Author Topic: The Worst Movies of the 2010's  (Read 682 times)

Description: what it says on the tin

Offline Gary

• Bionic Cock
  • CXF Writer
The Worst Movies of the 2010's
« on: December 14, 2019, 11:04:02 AM »
I figured sooner or later somebody might make a "Best of the 2010's", but since it hasn't yet (and because honestly, I find it harder to rank the things I tend to enjoy), I figured that I might as well start a thread about the worst (or most derided) films of the closing decade. I've actually meant to make this thread in November, but after actually thinking about it for a while (because I need to get a life), here are a few of the movies that stick out for me. Oh, and yes I have seen these.

-Mortdecai-Not related to the WWE wrestler from the 2000's, this movie has Johnny Depp in a goofy mustache, a bunch of other slumming actors (Jeff Goldblum, Gwenneth Paltrow and Ewan McGregor for example) and nothing good. Also, the studio behind it (Lionsgate) actually believed this not only would be a hit, but that they would have a big franchise out of it. At least we got a terrible ad campaign out of it.

-The Book of Henry-There's plenty wrong with this (wanna see Sarah Silverman try to make out with a little boy? Here ya go!) but the twist-the actual book-
Spoiler: show
in which it turns out Henry had an elaborate plan to kill an abusive neighbor
-really sticks out.
How is nobody bothered by a little boy planning to commit murder, even if the intended victim is a monster?

-Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom-I didn't particularly care for "Jurassic World", and I know this one has fans, but I for the life of me can't understand how anybody could enjoy this. I can (and do) enjoy plenty of stupid movies, but nothing has the right to be this dumb. Its the kind of thing that I found more insultingly stupid, though the final line in the movie got a huge (unintended) laugh out of me.

-Chappie-This has actually become something of a cult favorite, but not for me, as the horrible direction, annoying characters, and what ultimately amounts to what could've been a cool idea (a mix of "RoboCop" and anime influences) done in the worst way imaginable. The kind of thing that has a following, and said following baffles me. Of all the things to say "no it's actually good", people choose this as a mountain to die on.

-Taken 3-In hindsight, I'm mostly glad that the "Luc Besson presents" action phase seems to have died out, and I'm convinced it was this movie in particular that killed it. Also, this may be the worst edited action movie I've ever seen. Even the most poorly put together exploitation action movie is more convincing and less likely to give me a headache.

So there are a few of them. So please, give me your choices, agree (or disagree) with one another, explain why you think these movies are among the worst of the decade, and please have a fun time.

"go ahead. keep screaming "Shut The Fuck Up " at me. it only makes my opinions Worse"

Online Winter Epicland

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
Re: The Worst Movies of the 2010's
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 11:36:27 AM »
In terms of big budget flicks, I'm going to throw Alice in Wonderland in there. So, so bad.

Offline strummer

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 04:43:00 PM »
Hangover 3  has to be up there, right? I know the case can be made that none of Todd Phillips films have held up but that one is absolutely horrendous

The HappyTime Murders probably would have killed a few careers in a different era but nobody gives a shit about comedy anymore

The Cobbler had such an absurd premise and tried to poignant and maudlin like a Capra film.

Serenity for the ridiculous twist revealed

Oh and what about Aloha?  How can a film have that cast and director and be so terrible?

Offline Joyful & Soyful

• brock lock
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 06:42:13 PM »
My choice no one would care about is Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich. The Puppet Master franchise is bottom tier to begin with, but this movie goes to the most vile level by changing their backstory from being against Nazis to being Nazis. The movie tries to go all Troma with the so crass it's "funny" vibe, but the whole movie has this Alt-Right 4chan vibe to it complete with a Pepe puppet showing up and puppet based on a money loving Jewish stereotype. Nearly all the violence is against people of color, the lgbtq community, or women as well. And it might be the most mean spirited movie I've ever seen. There's controversy over the writer S. Craig Zahler who has directed some critically acclaimed movies like Bone Tomahawk and Brawl In Cell Block 99. All his movies have problematic things in it especially towards women and minorities, but after writing this script it's clear that while he probably claims he was making a 70s exploitation "homage", he has some extremely racist thoughts towards non white men.

