Author Topic: CXF RumbleRank: #9  (Read 223 times)

Description:

Offline THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
CXF RumbleRank: #9
« on: January 19, 2020, 08:36:04 AM »
9. Women's Royal Rumble 2018 (22 points)

The historic first 30-woman Royal Rumble checks in at #9.  Now I will warn you ahead of time that this is my first time viewing either of the 2018 Rumbles, which both made the list, so I will admit to not being very knowledgable about the angles going on around the time or possibly even who a number of the participants are.  I am watching a version on Youtube which seems to be full of jumpcuts, so hopefully nothing important is left out.  I will do my best.

Sasha Banks and Becky Lynch start us off.  Alexa Bliss and Charlotte Flair, the champions for their respective brands, are shown at ringside.  They go through some nice chain wrestling, getting some respectful applause from the fans.  Sarah Logan comes in next, and stomps away on Becky, but Sasha comes to her aid.  Logan seems to be advertised as a rough, tough brawler here.  She tosses Sasha into the air and catches her with a headbutt on the way down, which is a pretty neat move I don't think I've seen before.  Logan and Becky tangle in the corner and another abrupt jump cut leads us to Mandy Rose.  I'm surprised that even Dailymotion doesn't have an uncut version of this Rumble.  I'm guessing all of the important parts are left in, but it's still kind of annoying.  She plants a HHH-esque high knee into Sasha, which gets a rise out of Steph on commentary.

#5 is Lita, which pumps the crowd up in a big way.  The action comes to a halt, as Sasha and Becky join forces on her, but she fights them off.  Mandy Rose takes the fight to her, but stops to play to the crowd and gets eliminated.  Kairi Sane fills her void, as the camera cuts to Charlotte looking like she just ate a huge pot brownie.  Kairi cleans house with some impressive-looking offense, and the crowd eats it up.  She goes to the top and his an elbow.  Well, at least that's what Steph said, as it was lost in a stupid jump-cut.  Tamina is next, and lays out Becky and Sarah, but then Lita comes to life and hands out Twists of Fate to all, followed by a double moonsault to Becky and Sasha.

The crowd chants "you still got it" as Lita eliminates Tamina in a spot that looks like it could have been in a Road Runner-Wile E. Coyote cartoon, as Lita motions her to charge, and she does and gets low-bridged to the floor.  Lita is eliminated too, which was, again, lost in a jump-cut.  Top notch.  Commentary points out that Becky was the culprit.  Dana Brooke is the next entrant, but Becky is waiting on her, and ambushes her on the way in.  She almost has her eliminated, but Dana fights her way out, and then pummels Kairi in the corner and dumps her to the floor.

Another blast from the past at #9 as Torrie Wilson makes her way to the ring, as I just noticed that even the ring apron now has the wrestler's graphics broadcasted.  She hits Becky with an X-factor (!), but then gets drilled with a dropkick from Sarah Logan.  Torrie is selling like death, but actually manages to eliminate Dana.  She's already shown more ring ability in two minutes here than I think she showed in her whole early 2000's run.  Sonya Deville is next, and strikes away on everyone as the announcers put over her fighting background.  She eliminates Torrie, which the crowd doesn't like.  Liv Morgan is next, and the jump-cutting starts to get ridiculous, as literally only 30 seconds are shown before the next entrant.

And it's Molly Holly, with generic music instead of the Holly cousins theme song.  Molly goes to work on everyone, and hits the Molly-Go-Round on Sasha.  Lana is the next entrant, as Molly and Sasha seem to have disappeared from the ring.  Liv and Sonya double-team her, but eventually she gets fired up and takes down Liv and a catfight ensues.  She eventually succumbs to the odds, until Michelle McCool hits the ring, and cleans house, eliminating Sonya, Liv, Molly (who takes a rough fall), and Lana.  Did I mention she's the Undertaker's wife?  Sasha and Becky are back, and attempt to eliminate her as Ruby Riott hits the ring, and the combatants pair off, as Ruby fends off Becky while Michelle and Sasha tangle.

Now we get our comedy spot, as Vickie Guerrero makes her way out and verbally abuses all of the women in the ring, as the action stops.  Eventually they get fed up and toss her to the outside, despite her best efforts to escape, and the crowd actually boos her elimination.  Huh.  Carmella is next, with her Money in the Bank briefcase...which Vickie uses to lay her out outside the ring!  She lays around until Natalya comes out, then pulls her off the apron and finally rolls in.  Her and Becky struggle with one another, but eventually Becky gets the better of it.  Kelly Kelly is the next surprise entrant, and is eliminated almost immediately by Natayla, but hangs on, and pulls off a spinning headscissor takedown on Michelle (!), who is then pitched to the floor by Natalya.

(I know that's not from this match, but I just wanted to include a gif of it)

Naomi is the next entrant, as Sasha slides under the ropes again.  Becky, however, goes over the top rope, at the hands of Ruby Riott, and is finally eliminated as Jacqueline is our next surprise entry.  She floors Carmella with a clothesline and then joins forces with Natayla, but the two can't quite get Kelly over the ropes.  Nia Jax is next, and this should clear some things up.  She tosses Jackie, and then Kelly Kelly jumps on her back and pounds on her head in an hilarious spot that reminds me of the Bugs Bunny Easter egg cartoon.

