Author Topic: AEW Dynamite 12/4/2019- A Little Bit of the Bubbly in (Urbana-)Champaign  (Read 1286 times)

Description:

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
AEW is live from the University of Illinois campus tomorrow night. We've got Jon Moxley taking on Joey Janela in a match that risks being TOO HOT FOR BASIC CABLE TELEVISION! Plus Sammy Guevara and Santana & Ortiz battle Dustin Rhodes & The Young Bucks in six man tag, Christopher Daniels Vs Pentagon Jr, Ray Fenix Vs Trent? and Kris Statlander Vs Hikaru Shida.

Dang. That's a pretty good lineup on paper. Let's see how AEW rebounds from their first loss in the Wednesday Night Wars (but they won the only important demographic)!

Offline Big Beard Booty Daddy

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
Re: AEW Dynamite 12/4/2019- A Little Bit of the Bubbly in (Urbana-)Champaign
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 02:26:36 AM »
I'm really excited for the women's match, and I hope this means that they are about to sign Kris, if they haven't signed her already.

Daniels vs Penta should be a really good match. The singles push for Trent? continues!

It should be interesting to see how they open the show. If the 20 minute opening promo last week killed the show, expect to see them go back to matches opening, which I'm totally fine with.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • All hail Gritty!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 04:58:21 PM »
https://streamable.com/xp0pv

AEW ad that ran on TV during the NBA game.
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 05:09:27 PM »
TNT controls the commercials actually. And that commercial is terrible

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 02:40:05 AM »
No it's awesome cause it says AEW>NXT.

Also never question the wisdom of Cody:

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 03:28:41 AM »
No it's awesome cause it says AEW>NXT.

Also never question the wisdom of Cody:

I'm wondering if that person meant to ask that about Butcher and the Blade, but put it under the women's match picture, which is stupid since, as Cody said, they've been on before, and Shida has been with the company since DoN. Jim Ross certainly knows who they both are.

Offline geniusMoment

• Trailer Park Supervisor
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 03:56:56 AM »
They should be doing vignettes and stuff to get the women over too though.  Every week they just put them out there cold with no real story outside of the lame top 5 thing.  That isn't a story that will draw in viewers, just fighting someone in the top 5.

They need to have the women talk, and if they can't they need managers who can.  They need to develop personal issues between them.  Strongly show the faces and heels. Etc...

I get you love AEW.   But, if they want to draw more mainstream fans that is the type of stuff they need to do.  They can't just rely on people like you who know a lot of these people from the indies or japan. 

Considering they've lost around half their audience from their debut I think it's pretty obvious they need to change some things up.  And being more storyline driven is at the forefront.
Randy!

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 04:24:45 AM »
I don't disagree that they need more videos. It's done wonders for getting people to care about Dark Order.

One thing is that they have stuff across multiple platforms and YouTube pages, but the fans aren't always following them there. There was video of Statlander saying that she wants Shida after their match to prove herself. That's something that should be shown on TV.

They're also a company that has been around for 9 weeks worth of TV. Not everyone can have a video or promo every week, but they do need more. They need time for characters to develop as well, which is going to take time.

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019, 05:11:55 AM »
I don't get why they don't take some of the BTE videos and put them on the show.

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2019, 09:30:52 AM »

Offline Avid Enthusiast of Warehouses

• Laz
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2019, 11:35:38 AM »
I want Dustin/Guevara on PPV. They had the best chemistry of any pairing in the 6-man, IMO. Didn't care for the usual Bucks schtick, but ar least the stereo Tombstones actually won. Stupid, shortsighted way to end a match in an ongoing program (save shit like that for the blow off or a major moment), but at least it didn't get a kick out.

Nyla Rose can fuck off. Shit worker, shit promo, shit commentator (from Dark last night). If she wasn't trans she wouldn't have a job.

How many times will Trent? pull at his hair in this match?

Offline geniusMoment

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2019, 11:47:57 AM »
Did anyone else have almost no sound for the first 8 minutes or so of the show?
Randy!

