Author Topic: Fight For EVOLVE: AEW/"WWE" Head-To-Head Shows  (Read 703 times)

Description:

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
Fight For EVOLVE: AEW/"WWE" Head-To-Head Shows
« on: July 11, 2019, 06:35:07 PM »
Fight For the Fallen Card:
The Young Bucks vs. Cody & Dustin Rhodes
Kenny Omega vs. CIMA
Brandi Rhodes vs. Allie
Hangman Page vs. Kip Sabian
Chris Jericho will have a "live mic"
Pentagon Jr. & Fenix vs. Scorpio Sky & Frankie Kazarian (w/ Christopher Daniels)
The Dark Order vs. Angelico & Jack Evans vs. Luchasaurus & Jungle Boy (winning team advances to All Out for a shot at a first-round bye in AEW's Tag Team title tournament)
Jimmy Havoc, Darby Allin & Joey Janela vs. MJF, Sammy Guevara & Shawn Spears
Sonny Kiss vs. Peter Avalon (w/ Leva Bates)

Evolve 10 year Anniversary Card:
NXT Championship Match Adam Cole (c) vs. Akira Tozawa
EVOLVE Champion vs. WWN Championship — Winner Take All EVOLVE Champion Austin Theory vs. WWN Champion JD Drake
EVOLVE Tag Team Championship Match Eddie Kingston & Joe Gacy (c) vs. AR Fox & Leon Ruff with Ayla & The Skulk
Catch Point Reunion Match Matt Riddle vs. WWE Cruiserweight Champion Drew Gulak
Grudge Match No. 1 Anthony Henry vs. NXT Superstar Arturo Ruas
Grudge Match No. 2 Shotzi Blackheart vs. Brandi Lauren
Special Challenge Match NXT Superstar Babatunde vs. Colby Corino
Fatal 4-Way Match Curt Stallion vs. Sean Maluta vs. Stephen Wolf vs. Harlem Bravado
Special Attraction Match Josh Briggs vs. Anthony Greene with Brandi Lauren

Both are Saturday, FFRTF is free, Evolve's show you get with the WWE Network.

I haven't watched much Evolve since the very very early days but there's a few matches that look interesting to me, like Riddle/Gulak and I'm a HUUUUGE Tozawa fan so I'm interested in seeing if he can get something I'd enjoy out of a guy I'm not a fan of at all in Cole.

FFTF I'm sort of interested in Bucks Vs Rhodes although it seems like the biggest styles clash ever. Omega/CIMA is the only other match on there that jumps out at me as long as as CIMA is feeling it. I'd be interested in SCU Vs Pengtagon/Fenix if it was Daniels wrestling.

Hopefully it'll be a fun night of wrestling between the two and people who are into the drama of a new wrestling war will at least have something to talk about.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
Re: Fight For EVOLVE: AEW/"WWE" Head-To-Head Shows
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 07:51:53 PM »
I might watch AEW live and EVOLVE on replay, just for the ease of access.

I like both shows on paper, from what I know of modern EVOLVE, and I expect the EVOLVE/NXT show to deliver hard. But here's the thing: will Mauro be in the booth?

Offline Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 10:27:02 PM »
Cole/Tozawa and Shotzi/Brandi are the only Evolve matches that stick out to me, and AEW is giving me the Bucks/Rhodes and that weird 6-man...

AEW wins. I've never seen an Evolve show I'd be willing to sit through entirely. At least AEW is something new.

Offline oldskool

• DO IT with your female best friend ROCKAPELLA
  • CXF Writer
  • oldskool
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 02:42:44 AM »
I'm like a year and a half behind on EVOLVE but when/how/why did the fat, shitty half of the workhorsemen become WWN champion

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 04:12:31 AM »
I think I’m more interested in stuff on the EVOLVE card but I feel like I should be supporting AEW right now.  Thinking I will check out if it is a hassle to set up Bleacher Report.  If not, I watch that with Evolve presumably on the Network later.  If it is too much of a headache to set up, I’ll just do the easy thing and put Evolve on.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline Epic for the Summer

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 04:18:39 AM »
I'm going out tomorrow night so I won't watch either show live but will watch both of them on Sunday. I can just see the smiles on HHH and Vince's faces when it comes out that AEW couldn't get more views than a televised show of one of their developmental territories that is unknown to the casual fan.

