Author Topic: 2019 NBA Preseason Thread  (Read 1096 times)

Description:

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
Re: 2019 NBA Preseason Thread
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2019, 11:17:49 PM »
Yeah, they have the talent to be in the hunt for the 7-8 if they keep CP3 and he and Gallo can stay relatively healthy and everything breaks right.  People are sleeping on how good Gallo became in LA.  SGA was legit the top prize of of the PG13 trade though, he has all-star potential.  They're already experimenting with playing 2 or 3 of Paul, SGA and Schroeder at the same time.  All 3 are good defensively so it can work at times.  They still have Adams.  They're really thin after that though, and I think lack of depth will kill them in the west.

Also, they got so many draft picks in the PG13 trade and they got SGA, they didn't fuck up the rebuild

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2019, 11:26:36 PM »
I should've said fucked up the trade, in the short term cause the gazillion draft picks will pay off in long term.

They dumped Russ and PG13 cause they didn't want to be a lower tier playoff team that gets bounced in the first round and now they have a team that, on paper, looks like a potential lower tier playoff team.

I don't get why everyone assumes it'll be easy getting rid of Chris Paul's contract either tbh. He's a 34 year old with an extensive injury history and $124 million left on his contract. I don't see why he's supposed to be a hot commodity.

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2019, 08:03:58 AM »
He's not really a "hot" commodity, but there are teams still interested in having him on their team for a playoff push. Why, I don't know, but there are. That's why people were trying to trade for him after he ended up in OKC. Just OKC's price was too high for the other teams.

As for when Paul gets traded, I'd say probably closer to the trade deadline. It'll be when some team is desperately in need of some more depth and knows that they clearly have a great chance of winning that they'll trade for him. It'll probably be a future 1st two or three years down the road that gets the trade completed is what I think.

Offline THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2019, 08:31:19 AM »
I don't get why everyone assumes it'll be easy getting rid of Chris Paul's contract either tbh. He's a 34 year old with an extensive injury history and $124 million left on his contract. I don't see why he's supposed to be a hot commodity.

I don't think anyone says this.  If anything, I've only seen the opposite take (bringing up the factors that you mentioned).

CP's best days are obviously behind him, but he's still in the upper tier of PGs and would be big for a playoff team trying to take the next step.  But it's unquestionably a huge risk with the factors you mentioned, especially with his remaining salary.  I see them having to package at least a couple of those first-rounders with him to get it done
@alfdogg765 on Twitter FOLLOW ME

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2019, 10:36:19 PM »

I don't think anyone says this.  If anything, I've only seen the opposite take (bringing up the factors that you mentioned).
Stan Van Gundy and Dennis Scott were saying that CP3 was gonna be gone sooner rather than later on the Oklahoma City Thunder Season Preview show I was watching! But I think old retired NBA people overvalue old currently active NBA players.

I'm guessing he mentors SGA and Schroeder for at least a couple months.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2019, 08:52:51 AM »
I know historically guards CP's size fall off a cliff around this age....Stockton is really the only guy who didn't.....but we don't have any modern comps for this era of the NBA with the spacing and rule changes that encourage offense.

He's definitely not washed.  His stats in minutes he was on the court last season and Harden wasn't were prime CP3.....like 21-12 per36 with great efficiency.  He's not worth the contract, but we knew that the moment pen hit paper.  He is still a really good basketball player

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2019, 10:21:23 AM »
The Boston Celtics signed Tacko Fall to a two way contract, which means he can spend up to 45 days with them so he'll spend most of his time with their G League affiliate, which means...

HOT GIRL SUMMER HAS BECOME TACKO FALL IN MAINE!

HOW JEALOUS ARE YOU, BABY SHOES!?

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • All hail Gritty!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2019, 01:28:01 PM »
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Offline Gert

« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2019, 02:27:12 PM »
Really weird stance by LeBron there because it is going to cause so many follow up questions. It's always a little strange to call someone uneducated on a topic and then not give any stance on it.

A lot of these NBA players and coaches are in a no-win situation on this, this will probably bring it back to the forefront for a few more days which is something I'm sure Adam Silver isn't thrilled about.

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2019, 03:59:29 AM »
I watched the whole statement from LeBron after seeing the clickbait headlines and got even more confused.

LeBron's whole point was people shouldn't talk about politics and hot button issues if they aren't fully informed  and he didn't want to speak out on China (which is basically what Steve Kerr has said) cause of that then criticized Morey for talking about China when he wasn't informed (which doesn't seem to be the case considering how entrenched Rockets were in China).

