Author Topic: AEW Bash at the Beach  (Read 1302 times)

Description: A Special (?) Edition of AEW Dynamite

Offline Tino Standard

Re: AEW Bash at the Beach
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2020, 09:05:15 AM »
Other than the period with the Raw/SmackDown crossovers around Survivor Series, how much momentum has NXT really had in the head-to-heads?

Offline Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2020, 09:18:30 AM »

Amazing

Offline geniusMoment

• Trailer Park Supervisor
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2020, 10:20:08 AM »
Other than the period with the Raw/SmackDown crossovers around Survivor Series, how much momentum has NXT really had in the head-to-heads?

Well, the big one was 12/18 when they won the ratings while AEW closed with Dark Order destroying the entire AEW roster.

But, then they essentially took the 2 weeks off.
Randy!

Online Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2020, 11:17:52 AM »
Picking it back up. Sammy's cue card promos continue to be a highlight of not only AEW, but pro wrestling as a whole. Adding Spanish translations at the bottom of the cards was brilliant in the douchiest of ways. Having his PIP cut off midway is bullshit, though. Once he finds his voice on the microphone? The dude will be unstoppable.

Mox coming out to no music and driving the Ford? Lovely. Sammy flipping into his own little Fargo strut? Also lovely. Mox is letting Guevara shine here, letting him really show off, and Sammy selling the shots that Mox is giving him even when on offense? Perfect.

Okay. I'll stop fanboying. Even if Sammy is awesome.

Great finish that, with the context of the match, puts Sammy over HUGE. Mox barely got the win, had his ass kicked for most of the match, and then gets jumped after. SPIKE TO THE EYE?!?! Damn, I missed simplicity in my wrestling violence. You don't need elaborate structures made of fluorescent light tubes or mouse traps or whatever, you just need something people know can cause damage.

• Laz
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2020, 11:44:45 AM »
Fun promo with the Inner Circle. Only thing I wish was different about the aftermath of the eye spike is that I think Mox should've been fighting off the security/medics and scrambling to his feet, like a wild animal that's been wounded.

You know, I dig the Butcher and the Blade, but they need to ditch the WCW Saturday Night jobber coats. They remind me too much of Disorderly Conduct. Page keeping his ribs taped all these years later is awesome. MJF being chickenshit with Page but going after QT is fun. Butcher and the Blade could really use some promos to build them up, specifically in some seedy dive bar. Dustin might be the only old-timer who has actually gotten better as he's aged.

Page...should stay retired. Page in 1997-1999 is one of my all-time favorites, but if you can't bump then you shouldn't work. That he did a dive is insane, though. MJF/Dustin is a feud I want to see, or at least a side program to help build to MJF/Cody. Decent enough six-man, and I love how obvious the company is about MJF being a star.

Kenny's best promo thus far, and all he had to do was apologize for Hangman spilling a drink.

...was Schiavone baked? He looks fucking high.

• Laz
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2020, 12:03:14 PM »
They should give Darby some Taker-lite entrance, at least dim the lights for him. Add some ambiance and aura to it all. PAC is a guy I've never cared much for, and this is probably Darby's least interesting singles bout so far in AEW. It's not bad, of course, but it's subpar compared to what he's done with Cody, Jericho, and Mox.

Quick aside: LOVE the synthwave feel to the graphics. It's one of those little things that, no matter how overplayed the "modern 80s retro" thing has become in recent years, always makes me smile.

The Coffin Drop reversal into the German, followed by the LigerBomb, was fucking NASTY. Great little tribute. I'm fine with PAC going over, but I stand by what I said: weakest Darby singles match so far. That's PAC in a nutshell for me.

...you know, Paul Robinson is a British indie guy that can actually generate a ton of heat and work a variety of styles. Infinitely better idea to sign him over PAC.

STONE COLD JON MOXLEY IS GONNA FUCK SOMEBODY UP. Camera shouldn't have followed him, just showed him leaving the ambulance and let the fans stew as Mox makes his way out. Great visual to end the show on, with Mox the Pirate telling PAC that he still has no problem getting into a fight.

Good show outside of Brandi and the Dark Order, as usual.

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2020, 01:35:50 PM »
WON: Scurll had been the first choice to be the leader of the Dark Order and AEW for the 12/18 show in Corpus Christi with the heavily criticized beatdown, there was an idea for the show to end with the Scurll reveal, until ROH made Scurll such a great offer to stay.

I am really glad this didn't happen.

Also:

Regarding the booking which has come together better over the last three weeks, Tony Khan took more control after the negativity from the Corpus Christi show and you can see more seeds of long-term planning and layers in storylines, like in the four team tag match and other angles. But that’s also related to all involved.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • I have a doobie in my funk.
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2020, 01:41:34 PM »
Darby's aura is way more a Jeff Hardy. He's that guy, and they would be served to at least invent a title for him to defend every week, like some television title or something. I still hate the Coffin Drop a lot, though.

It's a weird thing to say, I guess, but I don't like a lot of the guys they're pushing necessarily but I really like that they're being pushed. Like I'm not as big a Darby guy as a lot of people, but I love that he's positioned to be a big deal down the road. Same for Sammy and Jungle Jack. They are building for a future as they go along, and that's cool.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2020, 01:42:21 PM »
Ric Flair should lead the Dark Order.