I think AEW overall looks better but EVOLVE has some stuff I want to check out too.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 05:27:42 AM »

I like both shows on paper, from what I know of modern EVOLVE, and I expect the EVOLVE/NXT show to deliver hard. But here's the thing: will Mauro be in the booth?

I would hope and imagine that whoever the usual Evolve announcers are will be doing the show.

Offline THE WARREN WARRIOR

• brock lock
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 06:38:45 AM »
AEW looks pretty unappealing to me outside of the Rhodes tag. I might watch more Evolve since Riddle/Gulak should rock.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 11:14:51 AM »

I would hope and imagine that whoever the usual Evolve announcers are will be doing the show.

That better be the case. Fear of WWE influence and the Mauro marks, frankly.

Offline Big Beard Booty Daddy

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 11:24:21 AM »
Cole/Tozawa and Shotzi/Brandi are the only Evolve matches that stick out to me, and AEW is giving me the Bucks/Rhodes and that weird 6-man...

AEW wins. I've never seen an Evolve show I'd be willing to sit through entirely. At least AEW is something new.

I love Shotzi, but my big draw would be Briggs vs Anthony Greene.

I don't get the Network, so I'll be all in for AEW.

I think it's funny that they keep pushing this as a 10th anniversary show when that wouldn't be until January 2020.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline CookieMueller

• Forever blowing bubbles
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 07:42:27 PM »
I'm going to the AEW show. I wouldn't watch the EVOLVE show live regardless, but I will go back and watch the well-reviewed matches, and the Matt Riddle vs Drew Gulak match because I like both of those guys.

Offline fazzle

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2019, 12:18:33 PM »
So let me get this straight AEW.....the people who win one tag match have to face the people won another tag match, and the winner of that tag match gets a first round bye?      Winning two matches to get a bye isn't a bye.   that's having an EXTRA round.

• Laz
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2019, 01:16:15 PM »
Unless they're running the tournament in one night.

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2019, 01:26:37 PM »
I'm going to the AEW show. I wouldn't watch the EVOLVE show live regardless, but I will go back and watch the well-reviewed matches, and the Matt Riddle vs Drew Gulak match because I like both of those guys.

I was in FL all last week and was going to make the trip to J'Ville with my two buddies but every Airbnb we saw was in a shady neighborhood downtown so we just decided to come home. It's a shame but I'll catch AEW live one day I'm sure.

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2019, 01:51:18 PM »
Jim Ross is actively killing my enjoyment of this show, shitting on the company and workers constantly, and needs to be fired on the spot.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2019, 01:55:53 PM »
If JD Drake is the shitty half of of his team than the other guy must be real good because that fat boy was pretty fun. Shotzi/Lauren was messy but entertaining. Gulak/Riddle was good shit. Drake/Theory was real good. I either didn't see or thought the rest was average.

CIMA/Omega started slow but turned into a really fun match. I missed the SCU/Lucha match which I head was really good. Nothing else I saw impressed me and the Dark Order stuff continues to be really lame as a gimmick.

Neither shows weere amazing but considering the levels of talent I thought EVOLVE did great. The announcing for EVOLVE was great. JR sounds like he hated every moment of AEW so far.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2019, 03:03:58 PM »
That end segment on AEW was bad. Running out of time to do the promo and the confusion and then using the charity presentation ceremony to complain about WWE counter-programming you and putting yourselves over isn't a great look to me.

Bucks Vs Rhodes was a decent match that would have been much better but it was saddled with a poor crowd.

Offline geniusMoment

• Trailer Park Supervisor
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2019, 03:05:55 PM »
Fight for the Fallen was my least favorite of the 3 shows they've put on.  Matches were too long.  Crowd was dead by the end of it.  Starting to think this company is in real trouble when they start on TNT. 