So I guess LeBron ended up accidentally proving his own point and now he's gonna get the Damaramus of the world *and* the woke NBA community all riled up.

Worst part is it was a totally unnecessary event. LeBron was a DNP in last night's preseason game, he just decided to throw an impromptu press conference. I'm not a hater but was a Kevin Durant like lack of social awareness.

Offline The Art of Rasslin'

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2019, 10:30:39 PM »
Any picks for surprise team this year?

Atlanta Hawks are a sexy pick for breakout team and I think they'll be a force to reckon with in a few years but my SURPRISE surprise pick would be The Detroit Pistons. Lot of boom or bust guys on contract years, they added some hungry, tough veterans. If Blake Griffin is healthy again, I could see them in the 4 to 6 seed range in the East and actually winning some playoff games. Maybe not series but being competitive after getting there. If Blake is gimpy though, they're probably losing a assload of games and trading pretty much everyone except him though so boom bust is story of the day with that franchise.

Not a surprise per say but I think a lot of people are crazy underselling Golden State. Yeah, obviously, they're no longer THE favorite but I don't think they should be COMPLETELY ruled out of title contention, even for this year. I've heard people talk about them being an 8 seed or maybe missing playoffs entirely which is crazy talk to me. Any team with a prime Steph and Draymond isn't going to be slumming it in the lottery. This Golden State Dynasty is OVER talk is semi-ridiculous. They'll be back in the Finals sooner rather than later.

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2019, 10:50:17 PM »
I honestly want Russell to excel with Golden State for the funs that team can be.

Offline THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2019, 02:54:00 AM »
I just don’t see it with Klay not there (D-Lo was a nice story last year, but he’s a clear downgrade from Klay if we’re being honest) and the LA teams, Utah, Portland and Houston making significant upgrades to their rosters, along with Denver returning full strength.  That’s 6 teams right there.  I suppose if Klay gets back there could be upset potential, but I think this season is a wash.  If nothing else, we’ll find out just how great of a coach Steve Kerr really is.

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2019, 03:01:09 AM »
I think timetable for Klay's return is late January/early February, before All Star break the last I heard. That would be plenty of time to ease him back into the lineup before the postseason.

I'm honestly not sure if Portland improved that much, if at all. They lost Aminu and added headcase Hassan Whiteside and old Pau Gasol. I'd have them somewhere in the 5 to 7 seed range with GSW tbh.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2019, 03:11:40 AM »
They won without Durant, and like Kamala said Klay will have plenty of time to adjust before the postseason. If they do come in as a lower seed, at least we'll finally get some NBA 'upsets' in the playoffs.

It's funny to me how a proven winner is being written off in favor of teams that have just been constructed and have yet to win anything together. It can happen, but looking at Golden State's odds for the season:

Los Angeles Lakers   +300
Los Angeles Clippers   +350
Milwaukee Bucks   +600
Philadelphia 76ers   +750
Houston Rockets   +850
Golden State Warriors   +1000

man, this disrespect is worth a bet.

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2019, 03:19:23 AM »
I know they lost KD plus a lot of depth (although Willie Cauley-Stein and Alec Burks are decent additions for roleplayers) so I understand that they're not at the very front of the line anymore but people saying that the Portland Trailblazers have a better shot of winning the NBA Championship ( I know Vegas says Warriors have a better chance but I've heard other people say that). So much disrespect for the Brothers Splash and their cousin Dray and all of their accomplishments over the years.

I think the Warriors could be transitioning from superteam to the next generation's version of the Spurs (perennial playoff team, occasional champ)

Offline THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2019, 06:41:38 AM »
They're not just without Durant.  The only players they're bringing back from last season (barring Klay who is injured) are Steph, Draymond, and Kevon Looney, who is unproven as a regular rotation/high usage player.  They're as newly constructed as the teams ranked above them.  Cauley-Stein is a bum and Burks has only played meaningful minutes for bottom-feeders.  I don't know how those acquisitions can be praised while Bazemore and Whiteside are downplayed, headcase or no.  And Klay just had the ACL in June, if he's already back in January it's highly unlikely he'll be all the way back, especially when you consider how much movement his game requires.

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2019, 06:46:03 AM »
The Warriors won't even make the playoffs. Curry gets injured every year and this time when he does you can count on the team losing nearly every game.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Cool, Bad, & Handsome

• KOAB
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2019, 07:03:33 AM »
I still expect the Trail Blazers to put way too much into the regular season and end up with the 1 or 2 seed while the real contenders play it smart thinking ahead towards the title. At least Lillard will get that runner up MVP accolade.

