Author Topic: Kobe Bryant is dead at the age of 41  (Read 2281 times)

Description:

Offline Smues

• Admin
  • Smuesicide
Re: Kobe Bryant is dead at the age of 41
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2020, 11:30:53 AM »
?s=19

I'm leaning towards honest mistake on this one, but it still made me laugh.
I want Jimmy Fallon to be dead. That doesn't make me a bad person.

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2020, 11:36:46 AM »
She said it so easily it couldn't have been that much of a mistake.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

• Admin
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2020, 11:42:25 AM »

lamarodom
Verified
These picture are just the tip of the iceberg of our relationship. He taught me so many things in life that were necessary on and off the court. On the court he taught me how to carve out defenses and how to take my time. How to make winning my ultimate goal. Off the court he taught me to sign my own checks lol. Of course anyone who knows my story knows I’ve suffered a lot of loss but the only loss I can compare this to is when I lost my son. Even though our relationship wasn’t father/son, it was more like him being a teacher and me being his brother. I’m glad I got to be the ying to your yang as far as the locker room was concerned. It was my pleasure. I couldn’t even catch my breath today when I heard this news. I just knew if he was in a helicopter crash he would have been the one to survive. Somehow he would have jumped out and landed on his feet. I’m sitting here thinking about when we would be in practice scrimmaging and you would start the jump ball off with elbowing Sasha in the chest. Like dude it’s 10:30 in the morning lol. You think watching him play was crazy, you gotta think in practice if you scored like 8-9 buckets throughout the practice you had a great practice. I’ve seen him knock off 13-14 in a row in practice!!!! I’m still waiting for the media to come out and say wrong report. No way God took my brother this early. I know I been through my own stuff in life with using drugs and not being good to myself. When I went through that Coma situation if God would have came to me and said we would take me and spare Kobe I would have rather that happened. In honor of my brother I’m up at 4am tomorrow to get to the gym! Gigi gone give you buckets!!!! I love you brother 💔🙏🏿😥 @kobebryant

:'(

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2020, 12:17:06 PM »

I think it's just a horribly accidental mix up of Knicks and Lakers.

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • All hail Gritty!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2020, 12:36:18 PM »
I'm so shocked by the news. It's the only thing we were talking about at work. RIP Kobe, his daughter, and the other passengers on the flight.
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Offline Springtime for Epic

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2020, 12:39:57 PM »
My 14-year-old nephew texted me today saying he was really upset over this. Kobe was his favorite player. I'm heartbroken that his hero is gone now.

RIP Kobe and Gianna Bryant.

Offline THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2020, 12:41:03 PM »
@alfdogg765 on Twitter FOLLOW ME

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2020, 01:06:48 PM »

Offline The Art of Rasslin'

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2020, 01:47:37 PM »

was always someone who believed in the power of the people

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

Offline Cool, Bad, & Handsome

• KOAB
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2020, 02:23:06 PM »
I thought liberals were all about innocent until proven guilty and know about how black males are unfairly targeted by the justice system regardless of their status in the world. Especially when an entire department draws up an order for shirts depicting the accused black man being lynched. But I guess not. After the fact, if it did or didn't happen, the guy was a model of how life should be lived. People shouldn't forget that.

Nah, once you make a mistake you should never get a chance to turn it around

Also, his daughter died in the crash. Why should anyone put that grief on his family. Just shut the fuck up if you don't have anything good to say.

only the biggest pieces of shit do this and they always see themselves as the most "moral" or "good"

• Admin
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2020, 02:32:06 PM »
I thought liberals were all about innocent until proven guilty and know about how black males are unfairly targeted by the justice system regardless of their status in the world. Especially when an entire department draws up an order for shirts depicting the accused black man being lynched. But I guess not. After the fact, if it did or didn't happen, the guy was a model of how life should be lived. People shouldn't forget that.

