Author Topic: If You Build It, They Will Come. Have You Seen That Movie? (NBA December 2019)  (Read 2427 times)

Description:

Offline Joyful & Soyful

• brock lock
This article is dated March 2011 and reads the same as what is happening with the Bulls right now.

https://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?id=51409263&itype=CMSID

Ute players at that time were treating Boylen's program like an exploding oil tanker, a third of the team jumping ship for destinations from Lubbock to Las Cruces and … well, dry land anywhere. Utah was coming off a 14-17 season in which it lost at home to college basketball powers such as Idaho and Seattle — which wasn't as bad as losses in the previous season to Southwest Baptist and Idaho State — and on the road to Weber State and Pepperdine. Just as bad, for the second time in Boylen's three seasons at the helm, the Utes won just seven Mountain West Conference games and lost nine.

"We need toughness," he said, as he swallowed his toast. "We need players."

What the Utes really needed was a better coach.

What Boylen needed was wins.

What he got was a bag full of bagels.

I guess 7 or more players transferred out during Boylen's time there. Couple that with the Bulls players staging a mutiny a few days after he was hired, the guy has to be a huge asshole in some way at least as a basketball coach. Even Thibs with the Bulls had the hard nosed grit taskmaster shit, but never ever called out players for a lack of toughness or threw them under the bus. Any big loss, Thibs took responsibility for and Boylen never ever does this. It's always someone else's fault.

Offline Cool, Bad, & Handsome

• KOAB
no one ever respects a tell it like it is kinda leader until boom they in the title game and you realize they was right.

Offline Big Beard Booty Daddy

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
The Knicks scored 140 points, in regulation, last night against Atlanta. Don't look now, but the Knicks are above .500 (!!!!) since their coaching change.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
NOT THE WORST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE ANYMORE!!!

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Am I the only one who's spent the past week expecting every alert from the ESPN app to be announcement of David Stern's passing?

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

Well, I guess that explains why Curry was randomly trending earlier... So, he had nudes of himself, on his phone? But why, tho?

Offline The Art of Rasslin'

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
probably gets a lot of requests in his DMs, needs different dick pics to choose from depending on what's being asked for

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

• KOAB
thanks to twitter i now know steph curry is packing like you'd expect an all-time GOAT too

gonna have to move him up to top 8 player of all-time for sure after todays events

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff

lmao felton

• KOAB
six good weeks gets you on the all decade team huh? a guy who managed to play his way off the clippers before they became good got on this team too wth man

• KOAB
oops I thought that was the all decade 2nd team

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
Future Hall of Famer Tacko Fall might get me to watch the Celtics regularly again.

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • All hail Gritty!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

Well that's interesting.
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

• KOAB
People always thought I was joking but one of the worst rumors around was that Ballmer was somehow gonna find a way to give one of the top 3 free agents from this past offseason like a fourth of team ownership, half the money that comes in from the parking and concession stands, and some so called business opportunities and access to people they would never know.

This is a man who came to win no matter what just look at that hype.

Offline THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
The Jazz traded Dante Exum to the Cavs for Jordan Clarkson
@alfdogg765 on Twitter FOLLOW ME

Offline THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
With DeMarcus Cousins staying healthy enough to finally see postseason action for the Warriors last season, Brandon Knight now possesses one of my favorite stats, most games played without a postseason appearance by an active player, with 431 career games played.  Currently with the Cavs, that streak is bound to continue into next season unless he is traded.

Knight's streak is currently fourth all-time behind:

Tom Van Arsdale - 929 career games over 12 seasons, with Detroit, Cincinnatti Royals/KC-Omaha Kings, Philadelphia, Atlanta and Phoenix.  Oddly enough, the Suns had just made the NBA Finals prior to Van Arsdale joining them for his final season.

Nate Williams - 642 career games over 8 seasons, with Cincinnati Royals/KC-Omaha Kings, New Orleans Jazz, and Golden State.  Williams was the first pick of the first-and-only Supplemental Hardship draft, an underclassmen-only draft which took place on the heels of Spencer Haywood successfully suing the league to be allowed to enter early.  The picks in this draft, which only the Royals, Hawks, Warriors, Bullets, and Lakers took part in, came at the cost of a pick in the following year's draft.  Williams was the second-most successful of the five selections, behind Phil Chenier, who averaged 17 ppg over a 10-year career and won a championship with the 1978 Bullets.

Omri Casspi - 588 career games over 10 seasons with Sacramento, Cleveland, Houston, New Orleans, Minnesota, Golden State, and Memphis.  This is perhaps the most tragic of them all, as Casspi was waived by the eventual champion Warriors in 2018 just six days before the postseason started.

Online Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
  • Sometimes A Friend is Worth A Billion Dollars
Oh damn. Even if Shareef Abdur-Rahim hadn't made that one playoff cameo appearance with the last year the SacKings were decent in the '00s, he would be #2 behind Tom Van Arsdale.

Sidenote: The '75-'76 Phoenix Suns have to be the flukiest/weakest NBA Finals team of all time. It was the last season prior to the ABA merger so talent was spread thin. They were two games under .500 plus they won 32 games the year before and 34 games. So it wasn't a good team in an off season. '81 Rockets are up there but at least they had one of the GOATs in Moses Malone. '99 Knicks is other team that comes to mind but they were a good team during a weird ass season that were finally able to get momentum at the end.

The '76 Suns just stick out to me as a thoroughly mediocre (at best) team that caught fire in the right place in the right time (not to mention Rick Barry had a meltdown that cost the Warriors the Western Conference Finals). And they came fairly close to winning the whole thing

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

Omri Casspi - 588 career games over 10 seasons with Sacramento, Cleveland, Houston, New Orleans, Minnesota, Golden State, and Memphis.  This is perhaps the most tragic of them all, as Casspi was waived by the eventual champion Warriors in 2018 just six days before the postseason started.