• Laz
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2019, 11:56:22 AM »
It came in and out, but it wasn't ever silent on my end.

Decent match, but Trent? is somebody you can tell really learned how to work in the WWE system, good and bad.

It's still so amazing to me that Cody went from a popular midcard lifer to a forgettable indie guy to a legitimate superstar in the span of a few years. He's so goddamn good when he's live with a mic.

• Laz
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2019, 12:11:44 PM »
Dark Order promo was...just as stupid as everything but that first infomercial. They really should have kept the focus on making it a Scientology style thing instead of this "dying days of TNA" shit.

Nyla Rose is shit. Shit promo, shit worker.

• Laz
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2019, 12:21:56 PM »
1. Jericho being amazing isn't news to anyone, but JERICHO IS AMAZING.

2. Jurassic Express has the best AEW theme.

3. Marko reminds me of Rory Culkin in the face.

4. LUCHASAURUS IS JERRY LYNN'S SUPERSIZED CLONE.

Offline geniusMoment

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2019, 12:26:50 PM »
The Nightmare Collective?  This is so fucking stupid.  Between this and the dumbass Dark Order promo I'm real close to giving up on AEW
Randy!

• Laz
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2019, 12:33:22 PM »
Seriously, fuck everybody. Marko Stunt leaning into being an ineffective little child is perfect. Nobody takes him seriously and they 100% shouldn't, and he seems like a kid who's just super into taking bumps and doing flippy shit. Hating him is silly when there are worse talents on even this roster.

Jungle Jack and Jericho is going to be insanely fun.

Statlander and Shida are fucking awesome. This is what I want more of all around, just some really snug looking shit, even if it's not the most beautiful or crisply executed.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2019, 12:35:29 PM »
Fuck, i loved Statlander vs Shida. And the upset was fantastic. The post match stuff, not so much.

Jericho is fucking gold, and has helped make more people in 10 weeks than WWE has made in the past 10 years.

So far a much better show than last week, minus the Brandi shit. Cody's promo was great, too.

• Laz
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2019, 12:36:07 PM »
OHHHH FUUUUUUCK

KONG

FUCKING KONG

AND FUCKING STATLANDER

• Admin
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2019, 12:39:36 PM »
This episode isn't good and it's starting to become time to question if anyone in charge of booking has the brain to run a good wrestling promotion.

Anyone who would book a cold debut tag team against Cody and the production jobber is a legitimate fucking moron. If Vince booked two cult deals on his show everyone would be endlessly shitting on him. The disconnect from one segment to the next is too much sometimes.

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

• Laz
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2019, 12:39:39 PM »
...uuuuugggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh this is shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit and a huge waste of the Kong/Statlander staredown. Brandi is fucking awful.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2019, 12:44:14 PM »
This episode isn't good and it's starting to become time to question if anyone in charge of booking has the brain to run a good wrestling promotion.

Anyone who would book a cold debut tag team against Cody and the production jobber is a legitimate fucking moron. If Vince booked two cult deals on his show everyone would be endlessly shitting on him. The disconnect from one segment to the next is too much sometimes.

Cody said they could pick his partner. Why not pick one of the worst guys on the roster? Are they supposed to pick someone good?

• Admin
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2019, 12:48:19 PM »

Cody said they could pick his partner. Why not pick one of the worst guys on the roster? Are they supposed to pick someone good?

The only way to answer this is that they shouldn't have booked that.

Offline geniusMoment

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2019, 12:49:08 PM »
So we have Dark Order, Nightmare Collective and Butcher, Blade and The Bunny on the same show?

Unless this all comes together and is a stable led by Jake Roberts it's poor booking.
Randy!

• Laz
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2019, 12:54:26 PM »
It could work if it wasn't so over produced. Cut to the Butcher and the Blade and the Bunny in an alley or the corner of a smoky pub or something, just a grimy feel to it instead of that TNA shit.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2019, 12:54:57 PM »

It's logical booking. Cody wants his revenge against the team that jumped him last week, and doesn't care how he gets it, even if the stipulation doesn't favor him. There's really nothing wrong with the idea.

