Author Topic: Xmas Specials: Then, now, forever.  (Read 256 times)

Description:

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
Xmas Specials: Then, now, forever.
« on: December 03, 2019, 03:11:33 AM »
My co-workers and I get together every other week and watch some B-movie, drink and talk dumb.  We try and watch seasonally appropriate stuff when possible.  Today we sat through the Star Wars Xmas special, which was every bit as charmless as its rep.  Then we closed out with Pee Wee's Playhouse Xmas special.  Now that was a trip!
So WEIRD. It has a lot of "gay" icons like Cher, KD Lang, and such.  Grace Jones shows up in a plastic shirt that presses against her form and leaves little to the imagination on the back half.  Pee Wee has 2 buff construction workers (one shirtless) working in one corner. 
While giving a Xmas list he says something like he wants one of those dolls you can leave gooey inside.  He mentions pee in the snow.    Plus old ladies in skimpy skirts, a nymph who wants to "make out" with the whole cast, and even a slightly uncomfortable bit where Pee Wee butchers Spanish.  And if you want subtle uncomfortableness, a family of Jewish Dinosaurs celebrate getting gold. 

So what do you always try and watch during the Holidays?  National Lampoon (great until the end), Charlie Brown, maybe something rare and nostalgic like Pac-man's 1982 cartoon?

Offline TheSSNintendo

Re: Xmas Specials: Then, now, forever.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 08:42:15 AM »
The Muppet Family Christmas has always been a favorite of mine.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 11:20:28 PM »
I'm a sucker for the Rankin-Bass specials, Frosty the Snowman cartoon, and The Grinch cartoon. I actually watched the Christmas Carol variation yesterday of the cartoon Nature Cat just because it was a CC story. Speaking of which, the Patrick Stewart version that often airs on TNT is an absolute staple of the season for me to watch.

I've also enjoyed random Hallmark-esque Holiday movies including one called Christmas Do-Over starring Jay Mohr from 2006.

Offline Lord of The Curry

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 01:37:15 AM »
- Die Hard
- Home Alone 1 and 2
- Muppet Family Christmas
- Muppet Christmas Carol (Michael Caine is the best Scrooge ever, motherfuck Alastair Sims).

Offline Fall of Epic

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 02:14:32 AM »
- Jingle All the Way
- "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" Christmas special
- "Rugrats" Christmas special

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 03:12:36 AM »
It warms my heart to see the "Muppet Family Xmas" mentioned several times.

When VCR's were still the norm I watched "Xmas Eve on Sesame Street" every year too.  It's an old special as Mr. Hooper is still alive.

Offline Grit, Toughness, Soul, & Spirit

• brock lock
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 03:33:58 AM »
That Pee Wee special for me. It's very progressive for the time (I think Pee Wee, Santa, and Franky Avalon are the only white men featured in the show) and despite some offputting moments like the Jewish Dinosaurs they did a great job representing the other Holiday celebrations besides Christmas. It does that while retaining the weird Pee Wee vibe and delivering some funny jokes. On that note, I love the Mr. Bean Christmas Special as well.

Other than that, the obvious ones like Home Alone, Christmas Vacation, Simpsons Roasting Over An Open Fire and Marge Be Not Proud, A Very Sunny Christmas, Muppet Family Christmas and A Muppet Christmas Carol, and various Rankin and Bass stuff. I love the Christmas episodes of Married With Children, King Of The Hill, and Frasier. Hey Arnold also had a very good and depressing Christmas episode.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 12:52:04 PM »

Here's a new one for me to hunt down....

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2019, 12:59:58 PM »
Trailer Park Boys X-Mas Special, Home Alone, Lampoon Vacation, Christmas Story.  Sometimes Home Alone 2.  Maybe some South Park or Simpsons Christmas episodes.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2019, 01:01:48 PM »
I still love A Christmas Story, even though it's been overexposed to hell.  I just watch it once a year and move on. 

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2019, 10:52:06 PM »
I saw the 1978 Sesame Street Christmas special on YouTube but that was like 5-10 years back so it may not be on there anymore. Thing I remember most about it is it opens with Big Bird ice skating to "Feliz Navidad".

When it comes to forgotten Muppet Christmas specials, it's all about the motherhuggin Muppet Family Christmas. Also I love The Christmas Toy, which Toy Story kind of stole the plot from.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Piranhas are a very tricky species.
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2019, 02:21:10 AM »
Blackadder.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2019, 05:55:07 AM »
Don't watch it too often but also a big fan of the Garfield Christmas Special too.

Offline Spaceman Spiff 🚀

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2019, 12:16:23 PM »
When it comes to forgotten Muppet Christmas specials, it's all about the motherhuggin Muppet Family Christmas Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas.

Offline alkeiper

• Welcoming our new insect overlords
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2019, 04:49:24 AM »
I think I bought the 1978 Sesame Street Christmas at Five Below a couple years ago. Also love Emmett Otter's Jug Band Christmas. And "Merry Christmas, Mr. Bean" is fun.