Author Topic: CXF RumbleRank: #8  (Read 225 times)

Description:

Online THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
CXF RumbleRank: #8
« on: January 22, 2020, 11:58:35 AM »
8. Men's 2018 Royal Rumble (31 points)

I actually managed to find a full version of this one on YouTube, although it is sped up a bit.  Let's check it out.

Rusev starts out with Finn Balor, mostly controlled by Rusev, but Finn does hit him with a dropkick just as Rhyno is set to come out.  Rhyno is making his second appearance in the Rumble, 14 years after his first.  He slugs it out with Rusev and drops him with a suplex, before doing the same to Balor, who is saved from elimination by Rusev.  Rusev hits Rhyno with a spinning wheel kick, and Baron Corbin is the next entrant.  He takes control of the ring, and eliminates Rhyno, which doesn't sit well with the Philly crowd.  Their mood changes, however, when Corbin is abruptly dumped to the floor by Balor.  Corbin drags Balor outside and rams him into the support, then drags Rusev out and drops him with the End of Days.  He continues his assault on Balor until officials start to usher him back.  Heath Slater comes through the curtains, which may not be good timing.  And indeed, Corbin clotheslines him on the ramp on his way back, with Slater selling it like death.  Must be one of those Survivor Series clotheslines.  Everyone lays around until the next entrant...

Slater gets the Rip Rogers treatment from Elias as he strums his guitar on the way to the ring.  He begins to perform a concert, which is interruped by Andrade Almas' entrance.  He floors poor Heath again, then slides in and drills Elias with a spinning elbow and running knee in the corner.  A hammerlock DDT is thwarted by Elias, who after a bit of move-countering, hits a clothesline as Bray Wyatt makes his way out.  Balor slides in and breaks up Sister Abigail, but gets clotheslined for his troubles.  Bray keeps Rusev from re-entering the ring as Big E makes his entrance and is nice enough to offer Heath a snack on the outside.

Big E hits a belly-to-belly on Bray, but is floored with a kick from the returning Rusev.  "The Perfect 10" Tye Dillinger is entry #10, which apparently was so clever that they felt the need to ram the joke home two years in a row.  Sadly, he gets beat up backstage by Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn, and then Zayn makes his way out in Dillinger's place.  And he...does nothing of note, really.  Sheamus is #11, and finally tosses in Heath...who immediately clotheslines him to the floor.  OK, that was funny.  Slater is elated, but finds himself right back on the floor at the hands of Bray Wyatt.

Xavier Woods joins stablemate Big E at #12, and they work over Elias, but can't eliminate him.  Apollo Crews is next, as the announcers discuss the odds of his #13 spot.  He's followed by Shinsuke Nakamura, who takes control of the ring, and ultimately eliminates Sami Zayn.  Cesaro, the "Swiss Cyborg" (how many nicknames is that now?) is next, and delivers hard shots for all.  He has Balor going, but Almas saves him.  Kofi Kingston is next, and the New Day is in as a unit.  Cesaro drills him on the way in, then gets lifted overhead by Apollo, but manages to escape and then backdrops Apollo to the apron.  Apollo puts up a good fight from the apron but eventually succumbs to a European uppercut.  Jinder Mahal is next, as Cole incorrectly says that this is his first Rumble match (he was in the 2012 and 2013 Rumbles).  Some "research".  Xavier trides to Hinder Jinder and gets dumped to the floor.  Big E sends him to the apron, but Jinder manages to pull him over and eliminate him as well with a kick.  Seth Rollins is the next entrant, and comes in with a flying clothesline on Bray.  He floors Balor as well before getting ambushed by Cesaro, but somehow escapes elimination and monkey flips Cesaro to the floor.

Jinder dumps Kofi to the floor, but Kofi once again uniquely escapes elimination, as Xavier is still laying around and catches one of his feet.  Big E just happens to find a plate of pancakes laying around, and puts the under the foot so Xavier can get up.  Jinder stands guard to block Kofi from re-entering, so Big E and Xavier give him a boost and propel him over the top of Jinder and into the ring, where he then eliminates Jinder with Trouble in Paradise.