Probably the movie that made me the angriest this decade. The Puppet Master franchise is very very bad, but most of the series had a fun campy vibe to them. This movie was trying so hard to stick it to Woke culture.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 12:03:32 AM »
Here are some votes from me.

A Serbian Film: Having actually watched it... duh. It's one of only 3 movies (Superbabies 2 & Disaster Movie) which I've ever given 1 star too.

Baywatch: The TV Show was no high point of artistic integrity but it was dumb, campy fun and an excuse for sexy people to go around in lifeguard outfits. Also David Hasselhoff. This movie was so bad from the acting to the 'plot' forced in to the laughable excuse for comedy. Really one of the worst movies I watched all decade.

Legion: This movie has its fans but I just could not get into it at all and didn't like anything about it. For the cast it had, it could've been so much better with a stronger script and better direction.

Sharknado 5: Global Swarming & The Last Sharknado: It's About Time: Much like the above Puppet Master series, I thought this entire series was dumb guilty fun but these two movies were so dreadful even for a series that isn't necessarily good anyways. These two were near unwatchable for me.

Offline fazzle

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 12:05:39 AM »
Hangover 3  has to be up there, right? I know the case can be made that none of Todd Phillips films have held up but that one is absolutely horrendous

I'm not sure which is worse, Hangover 3 or Hangover 2.   Hangover 2 had some funny moments but it's literally the exact same movie as the first one.   Meanwhile Hangover 3 at least went in a new direction, but it forgot it was supposed to be funny.

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 12:13:31 AM »

I'm not sure which is worse, Hangover 3 or Hangover 2.   Hangover 2 had some funny moments but it's literally the exact same movie as the first one.   Meanwhile Hangover 3 at least went in a new direction, but it forgot it was supposed to be funny.

Hangover 2 being a lesser copy/paste of the first movie kept me from ever watching 3.

Offline Joyful & Soyful

• brock lock
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2019, 01:47:59 AM »
2 is probably worse because of how transphobic and mean spirited it is, but all three of those movies bleed together and are pretty awful.

A lot of my other worst movies of the decade are awful comedy sequels that happen 10-20 years after the first one so Zoolander 2, Bad Santa 2, Dumb And Dumber To, and Super Troopers 2.

Offline Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2019, 02:15:23 AM »
I'll die on the Chappie hill, Gary. It's weak but has enough good going for it, and I see it being heralded as a classic in the next 10 years. More than the bulk of the capeshit, anyway.

My worst of the decade:
Annabelle: Creation
I fell asleep about 45 minutes in and woke up with 10 minutes left. I didn't miss anything. Anthony Lapaglia sleepwalking through generic horror tropes that we've seen before from this very franchise. At least the first has one scene which is legitimately good, dare I say brilliant, but this was shit.

A Quiet Place
So much great build only for the ending to completely ignore literally e everything done prior. I walked out hating John Krasinski even more than I already did and wishing Emily Blunt said no.

The Bye Bye Man
In the running for the worst movie I've ever seen. The cold open is actually fantastic, setting up what could be a great display of memetic terror and exploring how folklore can be developed. It dies and withers within seconds of the opening title. I've seen Syfy originals with better acting and direction. I've seen shot-on-VHS shitfests with more convincing performances. I've read stories written by 8 year olds with greater respect to plot and pacing. Fuck this movie.

Offline strummer

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2019, 03:17:47 AM »

I didn't say 2 because I remember some people here thinking it was kinda funny. Everyone agreed 3 was terrible. Like I mentioned you could make the case none of Todd Phillips comedies hold up at all but I still kinda like the first one

Offline Joyful & Soyful

• brock lock
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2019, 03:19:48 AM »
The Bye Bye Man is a great choice. I find it more hilariously bad than offensively bad. The lead actor, that was around 32 or 33 when they were filming but playing a teen here, gave one of the worst performances I've ever seen. The choice to give the Bye Bye Man a Bye Bye Dog cracks me up just thinking about it.

