Author Topic: 2019 NFL Week 1: Pats Raise a Banner, Air Raid Sirens, and AB's War Against All  (Read 1442 times)

Description:

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
As noted in the other thread, Antonio Brown expressed his displeasure at being fined for unexcused absences. AB gonna just go HAM on everybody, rogue boss like.

Relive this classic Bears/Packers intro and GET HYPED!

For those interested, NFL Network is airing the Do Your Job 3 and America's Game specials tonight.

Offline Kotzenjunge

• looptid
  • Kotzenjunge
    • A site I wrote.
This damn hurricane coming keeps making me forget that the season starts TOMORROW and it opens with FUCKIN' PACKERS/BEARS. Even my father considers that "real teams," unlike last year's Falcons/Eagles opener.

(I don't expect a good night for Green Bay but who knows)

Offline New-New-New England Order

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
https://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2019-new-england-patriots-1837655566

Disappointing.  He blew his rage load on the Rams yesterday it seems.

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK

Playoff team.

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
Yeah, that went south quickly.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

• Admin
He’s like Kenny Powers

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Kahran Ramsus

Apparently if they suspend him it voids his guarantees.

EDIT:  Well, all but $1 million anyways.  Close enough.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

Question for 909 since he's the Raiders guy in here:

If the Brown vs. Mayock situation can't be salvaged, which one of the two do you personally think will be out the door?

• Admin
Brown. You have to get rid of the guy who pulls a Kenny Powers and goes..

AB: "YOU'RE FINING ME 50K FOR NOT SHOWING UP TO PRACTICE???"
MM: yeah
AB: "FUCK YOU BRO YOU'RE FINING ME 50K WHY DON'T YOU JUST TAKE ALL 30 MILLION" *threatens to punch Mayock*

Antonio Brown is also the kind of player that can win 4 or 5 games by himself, so that sucks...but this isn't going well.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
How bad of a meeting did it have to be that Antonio Brown outright threatened to punch Mike Mayock in the face.

Also AB reportedly kicked a football away and yelled at Mayock to fine him for that. LOL.

Offline Cartman

It's pretty clear that Brown needs help, he's not mentally stable.

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
You know, I wonder if Mayock originally told Brown he wasn't going to do anything originally, changed course and that's what made Brown go full rage mode.

Sure, more like Brown is insane, but if I was originally told "hey, we're not doing anything" to "we're going to fine you now", I would be probably about as animated as him.

Though considering now a few people I've seen are suggesting that he's never playing for the Raiders... Dude's probably needing help.

Offline The Art of Rasslin'

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
damn threatened to punch him in the face? That's pretty serious. not that you should threaten anyone, but it feels worse if you're a young super athlete doing it against an old guy.

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

Offline The Art of Rasslin'

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

Offline Kotzenjunge

• looptid
  • Kotzenjunge
    • A site I wrote.
😄😄😄

Offline Saints_Fan_H

I love football.

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
Vontaze sez people only should be punched and concussed ON THE FIELD, GODDAMNIT!

Offline THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
@alfdogg765 on Twitter FOLLOW ME

Offline Kahran Ramsus

An update from Pro Football Talk after seeing his contract corrects this and confirms that the Raiders could potentially owe him nothing if they get rid of him.

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
C'mon, go all the way and make the players wear period authentic uniforms too.  I wanted to see at least three deaths on the field tonight.

• Admin

An update from Pro Football Talk after seeing his contract corrects this and confirms that the Raiders could potentially owe him nothing if they get rid of him.

I think he will either miss Monday's game or be suspended for a series.

Then, as long as he gets 10 targets a game, he will continue to play without anything dumb happening again. First time he doesn't there will be an outburst and he'll be gone.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

Wow the Packers look fugly so far.

• Admin
The Packers offense looks very poorly coached. Some horrible choices in formation to start this game off.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

This game is making a good case for playing starters (at least on offense) in the pre-season.  Chicago hasn't exactly been great on offense either.

• Admin
They just need one game where they play three quarters.

Offline The Amazing Rando

• Apparently Smart?
    • Opposite Attractions
I'm sure Jordy Nelson is a hell of a guy and was a good player, but I'm not sure I'd go as far as that little ad break in referring to him as "NFL Legend Jordy Nelson"
A Horrible Premise - Episode 48: TEN CORGIS TAPED TOGETHER - an improv comedy game show podcast about creating 'horrible' tv shows.

Opposite Attractions - a comedy design podcast where two idiots design their very own theme parks. SEASON 7 IS HERE!

