Author Topic: Kobe Bryant is dead at the age of 41  (Read 1890 times)

Description:

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
Re: Kobe Bryant is dead at the age of 41
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2020, 12:27:03 PM »
I'm still in shock about this and avoiding most everything Kobe related with any of the players talking about him or any of the tributes because it's going to make me cry.  I've already got teary several times just reading about it.  I can't even tackle any of the tribute podcasts.  This is surreal as fuck.  I slept in late on Sunday and when I checked my phone I saw a breaking news alert about "Kobe Bryant, 41..." and that's all I saw and the wrestler death spidey sense went off, but still wasn't expecting it to be what it was when I clicked on it

Kobe's "2nd act" he actually became one of my favorite players when he transitioned into his "later Jordan" phase and was getting by more on IQ, skill and drive.  Became an ironman playing through all sorts of injuries most guys would sit out weeks or months for.  He earned my undying respect at that point after hitting a nadir with me in that playoff game where he decided not to shoot.  He became an inspiration for me personally at that point as a hooper in my late 20's/early 30's, losing my athleticism, playing hurt, using my IQ and craft to keep hanging with younger cats.  I feel like true hoopheads, whether you loved or hated Kobe you had to have mad respect for him as a player.

Definitely one of the greatest athletes of my lifetime, and being only 3 years older than me I literally saw his entire career going back to when he first got hype in SLAM magazine in shit when he was in HS.  I can't even think of an athlete death comparable to this in my lifetime.  KOBE was MASSIVE in China, all over Asia, all over the world. 

And yea, I don't have any IRL Laker fan friends, so 909 and stillfly were the first people I thought of

:(

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2020, 12:38:36 PM »
a couple more thoughts....his daughter who died, his other 3 daughters, his wife who I think he'd been with since HS?  I can't even imagine that kind of family tragedy

and all the other people on the chopper.  the young woman coach who died had young kids and a young widowed husband.

I like the idea of changing the logo.  I always thought it should be MJ after West was retired, but given how Kobe patterned his game and in a lot of ways his life after Jordan the Kobe fadeaway would be dope

It's also sad to think about how much more Kobe had to give to the world and to basketball.  He'd already begun to do so many things, I thought we'd see another 30-40 years of him being a prominent figure in the NBA and the sports world in general......

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2020, 12:42:57 PM »
oh, and since I didn't see it mentioned the Italian Basketball Federation declared a week of mourning in Italy in honor of him.  Have seen street graffiti in his honour in various places around the world

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2020, 01:23:42 PM »
Also, you know, seeing Jerry West torn up like this really brings some thoughts I don't know how to put into words. The architect of the memories that my grandfather, dad, and myself all shared. This is an 81 year old man going on TV numerous times and telling the world that he's never been more devastated. Old people often die because of stuff like that, and I hope that doesn't happen.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline The Art of Rasslin'

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2020, 02:21:17 PM »

Ernie asks the first question like they're doing some regular nostalgic tribute and Jerry immediately is like fuck that. this is too real, hard to watch

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2020, 04:27:29 PM »
posting about Kobe was cathartic for me because I haven't talked to anyone about it yet IRL

https://wfan.radio.com/media/audio-channel/kendrick-perkins-2

rec everyone listen to this about him talking Kobe.  specially 909 and stillfly

• Admin
« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2020, 08:02:27 AM »

This lady went HAM

Also, now I think it’s a good time to have somewhat of a conversation. I think that in the aftermath of this case, as a society we have increasingly come to believe that shaming those who accuse, whether their accusations are correct or not, is disgusting behavior. While I do and probably always will believe that Kobe was (was is going to be hard to get used to) not a rapist, the way in which he and his defense attorney decided to handle the case was completely reprehensible. I think everyone knows that now, but people didn’t  use to know that for whatever fucked up reason.

What I also think is fucked up is that there are people who have never shown anyone any good side of themselves, like Tyreek Hill for example, who get away with doing something wrong just because the events so happen to take place in a city where they play sports and the investigators favorite team is the team they play for. Ones conduct in the aftermath of doing something wrong, or being accused of doing something, is very important in determining how that person should be remembered and what their legacy should be. Someone like Tyreek Hill is merely building up to actually killing another person.