Speaking of horror, I absolutely hate the Nightmare on Elm Street remake. The choice to make Freddy a pedo took away any enjoyment you could have and 95% of the movie from the dialogue to the kills is just recycled from other movies in the series.

Serenity also deserves a mention.

Offline The Art of Rasslin'

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2019, 03:52:23 AM »
2 is probably worse because of how transphobic and mean spirited it is, but all three of those movies bleed together and are pretty awful.

if i weren't so stoned i'd link the dama defence

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

Offline The Art of Rasslin'

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2019, 03:53:15 AM »
THROWBACK

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
  • Sometimes A Friend is Worth A Billion Dollars
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2019, 03:58:31 AM »
Remember when everyone thought Bill Clinton was going to make a cameo in The Hangover Part II? IIRC, he did actually visit the set.

Offline Gary

• Bionic Cock
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2019, 05:00:59 AM »
If we could talk things that came out this year, then the "Hellboy" reboot would count for me this year. Everything about it infuriated me, and it's possibly the worst Superhero movie I've ever seen (and yes, I saw "Dark Phoenix", which certainly deserves honorable mention as far as awful movies from this decade.) Another one from three year ago I'd count is "Suicide Squad." I mean, BvS is also terrible, but it's at least ambitious and the Wonder Woman kicking ass was fun. SS is just the lamest, studio mandated horseshit imaginable, with the worst Joker ever in Jared Leto, who I already can't stand. Of those two, I'd rather watch something that is trying (and failing) to do something over whatever SS is (though I'd rather not revisit either.)

Re to two mentions: "Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich"-you know, I'm usually a big fan of Zahler, even with the questionable stuff in his films and books. I just like the idea of a director who isn't interested in making movie that will have mass appeal and whatnot. However, even that movie made me say to myself "something is very wrong here", and it ultimately feels like it's him trying to troll his audience and make you feel uncomfortable in the worst way. Thankfully, his next movie is apparently going to be very different (it's a PG rated collaboration with the Jim Henson company) so who knows.

"Bye Bye Man"-holy shit, that thing goes from "really boring" to "this is unintentionally hilarious" at various intervals. The terrible CG dogs, the fact that people regularly break the "don't think it, don't say it" rule, the acting and the use of "Bye Bye Love" at the end-my God that movie.

"go ahead. keep screaming "Shut The Fuck Up " at me. it only makes my opinions Worse"

Offline strummer

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2019, 05:05:25 AM »
The Bye Bye Man is a great choice. I find it more hilariously bad than offensively bad. The lead actor, that was around 32 or 33 when they were filming but playing a teen here, gave one of the worst performances I've ever seen. The choice to give the Bye Bye Man a Bye Bye Dog cracks me up just thinking about it.

Speaking of horror, I absolutely hate the Nightmare on Elm Street remake. The choice to make Freddy a pedo took away any fun you could have and 95% of the movie from the dialogue to the kills is just recycled from other movies in the series.

I already mentioned Serenity!  ;)

Redjed's review of that had me howling!

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
    • RedJed's Rasslin' Rants - Only on YouTube! The latest in the wild and wacky world of pro wrestling!!
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2019, 05:39:28 AM »

Speaking of horror, I absolutely hate the Nightmare on Elm Street remake. The choice to make Freddy a pedo took away any fun you could have and 95% of the movie from the dialogue to the kills is just recycled from other movies in the series.

I already mentioned Serenity!  ;)

Redjed's review of that had me howling!

You're welcome!

I echo the thoughts on the Elm Street remake. Was that in the 2010s? If so, that was likely the worst reboot of the last decade. However....

I ended up going to the Black Christmas remake this weekend and HOLY FUCK THIS WAS TURRRRIBLE!

