Author Topic: AEW Dynamite 11/6/19  (Read 966 times)

Description: Jericho's new manager, Donnie T Jr.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
Re: AEW Dynamite 11/6/19
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2019, 05:04:25 AM »
The crowd seemed super hot on TV.  So they must've had them mic'd perfect.

One small complaint.  I really wish they would run more with Darby.  I think they have something in him.  I think chicks will dig him like they did Jeff Hardy 20 years ago.  I would've probably replaced the Dark Order/Private Party match with something featuring him.

yeah, the crowd was really hot on tv I thought.  Also, if that whole side was that empty they did a great job hiding it on tv, because they made it look like a full house.  Also, it appears that photo was taken a while before the show actually started

Were they at the Eastern Carolina University arena?  No idea what the capacity on that building would be (5-6 thousand?) but I thought I saw someone in the crowd wearing those colors

No, this was in Charlotte.

Offline skullman80

• Metalhead
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2019, 07:57:48 AM »
That Cody promo... goddamn.

That Jericho parody video.... goddamn amazing.

I am probably going to order a wrestling PPV for the first time in forever this weekend.  That was a great go home show.

Offline skullman80

• Metalhead
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2019, 08:01:38 AM »
I feel like AEW is showing how much story matters in pro wrestling.  A great match is a great match, but it's still just a match.   Combine a great match with a story and wrestlers you are invested in.. that is how it's supposed to be.

Online Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2019, 09:06:24 AM »
I thought overall, the show might have been one of the weaker ones so far (but still decent) but god damn, that brawl at the end was fantastic.  That was a money segment if I ever saw one. And the crowd looked super small at the beginning of the show and the show was very darkly lit. I wonder if they moved people to one side over the course of the night cause they seemed bigger and louder at the end (although having the whitehot closing angle certainly helped).

Cody's promo was maybe the best promo I've seen him do. It got me fired up.

AEW really knows how to hype better than anyone since WWE in the early '00s.

Offline CookieMueller

• Forever blowing bubbles
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2019, 10:38:42 AM »
Add me to the Cody promo love train with the rest of the planet.

I think he loses to explain why he’s not in the title picture. He made Darby Allin in their match (which he won), helped give his brothers career a shot in the arm (while still winning the match) and then he took Shawn Spears from being kind of a hokey signing into being one of their upper mid card guys with that whole angle (and ultimately won that match too). I think that’s the sign of a real star, when you get guys over while beating them. It’s what HHH never could do (or wanted to do, take your pick) back in the day. It’s easy to squash a dude and parade over their dead corpse, it’s another thing entirely to beat them and elevate them at the same time. I think he’s gonna be doing more of that and having the title would only complicate it. This will be a way to explain away the whole situation of having a  “great win/loss record” without having him constantly be number one contender.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2019, 10:41:31 AM »
I had a feeling Dynamite would probably be more angle/promo driven than any week last night, and sure enough it definitely was.

I'd argue that not only was Cody's promo the promo of the year, but perhaps the best promo in at least the last 2-3 years in U.S. pro wrestling. I can't even think of a promo that got a crowd so into it and shit, it even gave me goosebumps as he went off.

The wrestling took a backdrop a bit for sure, likely because the workshoes will be on for the ppv hopefully.

The last five minutes reminded me of a period in 1997 WWF where this occurred often near the end of the show. Just a wild brawl that tries to last minute built hot heat for the impending matches. I thought they did a great job with it. The point was twofold as well as that was not just for the ppv on Saturday, but a bigger picture in that they are starting to get Wargames together for Chicago. Still amped that the Chicago run of wrestling shows in a few weeks will have 3 fuckin Wargames matches. I'm all in, got tickets for all of the WWE shows and AEW on that Weds too.

Online Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2019, 10:50:25 AM »
NXT jumped up to within 0.05 ratings share (and 9,000 viewers) of AEW (and 20 spots up on the cable ranking list). AEW did 822k and NXT did 813k.

Looks like the RAW and Smackdown! crossovers worked.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2019, 10:52:30 AM »
My dad, who hasn't watched wrestling since I moved out, called me to tell me about that Jericho video. He actually stopped and watched the show for that whole bit. They're succeeding.

