Author Topic: AEW 1/22/2020: Chris Jericho's Rock N Wrestling Rager At Sea Part Deux  (Read 1499 times)

Description: AEW Rocks The Boat

Offline grapeswasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
Re: AEW 1/22/2020: Chris Jericho's Rock N Wrestling Rager At Sea Part Deux
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2020, 06:05:19 AM »
I'm not really into intergender wrestling personally (909's take is pretty reasonable though) but man that genius post is overwrought as fuck. Someone get him his fainting couch.

Offline geniusMoment

• Trailer Park Supervisor
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2020, 06:13:02 AM »
There’s nothing wrong with inter gender wrestling as long as the female wrestler is good at working from underneath and being believable. Or in the case of a bigger woman, the man being capable of doing the same thing. I think most people here would want to see something like Sasha Banks against Ricochet. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with feeling that way, and even though it exposes the biz as being fake, everyone already knows that.

Sasha weighs what?  100 pounds?  Her going against Ricochet and him selling anything she throws at him isn't any different than invisible hand grenades or all the other stupid indy BS that will kill them on TNT.  Shitty intergender stuff is one of the things that killed LU.

And the logic that "everyone knows the business is fake so it doesn't matter if what we do is believable" is such a Russo thing.  Everyone knows tv shows are fake too, but the good ones are able to make you suspend disbelief, not be so absurdly stupid that it totally takes you out of the moment.
Randy!

Online Bernie Bro Kamala

• CXF Writer
  • This conversation sucks.I'm going to take a shower
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2020, 06:19:02 AM »
There's about as much weight difference between Ricochet and Sasha Banks as there is between Daniel Bryan and Brock Lesnar. You wouldn't complain about the latter being unrealistic BS that is killing the business.

Offline geniusMoment

« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2020, 06:23:00 AM »
Rey Mysterio killed WCW!

I love when someone is defending something as dumb as Sasha Banks going against an athletic, pretty jacked dude like Ricochet throws out Mysterio.  It's like the catch-all to defend any outlandish, dumb scenario that any booker could ever do.  But, Rey...
Randy!

Offline geniusMoment

« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2020, 06:25:08 AM »
There's about as much weight difference between Ricochet and Sasha Banks as there is between Daniel Bryan and Brock Lesnar. You wouldn't complain about the latter being unrealistic BS that is killing the business.

It's not just pure weight.  That's part of it, but there are also differences between the genders.  There's a reason women don't fight men in UFC.  When you mix that with the weight it just becomes stupid.
Randy!

Online Bernie Bro Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2020, 06:29:50 AM »
Pro wrestling isn't MMA/boxing though. Fantasy and that suspension of disbelief is what makes it fun. I think the fact that pro wrestling could reasonably/realistically answer if the best woman is as good as the best man is what makes it more appealing than legitimate sports.

Offline geniusMoment

« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2020, 06:32:11 AM »
Pro wrestling isn't MMA/boxing though. Fantasy is what makes it fun. I think the fact that pro wrestling could reasonably/realistically answer if the best woman is as good as the best man is what makes it more appealing than legitimate sports.

But if I'm watching a match between Sasha and Ricochet I can't realistically believe her strikes would do enough damage to create near falls and drama.  Just because you have a talented female and a talented male it doesn't mean they should have a match.
Randy!

Offline geniusMoment

« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2020, 06:37:42 AM »
To me there isn't any difference in saying Sasha should work Ricochet then saying Riho should work Mox.  You may say one is more absurd than the other, but to me they're both so absurd and dumb that at a point it doesn't matter if one is more absurd since they're both so far out there.
Randy!

Online Bernie Bro Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2020, 06:38:48 AM »
I don't see how this hypothetical Sasha Vs Ricochet is any less absurd than Daniel Bryan Vs Big Show.

Pro wrestling is absurd! You don't want to lean into it too hard but fantasy warfare becoming reality can become fun occasionally!