• Admin
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2019, 12:55:58 PM »

It's logical booking. Cody wants his revenge against the team that jumped him last week, and doesn't care how he gets it, even if the stipulation doesn't favor him. There's really nothing wrong with the idea.

There's definitely something wrong with the idea when the company is pushing the importance of won-loss records.

• Laz
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2019, 12:57:12 PM »
Cody can't challenge for the title, so why would he care about rankings?

• Admin
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2019, 12:57:43 PM »
Cody can't challenge for the title, so why would he care about rankings?

That's a fair point.

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2019, 01:00:26 PM »
This episode was worse than last week. Mox/Jericho feud is a bright spot but the creative is not good here overall.

Offline geniusMoment

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2019, 01:04:25 PM »
It feels like they're just throwing random shit against the wall.

I'll say it again.  Having so many EVPs isn't working.  You need an overall booker with an overall vision for a show.  Each segment shouldn't be independent, but should flow into each other.  And you shouldn't have similar storylines that don't connect (2 cult angles).  Just basic booking 101 stuff.

This company needs a "come to jesus" meeting.
Randy!

Offline geniusMoment

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2019, 01:23:04 PM »
The best thing about the show was how they booked Moxley.  Good clean win, and the post match with Jericho turning the tables on him was good simple booking.

And I'd love to see Sammy work a 6 month program with Dustin.  Have Dustin win the first couple of matches before it ultimately culminates at a ppv where Sammy finally gets the win and gets put over big.
Randy!

• Laz
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2019, 01:28:20 PM »
There is such a clear divide in the roster hierarchy, making shows like this and last week (where the lower/mid was the primary focus) stand out after a run of star-studded episodes surrounding Full Gear.

I'm not saying the answer is to give even more time to the lower card or making it entirely about the handful of stars they have all the time, but there does need to be at least one final say on creative to plot out each week's show. Find a better balance.

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2019, 01:34:23 PM »
I would have made the six man the main event and had the Inner Circle go over.

• Admin
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2019, 01:37:11 PM »
Wouldn't have done that as then the Young Bucks would have a 7-6 W/L record. There are positives and negatives to keeping track of that number and that's a big negative. They've been doing way too many jobs.

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2019, 02:06:01 PM »
It's supposed to reset in January. Also I think the heel faction should be kept hot till they lose at the next big show.

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2019, 02:27:01 PM »
They're also a company that has been around for 9 weeks worth of TV. Not everyone can have a video or promo every week, but they do need more. They need time for characters to develop as well, which is going to take time.

Did you watch NXT tonight? They had a bunch of vignettes putting over talent. AEW has the same amount of time every week - do something with it.

DTF

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2019, 02:32:14 PM »
Also, damn AEW is bad.

DTF

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Piranhas are a very tricky species.
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2019, 02:37:59 PM »
Skunt still fucking sucks and is an albatross around Jungle Jack's neck. To remotely think otherwise is selective blindness. I don't even care if he's the next Rey Mysterio.

Jericho is the greatest.

Show was mostly mediocre and unless Jericho or Mox is involved, it feels like not much matters. Cody's got nothing really left for me because he is literally irrelevant to the title scene and his hook is gone, especially with the wins and losses thing. Who in their right mind would associate with him, then? I really like that MJF is being pushed so hard, though. Not because of who he is, but because it says they're thinking long term. Show was still just there.

Edit: I just want to be an asshole and point out I brought up vignettes and shit like that but was told in no uncertain terms that the show was catering to an existing base who already know who these guys are, despite being on national television.

Offline Tino Standard

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2019, 03:10:46 PM »
There were way too many key players not on tonight. Omega, MJF, Hangman, Darby, Scorpio and Kazarian, Riho, Private Party, Pac, Britt Baker... I know AEW is trying to get more talent over, but that can’t happen.

