Author Topic: Royal Rumble 2020  (Read 1426 times)

Description: Rumbling Into A New Decade

Online strummer

Re: Royal Rumble 2020
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2020, 12:22:17 PM »
Apparently Ronda is still coming back. They are saving her return for tv

Offline fazzle

« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2020, 12:24:39 PM »
I think we should all just be thankful that this match doesn't have that fucking red lighting (likely cause they can't do it in a baseball stadium?)

Offline muzzington

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2020, 12:31:02 PM »
Bryan's extended selling down the ramp just felt odd.

Online Winter Epicland

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2020, 12:34:12 PM »
Where were Sasha and the IIconics?

I didn't like the repeat appearances from the likes of Kelly Kelly and Xia since they were used in previous years. We should have gotten fresher faces this year. At least Molly came in with a different gimmick.

Not sure I understand the objection to Xia Li, since she's part of NXT's regular roster now, unless you think that every single woman in NXT should get to appear once, before any of them get to appear twice. She had a hell of a lot more business being there than Kelly Kelly, in my opinion.

Pretty much. Obviously, Li deserved to be there more than Kelly but there's women from both NXT rosters like Kay Lee Ray, Piper Niven, Vanessa Bourne, Karen Q, etc. that deserved some shine this year. Hell, this would have been a great way to debut Scarlet Bordeaux.

And no one gave a shit about Lacey/Bayley. I actually feel really bad for Bayley as she's putting so much effort into being a heel but it's just not clicking for a lot of people. Then again, anything following a Rumble is going to die in front of a live crowd.

Offline muzzington

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2020, 12:39:38 PM »

The light up ring posts continue to be a dumb idea.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2020, 12:58:25 PM »
Invalid Tweet ID

Online Winter Epicland

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine

Online Mr. S£im Citrus

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2020, 01:12:33 PM »
I don't see any credible babyface challengers to Bayley on Smackdown, unless they're going to jump Naomi to the front of the line, so maybe they'll have Charlotte challenge her, instead of Becky. At least that would be fresh-ish?

As for Becky, they were obviously saving Ronda for something, let her come back for Mania, to have a one-one-one with Becky. Especially since it was bullshit that Charlotte got put in the match last year, anyway.

Offline muzzington

« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2020, 01:23:27 PM »
I hate this.

Offline Tino Standard

« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2020, 01:23:40 PM »
I don’t care what anyone says. This is awesome.

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • All hail Gritty!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2020, 01:40:35 PM »
I would have rather had Lesnar eliminate everyone than have McIntyre pushed. Drew is so boring.
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Online strummer

« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2020, 01:48:29 PM »
Morrison, Miz, MVP, Edge

2006 Smackdown is great!

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2020, 01:50:52 PM »
Love Edge. That was great.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline NYU

« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2020, 01:51:47 PM »
Looked like AJ got legit hurt after that spear.

Offline Tino Standard

« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2020, 02:10:40 PM »
Great fucking Rumble.

Online Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2020, 02:11:53 PM »
So, does this mean that they're finally going to pay off that "Chosen One" gimmick, from, like, eleven years ago?

Offline fazzle

« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2020, 02:14:01 PM »
Drew vs Lesnar at Mania could be fucking GREAT

• Admin
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2020, 02:15:53 PM »
Wow WWE actually did something I wanted with the men's Rumble for the first time in literally fucking forever.

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2020, 02:16:14 PM »
That is maybe the second best rumble match ever. Perfectly booked. Drew winning was tremendous. I don't know how anyone can think he is boring after the promos he has been doing over the last month or so. He turned himself face just by mic work alone. He's got shit tons of charisma and is a tremendous athletic big.

Brock worked his ass off and they made the rumble feel really different.

Online strummer

« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2020, 02:19:29 PM »
My guess for Mania title matches

Drew v Brock

Ronda v Becky

Roman v Fiend

Charliotte v Bayley v Sasha v Lacey

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2020, 02:21:02 PM »
Wow WWE actually did something I wanted with the men's Rumble for the first time in literally fucking forever.

This. 

Offline Tino Standard

« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2020, 02:26:11 PM »
I spent the entire match thinking “This is great, but it is going to be such a letdown when Reigns ends up getting a win he needs even less than Charlotte did. If they just pull the trigger on someone else for once, this could be an instant classic.”