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2019, 10:37:17 AM »
I'm willing to do a board bet over Warriors making it to the 2nd round of the playoffs with 909. He can pick the terms as a former POTY.

I'm at the point of the year where I'm irrationally excited for almost every NBA team. It's insane that we've got at least a half dozen feasible potential champs and I think every team has a chance to be interesting. Except for the Hornets & Cavs. Knicks will be interesting in the sense that it'll be cool to see what it will look like when a team sends out five power forwards on the floor.

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2019, 01:29:01 PM »
Vince Carter scored 14 points in Madison Square Garden in the 2nd quarter* of Hawks/Knicks tonight. BAH GAWD!

Also Chandler Parsons is on the Hawks. What a weird ass offseason.

*0 points in the rest of the game cause Vince Carter is gonna Vince Carter even at 48 years old

Offline Cool, Bad, & Handsome

• KOAB
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2019, 03:15:08 PM »
They won without Durant, and like Kamala said Klay will have plenty of time to adjust before the postseason. If they do come in as a lower seed, at least we'll finally get some NBA 'upsets' in the playoffs.

It's funny to me how a proven winner is being written off in favor of teams that have just been constructed and have yet to win anything together. It can happen, but looking at Golden State's odds for the season:

Milwaukee Bucks   +600
Houston Rockets   +850

the warriors are old dried up dogshit bro

• Admin
« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2019, 03:21:06 PM »

Milwaukee Bucks   +600
Houston Rockets   +850

You might as well light that shit on fire. There is no way that team can beat teams with LeBron and AD, or Harden and Westbrook, or Kawhi and PG, or the Sixers, etc.

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

• Admin
« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2019, 05:34:23 PM »
Buddy Hield pretty much told the Kings "pay me because nobody fuckin comes here or trade me." Called their ass out.

Offline Grit, Toughness, Soul, & Spirit

• brock lock
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2019, 06:23:57 PM »
With Klay out for a long period of time, the Warriors depth is really weak. There's Steph, Draymond coming off his worst year since he broke out, uh maybe D'Angelo Russell can replicate the same numbers as last year. Alec Burks and Willie Cauley Stein are trash. They basically need the players like Alfonso McKinney, Kevon Looney, and Jacob Evans to jump to the next level. The only way I can see The Warriors being very dangerous is if someone like McKinney or Looney makes a Pascal Siakam type leap.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2019, 09:15:05 PM »

lmao even in complimenting them he still has to dump on Lebron.

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2019, 01:05:32 AM »
Considering he didn't play defense much last season, not sure it is much of a dig. If he can't play defense, oh well.

Honestly though, at his stage of career, he can kind of earn not playing it. He's older. Let the younger ones deal with the defense.

Offline THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2019, 02:49:48 AM »
Buddy Hield pretty much told the Kings "pay me because nobody fuckin comes here or trade me." Called their ass out.

Buddy’s whole two-year resume is hardly good enough to claim he’s “insulted” by being offered $90 million.

Offline THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2019, 12:34:46 PM »
Luol Deng signed with the Bulls and retired

• Admin
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2019, 04:20:59 AM »
Lol the Warriors waived McKinnie so they could keep Marquese Chriss.

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2019, 04:43:09 AM »
They seem to be really high on Chriss. I would laugh so damn hard if Chriss suddenly becomes what he wasn't in his other two places (Sun, Rockets).

Edit: Appears Zion's going to be missing some time due to his knee strain. Don't want to take any chances with his health, it seems.

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2019, 02:31:51 AM »
I'm stanning the 2019-20 Warriors so much cause I think Steph is gonna have a '05-'06 Kobe like season. Also there's no way that Draymond isn't better than he was last season now that he's the #2 guy. And if DeAngelo Russell does have a season like he did last season (or better), it's not *that* much of a dropoff from healthy Klay. Also Looney could have a huge leap year and Kerr has history of making trash players serviceable role players.

And I feel like all of this will make me look like a damn fool if Steph does get injured and they lose 50+ games. But then again, that could be a '96-'97 Spurs scenario. So yeah I think it'd understandable to write off Warriors Dynasty temporarily but foolish to write them off for good.

Offline Grit, Toughness, Soul, & Spirit

• brock lock
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2019, 03:00:49 AM »
Luol Deng signed with the Bulls and retired

My man Deng was awesome here. Also, he's absolutely loaded. He's made 125 million on just his real estate ventures alone and that's combined with the 151 million he's made as a player.