I just don't get the sense they have the ability to put on a live weekly show with compelling storylines interwoven with matches.

Also, JR is shit.  If you want a famous announcer you really should bring on Schiavone or even Styles.   JR shouldn't be announcing anymore.
Randy!

• Admin
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2019, 03:08:43 PM »
Tried telling you guys that when people spend 100 million dollars on new players for a soccer team and the team is still complete shit that they won't do anything good with a wrestling company. They have money, but that's all they have. They have no brain for the wrestling business.

The show was like a 5/10, but the expectations were set way too high by people like Dave Meltzer. People are expecting a show better than what AEW can actually make. Brandi and Hangman being pushed into the title positions is a sick joke. If I want to watch the wife of someone get a push, I'll watch WWE. If I want to see a bland guy get a push, that's what WWE is supposed to be there for. I will say though that WWE hasn't actually pushed someone this bland in a really long time.

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline geniusMoment

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2019, 03:17:53 PM »
Also, if I'm a TNT executive and I watched this I'd be having a come to Jesus meeting with AEW tomorrow.

Having your lead announcer stumble from segment to segment, missed camera shots and a totally f'd up ending simply put isn't acceptable for a network show.  At least not one on a higher end network like TNT.

People ripped on WCW, but compare the way those early Nitros were shot and flowed from segment to segment to this mess.  I mean, come on.  ECW had a budget of about 3.50 and had better transitions.
Randy!

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2019, 03:23:04 PM »
I've been gone for 10 months and I check back in and see you guys still have the absolute shitty wrestling opinions. Peace dipshits.
I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.

• Admin
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2019, 03:26:53 PM »
I've been gone for 10 months and I check back in and see you guys still have the absolute shitty wrestling opinions. Peace dipshits.
You've never been gone, I saw you checking us out as a guest bitch. Pay attention to your kid while at shows instead of focusing on internet wrestling forum posters.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2019, 03:28:07 PM »
lol you were bitching about us to Dub the whole time you were "gone".

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2019, 03:28:42 PM »

I want to hear your take. No foolin'. Peace and love.

Offline geniusMoment

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2019, 03:36:58 PM »

Well, I gave All In, DON and Fyter Fest (minus the terrible pre show) thumbs up.  So, it isn't like I'm some WWE mark just shitting on a different product.

When I watch both the wrestling and how the show is being produced I think there are legit concerns with how this will fare on a weekly basis on a network with high standards.
Randy!

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2019, 03:39:12 PM »
Dama can't handle any criticism of things he likes no matter how mild or valid they might be. I've had plenty of positive of things to say about AEW but this is a guy who told be to jump in a giant hole and quit the board after I gave All In a C+ and wished him a good night. He's not right in the head.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2019, 04:57:48 PM »
We don’t know if the hole had a hot tub.  It could have been a gesture of goodwill.
[img width=800

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2019, 05:51:25 PM »
Tried telling you guys that when people spend 100 million dollars on new players for a soccer team and the team is still complete shit that they won't do anything good with a wrestling company. They have money, but that's all they have. They have no brain for the wrestling business.

The show was like a 5/10, but the expectations were set way too high by people like Dave Meltzer. People are expecting a show better than what AEW can actually make. Brandi and Hangman being pushed into the title positions is a sick joke. If I want to watch the wife of someone get a push, I'll watch WWE. If I want to see a bland guy get a push, that's what WWE is supposed to be there for. I will say though that WWE hasn't actually pushed someone this bland in a really long time.

He's worse than Corbin?!

---
Babatunde is the only thing I am going to watch tonight. If he is that big and Vince hasn't already thrown him into main events...

---

Heading to Twitter right now to unreasonably rage out over Dave's take on the show.

• Admin
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2019, 06:15:14 PM »
If you want size you should have watched Fale/Archer.

• Admin
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2019, 08:00:34 PM »
If you want a real alternative NJPW took a giant crap all over this AEW show. I enjoyed parts of the AEW show, but it's true.

