Author Topic: MLB Offseason Thread  (Read 3448 times)

Description: The Quest For Joe Maddon

Offline Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
Re: MLB Offseason Thread
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2019, 11:11:52 PM »
YES!

full no-trade and opt out after 5 years when he'll be 34

It's insane money, but honestly it's worth it for the Yankees.  They've desperately needed a top of the rotation ace for years and Cole ticks every box.

NYY have been relatively fiscally conservative all things concerned since the Ellsbury signing and waiting for some of the big contracts to come off the books.  Other than the Stanton trade they haven't gone too big in years or money for anyone.  This is the biggest FA pitching splash they've made since CC 11 years ago or the Tanaka posting, and it was badly needed.  The fanbase was desperate for them to acquire an ace by any means necessary after passing up on a number of dudes via trade or FA over the last several years.

Cole
Tanaka
Severino
Paxton
Haap (who's probably getting traded)

not bad

+1

Very excited

Offline alkeiper

• Welcoming our new insect overlords
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2019, 12:00:27 AM »
Of course this will hurt the Yankees in 5-10 years when luxury tax penalties hit and Cole/Stanton get old. But there's no telling when you get a core like Sanchez/Torres/Judge again and you need to strike when that window is open. So I think this is a good move.

Offline Cartman

« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2019, 03:05:25 AM »
Great move for the Yankeees, and i'm pretty sure they can afford to eat the luxury tax penalties down the road. They have done an incredible job building their team up, and this is the cherry on top that should put them in a multiple WS title stretch.

Offline minger80

• New Poster Who Should Be Posting
  • Fantasy Baseball is life
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2019, 04:05:04 AM »
Being a Orioles fan I hope the Yankees don't win any world series. However I know my O's are a very long way from competing.

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2019, 06:34:27 AM »

Awwwww yeaeeaaaahhhh

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2019, 03:06:45 PM »
Angels signed Anthony Rendon. Kind of surprised about that one. Think this means that the Dodgers will go all in for Lindor now. Meaning probably Lux immediately starts for the Indians, I would think.

Offline strummer

« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2019, 03:56:26 PM »
7 years/245 million for Rendon

Unlike the last few years big names are going early this off season

Offline minger80

« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2019, 06:57:59 AM »
Don't the Yankees still have Jordan Montgomery they could use as a number 5 if they trade Happ.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2019, 10:14:14 AM »
Don't the Yankees still have Jordan Montgomery they could use as a number 5 if they trade Happ.

Yes.  They also have Domingo German who's likely going to be getting a suspension for domestic violence.  He ended last year on "administrative leave" and nobody seems to know what's going on

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • All hail Gritty!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2019, 11:14:28 AM »

I miss having the bullpens next to the dugout. I think the A's are the last ones to have that.
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2019, 11:53:53 AM »
Looks like an homage to the Polo Grounds.

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2019, 12:57:37 PM »
The Polo Grounds outfield never ended.  ;D

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2019, 03:13:12 AM »

Online Joyful & Soyful

• brock lock
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2019, 03:56:33 AM »
Dallas Keuchel went to the White Sox. White Sox will be the best team in Chicago in 2020.

Offline minger80

« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2019, 04:23:52 AM »
Depends on what the Cubs do. If they end up trading Bryant that will defintely hurt their chances of being competitive. The White Sox on the other hand have had a pretty decent off season so as far as record goes I think they might have the better record than the Cubs.

Online Joyful & Soyful

• brock lock
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2019, 05:01:58 AM »
If they stay pat, I can't really see them competing with the Cards or Reds. They might finish fourth in the NL Central. Their rotation as is doesn't give me any confidence. Despite the Cubs team being worth billions and this new tv network supposedly leading to them being able to spend more money on players luxary tax be damned, Tom Ricketts has still limited their budget to the point they couldn't afford Eric Sogard.

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2019, 06:41:24 AM »
You got to see them win the World Series. Hopefully your great grandchildren get to see the next one.

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2019, 02:37:56 PM »

Also Ryu signed with the Jays. No one wants to pitch for the Angels.

Offline treble

• Truculence
  • Admin
« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2019, 11:17:54 PM »
I had no confidence the Jays were going to sign anyone of any significance, even though they'd been linked to Ryu all off-season. Very glad to be proven wrong.

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2019, 12:30:40 AM »
I don't know how good the Blue Jays will be. But with Bichette, Guerrero, etc., they have a really interesting team.

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2019, 05:55:39 AM »
I think they can be a wild card team.

