Author Topic: MLB Hall of Fame 2020  (Read 277 times)

Description:

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
MLB Hall of Fame 2020
« on: January 02, 2020, 12:46:28 AM »
https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=F2E5D8FC5199DFAF!17003&ithint=file,xlsx&authkey=!ALD8BEbKmTajwcI

Derek Jeter is pretty much the obvious shoo-in and may follow Mariano with a full ballot. At present, Larry Walker looks like he has a very good chance at making it in this year.

Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens look like they both could have shots at making it. I think both barely make it in. Curt Schilling has a good chance and I think he makes it in with a stronger vote tally.

Not really a strong class overall, which I think helps Bonds/Clemens/Schilling's cases as far as getting them in.

Jeff Kent and Sammy Sosa still aren't receiving a lot of love. Sosa I kind of get but think he's gotten a little screwed over by the PEDs argument. He could swipe bases, still hit for a solid BA, and had a good OPS+ for the majority of his career. His defense fell off for half his career but he was a + defender up to 1999 and won an MVP.

Manny Ramirez also deserves more love on the ballot (Omar Vizquel getting more votes than him... eh). I still don't like Vizquel as a candidate simply because his offense wasn't good enough in a very pro offense era despite his defensive abilities. He's a throwback to the 50's/60's style shortstops but I think guys like Jeff Kent have a far stronger case.

Offline alkeiper

• Welcoming our new insect overlords
Re: MLB Hall of Fame 2020
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 01:16:23 AM »
I'd be surprised to see Bonds/Clemens get in on this ballot, TBH. The voters who don't share their ballots don't typically vote for them so their vote totals will trend down. Same with Schilling. Walker will be close, and given that it is his last year on the writers' ballot I hope he gets in.

Vizquel gets promoted as Ozzie Smith-lite fielding with a better bat. But Smith was actually a better hitter in context, Ozzie walked more and was a better baserunner.

Sosa really struggles because he has no base. The anti-PED crowd hates him. He was suspended for using a corked bat. His WAR is 58.6 which is 13th best on the ballot, so the analytics crowd isn't pushing for him either. And people see him as bizarre for the skin lightening stuff, even though that's probably unfair. I would like to see him in the Hall, but he needs advocates.

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 12:24:21 AM »
Announcement on MLB Network a little after 6:00pm ET.

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 09:33:06 AM »
Larry Walker elected, thank goodness.

Online KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 09:35:14 AM »
Which writer's wife did Jeter fuck?

Online Cartman

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 10:37:46 AM »
I'm kinda glad he didn't get 100%. Rivera deserved it, Jeter doesn't in my (probably stupid) opinion.

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 10:40:15 AM »
J.J. Puts getting a vote is probably the most bizarre result in all of this.

Offline Smues

• Admin
  • Smuesicide
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 12:58:47 PM »

This can't be real, right?
I want Jimmy Fallon to be dead. That doesn't make me a bad person.

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • All hail Gritty!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2020, 02:50:03 PM »
Bonds, Clemens, and Schilling have hit the 60% mark (Schilling's hit 70%!) but it's looking unlikely that Bonds and Clemens make it in via the writers, which is a travshammockery but that's just me.

Omar Vizquel and Scott Rolen look like they are on good paths to eventually make it. Todd Helton may have a legitimate shot now that Walker's been inducted as Helton had 29% in just his 2nd year.

Players officially off the ballot after just 1 year include Paul Konerko (2,340 Hits, 439 HR, 27.7 WAR), Jason Giambi (2,010 Hits, 440 HR, 50.5 WAR), and Alfonso Soriano (2,095 Hits, 412 HR, 28.2 WAR) as players who received multiple votes. Bobby Abreu stayed alive with 5.5% of the vote though!

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2020, 06:47:51 PM »
Harley,

What is the general accepted answer to "when did Bonds start juicing?" Because I know he was a capable player well before the out of no where ballooned stats (and physique) but I don't know if pre-juice if he was HOF or is it his post-juice career stats that are what makes him a candidate for the HOF?

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2020, 11:49:57 PM »
Harley,

What is the general accepted answer to "when did Bonds start juicing?" Because I know he was a capable player well before the out of no where ballooned stats (and physique) but I don't know if pre-juice if he was HOF or is it his post-juice career stats that are what makes him a candidate for the HOF?

Obviously 1998 really exacerbated things with the McGwire/Sosa HR Chase getting all the headlines while Bonds had another outstanding year with 37 HR, 120 RBI, and 28 SB yet finishing just 8th in the MVP Voting.

The funny thing is that really outside of the 73 HR year... most of his numbers are kind of in-line with his career prior just in far fewer PA. But pitchers were so terrified they'd be walking him 130 times with 60 IBB in just 615 PA compared to pre-Juice where he'd walk 120-125 times with 30 IBB in 690 PA instead. And Bonds got far, far more selective knowing how scared pitchers were so he'd wait on certain pitches and just hammer them regardless of the count or accept the BB/IBB.

People really underestimate how good his discipline and vision were at the plate prior to PEDs. This was a hitter who was already walking 115-130 times a year, striking out about 75-90 times a year, and leading MLB in intentional walks nearly every season. Tie that to a guy who's suddenly developed more power in a quicker swing and you get Bonds.

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2020, 12:27:15 AM »
Barry Bonds won MVP awards in 1990, 1992 and 1993. Daniel Okrient name dropped him as the peak of baseball evolution in Ken Burns' documentary. Bonds pre-strike was kind of like the player Mike Trout is now. 1990 onwards Bonds was on a HOF trajectory. From 1992 onwards Bonds was headed towards inner circle.

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2020, 12:29:11 AM »
The best news for me personally was Bobby Abreu staying on the ballot.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2020, 06:41:52 AM »
WAR SHEFF
WAR MANNY

I figure Bonds started really juicing hard 97-98ish based on my own eyeballs, but I think he'd started doing stuff in San Fran a couple years earlier.  I watched peak Pirates Bonds and the first couple years in San Fran you could tell he wanted to be Slugger McGee

I don't care though.  I watched that shit.  It was dope.