Didn’t think for a second they’d actually do it. Bravo.

Offline NYU

« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2020, 02:26:25 PM »
I really enjoyed the first half of the Rumble. I thought Brock dominating it was a cool idea and Drew looked like an absolute star eliminating him. I was kind of hoping Keith Lee got that spot instead but the way they did it was perfect anyway.

I don’t think I’m totally sold on Drew as a WrestleMania Main Eventer like everyone else but I’ll certainly give it a chance. It looked like he had good chemistry with Brock and at least it’s a fresh matchup they’ll be going with. Edge looked great also particularly with that leap towards the end of the Rumble. It’s going to be a lot of fun having him back.

Online Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2020, 02:41:04 PM »
I spent the entire match thinking “This is great, but it is going to be such a letdown when Reigns ends up getting a win he needs even less than Charlotte did. If they just pull the trigger on someone else for once, this could be an instant classic.”

Didn’t think for a second they’d actually do it. Bravo.

You guys must all have PTSD from three years ago, or something. Has Reigns even had a title shot, since he went into remission?

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2020, 02:48:13 PM »
Roman has been out of the main event seen the entire time.

• Admin
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2020, 02:48:41 PM »
Roman should be in the title match at Mania, but putting him over twice in one night would be a big mistake. Also, that Rumble spot needed to be used to put someone else over.

Offline muzzington

« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2020, 02:56:03 PM »
I guess I'm always fearful they'll give it to someone who doesn't necessarily need the win instead of someone who it could help make.

Still bummed Cesaro looked like a chump. At least Kofi lasted longer than I thought.

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
  • Sometimes A Friend is Worth A Billion Dollars
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2020, 02:59:31 PM »
Wow. I thought the first half of the match was dogshit. It's one of those things where I definitely get what they were trying to do but I didn't enjoy it. I don't see where CWM thinks Brock was working his ass off. He just made a dozen guys look like total chumps. Granted some of them are total chumps. It felt like overkill. I think they could've accomplished same thing with Brock eliminating 8 to 10 guys in a row instead of 13.

It DID have a great payoff and I thought the end of the Rumble was great. I'm not 100% sold on Drew as a top face but it feels like WWE is trying something DIFFERENT with the Royal Rumble for the first time since Idk---ADR maybe? Hopefully, Drew works better than that.

Women's Rumble felt like a clear step down from first two. It seemed like they went out of their way to avoid doing anything different and watching it with a bunch of casual fans, there was a lot of "Uh. Who is that?"

• Admin
« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2020, 03:05:57 PM »
I thought most of the guys were chumps, but around the point MVP entered the match was when that should have stopped. Obviously MVP should also be treated like a chump, but they could have been better at choosing people for those slots.

Offline Tino Standard

« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2020, 03:06:09 PM »
Roman should be in the title match at Mania, but putting him over twice in one night would be a big mistake. Also, that Rumble spot needed to be used to put someone else over.

This. I don’t think anybody has a problem with Reigns getting a title match against Bray Wyatt at WM at this point. But he’s already a made guy. There are a million other ways to get him into that match. The Rumble was an opportunity to elevate someone else, and they actually did it.

McIntyre now looks like a million bucks and Reigns can still get the Smackdown title match without it coming at the expense of someone else who needed a high profile win more than he did. Everybody wins.

• Admin
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2020, 03:09:08 PM »
Yep. In the aftermath, a good booker will make sure that nobody remembers Reigns was the last man to be eliminated. It will be much more that Edge had a crazy performance in returning from retirement, and that Drew ruined Brock.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2020, 03:09:12 PM »
Brock sold a bunch especially compared to how he normally does. I don't think he made most of the regular guys look that bad. Not anyone that matters. If you consider how Brock has been booked in his career and how this went I think it was fine.

Offline Tino Standard

« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2020, 03:10:16 PM »
Also interesting that six of the 27 guys originally announced for the men’s Rumble ended up not being in the match: Otis, Tucker, Rusev, Lashley, Buddy Murphy, and R-Truth.

Offline fazzle

« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2020, 03:12:00 PM »
Truth wasn't supposed to be in the match.   He undeclared minutes after declaring he was in it

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2020, 03:12:42 PM »
I mean Brock is basically more unkillable than the Undertaker. I don't know what stars he made look bad here. He gave offence to Nakamura and Cesaro before eliminating them. He did cool shit with Lee and Braun. He sold Drews shit like death.