He also played 71 games for that Rockets team, but didn't see a minute in the playoffs.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
That 99 Knicks team got hot at the right time.  They were the 8 seed at 27-23.  A few games difference from having homecourt in rd. 1 to being out of the playoffs completely.

It was great because it was a really likeable, fun team and they got to exercise a couple demons by beating the Heat and the Pacers.  But the Finals was such a fait accompli.  I'd never had a team I rooted for make the championship rd. and felt they had zero chance of winning before the series even started, but I did with that team

I'll throw another Spurs opponent in the hat for worst team to make the Finals, the 2007 Cavs.

Online Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
Fact they had LeBron just starting to hit his prime disqualifies them from the very bottom but yeah, I would say that they would definitely lose to the '99 Knicks in a 7 game series. What a trash supporting cast. Like wasn't Boobie Gibson the third best player on that team!?

Online Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
New York Times named Steph Curry as the NBA Player of the 2010s.

I'm, as the late Dusty Rhodes would say, flubbergasted by the decision. I guess I can buy the argument that Steph did more to change the style of play in the NBA in the past decade but that's probably only argument to be made in his favor (but I guess that is a p. important factor) over LeBron. Idk. It should've been Tacko Fall.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
I would for sure have put both LeBron and Durant above Curry, possibly Harden as well.

Online Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
LeBron was a Top 3 player in 8 out of 10 of the Finals during the decade. I don't see how anyone would pick Steph over him. He doesn't even have more championships than LeBron.

https://www.nba.com/all-decade-team-best-players-2010s
Looked up the NBA 2010s All Decade team and first team seems exactly right.

:o in Carmelo making the 2nd team. tbh, I would switch him and Kobe even though Kobe was really only dominant for the first third of the decade or Melo and Dwyane Wade.

Also confused at LaMarcus Aldrige making the team but I guess there weren't a lot of great big men this decade.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
I feel like Kawhi is overvalued for the decade.  Smells like recency bias to me.  Take his achievements and place them at the beginning of the decade and he'd probably be thought of less highly.  I guess the two Finals MVPs weighed heavily.

Online Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
I would almost pick Westbrook over Kawhi for All Decade Team tbh but I think Finals MVPs outweigh regular season MVPs

• KOAB
The man destroyed 3 dynasties in the Spurs, Heat, Warriors. He deserves the spot just for that. Get that 9-31 with 9 turnovers Westbrook bullshit outta here. Get that lose every important game once he can't get to the free throw line a dozen plus times that starts making an NBA game feel like a boreball game in length Harden bullshit outta here.

Offline THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
I'm OK with Kawhi being first team if only because there's no other frontcourt guy whose resume screams "First-Team All-Decade" aside from LeBron and Durant.  His track record is as solid as anyone's.

Online Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
Jeff Green has cleared waivers and is now a free agent.

And I will give whoever is able to tell me which team waived him without looking a lollipop cause even I had to look that up.

Offline THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
LaMarcus Aldridge's career is really overlooked.  Him and Chris Bosh have damn near identical resumes statistically, and Bosh is probably going to the Hall on the first try, but I bet you'd be mostly laughed at if you suggested Aldridge was a HOF'er.  But put his career stats (either total or average) in the comparison logs over at basketball-reference, and you'd probably be stunned at the names that come up alongside his.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

LaMarcus Aldridge is his generation's Antawn Jamison. He has pretty counting stats, but that's all. He hasn't made any significant impact anywhere, or actually made any of his teammates better. He's basically the Reverse Al Horford.

Offline THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
LaMarcus Aldridge is his generation's Antawn Jamison.

EXACTLY the comparison I was thinking of.

Online Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
Yeah. I was gonna say Horford is the Russell to LaMarcus' Wilt in terms of battle of fairly talents 2010s NBA Big Men.

Stats wise, it seems like LaMarcus is way better but if you asked me point blank, who had the more successful career thus far, I'd have to say Big Al. Odd.

Offline THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
With DeMarcus Cousins staying healthy enough to finally see postseason action for the Warriors last season, Brandon Knight now possesses one of my favorite stats, most games played without a postseason appearance by an active player, with 431 career games played.  Currently with the Cavs, that streak is bound to continue into next season unless he is traded.

Knight's streak is currently fourth all-time behind:

Tom Van Arsdale - 929 career games over 12 seasons, with Detroit, Cincinnatti Royals/KC-Omaha Kings, Philadelphia, Atlanta and Phoenix.  Oddly enough, the Suns had just made the NBA Finals prior to Van Arsdale joining them for his final season.

Nate Williams - 642 career games over 8 seasons, with Cincinnati Royals/KC-Omaha Kings, New Orleans Jazz, and Golden State.  Williams was the first pick of the first-and-only Supplemental Hardship draft, an underclassmen-only draft which took place on the heels of Spencer Haywood successfully suing the league to be allowed to enter early.  The picks in this draft, which only the Royals, Hawks, Warriors, Bullets, and Lakers took part in, came at the cost of a pick in the following year's draft.  Williams was the second-most successful of the five selections, behind Phil Chenier, who averaged 17 ppg over a 10-year career and won a championship with the 1978 Bullets.

Gotta backtrack a bit because I somehow forgot EDDY CURRY on this list, with 527 career games...and still managed to collect a ring with the 2012 Heat despite never playing a postseason game!  He also recently came out of retirement to play for the Macau Wolf Warriors.

Online Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
Zach Randolph officially announced his retirement yesterday.

Online Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
https://ziller.substack.com/p/the-kings-werent-even-supposed-to
Good article about The Kings' many phases of incompetency this decade.

RIP SlimCitrus's Kings Fandom