Ok, that's two Looney Tunes references from this Rumble, I'll try to stop.  Maybe.  Kelly is out, Ruby is out, Naomi is out.  Ember Moon is in and out under the bottom.  But wait!  Naomi isn't out after all, as she takes a page from Kofi Kingston's book and wheels her way back to the ring via Maria Menounos's chair.

lol jk she's out

But Beth Phoenix is in, leading to a Strong Woman Showdown with Nia.

The crowd gets into it, but Beth can't seem to handle the size of Nia.  Natalya slides back in to help out, sending Nia to the outside, presumably through the ropes.  Natalya and Beth embrace in the ring, as Steph wonders how long the union will last.  Not long, as it turns out, as Natalya breaks the truce and tosses Beth to the floor.  Carmella sneaks back in and ambushes Natalya, as Asuka is out next.  Strikes for everyone, until Ember Moon slides back in as Asuka hilariously mocks her injured arm.  Ember holds her own for a bit, including a headscissor takedown, until Asuka dumps her over the top (or rather, Ember quite clearly jumping over the ropes ala Marcus Cor Von), then takes advantage of the injury to eliminate her.  Next up is Mickie James, who tangles with Natalya until Nikki Bella makes her way down, taking everyone down then staring down Charlotte as the crowd chants "John Cena sucks".  Carmella ambushes her, then takes her down in the corner and mocks her with Cena's hand gesture, which gets a nice reaction from the crowd.  Sadly, Nikki fights back and ultimately eliminates her.  Asuka takes Nikki down, and then everyone gangs up on her until Brie comes out as the next entrant to make the save.

Bayley is #29 and fights off elimination from Asuka, and Trish Stratus rounds out the field.  Like Lita, the action stops as everyone focuses on Trish.  She takes down Natalya with a Thesz press, then fights off Bayley before landing a double Stratusfaction on the Bellas.

This leads to a Trish/Mickie showdown, which has the crowd buzzing.  They trade blows for a bit, but ultimately Trish eliminates Mickie, then gets flattened by Nia Jax.  This convinces everyone to finally gang up on Nia and send her to the floor.  Sasha then turns on her friend Bayley and tosses her to the floor, which finally causes Charlotte to change an emotion.  Natalya takes Trish down and puts her in the Sharpshooter, while staring at the WrestleMania logo in a neat visual.  Trish manages to power out, though, and eventually eliminates Natalya with a kick off the apron.  Sasha then confronts Trish, and Trish strikes the first blow, but Sasha eliminates her, which pisses the crowd off.  This leaves Sasha, the Bellas, and Asuka, who confronts Sasha, and a confrontation is teased, before the two seemingly set to pair up against the Bellas.  However, Sasha attacks Asuka instead, and then stands back as the Bellas work her over.  But when she decides to join in on the assault, the Bellas eliminate her, after nearly 55 minutes.  The Bellas go to work on Asuka, who fights back and almost eliminates Brie, but Nikki takes her down with a TKO...then eliminates Brie herself.  I gotta think that wasn't wise strategy.  And indeed, Asuka ultimately kicks Nikki to the floor amidst a battle on the apron to win the match.

Final thoughts:  This is why I didn't make a list myself, because I would have left a match like this off which I otherwise would likely have included because I hadn't seen it.  The women have obviously come a long way even from the Attitude era, where there were maybe 5 or 6 women who could actually work and the rest were strictly eye candy.  And the star power was A+.  I'm not sure what the reaction was to all the comebacks, but aside from Michelle McCool I enjoyed them.  It was basically like Royal Rumble 97 if Hogan, Savage, Piper, Warrior and Andre were all surprise entrants.  (I know Andre was dead at the time, but work with me.)  Needless to say, I definitely get the hype for this one.
@alfdogg765 on Twitter FOLLOW ME

Offline THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
Re: CXF RumbleRank: #9
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 09:57:07 AM »
Next one probably won't be up until Tuesday or Wednesday.  Won't have time tomorrow for sure

Offline CookieMueller

• Forever blowing bubbles
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 11:03:19 AM »
This is my favorite Rumble. Pretty wild that there are 8 higher than this.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 11:21:30 AM »
I probably would have included this one if I didn't forget.  It would have been near the bottom of the Top Ten though.  I think it is the best one in almost a decade now.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 12:25:38 PM »

And it's Molly Holly, with generic music instead of the Holly cousins theme song.

I'm, like, ninety percent sure that that was her actual music, from after she went solo.

Offline THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 01:38:35 PM »
Well, they should have used the other one

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
  • Sometimes A Friend is Worth A Billion Dollars
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 01:44:05 AM »
I think this one was severely underrated. I had it in my Top 5. Historically important and fun as heck Rumble.

If we are still around in ten years and do another one, I assume this will be listed higher.

Offline Hawk 34

• Death Pool Winner
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 02:25:02 AM »
The recency bias actually hurt it here because the rumbles that will take the top spots here trade on nostalgia and I agree in ten years the recollection of the Bellas dominance will age as nicely as a bottle of Belle Radici.