Offline muzzington

« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2020, 03:17:39 PM »
That's being a bit generous.

I guess I'm just tired of Brock.

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2020, 03:18:35 PM »
Cesaro got a few no-sold upper cuts in and Nakamura got one or two semi-sold kicks. I'm not a huge John Morrison guy and I don't think he should go toe to toe but it's odd that he was the one that I think got eliminated quickest since they just brought him in.

Also interesting that six of the 27 guys originally announced for the men’s Rumble ended up not being in the match: Otis, Tucker, Rusev, Lashley, Buddy Murphy, and R-Truth.

Announcers said Rusev and Lashley got into a brawl backstage and weren't participating in the match at some point.

Anyway, it was certainly a unique Rumble. Maybe it'll age well. Another interesting that I don't know if it has been pointed out. Absolutely barely any teased elimination spots. A bit at the end with Roman and Edge but that's only that comes to mind.

Also Edge has to be back at least for a Mania match now, right? 

• Admin
« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2020, 03:26:50 PM »
I'm always tired of Brock until he works, then I forget all of that and remember how much I enjoy him working.

Cesaro got a few no-sold upper cuts in and Nakamura got one or two semi-sold kicks. I'm not a huge John Morrison guy and I don't think he should go toe to toe but it's odd that he was the one that I think got eliminated quickest since they just brought him in.

Announcers said Rusev and Lashley got into a brawl backstage and weren't participating in the match at some point.

Anyway, it was certainly a unique Rumble. Maybe it'll age well. Another interesting that I don't know if it has been pointed out. Absolutely barely any teased elimination spots. A bit at the end with Roman and Edge but that's only that comes to mind.

Also Edge has to be back at least for a Mania match now, right? 

Edge signed a long term deal with a limited schedule. He is definitely back, like BACK. I don't know what limited schedule means though. Maybe he'll be around and he won't work house shows, or he'll be around as often as Brock.

Without advancements in medicine he could never come back, but things are changing pretty fast. It's a matter of time before things like torn ACLs are one or two month injuries.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #88 on: January 26, 2020, 03:30:40 PM »
yeah i bitch about brock and how its bad for the company right until he actually shows up and then I remember that he's one of the absolute best in the world. The reactions from the crowd tonight were tremendous.

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2020, 03:32:42 PM »
I'm not a Brock hater at all. Even at his current stage. There is no doubt in my mind that the match with Drew McIntyre could be one of the best matches of his career. I'm hoping we get good Brock and not alpha dog, I'm an IRL tough guy Brock like his Strowman matches.

I'm going to sound like a Cornette type. I guess it just annoys me that Brock Lesnar gets The Undertaker unkillable monster spot without putting in the same amount of ring time that Undertaker. Obviously, Brock didn't need to do the circuit for years to be believable in that spot but it just bothers me. It's a big part of the reason why I stopped watching RAW and Smackdown regularly. Why should we become invested in these guys on a weekly basis when they're just gonna look like ineffectual chumps when it really matters?

• Admin
« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2020, 03:35:12 PM »
I'm not a Brock hater at all. Even at his current stage. There is no doubt in my mind that the match with Drew McIntyre could be one of the best matches of his career. I'm hoping we get good Brock and not alpha dog, I'm an IRL tough guy Brock like his Strowman matches.

I'm going to sound like a Cornette type. I guess it just annoys me that Brock Lesnar gets The Undertaker unkillable monster spot without putting in the same amount of ring time that Undertaker. Obviously, Brock didn't need to do the circuit for years to be believable in that spot but it just bothers me. It's a big part of the reason why I stopped watching RAW and Smackdown regularly. Why should we become invested in these guys on a weekly basis when they're just gonna look like ineffectual chumps when it really matters?

I was also saying this was a problem, and it is a problem because there has to be a limit to who is made to look like a chump. There's nothing wrong with Elias or Bobby Roode looking like that because that's their role. But Nakamura and Morrison looking like that is too far. I didn't think anyone important looked like a chump at least, the commentary is just bad at getting over what the storyline should be. They should be telling people that these guys are going all out to get rid of Brock and not considering what the rest of the match will be like for them because they're so fixated at getting one over at Brock.