The party doesn't last long, though, as Almas tosses him following a Hammerlock DDT.  Matt Hardy is next, and a confrontation with Bray is teased, but Rusev breaks it up, which doesn't work out well for him, as Matt and Bray then join forces to eliminate him.  Bray then shoots Almas in for a Side Effect from Matt, before the two finally come to blows and eliminate each other.  The ring is finally starting to clear up some, just in time for John Cena to enter.  The "John Ce-na suuuuuuuucks" chant is more amusing in this sped-up video, because it sounds like the kids in the crowd are singing it.  The five other combatants gang up on Cena, then split up and leave Elias to fend for himself.  I'm sure you can guess how that plays out.

Up next is our token surprise nostalgia entrant, the Hurricane.  And as usual, he's out as soon as he's in, as he attempts a chokeslam on Cena, who FU's him to the floor.  Aiden English is next up, and hammers away on Seth.  This sped-up higher-pitched video makes it hard at times to distinguish which of the four announcers is talking.  Adam Cole is the next entrant, selling a rib injury from his match at Takeover.  He works over Almas as Balor knocks English off the top to the floor.  Randy Orton is next, the reigning Rumble winner at the time.  He attempts an RKO on Cena, but Cena counters, sending him into an Almas kick.  Almas then comes off the top...right into an RKO, and elimination.

Titus O'Neill is next, and the action starts to slow down again.  Noticing a lot of laying around from Balor, ala Rey Mysterio in 2006.  Miz is the next entrant, and fires off kicks on Cena and Nakamura, complete with "YES" chants.  Naka ducks his last kick, setting up a Cena FU attempt, which Miz counters into the Skull Crushing Finale before getting laid out with with a Rollins superkick.  And speaking of Rey Mysterio...

He makes a surprise return much to the delight of the crowd.  Definitely a better reception than his last Rumble appearance.  He's also back to regular long tights instead of the baggy pants.  He quickly eliminates Cole and hits a West Coast Pop and 619 on Miz.  And now it's Big Dog time.  He floors Nakamura with a right hand, then stares down Miz, who had just beat him for the Intercontinental title on the previous RAW.  He batters him in the corner, then dodges a charging Titus and eliminates him.  He tries Miz next, but the Miztourage comes out for the save, eating Superman punches for their troubles.  It doesn't help much as Miz falls prey to a curbstomp from Rollins, which leads to a Shield staredown, but sadly they join forces instead and eliminate Miz.  Roman then changes his mind and eliminates Seth after all.

Goldust is next, in what has to be one of his last appearances.  He goes straight for Orton and almost eliminates him, but Roman for some reason saves him.  Cena tries an FU, but Goldust escapes and drops Cena to the mat just in time for the final entrant, Dolph Ziggler, who apparently had just changed his mind about retiring.  He drills Cena and Orton with superkicks, but gets caught in a powerslam from Goldust.  Ziggler fights back, however, and eliminates Goldust with another superkick.  He tries for another one on Nakamura, but gets dumped to the apron, then knocked off by Balor who apparently had just woke up from another nap.

We then get a staredown with the final 6 combatants.  The announcers push it as a clash of eras, which says something for Mysterio who was also a part of the Monday Night Wars era.  They all pair off, Cena/Balor, Rey/Roman, and Orton/Naka.  The old blood strikes first, as Rey hits a 619 on Roman followed by an RKO from Orton to Naka.  Orton then crosses line and tries one on Cena, but Cena counters again, resulting in a Reigns Superman punch, and he tosses Orton.  Rey then hits a double dropkick, followed by a double 619 on Cena and Roman.  Rey has the crowd eating out of his hands here.  West Coast Pop to Cena, but Balor takes advantage and tosses Rey, leaving a final four of Balor, Nakamura, Cena, and Reigns.