Offline Angle-plex

• Hey....it's sexy.....
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2019, 01:22:15 AM »
Dama can't handle any criticism of things he likes no matter how mild or valid they might be. I've had plenty of positive of things to say about AEW but this is a guy who told be to jump in a giant hole and quit the board after I gave All In a C+ and wished him a good night. He's not right in the head.

People are desperate for AEW to be a success so they have a non-Japanese wrestling alternative.

Offline Slayer

• I have no lies or truth in what I say
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2019, 02:54:03 AM »
I think most of us here feel that way though.  I'm a diehard puro-head for sure but I also want good wrestling alternatives stateside as well

That being said I'm trying to remain optimistic about AEW since it is in its formative stage and remembering that I did enjoy All In and DON, buuuut the two shows from this month are really doing their best to try and counter said optimism

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2019, 03:24:54 AM »
My biggest complaints are that it went too long, Hangman sure didn’t look like a guy I’d be pushing in the first title match and my god did Cody pander to the fans.
Matt, don't be a fag. Post some huge cocks.

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2019, 03:43:03 AM »
I’m just so surprised about the bare minimum booking they are doing for Hangman. I really thought they would want him to be their first champion but they have done nothing to make him look special at all. I’m honestly baffled by that.

DTF

Offline fazzle

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2019, 04:17:46 AM »
The closer we get to All Out, the more it feels like they have to put the title on Jericho.   Hangman got one of the weakest reactions on the entire show.

Offline Angle-plex

• Hey....it's sexy.....
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2019, 04:20:27 AM »
The closer we get to All Out, the more it feels like they have to put the title on Jericho.   Hangman got one of the weakest reactions on the entire show.

The build for the title match at All Out is terrible so far. Hangman looks like a bland midcarder and Jericho is miscast as a heel. I know he likes being a heel but no one wants to boo him at this stage in his career. Might as well do a double turn with those two.

• Admin
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2019, 04:46:09 AM »

People are desperate for AEW to be a success so they have a non-Japanese wrestling alternative.

Dama is the same guy who would defend and insult people over the Michael Bay Transformers movies, so I don’t think it’s that. It’s more that he never grew up and can’t handle when other people don’t care for his favorite things.

Hangman looked like a mid carder everywhere, for what it’s worth. He couldn’t have a great match with Okada so I don’t know why a company would make him their guy.

• Laz
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2019, 05:54:36 AM »
Been saying that for years and used to get dogpiled when I did. Page has an okay look and clearly has talent but he's never done anything special, like he's stuck trying to be a modern "look at my moveset" guy instead of just being the pretty boy brawler that he was born to be.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2019, 06:06:22 AM »
They've still got time to build Page up (even if they don't have a regular TV show yet to do so) and I don't know how well the optics of "We're different from WWE!" work if their first champion is pushing 50 and is most well known from WWE.

I also laugh at the "How DARE WWE try to counter our show!" stuff like AEW wasn't using charity to build up a positive image to their fanbase and potential fanbase like almost every single company does nowadays.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2019, 06:34:05 AM »
Khans should've given that charity WAY more. Another $100k minimum. A charity should not get less than those presenting the donation on a big check. It's a good cause, not Jungle Boy. Them being all "grr counter programming" makes it look even worse on them.

AEW was a mess, and that is mostly on the shoulders of Jim Ross. I have never seen an announcer go out and actively shit on the show they're calling. It completely sank everything. Omega/CIMA and Luchas/SCU were great, but JR just would wreck it. He should be relegated to backstage stuff. Couldn't even save up for the main event.