Nah, once you make a mistake you should never get a chance to turn it around

Also, his daughter died in the crash. Why should anyone put that grief on his family. Just shut the fuck up if you don't have anything good to say.

only the biggest pieces of shit do this and they always see themselves as the most "moral" or "good"

There's also no proof of anything to validate someone's beliefs on this subject, no conviction, the prosecutors dropped the case in a way Kobe could not have been charged again. They didn't have to do that. If you think that it's alright to address someone's death that way when their daughter was killed in the process of that death, especially considering the fucking scum in this country that associate black people with crime all the time, who immediately treat black people like they're guilty, you're just a piece of shit who helps further that ideology along. Whether you want to believe that you are or not. Maybe he did it, maybe he didn't, but people shouldn't be treated like they're guilty when they weren't convicted. The justice system is bent towards putting black people in prison.

You can see from the reaction around the world, from people who actually had encounters with him, the amount of positivity that he brought into the world. You can judge how much that matters for yourself, but nobody wants to hear that kind of shit when someone was flying their kid and their kids teammates to practice (this was certainly not the first time his daughters teammates were treated to that luxury) and their helicopter crashed. The guy's living kids, and his wife, they're gonna feel this shit for the rest of their lives.

Offline pujoljunkie

• Old Navy / Diet Snapple Publishing Group
  • CXF Writer
  • PujolJunkie
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2020, 03:15:40 PM »
I’m not saying that he was a piece of shit or that he was a bad person, that he didn’t learn and grow from his mistakes. Nothing of the sort. What I am suggesting is that a conversation needs to happen. Not today, but as we discuss his legacy, we should be cognizant that Tyreek Hill is playing in the Super Bowl next week. Patrick Kane still plays for the Blackhawks. Big Ben still has a job. KP and Derrick Rose are doing a-ok. None of that is Kobe Bryant’s fault...but how did the way that case played out affect the way we handled KP, Patrick Kane, Ben Roethlisburger etc. It’s important and worth discussing. Not now but soon.

Offline grapeswasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2020, 03:38:42 PM »
The Kobe, Patrick Kane and KP cases are all questionable at best. Patrick Kane was outright a victim of a hoax by his accuser's mother. KP's accuser tried to hold him up for 68k. Someone like 909 is far more qualified to speak on Kobe's case. Everyone wants to believe women but that doesn't mean men are always guilty.

Also if you don't need to have this discussion "now" you could have waited to bring it up. It's not like this thread wouldn't still be going in a few days.

Online Bernie Bro Kamala

• CXF Writer
  • Sometimes A Friend is Worth A Billion Dollars

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2020, 03:59:12 PM »
I need to find a copy of the LA Times tomorrow. I can't think of many places that sell papers. I don't live that close to a bookstore.

• Admin
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2020, 06:23:37 PM »
https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/story/2020-01-26/bill-plaschke-column-on-kobe-bryant

It feels like my childhood fucking died, but I don’t know how to sum it up like Plaschke did.

How is this it? Since Kobe retired he poured his soul into coaching youth basketball and mentoring younger players. There was so much more to give. How is this the end

People always talk about how these kinds of deaths shouldn’t really impact you, but the reaction to this one says it all. There seems to be absolutely nobody in the NBA who doesn’t feel hurt over this, to say nothing of the fans. These kinds of things are supposed to be a persons escape from the brutal reality of a fucked up world and society. You grow up wanting to play like them, or to be like them, you appreciate what you’re watching but it can be hard to remember that it’s fleeting. In the case of Kobe this is especially true because he was always there. As a very young man, who had a lot of problems growing up, at least I knew I could turn on a Lakers game. Maybe it was only a road game, because I didn’t always have cable, but in that case I could just watch the news for what used to be more extensive highlights.

The bitter reality of that tie to your childhood being broken is the fact that someone now knows they will never feel an attachment to another human being they do not know personally in this way. That’s maybe a good thing, and maybe it’s not, I don’t really know. I feel like these kinds of things hurt society in general, this is another case of a common thread between Angelenos being removed when we have fewer and fewer things in common. I don’t think it’s a bad thing to care about other people, and that’s probably something I’m going to take away from this as a person. I think people get too bogged down in hatred when it comes to sports. This is another reminder that people can disappear in an instant, and not a welcome reminder at all. That it’s never the people who truly deserve it is the worst part.

That this would happen while someone is headed to coach youth basketball, with kids in the helicopter, is just sickening.