I haven't walked out of a film since Year One (i think that was a 2000s decade film?) but I couldn't contain myself and left around the halfway point. I really was blown away at the sheer what in the fucking hell were they thinking with this reboot/reminaging.

There was basically no connection to the original film or the reboot from 06 (or pseudo sequel, whatever it was) and the storyline presented was so fucking preposterous and out there that it wasn't just that this didn't honor anything Black Christmas whatsoever, but that the new story was absolutely off the rails. It had large focuses on seemingly a nod to the Me Too movement, white fragility a bit, and in general more of a focus on a women's movement getting revenge on evil alpha males. None of this context was in the other films, and from the part I got to, there was no reference of someone inside the house harrassing them, etc. That point to me was what made Black Christmas...the slasher style killer hiding inside the house.

Anyhow, I gave this a half hour to 40 minutes time to let something flesh out, but by that point there wasn't much of a main idea being presented as an engaging direction to put it mildly. I've seen some hard to follow narratives too, but this one was so clusterfucked that I was having issues decifering who was characters being referenced by name and I was certainly confused why this and that kind of shit was even happening, not in a "I'm interested to see where these plot points go" but more of a "is this a plot point or just some hamfisted bullshit?"

And then to boot, you had these characters all pretty much universally unlikable by my eyes, even the main character which was supposed to be in a sympathetic role that came off more like she was on heavy sedation for most of the first half with reactions that were kind of strange in the way she was portrayed. I blame partially the editing here and the directing style. I would venture to guess this was a rushed production.

And this one may be the definition of PG-13 horror needing to seriously get the fuck out. Felt so heavily edited in that aspect. I just didn't understand the attempt to water this down so much that it became seriously unwatchable but this had that going for it.

Did I say enough that this one REALLY FUCKIN SUCKED??!!!!

Offline alkeiper

• Welcoming our new insect overlords
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2019, 04:21:18 AM »
Trolls wasn't the worst film by any objective standard, but it was the one film clearly designed with my irritation in mind.

Offline Joyful & Soyful

• brock lock
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2019, 02:19:39 AM »
It sounds like Cats is making a last minute run to claim the worst movie of the decade title.

Offline Gary

• Bionic Cock
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2019, 05:10:43 AM »
"Creature" is another awful one that is one of the biggest bombs in horror history, and also even worse than you could imagine. Especially when it's a horror movie that hides many of the kills and has
the entire climactic battle off screen.
. Such an awful, lazy movie.

Another terrible horror movie worth mentioning is "The Devil Inside", which is probably the worst found footage movie I've ever seen, and had a conclusion that made the audience I was with really pissed off.

It sounds like Cats is making a last minute run to claim the worst movie of the decade title.
I would actually see this if I were under the heavy influence of drugs.

Offline Gary

• Bionic Cock
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2019, 07:36:19 AM »

Ya know, on second thought...

Offline CookieMueller

• Forever blowing bubbles
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2019, 01:56:23 PM »
Cats is so bad it's a must-see. Maybe not in theaters (although...) but please go out of your way to see this.

Anyway, Serenity was the movie that jumped out the most in my mind when I was thinking of bad movies from this decade. The Snowman as well.

Offline Joyful & Soyful

• brock lock
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2019, 04:58:51 PM »
The Snowman is another great choice that I forgot about because it was so boring.

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2019, 05:00:04 PM »

Ya know, on second thought...

I can't wait to watch this. Hopefully in the next two weeks.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Smues

• Admin
  • Smuesicide
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2019, 02:21:13 AM »
I may think of more later, but The Circle and Collateral Beauty were awful irredeemable pieces of shit. I'm not sure which one is worse, though probably Collateral Beauty. The Circle made me way more angry (and made me exclaim THE FUCK WAS THAT? when the credits rolled) but Collateral Beauty is way more manipulative, and was COMPLETELY mismarketed. And had I not already known going in what the real plot was and then sat through that shit I would have burned the theatre down. I got very little joy at the end of 2016 (continuing through today) but watching a movie with such an Oscar-baity trailer be a complete trainwreck and go down in flames did bring a smile to my face.
I want Jimmy Fallon to be dead. That doesn't make me a bad person.