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2020, 03:40:20 PM »
I'm not gonna blame it all on WWE booking. A lot of those guys in the cannon fodder spots had "Mike Tyson opponent in '85-'86 deer in the headlight" expressions. I would've liked to see more intensity. Just cause you are cannon fodder doesn't mean you have to act like it. Cesaro, Nakamura, and oddly, IMO, MVP had the right intensity.

I didn't really get the Shelton Benjamin spot at all. Like do they really expect us to care about their college/OVW days in 2020? And let's face it, even though I think he's gotten a raw deal for a lot of his career, do they expect us to care period about Shelton Benjamin at all in 2020?

• Admin
« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2020, 04:30:44 PM »
It sounds like Edge got huge money for a three year deal. Good for that dude.

Online Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2020, 04:50:19 PM »
I've never been an Edge guy; I lowkey couldn't stand that dude. But, on the positive side, at least him being back means Tony Chimmel will have some work, for a while.

Offline CookieMueller

• Forever blowing bubbles
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2020, 05:15:51 PM »
My guess for Mania title matches

Drew v Brock

Ronda v Becky

Roman v Fiend

Charliotte v Bayley v Sasha v Lacey

I'm here for all of these but I'd change it to:
Charlotte v Bayley v Sasha v Shayna

Shayna made Bayley tap at Survivor Series. It's a perfect entry point for Shayna to challenge her. Her role in NXT is basically done now that Rhea is filling that dominant badass role. I'd rather see her move to the main roster than become just another girl in NXT, which is already so bloated with good women. Smackdown, especially, could use Shayna right now. Plus there would be natural intrigue with both women's Mania matches having the Horsewomen v Horsewomen element that they've been teasing for years.

Offline Sabre

« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2020, 07:27:14 PM »
Where were Sasha and the IIconics?

I didn't like the repeat appearances from the likes of Kelly Kelly and Xia since they were used in previous years. We should have gotten fresher faces this year. At least Molly came in with a different gimmick.

Not sure I understand the objection to Xia Li, since she's part of NXT's regular roster now, unless you think that every single woman in NXT should get to appear once, before any of them get to appear twice. She had a hell of a lot more business being there than Kelly Kelly, in my opinion.

And I love Molly. She's probably my favorite WWE women's wrestler of all time. But the Mighty Molly gimmick without the blonde hair is a no from me, dawg.

Peyton has been doing a lot of Aussie stuff to help out there. Might have been given time off.

Offline skullman80

• Metalhead
« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2020, 10:58:38 PM »
Edge coming back was an awesome moment..

Overlal the right guy got put over in the Rumble. I'll take it. They at least told a cohesive story throughout the rumble that made sense. The first half I didn't care for too much, but storywise for the payoff it made alot if sense. Baby steps.

Overall there was nothing offensive on this show. Lacey still stinks and Roman/Corbin shouldn't have gotten 30 minutes but nothing was God awful.

Happy for Drew to get his chance to shine. He's grown alot since his first stint on the main roster way back when.

Offline Tino Standard

« Reply #97 on: January 27, 2020, 12:07:40 AM »
So, is Vic Joseph done on Raw? Tom Phillips called the Raw matches and Vic was tweeting during the show without acknowledging anything was up. It was weird.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #98 on: January 27, 2020, 01:47:14 AM »
Did the Rollins elimination get a flat response?  I found that odd.

I was a mark again when Edge came oh so close to winning this thing.

I loved the Brock half of the Rumble and the payoff to the AOP interfering bit.   I have nothing against Roman, but I don't feel compelled to watch him.  Orton can retire anytime.  Drew is different at least.

Online Joyful & Soyful

• brock lock
« Reply #99 on: January 27, 2020, 02:09:22 AM »
I buy Brock getting the unkillable Undertaker role way more than The Fiend doing it. Brock has the credentials and when he cares is one of the best and most entertaining in the company.

Men's Rumble is a top 4 Rumble and the best one since 2008. The first half was unique and really well booked. There was some downtime after Brock got eliminated when Dolph and The OC entered, but it picked up big time when Edge returned. I actually found Orton entertaining since lame goofball Orton is way more entertaining than The Viper. No desire to see a Rated RKO vs The OC match though.

Rest of the main show was blah.