Page is the wrong choice in every fashion considering who else is an option right now. I'd have put Pentagon in his spot.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2019, 09:23:00 AM »
[img width=800

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2019, 09:33:53 AM »
Haven't watched EVOLVE yet but I just watched FFTF and I guess I'm more kind to it than most here. I enjoyed it overall with only Allie/Brandi being the stinker for me along with the opening 6-man tag going a few minutes too long. JR's commentary burying the product was annoying but the in-ring action made up for it. I really enjoyed Lucha Bros/SCU and the triple threat tag and am really looking forward to the ladder match now.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2019, 11:16:51 AM »
Haven't watched EVOLVE yet but I just watch FTTF and I guess I'm more kind to it than most here. I enjoyed it overall with only Allie/Brandi being the stinker for me along with the opening 6-man tag going a few minutes too long. JR's commentary burying the product was annoying but the in-ring action made up for it. I really enjoyed Lucha Bros/SCU and the triple threat tag and am really looking forward to the ladder match now.

I'm with you on that. I had a lot of fun watching the show, outside of the Allie/Brandy match, which I knew was going to be bad. Kong vs Kong made up for it, though. I also thought Page vs Kip wasn't anything great, but I put that more on Kip. Kip vs Sammy wasn't very good, but Sammy looked great in the 6 man. Page has looked very good to great at times in NJPW and ROH, but the match against Kip was ok at best. If someone has 2 matches with both not being up to par, and his opponents looking good away from him, that speaks a lot about them more than his opponents.

I love how they made CIMA feel like a huge deal here. The triple threat tag match was a ton of fun, and I'm a big fan of Marko, but he didn't really need to be there.

They toned down the Librarian stuff, and that match was really good. PPA is a star and shouldn't be bogged down with that gimmick. Although it got a ton of (good) heat at the start of the show, and when he came out to break up Jericho and Page, there was a ton of "Shhhhh" from the crowd, so it's actually gotten over. If it was done the way they did it for this show, it's not horrible. I'd get rid of it, but if they're not going to, tonight was the best way to do it.

The Buy In here was the best of the 3 so far. Both matches were very solid. The women's tag got a little sloppy at parts, but Britt was wrestling most of the match with a concussion, so I'm not surprised.

The opening 6 man was great, and I thought they actually did a match where teammates hate each other very well. They didn't try to cost the match because they couldn't get along. And the commentary putting over the fact that the higher ups made this match, because they'd never team up, was a nice touch to why they were doing the match. All 6 guys got to show off, and Darby was hugely over.

SCU vs Lucha Bros was great. I like both teams, but I'm a long time Scorpio Sky fan, like 10 years deep with him, so I'm always going to root for whatever he does.

CIMA vs Omega was great. Omega worked a more ground based offense, and it was a fantastic match. The main event was great, and I loved the Bucks heeling it up during the match. In matches like this, fans need to be able to invest and root for someone, and they know that Dustin is a huge fan favorite, so they let him get the cheers. It was a smart move.

Jericho should be the first champion, and will be. Page as a first opponent is fine. He should be at the top of the mid card for a year or 2, but Jericho is the star and should walk around with the belt until it's time for Jericho vs Omega 3. Page should work with MJF after this, and Kenny's chase of the title should be the big deal.

Offline oldskool

• DO IT with your female best friend ROCKAPELLA
  • CXF Writer
  • oldskool
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2019, 01:37:02 PM »
AEW was.....it was a show. Nothing was objectively bad but there wasn't anything must-watch. JR needs to go, let Excalibur and Marvez have a shot at a two-man booth.

Offline CookieMueller

• Forever blowing bubbles
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2019, 04:42:57 PM »
I was at FFTF and whatever it came across like (I haven't watched it back), it was possibly the best wrestling show I've ever been to and I've been going since the mid-90s. It just had an awesome energy (the crowd was hot but I do agree they were TIRED by the end - the show was entirely too long) and the matches were exciting live. The Adam Page match shoulda been cut in half, they coulda condensed the two Jericho segments into one big thing, most of the matches coulda used a little time chopped off, the main event had no business going 30 mins, the ending seemed like it wasn't supposed to be televised. But I loved the venue and hope they come back.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2019, 08:18:50 PM »
I was at FFTF and whatever it came across like (I haven't watched it back), it was possibly the best wrestling show I've ever been to and I've been going since the mid-90s. It just had an awesome energy (the crowd was hot but I do agree they were TIRED by the end - the show was entirely too long) and the matches were exciting live. The Adam Page match shoulda been cut in half, they coulda condensed the two Jericho segments into one big thing, most of the matches coulda used a little time chopped off, the main event had no business going 30 mins, the ending seemed like it wasn't supposed to be televised. But I loved the venue and hope they come back.