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2019, 06:55:13 AM »
Figure on Yankees, Twins, Astros being obvious division favorites. Last year the A's and Rays were wild cards with the Indians right behind. Behind them the Blue Jays, White Sox, Angels and Rangers have done the most to improve. I can see the White Sox making that jump. I won't count out the Jays, but 30 wins is a lot to gain in one offseason. Virtually everything has to go right. They're helped by the Red Sox and Indians' reported insistence on shooting themselves in the foot.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2019, 09:26:35 AM »
I think the Jays are probably still a year or two away from making real noise but I love their young talent

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2019, 09:36:33 AM »
They're helped by the Red Sox and Indians' reported insistence on shooting themselves in the foot.

Winning the World Series feels like ages ago after last season.  They might as well get the Betts trade over with so that doesn't hang over the fanbase for most of the year.  They also want to trade Price, but will probably have to eat a lot of that contract to do so (which contradicts their plans to cut payroll).  It's gonna be hard to root for a team that doesn't plan to make any noise for a few years.

Offline Cartman

« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2019, 10:07:01 AM »
Sounds like they are trying to package Benintendi with Price to allow for not eating a lot of that contract, and that's fine by me.

Offline treble

• Truculence
  • Admin
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2019, 10:13:32 AM »
Jays games have been a slog to get through the last few seasons, so anything to improve just a little bit is good in my view. I'm not sure signing Ryu makes them a playoff team this season, but even just a fun to watch .500 team is better than what they've been since probably 2017.

Its interesting to see the media coverage of it, too. It was the lead story on TSN, even on a Sunday night after some big NFL games and a big Raptors win. There's a huge Jays audience in this country and I don't think it will take too much to get them back.

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #77 on: December 24, 2019, 12:56:24 PM »
Mets signed Dellin Betances to an incentive/option laden contract.  Basically he's guaranteed at least $10.5m and can opt out after the season

Really good pickup for them IMO.  Loved him as a Yankee, sad they let him walk.  I like it when my club has guys that they drafted/signed and come up thru their system.  There's a lot of sentimental value with Betances.  Been with the org since they drafted him in 2006 and one of the last remaining bridges to guys like Mo, Jeter, Po, Pettite etc.  It's literally just Gardy now pretty much.

Not to mention he's been one of the best relievers in baseball over the last decade and a 4 time all-star.  I hope he's healthy and throws a great season for the Mets and gets paid next off-season.  Due to the Yankees playing hardball and the way arbitration values non-closing relievers he's never been paid like he deserved

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #78 on: December 24, 2019, 03:44:38 PM »

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #79 on: December 25, 2019, 11:08:23 AM »
Pitchers with five seasons of 100+ strikeouts and zero games started:

Goose Gossage
Dellin Betances

I saw Betances pitch a game in Scranton in 2011. He pitched three innings, allowed one hit and walked nine. He had no control whatsoever but no hitter could touch his stuff. Most pitchers like that don’t succeed but the few that do can become dominant. Betances was one of the lucky few. I’d be hard pressed to find many middle relievers who made four all star teams.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=g_box&did=milb&gid=2011_08_23_rocaaa_swbaaa_1

Offline minger80

« Reply #80 on: December 25, 2019, 11:36:17 AM »
Dbacks signing Kole Calhoun was nice as well huge bargain. I don't see a huge difference between him and Ozuna yet someone will overpay for him.

Offline Gert

« Reply #81 on: December 25, 2019, 03:26:41 PM »
I don't understand the thoughts of trading Betts & Lindor. Especially if you are Boston and have revenue every year. Do the 12 year deals work? No, but I don't understand how trading guys that are still rising and can be Top 5 at their position in the league.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #82 on: December 25, 2019, 03:37:26 PM »
I don't understand the thoughts of trading Betts & Lindor. Especially if you are Boston and have revenue every year. Do the 12 year deals work? No, but I don't understand how trading guys that are still rising and can be Top 5 at their position in the league.

Boston suddenly wants to get below the salary tax threshold after they gave out a bunch of (now questionable) extensions last offseason.  They've got a bunch of money coming off the books after 2020 (maybe more if Pedroia retires) and really need to rebuild the farm system, so Betts gives them the best chance at a good haul.

Offline Gert

« Reply #83 on: December 25, 2019, 03:41:59 PM »
I get it, but I feel like it's such a crap shoot.

The Marlins traded a younger Miggy for Cameron Maybin & Andrew Miller. Granted both were Top 5 prospects, but i think it is such a crap shoot. Maybe a team like Boston can hope the youth infusion and the established guys can put them over the top, but I think teams around the tax need to get more creative.

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #84 on: December 25, 2019, 11:51:22 PM »
At some point, what are you even rebuilding for? You can make any number of brilliant trades, draft and develop right and chances are you're still not going to find the next Mookie Betts. He's a once in a generation player. The idea that the Boston Red Sox off all teams can't afford him is absurd.