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • I have a doobie in my funk.
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2020, 06:44:44 AM »
How would you feel about Nyla working men?

Offline geniusMoment

« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2020, 06:44:44 AM »
I don't see how this hypothetical Sasha Vs Ricochet is any less absurd than Daniel Bryan Vs Big Show.

Pro wrestling is absurd! You don't want to lean into it too hard but fantasy warfare becoming reality can become fun occasionally!

To me this would be more Marko-Big Show.  And the match would only make sense if it were a total squash.  But, that's not what we're talking about here.  We're not talking about intergender where the men just squash the women, as there wouldn't be any point to it.  We're talking about competitive matches with back and forth action.  As an example in the intergender match AEW just did on the boat Penelope Ford took a snapdragon suplex from Omega and kicked out of a nearfall after.
Randy!

Offline geniusMoment

« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2020, 06:56:52 AM »

I think Nyla sucks and shouldn't be working anyone.  But, I'm assuming the real question is how would I feel about someone born as a man and transitioning/transitioned to a female going against men.  It would depend on the individual, the size, the skill  and the storyline involved.  But, even if everything was met I still don't think it's a good idea to have men-women matches.  You could maybe make a case if it was a special storyline that made sense.  But, again I wouldn't make it a regular occurrence. 

Randy!

Online strummer

« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2020, 06:57:22 AM »
Russo was mentioned.

Russo has repeatedly said in shoots that he thinks that the small, athelic guys getting pushed is hurting the business now. He railed against Sami Zayn's push a few years ago. He thought Kevin Owens was too overweight to push, etc.

Offline geniusMoment

« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2020, 06:59:38 AM »
Russo was mentioned.

Russo has repeatedly said in shoots that he thinks that the small, athelic guys getting pushed is hurting the business now. He railed against Sami Zayn's push a few years ago. He thought Kevin Owens was too overweight to push, etc.

My mention of him wasn't in relation to the size of guys though.  It was in his defense of his more out there ideas as being okay because "everyone knows the business is fake".
Randy!

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2020, 07:01:03 AM »

I think Nyla sucks and shouldn't be working anyone.  But, I'm assuming the real question is how would I feel about someone born as a man and transitioning/transitioned to a female going against men.  It would depend on the individual, the size, the skill  and the storyline involved.  But, even if everything was met I still don't think it's a good idea to have men-women matches.  You could maybe make a case if it was a special storyline that made sense.  But, again I wouldn't make it a regular occurrence. 

So how do you know, at this moment, they aren't working on an appropriate storyline that makes sense for any of the intergender stuff more kayfabe-plausible?

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2020, 07:01:44 AM »
Russo put titles on Chyna.

Offline geniusMoment

« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2020, 07:04:57 AM »

So how do you know, at this moment, they aren't working on an appropriate storyline that makes sense for any of the intergender stuff more kayfabe-plausible?

Because the number of female talents currently in the promotion (and the world for that matter) that would fit this mold is very small.  I don't think there is one in AEW other than Kong, and with her back she can't really work anymore.  And Omega's speech wasn't a limited program or event.  He wants a mixed-tag division.
Randy!

Offline geniusMoment

« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2020, 07:05:49 AM »
Russo put titles on Chyna.

Who or what is this in response to?  I'm not defending Russo here.  I'm saying he defended his more outrageous storylines by saying "everyone knows it's fake".
Randy!

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2020, 07:12:41 AM »
Chyna's just a reminder that everyone knows it's fake. It sounds like that's being lost in the huff-n-puff.

Tag division, eh? If only there were some scenario wherein it didn't always have to be intergender and reasons why selling and the like would make sense in a tag match.

Offline geniusMoment

« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2020, 07:23:35 AM »
Chyna's just a reminder that everyone knows it's fake. It sounds like that's being lost in the huff-n-puff.

Tag division, eh? If only there were some scenario wherein it didn't always have to be intergender and reasons why selling and the like would make sense in a tag match.