Offline NYU

« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2020, 08:22:11 PM »

We don’t always have to jump to the conclusion that “it must be racism.” She clearly mixed up the words “Knicks” and “Lakers”. I don’t think she took this opportunity to throw away her entire career by purposely using the N-word on Live TV.

Offline alkeiper

• Welcoming our new insect overlords
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2020, 09:55:42 PM »

We don’t always have to jump to the conclusion that “it must be racism.” She clearly mixed up the words “Knicks” and “Lakers”. I don’t think she took this opportunity to throw away her entire career by purposely using the N-word on Live TV.
My thought there too. There’s no reason to say it purposefully. And I fuck up words like that midstream all the time.

Offline Smues

• Admin
  • Smuesicide
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2020, 01:08:36 AM »
It sounded more like Nakers to me than the n-word.
I want Jimmy Fallon to be dead. That doesn't make me a bad person.

Online Bernie Bro Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2020, 02:07:16 AM »
Also if you don't need to have this discussion "now" you could have waited to bring it up. It's not like this thread wouldn't still be going in a few days.
Death of a controversial but beloved celebrity is one that requires a lot of nuance but if there is anything that the internet is known for, it is nuanced discussions.  ::) ::) ::)

Offline Tino Standard

« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2020, 02:08:29 AM »
I’m still having a hard time processing that this is real. I was at a birthday party for one of my daughter’s classmates when the news broke yesterday. Trying to come to grips with what I was reading as a bunch of 6 year olds were happily running around me, blissfully unaware of what was going on, was something else.

Parenthood has made me a sap, but man...Reading about Kobe and his daughter, as well as the other parents and their daughters, as I was watching my daughter play with all her friends...That shit hit me HARD.

• Admin
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2020, 04:10:01 AM »
The stuff about his daughter is the worst, and I have to try to avoid it because it makes me break down. She didn’t even really get to live a life.

Offline strummer

« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2020, 05:42:48 AM »
ESPN will be re-airing Kobe's final game tonight at 9 pm

Online Bernie Bro Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2020, 06:34:01 AM »

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2020, 06:34:20 AM »
https://store.latimes.com/collections/kobe-bryant/products/kobe-bryant-back-issues

I bought this off the LA Times site since newspaper stands don't exist.

• Admin
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2020, 07:16:10 AM »

• Admin
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2020, 08:05:43 AM »
Another thing I was thinking about at the end of that video, that this is probably the only sport where nearly all the GOATs are still living. To see old guys like Bill Russell and Kareem and Jerry West and Dr. J eulogizing Kobe is really haunting and fucked up. We’ve been fortunate as fans of this sport that the people who played it have largely lived to see their legacy and impact on the game.

It’s just Kobe, Pete Maravich, and Wilt who haven’t made it. And that’s fucked up.

Edit: I forgot that Moses Malone died as well.

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2020, 08:05:54 AM »

Offline MFer

• The Future Has Arrived
  • Admin
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2020, 09:40:45 AM »
Wilt is someone else who I wish we had gotten more years out of.

This may be the best thing Cowherd's ever done.

• Admin
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2020, 10:14:06 AM »

Online Bernie Bro Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2020, 11:12:12 PM »

Online Harley Quinn

• Laugh this off... puddin'!
  • Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2020, 11:34:14 PM »
Apparently Kobe's plane was given approval to fly through foggy conditions (as 909 mentioned in chat) prior to the crash.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/kobe-bryants-pilot-received-clearance-to-fly-in-poor-weather-before-crash/ar-BBZnIWs

"Guzzetti said it appears the weather worsened as the pilot tried to follow special visual flight rules (VFR), which meant he had to fly lower to keep clear of the clouds and be able to see the ground below. He said a question for investigators now will be, 'Why did this flight occur when the weather was so poor?'

Stephen Streiker, a flight instructor who lived in Los Angeles for eight years, said the helicopter flew into an area that rises quickly in elevation in about two miles. With low clouds, he said, a pilot would be squeezed into an ever-decreasing pocket of clear airspace."

Online Bernie Bro Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2020, 11:56:49 PM »
https://www.thenation.com/article/society/wrestling-in-with-kobe-bryants-forgotten-apology/
I thought this was very interesting article I read yesterday RE: Kobe's sexual assault charges.

