Author Topic: All Elite Wrestling V2  (Read 9193 times)

Description:

Offline Kamala For Kamala Harris

• CXF Writer
Re: All Elite Wrestling V2
« Reply #500 on: October 10, 2019, 08:22:13 AM »
3.  Add some sex appeal.  Not saying you gotta do gimmick women's matches.  But, you're TV14, give a couple of the guys hot valets.

Overall, I think they'll grow over the coming weeks as opposed to falling below a million.
Didn't AEW sign Janela's valet Penelope Ford? She's p. hot and also a promising enough worker but I'd put more in valet category.

Well, I guess now that I think about it Janela wasn't on either of the first two episodes either.

(Very minor thing that might even constitute spoiler that might not even need tags but I will do it just cause I don't want to get yelled at)

Spoiler: show
Janela does wrestle Kenny Omega in a street fight in the main event of Episode 2 of AEW Dark though.

Which kind of seems like a waste since that seems borderline Dynamite main event level match

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #501 on: October 10, 2019, 08:43:23 AM »
I've put some thot into the sex appeal thing, and I think they could use some sex. Like of they can scour the indies and find a Sunny type, that'd be fine. Get some of the AAA girls. Their presence, while absolutely not necessary (I'd prefer if they go the sex route, it's focused on decent performers for the women's division), would be nice, kind of. Cody is clearly a fan of an era where valets were a big deal, so it's logical.

I'm watching the show later, but I'm very happy it got the ratings it should. It's so weird knowing an actual alternative is happening. That being said can they make Dark into a recognized show? Like are they able to make it kind of exclusive online B, B+ show to promote and get ad revenue from?

• CXF Writer
« Reply #502 on: October 10, 2019, 08:48:43 AM »
Tbh, I'd kind of like it if they aired AEW Dark in the 1 AM on Sunday Morning/Saturday Night timeslot that they currently have for an AEW Dynamite (in addition to having it on YouTube) replay on TNT. They could play up the too hot for primetime angle and go for a bit of an ECW vibe. I wouldn't go harder than TV 14 but you could certainly play it up as more risqué than the A show.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #503 on: October 10, 2019, 09:01:53 AM »
Yeah, just say "exclusive content you won't see on Dynamite!" with a shot of Brandi winking at the camera and Janela or Darby killing themselves for no reason. Do a recap show, show some of the YT vignettes, show a match or two. At the very least it would be a nice way for people to get some promo practice in and to use for their (when it happens) midcard title.

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #504 on: October 10, 2019, 09:02:35 AM »
I'm watching the show later, but I'm very happy it got the ratings it should. It's so weird knowing an actual alternative is happening. That being said can they make Dark into a recognized show? Like are they able to make it kind of exclusive online B, B+ show to promote and get ad revenue from?

Can't wait to read your thoughts on the end of the show.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #505 on: October 10, 2019, 10:37:32 AM »
Overall, I think they'll grow over the coming weeks as opposed to falling below a million.

I'd be very surprised.  The pattern for 99% of television shows is that they debut big and then drop every week.  It is extremely rare for anything to grow their audience anymore.  Especially in today's television environment where more and more people are cancelling cable every day so the overall universe just keeps getting smaller.

This has nothing to do with AEW.  It is just how the television industry works.

Offline New-New-New England Order

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #506 on: October 10, 2019, 10:50:06 AM »
Constantly drawing a million viewers with a high rating in the right demos is a major victory for them.  I think they already have established themselves as the #2 promotion in the US but still I want to see what they do once the "new toy" feeling wears off with the fans and they settle into a routine.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #507 on: October 10, 2019, 10:53:06 AM »
Yeah. I'm curious to see how AEW plays when they go to places like Charleston, WV and Garland, TX (and what kinds of crowds they'll draw).

It's one thing to work crowds into a tizzy in Chicago, Boston, and Philly but want to see how AEW plays in 'MURICA.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #508 on: October 10, 2019, 10:57:13 AM »
Constantly drawing a million viewers with a high rating in the right demos is a major victory for them.  I think they already have established themselves as the #2 promotion in the US but still I want to see what they do once the "new toy" feeling wears off with the fans and they settle into a routine.