I'm not saying anyone thinks it's real.  But, in the middle of Seinfeld they didn't go, "oh, by the way this is all bullshit and throw some segment in that totally takes you out of the show".  I think that is what 95% of intergender matches would be.  I don't want Penelope Ford taking a snapdragon suplex and kicking out and then doing chain wrestling with someone like Omega or Mox.  I think it kills the show and ruins the suspension of disbelief.

And there isn't anyone on their roster who I want working against men.
Randy!

Offline jerk of all trades

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2020, 07:32:26 AM »

I'm not saying anyone thinks it's real.  But, in the middle of Seinfeld they didn't go, "oh, by the way this is all bullshit and throw some segment in that totally takes you out of the show".  I think that is what 95% of intergender matches would be.  I don't want Penelope Ford taking a snapdragon suplex and kicking out and then doing chain wrestling with someone like Omega or Mox.  I think it kills the show and ruins the suspension of disbelief.

And there isn't anyone on their roster who I want working against men.
Seek help.

Online Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2020, 07:37:28 AM »
I was going to use Charlotte-Rey as an example instead of Sasha-Ricochet. They are more or less around the same weight. She can do athletic spots that the other women can't take, but the men could. Why shouldn't she be allowed to work with men?

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2020, 07:37:51 AM »
So you couldn't book a tag match with the same formula this country has used for 40 years, just with a woman in place of Eaton and Morton?

It doesn't hurt suspension of disbelief so much as pushes it, and that's a good thing. Could suck, could rule, whatever. Something different on a scale people will actually see and give a shit about one way or another. Especially given that this is something WWE did and then stopped because of how it looked; it makes AEW look different, and makes their female talent look stronger. Saying it hurts the suspension of disbelief is like saying a tiny man in a mask doing parkour shit or an MMA zombie or a psycho host of a fake kids show isn't hurting it. At least you get a match out of it, and it could be good, and even if it isn't it's still something different.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2020, 07:39:42 AM »
I won't edit this in because fuck it, but what female talent would you want to see work against men? Using your own words. I don't mean someone like Kong, who's busted up and shouldn't be working anyone. You must have some talent in mind to ruin my suspension of disbelief.

Offline geniusMoment

« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2020, 07:46:10 AM »
If I were going to do a man vs woman match it would be Rhonda vs. Somebody.  But, it would only be for a specific program, and built as the ultimate man-woman conflict.  I would build it like the old Billie Jean King tennis match.

If you want me to pick someone currently working it would probably be Charlotte.  But, again, it wouldn't be regularly.  And it would need to be built a very specific way.

But the above isn't what I'm against.  It's the week in and out of what a division becomes.  The lack of females who would make sense in these roles, and how these segments would do more harm than good.
Randy!

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2020, 07:55:39 AM »
There's a whole world of women who wrestle.

Wouldn't it being a regular occurrence make it easier to fit in the spectrum of your suspension of disbelief? If it just becomes the way it is?

Offline geniusMoment

« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2020, 08:00:53 AM »
There's a whole world of women who wrestle.

Wouldn't it being a regular occurrence make it easier to fit in the spectrum of your suspension of disbelief? If it just becomes the way it is?

No, in the same way seeing someone like Marko work against Mox might be fun once if it's done as a squash.  But, I don't want to see that or similar matches every week.

If there were a whole world of women like Rousey, then I would agree with you.

And just so everyone is clear, what I'm against isn't the notion that AEW might build up a program where the end result is a mixed tag match that is booked to make sense.  Something like I talked about above in my Rousey scenerio.

What I'm against is a division featuring regular (weekly or close to it) matches between female and male talents where they exchange offense in a somewhat equal manner (again, men just squashing the women would be stupid, and you wouldn't create the division for that). 
Randy!