I made a silly Disney Parks RPG. You should check it out here!

Apparently Artistic - See my dubious attempts at making art.

Bro, Do You Even Tweet?

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
Woof.  The Super Bowl was a better game than this.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

A win is a win!  And maybe our defense will actually be good this year.  It has been a long time since the Packers were carried by the D.

Offline Saints_Fan_H

That's almost a 1919 era score.

At least it wasn't 3-0 or 2-0.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

That's almost a 1919 era score.

At least it wasn't 3-0 or 2-0.

Fun Fact:  There were fewer points scored tonight (13) than the first ever Packers/Bears game in 1921 (20).

• Admin
I thought the Packers would win tonight, as evidenced by some posts I made in the chat that I didn't make here. Their defense has been improved massively. They did overpay for a lot of the players they added, but the team had to make improvements and that money isn't precluding them from putting together a good team.

The Bears did something I was thinking they wouldn't be dumb enough to do, but I forgot that coaches don't always trust rookies in the first weeks of the season. So, they benched Montgomery and they definitely paid for it. Trubisky also has major issues as a QB. I know some experts pointed to his completion percentage as proof of quality, but I don't think that's true in the least. He also refuses to throw to anyone other than his favored receiver. On top of that, you have Patterson put in as an RB on 3rd and short, Cohen getting targets as a WR instead of Anthony Miller, and I question whether or not the coach has any clue what they're doing. Coaches need to wise up when it comes to the way they overuse quick running backs. Almost all of those running backs are not better than your goddamn wide receivers. If they were, they would play wide receiver and they'd be able to catch the ball down the field in traffic. But they can't. The number of rushing attempts the Bears had was also a joke.

Offline Krankor

• Krankor
I turned the game off and went to bed right after half time when on 3rd & 10 they threw a short dump off pass to Mike Davis at the side line. That's shades of shitty Bears offense and quarterbacking of the past. Not watching that shit. Offense looked rusty as fuck because they played no one in preseason. Use some guys in preseason or lose regular season games.

Offline Kotzenjunge

• looptid
  • Kotzenjunge
    • A site I wrote.
I think Nagy's going to prove too clever for his own good. Their first offensive snap was needless razzle dazzle that nearly took the nuclear home crowd out of it immediately. Instead the Bears murdered their fans like they enjoyed doing it, slowly, surgically, making sure the wails and cries of pain escalated just right while balancing it out with a defense that kept giving hope until there was none left.

It's a new day, yes it is!

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
Bears tried to get cute and used Mike Davis a ton (5 carries, 6 catches) rather than leaning on Montgomery. Didn't even bother to give Cohen any carries and Trubisky refused to really go downfield against Green Bay.

Still not sold on the Packers OL overhaul though. Allowed 5 Sacks (to be fair, it's a very nasty Bears defense) but Rodgers looked like he was struggling for most of the game and as usual, the running game did next to nothing.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

It doesn't sound like Brown is getting much support in the lockerroom according to David Carr.

• Admin
It doesn't sound like Brown is getting much support in the lockerroom according to David Carr.

This has to be really distracting.

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • All hail Gritty!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
The Bears don't need touchdowns to win; just field goals.
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

• Admin
Brown is playing Monday.

Offline Kotzenjunge

• looptid
  • Kotzenjunge
    • A site I wrote.
If he doesn't get targeted eight times or more, despite barely having any reps in the offense, there'll be another meltdown.

Before the season I thought the Browns and Raiders were the "big overhaul teams" worth watching but for entirely different reasons. I've had zero optimism about Oakland (sadly) since Gruden came back. Shame, I like when the Raiders are good.

• Admin
I think he'll be targeted at least ten times. He's practiced every day except one since his foot healed. The greater concern is that the Raiders starters only took one series in the second preseason game, didn't play a snap besides that.

Offline Kotzenjunge

• looptid
  • Kotzenjunge
    • A site I wrote.
Media reports are typical for no white grievances: "disparaging language" was being used in the argument. Let's not say "cracker."

• Admin

Oh man, this season is gonna be hilarious.

Before the season I thought the Browns and Raiders were the "big overhaul teams" worth watching but for entirely different reasons. I've had zero optimism about Oakland (sadly) since Gruden came back. Shame, I like when the Raiders are good.