I'm not denying that they have been a major success.  I'm just saying not to expect the ratings to go up over time.

Offline geniusMoment

• Trailer Park Supervisor
« Reply #509 on: October 10, 2019, 11:56:54 AM »
One thing I think they could do is promote a HUGE show on TNT in a few months.  I mean like a PPV caliber show.  Picture the old Clash of Champions on steriods.  Put it on whatever night you think is best.  Try and draw in a huge audience for that night, and hope a few hundred thousand stick around for their regular show on Wednesday.

Sure, you lose some revenue in ppv buys, but your goal should be trying to gain viewers and audience this year.  So, basically promoting a PPV for 2 months and putting it on TNT would be one way to gain eyes.  I would also have it from a unique location, not just a standard arena.
Randy!

Offline geniusMoment

« Reply #510 on: October 10, 2019, 12:10:37 PM »
Some minor ratings news:

This week's AEW Dynamite episode drew approximately 150,000 viewers on TSN2 in Canada, according to John Pollock on Twitter.

This would be up 38% from the reported 109,000 viewers that Dynamite drew in Canada for last week's premiere episode.  This is considered a very strong number.
Randy!

• Admin
« Reply #511 on: October 10, 2019, 02:13:46 PM »
One thing I think they could do is promote a HUGE show on TNT in a few months.  I mean like a PPV caliber show.  Picture the old Clash of Champions on steriods.  Put it on whatever night you think is best.  Try and draw in a huge audience for that night, and hope a few hundred thousand stick around for their regular show on Wednesday.

Sure, you lose some revenue in ppv buys, but your goal should be trying to gain viewers and audience this year.  So, basically promoting a PPV for 2 months and putting it on TNT would be one way to gain eyes.  I would also have it from a unique location, not just a standard arena.

They're running Chicago the same week as a Takeover. That's gonna be it.

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline CookieMueller

• Forever blowing bubbles
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #512 on: October 10, 2019, 02:45:21 PM »
I've already read that Cody wanted to do a War Games style match for that Chicago TNT show. The most recent Dynamite was kind of pointing towards a 5-on-5 match of some sort in the near future so that could be the case. Since they're not doing a PPV every month they can afford to build some of the marquee TNT shows as mini-PPVs.

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #513 on: October 10, 2019, 03:28:49 PM »
Cody just LOOKS like a star, now. Young Cody Rhodes was the spitting image of a default CAW from No Mercy era video games. I'm so happy for his success in his career.

Both weeks have been enjoyable.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #514 on: October 10, 2019, 11:57:19 PM »
In regards to them needing to improve music I 100% agree. Jericho has an A+ song and I really like Cody's too, but the rest are awful and extremely generic IMO.
Show loose women what I'm workin' with.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #515 on: October 11, 2019, 02:04:48 AM »
In regards to them needing to improve music I 100% agree. Jericho has an A+ song and I really like Cody's too, but the rest are awful and extremely generic IMO.

With that said, I kinda dig the Dynamite theme....its catchy as hell

But I agree, some of the music is pretty blah.

I'm tentatively planning on doing the NXT/AEW War Games shows in Chicago since they are so close to each other (this is assuming they do War Games for both events). Probably will do all four WWE shows and then just stay in Chicago for that Weds after since I have off work that week anyway.

Since I went to Vegas and Chicago this year for AEW already, this one is a no brainer. Always wanted to see War Games live and it looks like I might get a double bill of it hopefully!

Offline Tino Standard

« Reply #516 on: October 11, 2019, 02:48:17 AM »
Entrance music needs a quick, instantly recognizable hook to maximize that crowd pop. WWE sometimes goes too far with this (does ‘2001’ really NEED Ric Flair yelling “Wooo!”?), but it certainly helps when done right.

All of this is mostly a nitpick, though. Generally speaking, I love what AEW is doing. Two weeks in, and it has been exactly what I have been looking for in a weekly wrestling show.

Offline Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #517 on: October 11, 2019, 03:12:55 AM »
I wouldn't be at all surprised if AEW starts perusing Soundcloud or Bandcamp and finding artists to make deals with.