Offline Big Beard Booty Daddy

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2020, 08:14:21 AM »
I used to be against intergender wrestling because it made me feel uncomfortable to watch. Over the past 4-5 years I've watched so much of it that it doesn't bother me anymore. Tessa (shitty person aside) and Brian Cage had one of the best intergender matches I've ever seen in WrestleCircus. It's one thing to just not be into it, like any other form of wrestling, but it's here to stay, especially on the indies.

And frankly, to think intergender wrestling was one of the reasons Lucha Underground failed is hilarious. It failed because the people running it couldn't get out of their own way. Sexy Star's story to become champion was one of their most beloved stories. 
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Online Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2020, 08:20:58 AM »
I've seen LuFisto have extremely believable matches against some of the current top talents out there. There's a right way and a wrong way to book just about anything, and if you're suspension of disbelief in pro wrestling is ruined by the possibility of intergender matches but not the ridiculousness of the Irish whip..

For the record, I don't think having an intergender division is a good move. I also have no qualms with presenting a handful of them here or there, or having one or two full-time intergender tag team(s). It's really easy to dismiss the idea if you're trying to present a realistic product above all else, but even the grittier products of our time as fans have featured intergender matches. LuFisto was in deathmatches in CZW, Jazz was a believable undercard threat in ECW, and I'll even say that the handling of the World's Cutest Tag Team (Joey Ryan/Candice LeRae) on the indies a few years back was very good stuff. Add to that how Tessa Blanchard has become one of the hottest names in the entire business over the past year, and now with Rhea Ripley outwardly balking at the idea of only working with other women, and you're in the wrong.

Again, everything can work if it's booked right. I don't want to see Britt Baker going shot-for-shot with Mox, but I wouldn't mind seeing Statlander take Guevara down with a few lariats.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2020, 08:27:44 AM »
It really does sound like you don't want men and women presented as equals.

Offline geniusMoment

« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2020, 08:29:06 AM »
I've seen LuFisto have extremely believable matches against some of the current top talents out there. There's a right way and a wrong way to book just about anything, and if you're suspension of disbelief in pro wrestling is ruined by the possibility of intergender matches but not the ridiculousness of the Irish whip..

Couldn't you use this same argument to justify literally any idea in the world though?  I think everyone can agree there should be some form of believability in what is occurring.  I mean couldn't you say, "well if your suspension of disbelief isn't ruined by the irish whip why would it be ruined by invisible grenades?"

Randy!

Offline geniusMoment

« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2020, 08:30:57 AM »
It really does sound like you don't want men and women presented as equals.

No, I'd love for AEW to have a great women's division.  And if they get great talent I'd have no issue with them being in the main event, making the most money, etc...

How does not wanting them to fight each other make it seem that way?
Randy!

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2020, 08:31:47 AM »
Top notch sidestep.

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • Three Time Tetris 99 Champ!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2020, 08:33:18 AM »
I won't edit this in because fuck it, but what female talent would you want to see work against men? Using your own words. I don't mean someone like Kong, who's busted up and shouldn't be working anyone. You must have some talent in mind to ruin my suspension of disbelief.

I'd like Tye Dillinger to job to the entire women's roster.
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Offline geniusMoment

« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2020, 08:34:42 AM »
Top notch sidestep.

For the record I would push anyone, regardless of gender, based on talent.  I don't know what's a side step about that.

If AEW somehow got Charlotte I'd push her to the freaking moon.
Randy!

Offline geniusMoment

« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2020, 08:41:17 AM »
But, also for the record.  I think the talent level in AEW's women's division blows right now.  So, you would be correct in stating I don't think they should be viewed as equals to most of the men.  But, that isn't about gender.   It's in the same way I don't think Brandon Cutler should be seen as an equal to Jon Moxley.
Randy!

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2020, 08:42:13 AM »
Charlotte is as big as most of the guys and a better worker than a great deal (subjective, yeah, but come on). You wouldn't buy her against the Jungle Jacks or Kenny Omegas of the world?

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2020, 08:45:44 AM »
If Rocky Balboa would have been a Cajun American woman from the gulf coast instead of an ItalianAmerican male from Philly, Apollo wouldn't have taken him the distance. That Cajun Woman would have put the heavyweight champ on his ass inside of 5 rounds.