At the same time, if Kobe was any other black man without money, he would have been sent up the river whether or not he did anything. That is something else we have all come to realize about this society.

The media, and their roles in these things, is something we have not yet really come to examine. And after they reported that Kobe’s whole family died, and that Rick Fox died, we really need to. They are doing actual psychological damage to people when they do shit like that.

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2020, 08:19:05 AM »
Thanks for posting that.

And yeah, people act like we don’t have reprehensible history of white women accusing black men of sexual assault and everything that comes with it

That lady Felicia Sonmez has had a questionable past with sexual assault allegations, so at this point she’s just looking like an unempathetic opportunist. All she’s doing right now is tweeting other people’s articles and hiding behind their words. Not the best person

• Admin
« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2020, 08:29:21 AM »
Another thing that I find really crazy is that many people help others conduct serial rape, like in the case or Harvey Weinstein and Jeffrey Epstein, and all those people get a fucking free pass because it’s easier for people to discuss how Epstein didn’t kill himself. This society needs a serious reality check in how we deal with these problems.

I don’t think the reporter should have been suspended, but vulturing onto someone in the aftermath of a tragedy, knowing that person died with their daughter while going to coach youth basketball, is really weird behavior that I will never understand. I also wonder what’s going to happen to all those kids and how they’re  affected.

Offline Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2020, 08:53:05 AM »
I don’t wanna make it about all of this but someone like Evan Rachel Wood is exactly what this situation is about. It’s about making things about themselves. Or saying something that will get you attention. David Bowie, Woody Allen cool. Why? Because me me me.

https://theblast.com/109231/evan-rachel-wood-tweet-calling-kobe-bryant-a-sports-hero-and-a-r

The hypocrisy and double standard isn’t lost on people.

• Admin
« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2020, 08:56:59 AM »
Man I really hated her character in Westworld so now I don’t feel bad about that at all.

• Admin
« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2020, 09:05:23 AM »
I also think Bowie gets a pass because almost every musician from his era was a pedophile. These also aren’t  accusations but undeniable facts. Guys like Elvis married people who they “dated” as little girls. So it’s hard to just pick on one guy. But for her to perform at his tribute thing, that’s that shit right there.

• Admin
« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2020, 02:20:05 PM »
I just realized how that sounded and I should point out that Bowie was scum and should not get a free pass.

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • All hail Gritty!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
« Reply #113 on: January 29, 2020, 02:26:37 PM »
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #114 on: January 29, 2020, 03:26:28 PM »
I just realized how that sounded and I should point out that Bowie was scum and should not get a free pass.

go fuck yourself

this is the KOBE thread man.  Bowie talk can be had somwhere else......off a cliff.....dying in a fire

my take on the rape thing is same as it ever was.  he cheated on his wife and fucked a girl at a ski resort, and she screamed rape after the fact

call it like I see it.  And let's not act like he wasn't dragged thru the fucking mud hard on a fucking allegation

shit man

I know he cheated on his wife, and that's a shitty thing to do.  But do I think he's a rapist?!?  nah.  Didn't buy it then not buying it now. 

I can definitely believe that with the money he had it made it easier for him....but at the same time.....more complicated.  because if he was just a random dude who fucked a girl it wouldn't have even been a thing

I guess the rape allegation came down to they were fucking and he put it in her butt and she said no and he still did it......which, I don't know man, he should have maybe stopped when she said no, but now we're definitely in he said she said territory which like, whatever.  He's clearly still guilty as all sin to some folks and they will never change their minds on it

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #115 on: January 29, 2020, 03:32:14 PM »
and I definitely don't want to shame or blame the girl, but I don't think she's a victim of a crime.  She wanted the Mamba and she got too much than she asked for

that's my 2003 hot take

BACK THE THE PAST MARTY

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #116 on: January 29, 2020, 06:01:24 PM »
..which, I don't know man, he should have maybe stopped when she said no

...Truly A Hot Take.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #117 on: January 30, 2020, 02:19:52 AM »
I can't believe people like that exist. This board attracts...a certain kind of folk.

but I think after calling people out for 18 fucking years, maybe there's another way

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
  • Sometimes A Friend is Worth A Billion Dollars
« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2020, 02:21:26 AM »
Nothing I read about Bowie's dalliances with underaged girls put him in the "FUCK THAT PIECE OF TRASH FOREVER" category to me. Definitely to be condemned for sure but not #canceled. Let's revisit that on the 5th anniversary of Bowie's death next year.