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
« Reply #518 on: October 11, 2019, 04:36:37 AM »
AEW needs better sound mixing. Everyone's themes sounds muffled with the crowd noise and the announcers. Whereas in WWE, it always sounds super clear.

Great show overall. I'm as down on AEW as anyone on this board, but I thought the opening tag match, the Jericho promo, and the final angle were all killer. The women's division continues to disappoint, but maybe they'll figure that out.

• Admin
« Reply #519 on: October 11, 2019, 09:04:51 AM »

Hope I get home by 5 this week.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #520 on: October 11, 2019, 11:29:01 AM »

Jericho's song "Judas" is the title track from the last FOZZY album.  That's him singing

Offline CookieMueller

• Forever blowing bubbles
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #521 on: October 11, 2019, 01:26:54 PM »
AEW needs better sound mixing. Everyone's themes sounds muffled with the crowd noise and the announcers. Whereas in WWE, it always sounds super clear.

I was gonna say this. Live I found myself nodding my head to a lot of the themes but on TV you can barely even hear them. They need to figure that shit out.  Not saying they have WWE quality themes across the board but quite a few of them serve their purpose.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #522 on: October 11, 2019, 03:43:03 PM »
Can't wait to read your thoughts on the end of the show.

I dug it all. They elevated everyone who came out there. I'm probably never going to be a Darby fan, but I like seeing the rocket strapped to him because he deserves a big spot. The tease of Hangman vs Swags doesn't bother me in the slightest because I think it would be a pretty solid match.

I don't know what they see in Sammy, but I'm fucking happy he's getting this push. MJF, Darby, and Sammy getting this chance to be new era stars is wonderful. Darby skateboarding in like a total twat made him in the eyes of many, I'm sure. He really is the new Jeff Hardy, and he and Jericho next week will be something else. I really want a Dustin/Sammy program now, too.

Omega is a joke and I'm not sure what the endgame is. Dude needs Tully.

Didn't like the Bucks match at all because I fucking hate the Bucks. Just way too orchestrated. Private Party going over was the right call, but I think they also got pretty exposed.

Jericho might be the greatest ever, all told, and I would be fine with that because he feels more like a top guy than ever before.

Mox is the long term answer. Never will get swayed from that.

This was the first time in a long fucking time that I've watched a wrestling show on TV. A wrestling show, not a show that happens to have wrestling on it. They're going in the right direction, and they need a LOT of tweaks and changes in production (get that fake Kevin Dunn bullshit outta here). And, just because you always gotta say it, they need better music. Gotta make a play for Jimmy Hart when the time comes.

The only thing that needs addressing right now is JR's shitty announcing because while it's leveled out so far, he's added nothing to the show. That booth clashes badly

• CXF Writer
« Reply #523 on: October 11, 2019, 10:54:47 PM »

Jericho's song "Judas" is the title track from the last FOZZY album.  That's him singing
Lowkey, my favorite part of last week's show was the audience singing along to "Judas" during Jericho's first entrance. can't wait until Andrew Yang is elected POTUS and he replaces the traditional "Hail to the Chief" with that song.

I'M BECOME BECOME BECOMING I'M BECOME BECOME BECOMMINNNNGG JUDAS IN MY MIND!

Offline geniusMoment

« Reply #524 on: October 12, 2019, 03:20:57 AM »
This has a chance to be epic or a total disaster:

Randy!

• CXF Writer
« Reply #525 on: October 12, 2019, 04:21:12 AM »
Uh...ok but why!?

• Admin
« Reply #526 on: October 12, 2019, 04:40:03 AM »
I assume because JR can't do that long of a taping every week. Last week he could barely talk during the last match of AEW Dark.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #527 on: October 12, 2019, 05:12:05 AM »
But why Tazz!?

(Really why anyone on that commentary team? Except for Schiavone, who is surprisingly crushing it)

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • All hail Gritty!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
« Reply #528 on: October 12, 2019, 07:18:34 AM »
But why Tazz!?