Offline O.G.

• Slicka than ya average...
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2020, 02:17:47 AM »
It's been two days and I still can't really fathom that he's dead. Half my childhood was spent shooting fadeaway last second jumpers trying to be Kobe, and I hated the Lakers.

This is the biggest celebrity death of this generation. I think people connect to athletes much more than actors or singers and no athlete of Kobe's stature has died prematurely in my lifetime.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2020, 02:37:54 AM »
The only thing I can even remotely compare this to is Dale Earnhardt's death, but that was more of a big deal regionally (southeast, mid-Atlantic areas).  Kobe's death is about 1000x larger on a global scale.

Offline alkeiper

• Welcoming our new insect overlords
« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2020, 03:21:58 AM »
Roberto Clemente is comparable, but that was two generations ago now. But I wouldn't dare compare Bryant with Clemente as a humanitarian.

Offline The Art of Rasslin'

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2020, 03:26:06 AM »
Saying you wouldn't dare is a bit strong.

Bryant was also a champion for people battling cancer. Outside of sending motivational messages to those fighting the disease, he has raised money for research and medical expenses. In 2012, he was part of an all-star telecast that raised more than $81 million for research through Stand up to Cancer.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/27/us/honoor-kobe-bryant-charity-iyw-trnd/index.html

I know Clemente is known for his charity work, but Bryant's impact extends pretty widely as well.

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

• Admin
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2020, 03:36:13 AM »
It's been two days and I still can't really fathom that he's dead. Half my childhood was spent shooting fadeaway last second jumpers trying to be Kobe, and I hated the Lakers.

This is the biggest celebrity death of this generation. I think people connect to athletes much more than actors or singers and no athlete of Kobe's stature has died prematurely in my lifetime.

It's the kind of thing that I think a lot of Kobe fans won't ever be able to get over in the sense of thinking about it constantly. As a kid, I had these kinds of heroes, shit I only really had like three of them. Two of them were Eddie and Savage, and I still think about those guys often when I watch a wrestling show. But Kobe was even more than that, I watched him as an 18 year old kid when I was an 8 year old kid. We all watched him grow up, from being an immature kid to being a great dad and a mentor to all these younger players in all sports around the world. That's not even counting being a Laker fan and watching him play over a thousand games. It's too much dude. I don't know why or how this stuff always happens to people like that, to families, or to kids instead of the people who deserve it.

Online Mr. S£im Citrus

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2020, 04:46:50 AM »

Somebody has never met a Whitney Houston fan. Or a Michael Jackson fan. Or a Selena fan. Or an Amy Whinehouse fan. Or a Prince fan. Or a...

Like, maybe if you had said "more people connect to athletes..." instead of "people connect more to athletes...", and maybe that's what you actually meant, but the idea that people didn't grieve Michael Jackson like they're grieving Kobe Bryant is some "I haven't been outside of my bubble in a minute" thinking.

Online Hawk 34

• Death Pool Winner
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2020, 04:51:39 AM »
Whitney, Amy and Jackson had been train wrecks for years leading to their deaths.   It’s the suddenness of Kobe that has been the jarring part. How they all died played a factor in the heaviness we have felt from the aftermath, that’s the thing people are talking about. This isn’t a death value ranking system people are having.   

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2020, 04:53:57 AM »
When a celebrity dies, I usually find it sad but it doesn’t linger with me the way this one has.  As I’ve stated before, I grew up a Celtics fan but also took to following the Suns when my family moved here at a young age and games across country weren’t as accessible as they are now.  Kobe put a dagger in the heart of both those teams and gave me heartache but he was always someone I loved to watch when not playing my teams.  I remember there were rumors of Kobe going to Phoenix during the Shaq feud and I was going nuts.

I think, as others have mentioned, I was super young when Kobe came into my knowledge and he was such a force, it seems surreal.  I remember the girls swooning over him as a rookie pretty boy that was coming in behind Eddie Jones and Nick Van Exel to his rise of becoming a legitimate superstar.  I remember my Nintendo 64 coming with his game.  I saw his whole career, watched a good chunk of his life play out on national TV.  Then you add in the sadness of his daughter being there and everything else.