Offline Cool, Bad, & Handsome

• KOAB
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2019, 08:06:47 AM »
Collateral Beauty is amazing to me for the simple fact it seems like a joke amongst the rest of the cast while Will Smith is going at it like this is the film that might get him an Oscar...

I had to find some way to make it interesting that's how bad it is.

Offline Gary

• Bionic Cock
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2019, 06:07:53 AM »
The Snowman is another great choice that I forgot about because it was so boring.

Harry Hole. The lead character is named Harry Hole.

Collateral Beauty is amazing to me for the simple fact it seems like a joke amongst the rest of the cast while Will Smith is going at it like this is the film that might get him an Oscar...

I had to find some way to make it interesting that's how bad it is.
Also worthy of mention as far as "bad movies with Will Smith are concerned is "Winter's Tale", which I only remember because he plays Lucifer.

I also wanna mention "Hangover 2", but only because of Damaramu having a meltdown because he was the only guy who enjoyed it.

Offline Smues

• Admin
  • Smuesicide
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2019, 10:00:21 AM »
Winter's Tale absolutely qualifies as a bad movie, but I wouldn't put it near the top of any worst list because it's such a wonderful clusterfuck of WTF scenes.
I want Jimmy Fallon to be dead. That doesn't make me a bad person.

Offline Gary

• Bionic Cock
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2020, 04:02:47 AM »
Some (late) replies, updates and whatnot.

Legion: This movie has its fans but I just could not get into it at all and didn't like anything about it. For the cast it had, it could've been so much better with a stronger script and better direction.

"Legion" feels like Hollywood got some fan fiction writers who aren't constantly horny to write an original screen. The end result feels like they tried to make an adaptation of a crossover between "The Matrix", the "Resident Evil" movies, the "Dawn of the Dead" remake and "Doom".

Oh man, could we actually start a thread for the worst 2010s films? I'd have the put the enormously racist Gods of Egypt in the top 10 somewhere.
anything.
Here's a thread for that.

I think I compared "Gods of Egypt" to "Battlefield Earth" after I saw it, but I don't know if that comparison holds up, as it's too weird and colorful to reach that level. It's still terrible though.

Anyways, a few newer mentions

-CHIPS-Did you ever watch the old TV show and think to yourself "This is fine and all, but what it really needs is homophobia and Michael Pena talking about getting his ass eaten out"? Then do I have the movie for you!

-I, Frankenstein-The kind of thing that feels too dumb to exist. I remember seeing a trailer for it in a packed theater (can't remember which movie it was), and the whole vibe from the audience was "you have to be fucking kidding me."

-Dark Phoenix-Congratulations on being the second worst X-Men movie (the honor for worst goes to "X-Men Origins: Wolverine") A painfully dull slog filled with slumming actors, baffling script choices (the inclusion of Jessica Chastain as the villain is...what?) and all around butchering of the source material.*

*Considering the "Dark Phoenix" saga lasted a while, you'd think it would be smarter to make a mini series out of it. Trying to condense it all into one movie just hampers everything.

Offline Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2020, 05:36:54 AM »
I will defend Legion on the grounds that it has Paul Bettany and Dennis Quaid, as well as the possessed grandma. Those alone save it from being the worst anything, though shyte it is.

• KOAB
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2020, 09:31:59 AM »

the fuck is this movie

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2020, 09:45:43 AM »
i refuse to believe that koab has never seen or heard of legion given what i know of his taste

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2020, 09:47:11 AM »
The Last Airbender came out last decade.  Remember that?

• KOAB
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2020, 10:11:11 AM »
i refuse to believe that koab has never seen or heard of legion given what i know of his taste

I had no idea this existed until rereading the thread