I don't think the assault should go without mention in obituaries but I don't think it should be the main story and his legacy. He acknowledged his mistake, which is more than 99% of perpetrators and it seemed like he went a long way towards rectifying his behavior. Being a father of four daughters probably went a long way towards changing his viewpoint too.

99% of the people who were like "But KOBE was a Rapist!" are virtue signaling whites. Cancel culture fucking sucks, people.

https://www.thenation.com/article/society/wrestling-in-with-kobe-bryants-forgotten-apology/
I posted this earlier but I figured I'd repost since it got a bit lost in shuffle on Page 2.

Online alkeiper

• Welcoming our new insect overlords
« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2020, 03:07:39 AM »
Kobe was flying above Los Angeles in his private helicopter. He seemed to come away from the allegation intact.

I'll preface all this by saying I didn't like Kobe Bryant. He was the 76ers opponent in the 2001 Finals. He always struck me as arrogant and aloof. I acknowledge that I could have been completely wrong on that. We generally don't know who people really are. Then the rape allegation stuff came around and well, of course I knew Kobe was an asshole. This settles it. Like I said, this is all perception.

The rape allegation itself. Victims deserve to be heard. If she believes she was assaulted, then she was assaulted. But I think the world is a little too complicated itself to paint in black and white. Bryant made a mistake. He was obviously not a serial predator. And from what I have read in the aftermath, he seems to have genuinely grown as a person coming out of all that.  I'm trying to be as fair as possible. But all the accolades for Kobe as a human being confuse me, to be honest.

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2020, 03:12:25 AM »
:(

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2020, 08:06:57 AM »
99% of the people who were like "But KOBE was a Rapist!" are virtue signaling whites.
I got completely ganged up on when I posted something vaguely Kobe passing away related the day after his death. And your observation is spot on, only it was 100% in my case. People I generally agree with 1:1 in social views. Wound up just deleting the post. Once the "R" word gets thrown at someone, regardless of evidence, the accused will never wash that stain off in the eyes of some people. I don't know the answer for how society can respond to things in the news in one direction or the other, but I'm just going to go back to meme spamming jokes on my timeline.

Offline geniusMoment

• Trailer Park Supervisor
« Reply #122 on: January 30, 2020, 08:53:57 AM »
I think part of the issue is sexual assaults are often much more complicated than what was portrayed on tv shows and movies for years (probably until very recently).  It's easy to see the guy in the mask holding a girl down with a knife or gun and know he's the bad guy.  It's an open and shut case.

But, in 90% of these cases that isn't what happened.  It's a relative taking advantage of someone, it's someone being too drunk to really be able to give consent, it's a situation like Kobe's where there was initially consent, but then it becomes a question of what was being consented to etc...

Throw into that, many times it's very hard for the victim to come forward because of guilt or because they don't want the world to know.  And then on top of that, you can say don't prosecute the victim, but that's exactly how the legal system works.  The defense is going to try and do everything possible to get their client off, and in the process of this the victim will at the very least have to relive it all over again.  This in term makes future victims not want to come forward.  But, you also just can't immediately accept the victim at face value and sentence the other party to prison.

Unfortunately sometimes there just isn't an easy solution.

As for Kobe.  Outside of the two people in the room no one will ever really know what happened.  I will say this isn't a Cosby situation where you know he's guilty because there is so much evidence and history.  Do I think he made a mistake that day?  Yes.  But, that doesn't necessarily mean he raped her.   He may have been thinking one thing and her another while whatever happened.  It doesn't make her wrong or him right, but the point is rarely are things as clear as they were portrayed in movies.

From all accounts he seemed to grow as a human.  I feel he should be remembered for the man he became.  But, I understand that a note of what happened will always linger.
Randy!