The venue has a great, unique look to it. I love that each show looked and felt different than the others ones. All three stood out. I'd love to see them use this location for TV.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2019, 03:27:53 AM »
In terms of a competing head to head, I ended up watching AEW live and then watched Evolve right after. Generally, like most said, I felt like the AEW show could have used some time cut for sure. I'd say at least the main and the Page match could have lost ten minutes and I would have been fine with it. There was some certain dragging points because of those matches going so long. I still enjoyed the show but it wasn't as standout with particular bouts and moments/angles of importance like the previous 2 AEW shows had. If the show overall would have been at least 30 minutes cut, if not more, I think I would have enjoyed it much more. Production wise though, wow.....great look and feel of that venue. If AEW ever needed or wanted to do a homebase for the television, this would be absolutely ideal to consider this venue down the road for that.

Evolve was, to me, an overall better show and flowed more freely. This kind of surprised me in some ways. I hadn't seen an Evolve show for years so this was a refreshing and exciting show in both presentation (can thank WWE for that) and the energy of the ECW arena crowd made it even more unique, although the AEW crowd and venue certainly made their own show super unique too. There probably was better consistent quality work from the AEW show (The Evolve show had a few stinker of matches but they were kept shorter) but the Evolve show had matches that stood out more as a variety show of sorts, as you had a really physical women's HC match which harkened to the glory days of ECW, and then two main title matches that really delivered. Also, the whole presentation of Gulak/Riddle and the story behind it was tremendous. Because of that, I'd have to go with Evolve for the nod.

I'd say best match of either show was Gulak-Riddle, but Omega/Cima or Lucha Bros/SCU may be right under that.

• Admin
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2019, 06:38:30 AM »
I didn't really mind the length of the AEW show. I'm used to watching the full UFC shows + prelims + very early prelims, so that doesn't matter much to me. I did very much struggle with the first four matches (counting pre-show). I thought Shawn Spears and MJF were the highlight of that portion of the show, but I also think that if Shawn Spears is such an important part of the program that the show is going to have some issues as a whole. He was also much bigger than almost everyone in that match, which is rather strange. He isn't a very big guy.

Then they get to the triple threat tag, which I did like quite a bit even though Jim Ross was shitting on it the whole time. I don't care for Dark Order at all, but I will defend Luchasaurus and Jungle Boy to anyone. This is when Jim started to become very annoying because he clearly hates wrestling these days and cannot hide his contempt for it. To some extent his commentary ruined the rest of the show for me. Where I did feel some issues with time were with Hangman, because I can't stand him and he was working for 20 minutes in front of a crowd that also didn't care very much for him. Everything after that point was good.

This is only the third show, but there now feels to be a distinct tier where I have a harder time enjoying things on the card before they get to certain acts. I also still really don't see how this is an alternative to WWE because in many respects it is very much like WWE. It feels like a company trying to do WWE things better than them, and that's alright, but I find myself easily judging them as harshly as WWE because of that. The Brandi and Hangman pushes are also disheartening to put it kindly, the Hangman one much more so. I think Bobby Roode has more charisma, and Hangman is a slightly better worker, but pushing him like this leaves me with the same rotten feeling I got when Bobby was pushed in NXT and I couldn't handle that either. That was around the time I stopped watching NXT on a weekly basis.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2019, 09:38:12 AM »
More should be said about the closed captioning deciding to turn itself on for several minutes and taking over most of the screen (and multiplying itself). That was just awful. I can forgive them messing up the timing of the end of the show speech (the actual content I already addressed) but that was bad and it happened across multiple platforms. I know it isn't the AEW people specifically at fault there but it's the people that are doing their shows.