Online Bernie Bro Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2020, 08:47:11 AM »
Lash LeRoux was born the wrong gender and in the wrong sport apparently.

Offline geniusMoment

« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2020, 08:50:52 AM »
Charlotte is as big as most of the guys and a better worker than a great deal (subjective, yeah, but come on). You wouldn't buy her against the Jungle Jacks or Kenny Omegas of the world?

I think Charlotte is a better worker than all but a handful of people in AEW.  And I would push her huge.  I would build the division around her.  How does me not wanting her to face men, at least not regularly, mean I see her as inferior or not as an equal?  If you think it's about money, I would pay her more than just about anyone they've got cause she would make that whole division and could be an immediate main eventer.

But, if I was going to pick one person (outside of Rousey) to work against men it would be Charlotte due to both skill and size.
Randy!

Offline Cool, Bad, & Handsome

• KOAB
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2020, 09:00:27 AM »
the way this conversation has gone has left me with a face like this

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2020, 09:04:29 AM »
We really do need that Like button.

Offline geniusMoment

« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2020, 09:08:18 AM »
I had a feeling a large percentage of people here weren't going to agree with my take on intergender wrestling.  I'll stop if people want this to end.
Randy!

Online Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2020, 09:23:19 AM »
Kris Statlander would beat the shit out of Sammy Guevara

Online Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2020, 11:02:14 AM »
And I would watch every second of it.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2020, 12:19:27 PM »
I find myself philosophically opposed to intergender wrestling, not because I have a problem with women fighting men, and not on some suspension of disbelief, either: I more or less made my peace with what wrestling is, twenty-five years ago. My objection has more to do with the fact that, ever since I discovered SHIMMER in 2008, I have generally preferred women's wrestling to male wrestling, and so I would rather see a promotion elevate their entire women's division to the main event, than to just push 1-2 women.

I think most people here would want to see something like Sasha Banks against Ricochet.
I wouldn't want to see Sasha versus Ricochet, because most of Sasha's offense doesn't even look like it hurts when she's wrestling against other women her size.

To me, the biggest difference is that Bryan is actually a good wrestler. Like, I don't believe that Bryan could stand up and trade blows with Big Show, but I believe that he's a good enough wrestler that, if he could get Show off his feet, he could wear his ass out on the mat. Not only do I not believe that Sasha could trade punches with Ricochet (I can barely believe her trading punches with Alexa), I don't believe that Sasha could keep Ricochet on the mat, if she could get him there...

Now, if we're talking Shayna versus Ricochet, or Mercedes, or Nattie, I mean... you could sell me on that.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #97 on: January 24, 2020, 12:23:49 PM »
I used to be against intergender wrestling because it made me feel uncomfortable to watch. Over the past 4-5 years I've watched so much of it that it doesn't bother me anymore. Tessa (shitty person aside) and Brian Cage had one of the best intergender matches I've ever seen in WrestleCircus. It's one thing to just not be into it, like any other form of wrestling, but it's here to stay, especially on the indies...

That's fair, but I also think that intergender wrestling plays differently on the indies, where the average male wrestler looks like Johnathan Gresham or Jack Gallagher, and a guy the size of Baron Corbin might as well be Andre the Giant.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2020, 12:27:11 PM »
I won't edit this in because fuck it, but what female talent would you want to see work against men? Using your own words.

Move Charlotte, Tamina and Bianca Belair to 205 Live.

Offline geniusMoment

« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2020, 04:41:18 PM »
The ticket game is so weird.  I get there's always been good and bad markets.  But, they were having trouble selling 4K seats in Memphis and the advance in Cleveland was terrible last I heard.  But, they've already sold over 10K tickets for the show in NY.

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2020/01/strong-ticket-sales-for-aew-dynamite-debut-in-the-ny-metro-665382/

Randy!