admin
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2019, 04:10:32 PM »
I liked it better than I thought I would based on the reviews.

The scenes with Leia in them are kind of distracting and there are some bits that I rolled my eyes at a bit, but not enough to drag it down too much.

Offline Cartman

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2019, 08:04:36 AM »
I really enjoyed this, alot. It's not a perfect movie or a masterpiece by any means, but it was very emotional, and very fun for me. As we left the theater, my wife and I both felt really god about it all, great experience.

• Admin
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2019, 04:51:20 PM »
I will say that the movie is good, but it could very easily have been ruined by two things that were so absurd everyone in the theater laughed at them. Fortunately the last one of those was resolved properly.

Also, this is merely good and didn't push the boundaries the way I wanted. Oh well.

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

• Admin
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2019, 06:30:33 PM »
On the subject of the trilogy as a whole, because I think the trilogy is more important than a singular movie:

I don't want to edit my review now that I posted it, but I'm bummed that we don't understand how the First Order came to power or anything like that. I never expected to learn that here in the first place, but it still sucks. What happened to the New Republic? This is something that may be addressed in a future television series, but these details should have been in the films in place of some of the scenes that we got. There was too much tunnel vision going on here and Disney is way too interested in keeping things fast paced and focused on the characters.

The prequels aren't good or anything, but their lone redeeming aspect as a whole is that Lucas is able to make the audience understand how the Empire came into being in the first place. There is a distinct lack of grand scope in these three movies. I hope when they make another film, they zoom way off into the future where some of this stuff is told as legends. I would like the next trilogy to barely be tied to this one, but the reaction to The Last Jedi probably killed that dead.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2019, 04:31:37 AM »
Also, this is merely good and didn't push the boundaries the way I wanted.

Didn't the one time they tried to push boundaries lead to unprecedented internet fuckboi backlash?

• Admin
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2019, 05:17:02 AM »
Also, this is merely good and didn't push the boundaries the way I wanted.

Didn't the one time they tried to push boundaries lead to unprecedented internet fuckboi backlash?

Yep, so it's never going to happen again. Even though obviously it should.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2019, 06:05:40 AM »
Indeed. It's one of the reasons why I've taken to saying that one of the things I love most about our generation is that we were the first to reject the idea that you have to stop liking "childish things," when you become an adult. And also, one of the things I hate most about our generation is that we were the first to reject the idea that you have to stop liking "childish things," when you become an adult.

Because, on the one hand, it's because our generation made that pivot that the MCU and Into the Spider-Verse exist, because they were created by people who grew up loving comics, and continued to love comics, and made those films as labors of love, compared to the "superhero movies" of the nineties, which were fairly clearly made by people who didn't respect the medium, and were just trying to cash in on popularity. But, on the other hand, it's also because of that pivot that unprecedented entitlement and gatekeeping started to arise around this stuff, and "The new Ghostbusters/Star Wars/whatever RUINED MY CHILDHOOD~!" has become a thing that's happened.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2019, 01:37:41 PM »
this was fine for my expectations but not a good movie. There are so many plot issues. Tons of things from the last movie are ignored (and shat on). Adding in a new annoying droid for no reason. Throwing in animals to ride on a ships hull for the lols. All the bad Abrams comedy. The Emperor using the force to raise his thousands of ships JUST high enough into the atmosphere for them to get wrecked in the big scene but not high enough to be safe. Every ship being a fucking death star. Just tons of stuff. Every scene being a fake out.

There were scenes that added emotional stakes, like Chewie dying, 3PO being memory wiped and Leia dying...but 2 of those were fakeouts and one of those was obviously going to happen. Chewie being a fakeout was especially egregious to me because it was the perfect way to show Rey was out of control and drive home to Kylo how he was losing everyone he cared about.

On the bright side the movie was fast paced and they didn't make her Luke's daughter which I expected. I liked this more than all the prequels I think and they didn't just remake a New Hope like in the first movie.

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
  • Sometimes A Friend is Worth A Billion Dollars
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2019, 10:12:33 PM »
My first instinct is I liked it a bit better than The Force Awakens but that it was a fairly big downgrade from The Last Jedi. I agree with 909 that even though this sequel trilogy is obviously better than the prequel trilogy, it lacks the grand scope. I feel like each one kind of counter acted the last one. I got to say it was really quite disappointing that this movie treated TLJ like it was The Phantom Menace. Like I know it wasn't the most popular movie but unlike Menace, most of the backlash (at least the more vocal aspects) wasn't really justified.

It wasn't really a series that had courage of its convictions. As Eddie Kingston said on Twitter, this was A MOVIE WITH NO BALLS!