I’m curious what continues to come out with the flight as it really feels to me it should not have been allowed.  I’ve seen the special clearance but had read things like LAPD didn’t have their own helicopters out that morning with it being too dangerous.

Nike halted sales of his product lines for now to try to figure out the future as well as trying to temper 3rd party sellers, as everything with his name tied has been selling out online and popping up places at ridiculous markups from people trying to make a buck on his death.  I had told my buddy Saturday night that I was pricing a certified autograph of his when LeBron passed his record, trying to find the right time to buy.  That led to updates following his passing Sunday which obviously were astronomical increases.

I had to step back and not watch any of the sports shows yesterday because it was just too much but recorded them so I can visit later.  I don’t know if this one will ever set in.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Online Mr. S£im Citrus

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2020, 04:58:43 AM »
Whitney, Amy and Jackson had been train wrecks for years leading to their deaths.   It’s the suddenness of Kobe that has been the jarring part. How they all died played a factor in the heaviness we have felt from the aftermath, that’s the thing people are talking about.

I don't particularly agree with this, but I don't want to turn this thread into a pissing contest, so I'll back off. Consider it dropped.

• Admin
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2020, 05:05:08 AM »
Whitney, Amy and Jackson had been train wrecks for years leading to their deaths.   It’s the suddenness of Kobe that has been the jarring part. How they all died played a factor in the heaviness we have felt from the aftermath, that’s the thing people are talking about. This isn’t a death value ranking system people are having.   

It’s also that it wasn’t just Kobe, it was his daughter who’s on tv all the time, and all those other families he was doing a kindness for. It is impossible to understand this.

Online Bernie Bro Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2020, 05:34:21 AM »
Spencer Dinwiddie is going to switch his number in honor of Kobe.

I thought the idea of the NBA retiring Kobe's number(s) seemed far fetched at first but between this and The Mavericks doing it, it seems like plausible.

• Admin
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2020, 05:39:22 AM »
I think it shouldn’t be retired, but the people who wear it should only be doing it in his honor.  The logo or the MVP award name should be changed though. Jerry West doesn't even want it, and considering how many players follow in MJs legacy, a fade-away jumper is a completely appropriate tribute that extends to Kobe and further.

Online Bernie Bro Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2020, 05:58:01 AM »
Yeah. I'm of the mindset that only retired number in North American Sports should be Jackie Robinson's. I know the NHL retired Gretzky's, which I sort of get since he was GOAT in his sport by a pretty significant margin (and #99 is a weird ass) but it sets a weird precedent if Kobe gets it for his accomplishments. and I'm sure Kobe wouldn't want something like this just cause he died young.

• Admin
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2020, 06:04:00 AM »

Kobe would want basically none of what has been said, and would probably want his daughters death to be focused on way more. Which again, is part of why this is painful. As a Lakers fan I always felt like this guy grew up at the same time as me.

As it relates to the crash itself, I meant to say this earlier, but after reading the details I%u2019m not surprised they crashed. LA is not a very flat city, there are a lot of elevation changes here. It%u2019s dangerous enough that the pilot should have set it down in the street. Also, the flight started at John Wayne, so it isn%u2019t really like they knew they would be flying into super dangerous fog. Fog can be different around here based on small distances alone. The other day I was driving home at 5 AM and encountered some fog that was so bad I couldn%u2019t see five feet in front of me. That only lasted for around a half mile.

• Admin
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2020, 10:09:22 AM »
This Shaq stuff on TNT will just break you.

Offline pujoljunkie

• Old Navy / Diet Snapple Publishing Group
  • CXF Writer
  • PujolJunkie
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2020, 11:23:02 AM »
ASG MVP is probably the award you'd want to name after him. I didn't know Jerry West didn't like being the logo, so I guess that'd be alright. League wide jersey retirement seems a little odd, especially because it's two numbers.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2020, 11:32:37 AM »
I think All Star MVP is the way to go.  They named the Finals after Russell already.  Though he should’ve gotten more, he only won one regular season MVP.  He’s tied for most all time ASG MVPs with four and with it being next month, think it happens.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater