Author Topic: Stumptown  (Read 84 times)

Description: Aka The Cobie Smulders Show

Offline New-New-New England Order

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
Stumptown
« on: September 26, 2019, 03:03:22 AM »
The pilot aired last night and I REALLY liked it.  Obviously Smulders is the star (and this role is absolutely perfect for her), but they've built a nice supporting cast around her, including her brother (who has Downs, but it is handled incredibly well).  The writing is pretty good and they actually get some good mileage out of the gag of her shitty car's tape deck having a mixtape stuck in it, leading to some fun uses of the soundtrack.

This might be the first network show in years I actually pay attention to every week.

Offline New-New-New England Order

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
Re: Stumptown
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 04:21:50 AM »
I don't care if I'm the only one watching, this show rules.  Even Dex's magic tape deck hasn't gotten old.  They're doing a good job mixing a "Case of the week" format with developing a bigger overall story with Dex's struggles with PTSD (I can't think of many shows that have addressed PTSD without it being overblown for dramatic purposes) and whatever shady shit Gray is up to.

Plus, I'd watch the shit out of Rip City Dicks.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Re: Stumptown
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 02:59:34 PM »
I'm digging this show, too. I just hope that they don't end up doing a love triangle between Dex, Hoffman, and the dweeby guy from New Girl.

Watching last night's episode, I was pleasantly surprised to see that Ambiguously Evil Native American Meemaw wasn't just a one-off character in the pilot; as long as they don't overdo it, I think that she'll make a great recurring foil for Dex.