I am shittalking it a lot for a movie that I actually mostly liked but that's Star Wars in the past 20 years for you. ;)

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
  • Sometimes A Friend is Worth A Billion Dollars
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2019, 11:13:18 PM »

Online AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2019, 11:36:38 PM »
I will say that the movie is good, but it could very easily have been ruined by two things that were so absurd everyone in the theater laughed at them. Fortunately the last one of those was resolved properly.

Also, this is merely good and didn't push the boundaries the way I wanted. Oh well.

Was the second laughing incident when
Rey kissed Kylo Ren?
  Yeah,  I kind of groaned at that part, too.

• Admin
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2019, 04:20:58 AM »

Was the second laughing incident when
Rey kissed Kylo Ren?
  Yeah,  I kind of groaned at that part, too.

Yeah.

Offline Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2019, 04:22:06 AM »
Lots of spillers, obv

• Admin
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2019, 05:30:26 AM »
That video said it all. I retracted what I said in the review thread because ultimately I hate this movie. I hate that they didn't run with the idea that someone can be a hero using the Force without being related to anyone already part of the story...and yeah, I hate that kind of shit.

This is the Star Wars movie where I finally realized this stuff is for kids. Whenever I think about this movie it makes no sense to me. How can the same company produce the MCU and these Star Wars movies?

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2019, 05:48:25 AM »
I don't know who made that video, and I don't care whether they have a point or not. I am psychologically incapable of taking a video seriously that uses a thumbnail like that, on purpose.

This is the Star Wars movie where I finally realized this stuff is for kids. Whenever I think about this movie it makes no sense to me. How can the same company produce the MCU and these Star Wars movies?
It took you... eleven movies, over forty years, before you accepted that this shit is for kids?

• Admin
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2019, 05:56:41 AM »
I ain’t 40 and never watched one these until The Phantom Menace was released but for the most part yeah

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2019, 06:37:50 AM »
Phantom Menace should have done it brother.

When I was in the theater and just watching this it was an enjoyable enough dumb movie but the more I THINK about it the more I dislike it. I'll still put it above the prequels because there's nothing in it that really makes me angry. The prequels actively killed my enjoyment of Star Wars and I don't think I am capable of getting angry about it anymore. Maybe if Mando ends with him taking the helmet off to reveal he's Jar Jar.

Offline Gary

• Bionic Cock
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2019, 07:16:57 AM »
So this was a movie. It's frustrating that the whole thing feels safe and predictable. The dialogue is largely terrible, Keri Russell's character was the only new one I found interesting, Kelly Marie Tran being given the short stick felt too much like placating man children who hated "The Last Jedi", it feels like the stakes aren't as high because almost everything you expect to happen happens, Oscar Isaac sometimes seems embarrassed to be there, most of the cast is trying but can't rise above a weak script and the fact that this may or may not be the end of the Skywalker saga, I couldn't help but thing "this was the best you thought you could do?" It all just feels like it's trying to please everyone, but this is a franchise that has frustratingly been proven that it can't for several reasons. Maybe they should take a hint and just leave it on TV and streaming like "The Madalorian" and those animated series. Or start a new franchise that doesn't focus on the Skywalkers.

"go ahead. keep screaming "Shut The Fuck Up " at me. it only makes my opinions Worse"

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2019, 11:30:13 AM »
They tried to do half baked ideas and ultimately failed. They wanted to carry on the Skywalker saga (which is how they started it out), but also that anyone can become a hero of the Force (allowing Rian to do what he wanted). Yet with this final movie they accomplished neither and just made Star Wars like all they are doing is cashing in on the name brand. Then again with these movies, that's entirely what I think they did, but that's neither here nor there.

I'd say Rey's Saga is worse than Anakin's Saga. There's no over arching plot or story. It is a bunch of shit that just happens and we need to go through with it. The person in charge of this as a whole really screwed the pooch here. I realize that this movie is trying to hit the undo button on 8, but frankly it not only didn't do that, but it failed so badly.

Don't get me wrong, if you like it, cool for you. I don't.

Offline jerk of all trades

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2019, 02:21:05 AM »
It would've been much cooler if Rey was just an attractive female clone of Palpatine instead of his legit granddaughter. Implanted memories and all that, basically a replicant, only existing so that he could transfer his consciousness into her once her Force powers awakened.

Offline Sabre

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2020, 12:31:04 PM »
Obvious plot point issues aside. I loved the hell outa this. 

The Sequel trilogy may not be what everyone wanted, but when the main story is about magic and laser swords who cares.