I wouldn't say that. The team is very well coached on offense. Gruden knows what he's doing. However, last season, they had basically no talent on offense. Jordy Nelson was completely washed up, and one of their best receivers is currently on the practice squad. They also had the duo of Marshawn Lynch and Doug Martin, both of whom were washed up and slow. I think they were trying to tank and did pretty well at it. Even with the team being so low on talent on offense, towards the end of the season things clicked with Carr and he was playing well. It still wasn't easy because of a talent deficiency. Now they have Josh Jacobs, Antonio Brown, Tyrell Williams, Hunter Renfrow, Darren Waller...to say nothing of Trent Brown and Richie Incognito replacing offensive linemen who could barely perform...their offense should be good.

Now, the unit he doesn't coach is the defense, and other than the secondary they're not so good. The secondary should be very strong though.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

Brown is playing Monday.

Mayock should resign.

• Admin
Brown is playing Monday.

Mayock should resign.

I understand why people think this, but I need to break down why this wouldn't happen. If push comes to shove, Brown has to leave the team, but I didn't think this would be a situation where that was the case.

1. Most importantly, Mike Mayock and Jon Gruden created this mess. They wanted to improve the team quickly and shipped over some shitty picks for a troublesome 1500 yard receiver. They knew something like this would happen and made the decision from the start that they could handle it. You cannot run away from your mess and hope to ever get a job in an NFL front office again.

2. Brown is far from the only troublesome guy on the team now. Mayock and Gruden also decided to give contracts to Incognito and Burfict. They made the decision that winning was more important than everything else. The same decision the Chiefs made today when they gave a new contract to a child abuser.

3. They shouldn't have fined him on September 4th for something that happened on August 18th. That shit should have been put to bed as soon as he came back to practice every day, which he did. I can't believe that would ever be brought back up and it shows extreme incompetence.

4. At the end of the day, they can't suspend him because that shit can backfire on them in multiple ways. He would unquestionably argue that the fine was unjust because of his helmet grievance and foot injury. If an arbitrator decides that the Raiders didn't have grounds to suspend him, they're stuck paying him and never had him on the football field. If they suspend him, they draw the line again that they're willing to have a poor season in the name of behavior. They signed a lot of players who wanted to win, and they have no chance to have a winning season without Antonio Brown. This guy is the difference between a team going 6-10 and 10-6. There are a handful of players at best who have his impact on the game.

5. They could have cut him, but you see people salivating over the idea that he plays for the Patriots or something like that, and that sounds like a stupid ass plan to me. If any of the 31 teams would take the guy on their team, it's hard to kick him off your own team. Suspending him for more than a quarter was not an option.

At the end of the day, this is a league where Michael Irvin tried to kill his teammate with scissors, where Steve Smith injured his teammates in practice multiple times, where Bill Romanowski ended a teammates career in a fit of roid rage, and where Charles Haley beat off in front of his teammates and put his dick on them. All those players still won a lot. Antonio Brown is definitely mentally ill and needs treatment, but that could be said for a lot of NFL players.

You also have to understand that Brown has had a bad example set for him...

There is some amount of deprogramming required for Brown, if that's even possible at this point. He needs to grow up, but on the scale of bad behavior by NFL players, this barely even rates on the scale. The greater issue is that this is the only sport where players have these problems and it's clearly related to brain trauma. As soon as he gets 100 yards on Monday, which he will, and if the Raiders win because of that, everyone in the Raiders front office will be happy. But, if Mayock wants to work in the NFL again, he shouldn't resign. He waited a very long time for this chance and made the decision that he wanted Antonio Brown on the team, knowing what that meant.

My personal feeling is that I want the team to win, but I don't want anyone like Richie Incognito on the team. Antonio Brown ain't even half that bad, so I can deal with it.

Offline Kotzenjunge

• looptid
  • Kotzenjunge
    • A site I wrote.
The audio in that YouTube video of the phone call between player and coach, even if it's edited to paint AB in the most positive light, is yet another self-inflicted wound. Gruden sounds exhausted by it all.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
Gruden sounds exhausted by it all.

909 pointed it out to me in chat but Gruden already dealt with that type of shit with Keyshawn Johnson in Tampa Bay prior to his run in Dallas. Fun Fact: Bill Belichick also dealt with that with Terry Glenn prior to his run in Dallas.

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
Josh Allen looked like a competent QB for, oh, five minutes.  Then he turned it over twice including a pick-6.

Offline Aero

Biggest takeaway on Allen right now is that he needs to learn to slide. Seems like he's getting hit every other play.

Also, through three offensive possessions, the Bills have yet to call a designed run play. Trying to attack the Jets' poor secondary, but surprising, nonetheless.

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
Dolphins getting spanked 28-0 I understand.  Washington being up 17-0 on Philly is a surprise.