Author Topic: Veggie Burgers  (Read 421 times)

Description: Leave The Beef at the Door

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
  • Sometimes A Friend is Worth A Billion Dollars
Veggie Burgers
« on: November 27, 2019, 03:19:39 AM »
So they've been making great strides with veggie burgers the last year or two so I wanted to start a thread. I definitely aspire to be veg or at least, cut out eating beef since it's so bad for the environment (and the cows).

Had a Beyond burger for the first time on Monday and great googly moogly, it was something else. I'd never had a veggie burger that had such a similar mouth feel and texture of beef burger. Granted it was texture of a frozen cafeteria patty burger but still damn damn close approximation of actual beef. It wasn't best tasting veggie burger (Although certainly, it was a real good one) but it was best at approximating the real thing.

I legit like the taste though of a lot of veggie burgers. A bean patty really makes it seem like halfway between a burger and a burrito. Trader Joe's has a lot of good veggie burger options.

I still haven't had the Impossible Whopper since everyone I know hates Burger King but I'm very interested in giving it a try and hear great things.

I'm also very excited at the prospects of LAB GROWN BEEF in the next few years.

Anyone else enjoy vegetarian/vegan burgers?

Offline Winter Epicland

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
Re: Veggie Burgers
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 03:22:26 AM »
I'm a big veggie burger eater. I love Beyond Burgers but they're so dang expensive. I do want to try the Impossible Whopper.

I also refer to TJ's for my veggie burger supply. The Dr. Prager ones are on point.

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 03:39:57 AM »
I like veggie burgers that aren't trying to be meat. We eat a lot of black bean burgers and sometimes beet burgers.

Offline Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 03:43:24 AM »
Beyond Burgers are, unfortunately, the first casualty of my girlfriend's food avoidance during the pregnancy. Season them with some black pepper and a dab of A1 before pan-frying and HOLY SHIIIIIIT they're good.

Impossible burgers are...meh. The texture is basic fake beef and the flavor is fine if you season it right.

Offline Gert

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 03:03:16 PM »
I also enjoy the black bean burgers. I will usually get the Boca burgers and Spicy Chicken Patties if I have an at home hankering because I like how low calorie they are. Maybe not the best "closest to beef patty" taste, but I usually have a shit ton of other toppings on it so its not too noticeable.

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 04:18:01 PM »
Your Pie pizza chain had Impossible brand burger meat for their pizza of the month last year and it was AMAZING. It was a freaking bacon cheeseburger pizza with no dairy (or beef) at all. It would have been straight vegan had I not added bacon. I haven't had the Whopper yet, but Impossible already established a good precedent with me.

I used to get black bean burgers at Sams Club. Honestly, couldn't tell they weren't beef either. I forget the brand but it was a bland black box in the freezer section.

I'm not vegan, but being dairy free, there's a lot of crossover recipes so it doesn't bother me to pick up a vegan option here and there.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 11:17:42 PM »
Morningstar Farms FTW.  Lots of good varieties and their Chorizo veggie crumbles are tits

I haven't tried Beyond or Incrediburgers or any of these new ones

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 08:44:02 AM »
I had a Beyond Burger again on Monday. Significantly less good the 2nd time (although still pretty good) but I blame it mostly on toppings. First time I had traditional burger toppings (LTO, Thousand Island Dressing, pickles). This time I had a burger with blue cheese crumbles and truffle oil and yeah. I think those kind of toppings require actual beef burger for optimum taste.

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 09:41:09 AM »
Who here fucks with portabella mushroom burgers? Had a really good tasting one last night at a new vegan fast food place called Copper Branch.

It's kind of unfair to call it a burger. It's just a big ass mushroom on a burger bun. Flavor wise, they're usually fantastic. This one had some great, really realistic tasting vegan American cheese and good toasted bun. Texture wise, these things are untenable! I always run out of bun with like a third of the burger left and am left holding a slimy ass mushroom with whatever sauce and topping.

Surely technology can (and perhaps has) come up with a way to dice up those mushrooms and bind them together. It's such a frustrating sandwich to eat that I always forget until the 2 or 3 times a year I get it.

Offline The Art of Rasslin'

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 12:14:42 PM »
how much do the fast food vegan/veggie burgers usually cost for you guys? around here it feels expensive.

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

Offline Hawk 34

• Death Pool Winner
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 12:57:03 PM »
Usually a couple dollars more than the meat version.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2020, 01:39:10 PM »
Who here fucks with portabella mushroom burgers? Had a really good tasting one last night at a new vegan fast food place called Copper Branch.

It's kind of unfair to call it a burger. It's just a big ass mushroom on a burger bun. Flavor wise, they're usually fantastic. This one had some great, really realistic tasting vegan American cheese and good toasted bun. Texture wise, these things are untenable! I always run out of bun with like a third of the burger left and am left holding a slimy ass mushroom with whatever sauce and topping.

Surely technology can (and perhaps has) come up with a way to dice up those mushrooms and bind them together. It's such a frustrating sandwich to eat that I always forget until the 2 or 3 times a year I get it.

I hate mushrooms so this whole post repulsed me.

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2020, 04:05:06 PM »

Man, every time I eat mushrooms as the central focus of the dish, it jacks with my system. A little mushroom in Italian, salad, or on steak, I'm good. I eat one of these new fangled mushroom as a giant edible bowl or substitute burger, you're not seeing me for a few hours.

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2020, 02:18:47 AM »
how much do the fast food vegan/veggie burgers usually cost for you guys? around here it feels expensive.

I think they're a little bit more ($1 to $2) at a fast food place but I notice no price difference at sit down casual restaurant between them and regular burgers. Unless it's a Beyond or Impossible Burger then sometimes there is an upcharge.

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2020, 11:28:46 AM »
Impossible Whopper is now part of BK's 2 for $6 deal now.

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2020, 03:18:47 PM »
Local Fox affiliate evening news actually did a segment on the "Impossible" products. It was muted, so I didn't hear the dialogue, but lots of footage of the production was shown in the montage.