Nakamura is the crowd favorite as the four men stare each other down.  Cena strikes first, hammering Nakamura as Roman pounds on Balor.  Cena and Reigns then stare each other down, as the crowd chants "you both suck", but Naka and Balor break it up, battering the vets down then having a staredown of their own.  The crowd likes this one a little better.  Naka sends Balor to the apron, but Balor evades elimination.  Balor rolls through a sunset flip and hits Naka with a seated dropkick, and both men are out as the fans applaud respectfully.  Cena and Reigns rejoin, flooring both men with clotheslines, then give the staredown another go.  The crowd doesn't like it anymore than the first time.  Reigns gets the better of the exchange, then sets up the Superman punch, but Cena counters and sets up the Five Knuckle Shuffle, but Balor intervenes, hitting both men with Sling Blades and dropkicks.  He then hits a Sling Blade and double stomp on Naka, but Cena tosses him.  He and Reigns then double up on Nakamura, but Reigns quickly turns on him.  Cena evades and hits the Five-Knuckle Shuffle, but Roman escapes an FU and hits the Superman punch.  He tries another one, but Cena finally hits the FU, but Naka grabs him from behind.  Cena escapes, but Naka counters a suplex and puts him on the apron.  Cena tries to counter with a shoulder thrust, but leaves himself open to a knee strike which eliminates him.  Naka gets the better of a slugfest, but falls prey to a Superman punch and gets dumped to the apron.  He hits a knee and locks in a triangle hold from the apron, but Reigns powers him back in and powerbombs him.  He sets up another Superman punch, but Naka counters with knee strikes.  He goes for the big one, but gets speared instead.  Roman tries to dump him, but Naka escapes, hits a big kick, and tosses him to win the match.

Final thoughts:  The stuff from the final 6 on I thought was really good, especially Rey's performance, but prior to that, aside from the Heath/Sheamus spot, I can't say I was really into that much.  I suppose a lot of other Rumbles are that way, but I suppose I expected more with the fact that this was on the list.  And as you can probably tell, I wasn't a huge fan of Finn's Iron Man run.  From what I saw it just seemed like he kinda layed around most of the time and randomly popped up to eliminate someone.  There are definitely worse Rumbles, but I think I would have ranked this one below the Women's Rumble for example.
@alfdogg765 on Twitter FOLLOW ME

Offline Kahran Ramsus

Re: CXF RumbleRank: #8
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 12:07:47 PM »
I didn't really care for this one.  I thought the Women's one listed at #9 was quite a bit better.  It was okay, but more middle of the road than top ten worthy.

Online Winter Epicland

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 01:17:50 PM »
This was probably the best Rumble of the decade.

Offline strummer

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 02:32:37 PM »
I can remember there being quite a debate over this one here the night of the show. A lot here liked it but quite a few thought it was nothing special and the women's match was much better. In retrospect  Nak pretty much gained nothing from winning this

Offline Aero

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 12:43:32 PM »
I watched this one tonight for the first time since it aired, and I think I feel the same way about it that I did back then—it's pretty average. Didn't feel like there was anything overly memorable.

I may be in the minority, but I'm not always a fan of when the final four/ending sequence has to last nearly 10 minutes. Not saying I want it instantly over either, but this one kind of just dragged for me. It did get better with some big spots between Roman and Shinsuke. I just prefer more of a middle ground, I guess.   

Of course, I say this as someone who went crazy over Taker-HBK in 2007, so mileage varies.

Online THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 08:33:52 AM »
Gonna try sometime tomorrow to have the next one up
@alfdogg765 on Twitter FOLLOW ME

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 12:29:49 PM »
An entire decade of average/poor Rumbles will make the one pretty good one stand out more.  The thing with Slater was a good running joke (and had a good ending with him eliminating Sheamus) and they kept the momentum up pretty well throughout with not all that much dead air.  I do think that the final four is among one of the best in Rumble history.  It's just too bad almost nothing came of it but that shouldn't take away from the match itself being good.

Online Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
  • Sometimes A Friend is Worth A Billion Dollars
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 01:46:49 AM »
I had this one at #9.

I loved the final six and this was definitely one of the least predictable Rumbles of the last 20 years. This or 2017 but that one didn't nearly live up to the hype of "ZOMG! THIS IS THE MOST STACKED RUMBLE EVER!" Heath Slater was great in this match and I love that he got to take out a semi-main event guy in process.