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #123 on: January 30, 2020, 12:16:48 PM »
99% of the people who were like "But KOBE was a Rapist!" are virtue signaling whites.
I got completely ganged up on when I posted something vaguely Kobe passing away related the day after his death. And your observation is spot on, only it was 100% in my case. People I generally agree with 1:1 in social views. Wound up just deleting the post. Once the "R" word gets thrown at someone, regardless of evidence, the accused will never wash that stain off in the eyes of some people. I don't know the answer for how society can respond to things in the news in one direction or the other, but I'm just going to go back to meme spamming jokes on my timeline.

Oh yeah.  I'm catching shit for pointing out that it's a 15+ yr old allegation, that was in fact adjudicated in a court of law, before a jury, in Colorado.  And as soon as I point out that his money and fame didn't really get him out of it I get shit for that too.  He would have bought his way out of it if he could have.  He lost his biggest sponsors over it (Adidas, McDonalds, Gatorade etc.) and the trial took place during the season.  You think he wanted that shit?

And it's all white females giving me grief of course.  If a dude tries giving me shit I'ma slap em in their stupid mouth

I'm also someone who really didn't like Kobe back then, and me and my friends all leaped to the conclusion he was guilty, mostly because we didn't like him.  Then the girl changes her story several times, more evidence comes out, etc. and by the end of it I was pretty solidly on his side.

I think it's really shitty that he cheated on his wife, and you know that wasn't the first time.  That's a bad mistake, but it's not an unforgivable sin.  She forgave him, and she could have dumped his ass and be set for life

We have a serious problem with people who have a guilty until proven innocent mentality in this country.  That could probably be a thread on its' own.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #124 on: January 30, 2020, 12:19:33 PM »
And he was found innocent, but some people still want to lynch a dead man

Offline Cool, Bad, & Handsome

• KOAB
« Reply #125 on: January 30, 2020, 12:21:47 PM »
guilty until proven I can't handle this new information. yall know jerry buss just got him out spending all that money man he even sent those shirts of lynched kobe to the sheriffs in Colorado yo it's all there like an epicstein weinburger ya heard

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #126 on: January 30, 2020, 12:24:38 PM »
one more thing because this is really pissing me off, where were all these people the last decade+?  As soon as he isn't around to defend himself they want to drag this shit up again

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #127 on: January 30, 2020, 03:10:02 PM »
Kobe was flying above Los Angeles in his private helicopter. He seemed to come away from the allegation intact.

I'll preface all this by saying I didn't like Kobe Bryant. He was the 76ers opponent in the 2001 Finals. He always struck me as arrogant and aloof. I acknowledge that I could have been completely wrong on that. We generally don't know who people really are. Then the rape allegation stuff came around and well, of course I knew Kobe was an asshole. This settles it. Like I said, this is all perception.

The rape allegation itself. Victims deserve to be heard. If she believes she was assaulted, then she was assaulted. But I think the world is a little too complicated itself to paint in black and white. Bryant made a mistake. He was obviously not a serial predator. And from what I have read in the aftermath, he seems to have genuinely grown as a person coming out of all that.  I'm trying to be as fair as possible. But all the accolades for Kobe as a human being confuse me, to be honest.

I feel like this and a lot of similar posts itt can be addressed by the journalist in the Daily Blast video that 909 posted. She can say it better than I can.

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #128 on: January 31, 2020, 02:15:16 AM »
Kobe did seem like he mellowed out a lot once the Shaq feud dissipated from late '00s on. He still seemed very intense but less sociopathic and a better teammate. That's probably just age too.

I don't think there's any bigger sign of that than how (relatively) mellow post 2013, washed era Kobe was. Young Kobe probably would have strangled Robert Sacre and kicked Roy Hibbert in the ding ding but washed Kobe seemed like he handled those shitty teams surprisingly well.

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #129 on: January 31, 2020, 08:19:57 AM »
Moderators, can we temporarily unban still fly for the Kobe Tribute tonight?

Offline Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #130 on: January 31, 2020, 08:21:16 AM »
I thought he came back.

I’m sorry we ever fought, still fly.

• Admin
« Reply #131 on: January 31, 2020, 10:34:10 AM »

Did not know about this.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #132 on: January 31, 2020, 10:44:15 PM »
Even as a rookie Kobe was so good... crazy how young he was at this time.