They're in Philly. Speaking of which, bring back Joey Styles.
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #529 on: October 12, 2019, 07:19:02 AM »
joey styles was an awful commentator tbh. He's also a nutcase

Offline Fall of Epic

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #530 on: October 12, 2019, 07:37:34 AM »
Styles is an Alex Jones-like right-wing lunatic. As big as a fan I was, I'm kinda ok with him not being in wrestling for now. I always wonder if he was always like this or just developed that in the past few years.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #531 on: October 12, 2019, 08:28:59 AM »
This has a chance to be epic or a total disaster:

It's been talked about for a while now.  All the AEW talent is going to be on the boat, might as well, even if it has to be on a bit of a tape delay.  They live streamed IPPV from the cruise last year, with TNT and Kahn's $ they can do it. 

It would clearly top anything out of the box WCW ever did, aside from maybe King of the Road? 

Fuck, that just gave me a great idea!  AEW needs to have Dustin redeem the King of the Road gimmick at some point!  Bring in Darsow to coach up his opponent!

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #532 on: October 12, 2019, 09:40:22 AM »
You could do so much worse than Taz.

If they're doing Dark, I wouldn't mind them getting a b-team in the booth, anyway.

• Laz
« Reply #533 on: October 12, 2019, 11:18:03 AM »
I formally request Scott Hudson. Underrated as hell.

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #534 on: October 12, 2019, 11:30:27 AM »
You could do so much worse than Taz.

Like Mark Madden and Vampiro.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #535 on: October 12, 2019, 11:43:28 AM »
Dude Vampiro ruled.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #536 on: October 12, 2019, 12:09:01 PM »
They should go market specific

WWE HOF'ER STEVIE RAY in Houston

TRTSM's OWN KAMALA in PORTLAND, ME

• CXF Writer
« Reply #537 on: October 12, 2019, 01:21:26 PM »
Styles is an Alex Jones-like right-wing lunatic. As big as a fan I was, I'm kinda ok with him not being in wrestling for now. I always wonder if he was always like this or just developed that in the past few years.
I've watched old ECW shows where Styles works in potshots on Hillary Clinton so yeah, I think he's always been a right wing nut but he was just more subtle about it before Obama.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #538 on: October 12, 2019, 03:34:56 PM »
Dude got blackballed for a "grab her by the pussy" joke about a female ring announcer. Gabe fired him immediately.

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #539 on: October 15, 2019, 02:07:23 AM »
Considering that AEW is starting off with more money than WWE (which spent 30 years to build up to this point), being that the Kahn family is worth more than the McMahon's... I'd say they're probably okay throwing $25M at a game that will probably review and sell fairly well.

It's not like they're investing into a company that has no idea what they're doing, they're investing in a company that specialized in wrestling games for many years and have the engine that is often considered the pinnacle of wrestling games.

That's how business works. I spend $25 million on a game and only make $5 million.

Reddit's so dumb sometimes.

Offline New-New-New England Order

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #540 on: October 15, 2019, 02:27:27 AM »
The Khans will piss away their wealth just to stick it to the McMahons!  Cost-Benefit analysis?  What's that, some late-stage capitalism crap?

• CXF Writer
« Reply #541 on: October 15, 2019, 06:20:31 AM »
"Cleaner I Got This" should be the subtitle for the next AEW thread.

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
« Reply #542 on: October 15, 2019, 07:41:52 AM »

Big fan.

• Laz
« Reply #543 on: October 15, 2019, 08:08:09 AM »
I just hope they keep it going and don't drop it like most promotions have in the past 10-15 years.

Offline Dave Meltzer

• New Poster Who Should Be Posting
  • New Poster Who'll Post A Lot
« Reply #544 on: October 15, 2019, 12:03:25 PM »
I can't believe the people at Turner were considering preempting the show last week for boring ass shitty baseball.  What kind of bubble are those people living in?

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #545 on: October 15, 2019, 12:10:50 PM »
I can't believe the people at Turner were considering preempting the show last week for boring ass shitty baseball.  What kind of bubble are those people living in?

Dave they play baseball in the Tokyo Dome. Japan loves baseball.

Offline Fall of Epic

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #546 on: Today at 02:53:36 AM »
Greatly enjoyed Dark this week. Omega/Janela was awesome and Evans/Angelico won a match!!!

• Laz
« Reply #547 on: Today at 03:35:33 AM »
Also enjoyed Dark, but Omega/Janela was FF material for me. Janela's gotten better but Omega blah blah blah...