Offline Big Beard Booty Daddy

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2019, 11:18:12 AM »
Add me to the Cody promo love train with the rest of the planet.

I think he loses to explain why he’s not in the title picture. He made Darby Allin in their match (which he won), helped give his brothers career a shot in the arm (while still winning the match) and then he took Shawn Spears from being kind of a hokey signing into being one of their upper mid card guys with that whole angle (and ultimately won that match too). I think that’s the sign of a real star, when you get guys over while beating them. It’s what HHH never could do (or wanted to do, take your pick) back in the day. It’s easy to squash a dude and parade over their dead corpse, it’s another thing entirely to beat them and elevate them at the same time. I think he’s gonna be doing more of that and having the title would only complicate it. This will be a way to explain away the whole situation of having a  “great win/loss record” without having him constantly be number one contender.

That match was a draw, actually.

Anyway, the rest of your point stands. He's made people for sure. HHH didn't make anyone. He'd beat them in 2 minutes and then after the match, he'd hit another move to bury them. He only cared about getting himself over.

The only issue with Spears is he should have won that match. The loss stopped his momentum dead. Fans don't care about him. Tully also serves no purpose right now. He's out there doing nothing. He's not cutting promos, he's not helping Spears win. He has a 50/50 match with Michael Nakazowa on Dark, then he gets a decisive win over Cutler. But he needs to stop the 10 thing. He doesn't want to be known as the 10 Guy, but still does that.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline Gert

« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2019, 11:56:34 AM »
Things I liked:
-   Cody promo. The fact that is up for debate whether the Cody segment or the Jericho segment that spoofed the Cody package from Week 3 was better, shows how awesome both were.
-   Jericho spoof. I think every part was perfect. Hager was great, Sammy G in the beginning was awesome as was Patricia Brobski.
-   Trent v. Pac; I think I’d like to see more of a Trent singles run after this match. Pac is awesome and I think they can do a lot of things with him.
-   Hayter/Sakura as a team. Both good heels that liked to do heelish things.

Things that were OK to me:

-   Dark Order; I like both Grayson and Uno enough and I think it’s a good idea to have the Creepers out on the apron for the full match, but I wish they had more similarities in attire or something, or at least a background as to why someone like Grayson is working with Uno.
-   The finish to the women’s match. A good finish especially Riho losing based on her size disadvantage.
Things the I hated:
-   Private Party’s finisher. Grayson sat in position for almost 15 seconds before they hit Gin ‘N Juice. I thought Private Party looked better, but they and some other guys in AEW have to stop doing spots where they have to slow down in order to execute. It just doesn’t look good.

Overall I thought it was a good show, and I am pretty excited about this show on Saturday.

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2019, 02:47:47 PM »
Tully also serves no purpose right now. He's out there doing nothing. He's not cutting promos, he's not helping Spears win.

If the Tully connection ultimately leads to his daughter being wooed over, then he's worth whatever they're paying him. They need her badly. No top WWE girls are going anywhere anytime soon so she's sort of their last chance at a good worker who can cut promos and she's young and looks good. They need her more than they need Shawn Spears tbh.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2019, 12:22:08 AM »
it's like they brought Tully in and changed their mind about what they wanted him for. His best use is by FAR to try as hard as possible to get Tessa when her deal is up.

He should be the midcard heat magnet for a lot of guys. Like, Page should turn and get Tully to do everything for him until he feels close to the top guy they think he is.

Offline OldSchoolWrestling

« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2019, 01:14:55 AM »
To date, I have not watched 1 minute of anything AEW. I plan to at some point but haven't yet. I watched the Cody promo and it blew me away. For me it's almost right up their with Dusty's "Hard times" promo. Moments like that you remember forever.

Offline The Amazing Rando

• Apparently Smart?
    • Opposite Attractions
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2019, 01:32:14 AM »
Cody referring to the eventual Elite/Inner Circle clash as being "the match beyond" ... nice touch.
A Horrible Premise - Episode 48: TEN CORGIS TAPED TOGETHER - an improv comedy game show podcast about creating 'horrible' tv shows.

Opposite Attractions - a comedy design podcast where two idiots design their very own theme parks. SEASON 7 IS HERE!