Offline Cartman

« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2019, 05:39:34 AM »
Call me crazy, but I don't think Betts really IS a "Once in a generation player". I think he's a good player, but I believe he's been massively overrated. He's really good, but I don't look at him in the same light as say a Trout, Bellinger, Yelich, etc.

The type of deal he's going to get is insane to me.

Offline Dandy

• Top 128 Poster
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #86 on: December 27, 2019, 06:25:21 AM »
I agree with Cartman. However, no one should be viewed in the same light as Trout.
Oh Dandy...you came and you gave without taking!

Offline Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #87 on: December 27, 2019, 07:15:17 AM »
He needs a few more seasons of the one he had couple of years ago to be considered Trout level, imo

That being said, he’s as good if not better than the other dudes

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #88 on: December 27, 2019, 07:52:31 AM »
Right now I'd take Betts over Yelich and Bellinger due to defense/baserunning.  He's more of a 5 tool player.  Plus I see him a ton so I'm more familiar with him.  Bellinger has age on both of them though

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
  • Sometimes A Friend is Worth A Billion Dollars
« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2019, 05:42:08 AM »

Oh man.

tbh...look I'm a New England man but Schilling was talked about as a borderliner Hall of Famer before he became piece of trash. I know it's not a Hall of Morality (hello Ty Cobb) but c'mon.

To reiterate me not thinking it's the Hall of Morality, I think Bonds, Clemens, and Sosa (and all of the other major steroid guys) all should get in. Include a note, asterisk, whatever on their plaques but virtually forgetting an entire era of baseball is ridiculous.

Edit: How is Omar Vizquel getting so many votes!? I know he played for 20+ years and was a great defensive shortstop but wow.

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #90 on: December 30, 2019, 07:24:20 AM »
I know Jeter is a HOF'er but it bothers me he's going in unanimously.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #91 on: December 30, 2019, 09:58:52 AM »
He should.  The problem is all the asshole writers who refused to vote for slam dunk candidates just to be curmudgeonly pedants.  Thankfully those days seem to be in the rearview.  That said, I don't think Jetes will be unanimous.  He's not universally beloved the way Mo was.

And I guess it's time for my annual "why the fuck isn't Jeff Kent in the F'n HOF" comment.  Search 'Kent' 'HOF' and I probably did a long post on it at least once here

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #92 on: December 31, 2019, 03:00:54 AM »
On playing career Schilling is a HOFer. As far as character your mileage may vary. He has trash opinions. He also won awards for character, integrity and charitable work. I'm cautious about invoking character because if we really start digging, the logical conclusion will be that we shouldn't even have a Hall of Fame.

I'm resigned that Vizquel is getting in eventually. Harold Baines got in for sticking around forever. Vizquel has a stronger support base and stuck around longer. His #2 comp is Rabbit Maranville and that's a really good one. Shortstops with 20+ year careers who got in on their defensive reputations and were controversial selections. I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #93 on: December 31, 2019, 03:41:49 AM »
It's the threatening to murder journalists remarks that crosses the lines more than his trash opinions (or swindling the state of Rhode Island out of millions). How can you expect to get voted into a HOF where the voters ARE journalists after that?

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #94 on: January 07, 2020, 10:25:19 AM »

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #95 on: January 07, 2020, 03:24:24 PM »
now Boston is being investigated.....

https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/01/07/boston-red-sox-sign-stealing-allegations-video-replay-room-2018-investigation

"The Red Sox and New York Yankees were fined separately in 2017 as part of an investigation into the use of electronics to steal signs."

This could really be a big scandal for MLB depending on how many teams they end up busting.

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!

Offline Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2020, 02:45:17 AM »
now Boston is being investigated.....

https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/01/07/boston-red-sox-sign-stealing-allegations-video-replay-room-2018-investigation

"The Red Sox and New York Yankees were fined separately in 2017 as part of an investigation into the use of electronics to steal signs."

This could really be a big scandal for MLB depending on how many teams they end up busting.

Yankees were fined before they put an iron clad rule in place. The Red Sox continued, so they are being investigated and the Yankees aren’t.

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2020, 05:18:42 AM »
https://www.barstoolsports.com/baseball/a-former-prospect-sued-the-yankees-for-34-million-because-derek-jeter-ruined-his-career

Derek Jeter ruined my life too.

Reading about this now. This is pretty hilarious. Too bad it was unsuccessful or we could've set a precedent where RVD sued Triple H for burying him in the '00s. Alas..

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2020, 07:09:23 AM »
$27 million for Betts in arbitration, the biggest award ever.  Yeah, he gone.