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2020, 01:44:06 PM »
It should be Johnny Polo.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Winter Epicland

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2020, 01:44:46 PM »
Nah, Shane Douglas.

• Laz
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2020, 09:41:15 PM »
Bret Hart, you plebs

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2020, 11:40:28 PM »
I mean at this point it's gonna be Brodie Lee, Matt Hardy, or Christopher Daniels, right? I'd be fine with any of them.
Show loose women what I'm workin' with.

Offline geniusMoment

• Trailer Park Supervisor
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2020, 01:22:55 AM »
I'd be more fine with the gimmick just going away.  I really don't want Brodie associated with that crap.

Randy!

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
  • Sometimes A Friend is Worth A Billion Dollars
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2020, 01:57:37 AM »
Am I the only one who thinks Matt Hardy leading The Dark Order would be a terrible idea?

First off, I'm in agreement with anyone who thinks Dark Order should just be dropped ASAP.

But I think having Matt Hardy lead them would make a bad idea worse. I think Matt Hardy still has something to add to a locker room but I think it'd be almost entirely in a non-wrestling role. If they are insistent on continuing this garbage, the leader should be someone who is a name and can be a workhorse. I don't think Hardy or even maybe Daniels is really capable of that, at this stage of their careers.

• Laz
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2020, 03:26:06 AM »
Matt Hardy should never be anywhere near the Dark Order. Broken Matt, Final Deletion, etc. is what 100% turned me off of TNA, and that level of d-grade "comedy" would make the WCW comparisons resonate that much louder.

Online tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2020, 03:57:06 AM »
Finished Dynamite last night. Thought the two singles matches were both very good with the main event maybe even being low-end great. I think Darby has got to be king of the Dynamite single match at this point. If I made a top 5 list, his matches with Cody, Mox, and PAC would all be on there.

The women's match was absolute dead air. Brandy shouldn't be in the ring and I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking 'Tamina' while watching Mel work.

The DDP/MJF six-man was fine. I'm not sure what the point of having DDP involved in all this does for anyone, though, and I hope it's over. QT shouldn't be on TV, but his Space Fat Tiger Blob has it's charm.

I don't hate the Dark Order as a midcard act that tries to recruit jobbers. They just shouldn't be in the main event or feuding with anyone that matters and the Nightmare Collective shouldn't be around watering down their act. Jurassic Express and SCU both have no direction and would be fine working against them.

Anxious Millennial Cowboy is a great nickname for Adam Page, btw.

• Laz
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2020, 04:01:46 AM »
Jurassic Express vs. Dark Order would be interesting, actually. Uno trying to turn Marko would be fun. Stu and Uno driving a white van, trying to lure him in with candy...

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2020, 08:48:20 AM »
No one will like who leads Dark Order anyway, so I say get Jake Roberts. We never got DDP vs Jake.

I honestly can't think of any real option that I'd want to see. Matt Hardy would kill everything dead (but is a very valuable signing; he's like Daniels where he could do anything they needed him to do). Brodie would be a total waste. Daniels only would work if they do a dramatic shift from doofuses to appletini warriors (which would rule but not as the top act). Cage would be dumb. They really TNA'd themselves with this one, unless a big name contract lapsed that hasn't broken.

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2020, 08:56:05 AM »
Only semi interesting would be maybe have The Revival lead it but I think it would hurt them more than it would help Dark Order. And I don't know if Revival has any discernible mic skills but I'm assuming not.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2020, 08:58:48 AM »
This must've been what it was like during the Black Scorpion days.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2020, 09:07:19 AM »
Swerve and make it Lita.

• Laz
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2020, 10:01:24 AM »
Since it's stupid and flavored like TNA, I vote having it be Rellik.

Spoiler: show
Which is "killer" spelled backward.

Offline Gary

• Bionic Cock
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2020, 10:18:25 AM »
Since it's stupid and flavored like TNA, I vote having it be Rellik.

Spoiler: show
Which is "killer" spelled backward.
                     /

"go ahead. keep screaming "Shut The Fuck Up " at me. it only makes my opinions Worse"

Offline Spaceman Spiff 🚀

• Death Pool Winner
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2020, 11:30:34 AM »
Chuck Palumbo.

Offline Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2020, 12:20:58 PM »
Seven

Offline The Amazing Rando

• Apparently Smart?
    • Opposite Attractions
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2020, 12:30:41 PM »
Nick Dinsmore.
A Horrible Premise - Episode 48: TEN CORGIS TAPED TOGETHER - an improv comedy game show podcast about creating 'horrible' tv shows.

Opposite Attractions - a comedy design podcast where two idiots design their very own theme parks. SEASON 7 IS HERE!

Buy my novel, Accounting For Glory, now in paperback!

I made a silly Disney Parks RPG. You should check it out here!

Apparently Artistic - See my dubious attempts at making art.

Bro, Do You Even Tweet?

Offline jerk of all trades

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2020, 12:49:07 PM »
Black Reign

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • All hail Gritty!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2020, 03:27:39 PM »
Vince Russo
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2020, 02:03:21 AM »
Hector Guerrero

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2020, 03:21:02 AM »
Rochester is Luke Harper's hometown and his no compete clause expires in March. CUE THE RUMORS, IWC!