I made a silly Disney Parks RPG. You should check it out here!

Apparently Artistic - See my dubious attempts at making art.

Bro, Do You Even Tweet?

Online geniusMoment

• Trailer Park Supervisor
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2019, 02:16:34 AM »
Big Dave said Cody owns the rights to "the match beyond" but not Wargames.  So whatever they're doing in Chicago will have that tagline just with another name instead of Wargames.
Randy!

Offline Dandy

• Top 128 Poster
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2019, 02:38:28 AM »
Tully is widely cheered in a lot of places because he is a Horseman. He got an unbelievable pop as the first act out to open the show as AEW Dark filmed that match before thy Ev main show. Spears was then booed. So a lot of what they have Tully do could backfire as a pop instead of heat as intended.
Oh Dandy...you came and you gave without taking!

Offline Dandy

• Top 128 Poster
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2019, 02:42:47 AM »
I’m not saying Triple H didn’t bury people but let’s not act like he wasn’t having great matches with Taka, Jericho, Shelton, and others when he was a top heel; letting them get a lot of offense and nearly winning (or having the win reversed); and basically getting beat up at times. Yes, he did a lot more of the other stuff, but he had plenty of instances of showing ass and letting the face get over. Failure by the boomers to elevate those workers afterward doesn’t change how Triple H’s matches with them went.
Oh Dandy...you came and you gave without taking!

Online geniusMoment

« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2019, 02:49:53 AM »
Randy!

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2019, 05:30:55 AM »
Hootie is All Elite

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2019, 06:03:46 AM »

You can barely see me behind the sign on the left at 1:04ish.  My brother is to the right with the Misfits shirt.  That guy held that sign up every segment and kids behind us couldn't see very well to begin with and that just made it worse.

Online Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2019, 08:47:59 AM »

Hmm

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/darby-allin-wwe-would-have-had-me-tv-jacking-boiler-room
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Big Beard Booty Daddy

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2019, 09:28:00 AM »

Hmm

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/darby-allin-wwe-would-have-had-me-tv-jacking-boiler-room
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

There's a story currently going around stating that NJPW was so upset Kenny left that they tried to have him banned from entering the country for 10 years.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline Fall of Epic

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2019, 06:37:42 AM »
Watching this week's Dynamite. I guess enough fans hated Evil Uno's look for him to be wrestling in a shirt now.

Cody's promo was awesome. Heartfelt and effective.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2019, 07:55:26 AM »
It sucks. I want gimp captain to be unfettered.

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2019, 09:21:03 AM »
man i dont like dark order as a gimmick but my fat wrestlers shouldn't be wearing shirts. that's stupid

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2019, 06:43:45 PM »

Hmm

;D ;D ;D ;D

There's a story currently going around stating that NJPW was so upset Kenny left that they tried to have him banned from entering the country for 10 years.

From what I saw it was standard Japanese practice/law for a Gaijin to have to seek a new work visa each time they switched promotions.

I’m not saying Triple H didn’t bury people but let’s not act like he wasn’t having great matches with Taka, Jericho, Shelton, and others when he was a top heel; letting them get a lot of offense and nearly winning (or having the win reversed); and basically getting beat up at times. Yes, he did a lot more of the other stuff, but he had plenty of instances of showing ass and letting the face get over. Failure by the boomers to elevate those workers afterward doesn’t change how Triple H’s matches with them went.

Most of that was 2000 when HHH was trying hard. Once he got the torn quad and came back bloated, he was HUNTOR the unbeatable, unable to have "good" matches until Benoit (and Shawn to a degree) got their hands on him.

The RAW where Jericho was teased as having beat HHH, HHH ended up smashing him by the end of the show 1-2-3.

Online Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2019, 08:22:34 AM »
SCU Vs Chris Jericho & Sammy Guevera for the AEW Tag Team Titles is announced as main event for next episode.

Assuming it'll be a fuck finish but I think it'd be cool to have Inner Circle go over then have The Rhodes Brothers win the straps from them.

Online geniusMoment

« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2019, 08:52:02 AM »
The real main event is going to be the epic MJF promo.  He's really going to lay into all of us pathetic losers.  It's gonna be great!
Randy!