• Admin
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2019, 05:34:31 PM »
First thing I want to say is that at least it isn't at WWE level bad yet or I'd turn it off. What we seem to have here is a rather poorly booked company once you get past the top of the card, but they good wrestling.

There were way too many key players not on tonight. Omega, MJF, Hangman, Darby, Scorpio and Kazarian, Riho, Private Party, Pac, Britt Baker... I know AEW is trying to get more talent over, but that can’t happen.

I'm glad someone else thinks that it's weird for MJF to win a two week long Lord of the Ring type deal and not show up at all the next week. Riho hasn't been on in weeks. The show is booked pretty poorly as a whole. It's a different kind of poor than WWE which is outright garbage. But that doesn't make it good because it isn't WWE. This is more of the sort where all the pieces are there, almost everyone on the show is a fresh act, and I can't understand why some of these things are being done.

AEW Dark has about half the audience that Dynamite has, but Omega has had more singles matches on Dark than the main show. This doesn't make any sense to me. In addition the audience for Dark has halved over the course of the last month or so. They have a chance to catch people and hook them in with their product but they're totally blowing it.

There is another issue that I was thinking about earlier when Janela lost to Mox, and it's that while he should be losing a match to Moxley, these are the guys who have extremely minimal exposure in this country and AEW is counting on making them stars. They have all been jobbed out.  Those W/L records are a real bitch because they make it easy to see where they're fucking up and why they aren't retaining viewers. They also factually reinforce some of the things that I think are a problem with this show. That they booked so many good tag teams to have a WWE like .500 record is absolutely incredible. Pentagon Jr. is 5-6 and Rey Fenix is 6-5. Think about that for a moment because that's everything that I think a wrestling booker should never do when you have talent like that at your disposal.

You also have stuff like this:

Jungle Boy: 0-8
Darby Allin: 4-4-1
Hangman Page: 5-6 while being pushed constantly
Joey Janela: 2-4
Luchasaurus: 1-3
Sammy Guevara: 3-4

I'm sure I'm not the only one who sees the issue with all that. The women's division is in some ways even worse because there are a lot of people who have only worked one or two matches. It’s hard to form an opinion of them at all. Anyway, this kind of thing is actually really bad in the sense that their records come on screen before every single match and the general audience can see that the result of the match is predictable, but even worse is the projection that the wrestlers aren't of value because they don't win matches. There are some extremely talented people in there who are constantly doing jobs to people who are more experienced in the business than they are. That reeks of WWE if I'm being honest. You can't push a company as being a younger alternative when the only young singles guy with a solid record is MJF with a 3-1 record. And yep, I'm getting stuck on the fucking records because they made a big deal about the fucking records. I don't want to see young guys in another promotion being booked the exact same way as Humberto Carrillo.

There's also the existential question of whether or not they can exist if they're catering to an audience of 200,000 people who will willfully enjoy anything that isn't WWE even when it doesn't make sense. Judging by the reaction to the debuts last week? That number might be even smaller because theoretically you have maybe 2 or 3 thousand people in the entire world who even knew who those two guys were and that's how they introduced them.

• Admin
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2019, 06:08:43 PM »
Before I hit the hay I should say that I don’t have an answer for who should be the jobbers of this promotion (except for Shawn Spears) but I do know from years of watching WWE that if a young talent is presented as a loser for too long and especially when they first get on TV, most fans (people that carry the wrestling company with TV ratings even though they don’t care as much as people here) are always going to see that person as a loser. The way people get it up for NXT debuts is definitive proof of this. Before Vince gets a hold of them, people love all those muthafucks. Even the ones who suck.

What I see is that guys like Guevara, Penta, Fenix, and Jungle Boy should be pushed in that moment before people make their mind up about them. And I’m not getting that and it’s souring me very quickly on this show. At least two of those won tonight even though one of the matches was abysmal. Inner Circle jobber is also not a push btw.

Instead they have chosen to push people like Best Friends. Like fuck those two dudes they couldn’t draw a fly to shit in any wrestling company. Now or ever.

Offline Tino Standard

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2019, 12:56:01 AM »
I’d use Dark to slide in a few jobber matches and help some of these guys boost their records a bit.

Offline alkeiper

• Welcoming our new insect overlords
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2019, 04:28:18 AM »
I'm sure I'm not the only one who sees the issue with all that. The women's division is in some ways even worse because there are a lot of people who have only worked one or two matches. It’s hard to form an opinion of them at all. Anyway, this kind of thing is actually really bad in the sense that their records come on screen before every single match and the general audience can see that the result of the match is predictable, but even worse is the projection that the wrestlers aren't of value because they don't win matches. There are some extremely talented people in there who are constantly doing jobs to people who are more experienced in the business than they are. That reeks of WWE if I'm being honest. You can't push a company as being a younger alternative when the only young singles guy with a solid record is MJF with a 3-1 record. And yep, I'm getting stuck on the fucking records because they made a big deal about the fucking records. I don't want to see young guys in another promotion being booked the exact same way as Humberto Carrillo.

A famous story referenced in promoter Jack Pfefer's Wikipedia page...

"Although fans had long suspected that pro wrestling was worked, Pfefer had introduced a feeling of cynicism among the mainstream press that they were being used as promotional “chumps” by Curley and his associates; and in a now-famous headline, the November 19, 1934 New York Daily News covered an impending Jim Londos vs. Everett Marshall bout by proclaiming, "Londos and Marshall meet at Garden tonight for 26th time. Score - Londos 26, Marshall 0."

• Admin
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2019, 04:41:32 AM »

WTF

This is the kind of thing that should always be on TV. It isn’t even on their YouTube page for fucks sake.

Offline Hawk 34

• Death Pool Winner
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2019, 04:56:32 AM »
Keep pandering to a dwindling fan base.   It’s a company conditioned to believe the world lives in Twitter.

Offline Hawk 34

• Death Pool Winner
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2019, 04:58:20 AM »
WWE obviously exploits social media to a extreme degree but the foundation of their product, for better or for worst is always presented within the structure of their actual television product where the vast majority of their audience consumes the product.

Online Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2019, 05:01:10 AM »
More like All Elitist Chatroom wrestling

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2019, 05:02:03 AM »
I just watched last night's episode. I don't think it was nearly as bad as the lot of you. Lots of room for improvement but I thought the show overall was decent. Yeah, they should've flipped the place of the opener and the main event. And there are way too many heel cult stables. I don't know if there needs to be one let alone three.

It also feels like they're biding their time between Full Gear and whatever their next big show is. I think AEW really backed themselves into a corner with this "wins and losses matter" stuff. Cause there's no way you can justify a guy who literally has won no matches getting a World Title shot with a straight face.

I think my problem with AEW booking so far is that it's way too selfless and thinks that the indy/ROH/old territory mindset will translate to a big TV show. Did The Young Bucks putting over Private Party do anything for them? Has Private Party even won a match since then? It just feels like no one really matters except for Jericho and Moxley. And now we're building to a match that quite frankly wasn't really all that exciting three years ago (although I'm sure it'll be better without WWE's paws on it).

I thought Cody's promo was great and I'm still looking forward to seeing what direction his angle with MJF goes. However, him throwing all of his rich possessions just seems very heelish for a guy who is supposed to a peoples hero babyface. But I guess his dad did the same thing sometimes.

That being said, everyone saying that this company needs to have a Come to Jesus moments needs to take a deep breathe. We're 10 weeks into the show. At this point in RAW's history, Rob Bartlett was still in the commentary booth. At this point in Nitro's history, Hulk Hogan was walking around with a sword, talking about beheading the Dungeon of Doom. With very rare exception, stars aren't made in 10 weeks. I still think the batting average is very solid and I think once the television production/writing aspect starts catching up with the workrate aspect, things will get cooking.

• Laz
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2019, 05:39:10 AM »
More like All Elitist Chatroom wrestling
I'd say more like a dysfunctional e-fed, personally. Minus the undeserved egos (so far).