Author Topic: CXF RumbleRank: #6  (Read 197 times)

Description:

Offline THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
CXF RumbleRank: #6
« on: January 26, 2020, 06:08:30 AM »
6. Royal Rumble 2007 (42 points)

Had to go to Dailymotion for a full version of this one because Chris Benoit.

Ric Flair, drawing #1 for the second time, starts off with Finlay, experiencing a career resurgence post-WCW.  Thankfully, Lil' Naitch is always there to look out for Flair, as he takes the shillelagh away from Finlay.  Finlay takes advantage early, hammering Flair in the corner, but Flair turns it around and starts chopping away.  Flair takes a backdrop, and then Finlay tries to eliminate him to no avail.  Kenny Dykstra is #3, and quickly takes some chops from Flair, but Finlay attacks from behind.  Kenny tries to join in, but Finlay tries to eliminate him.  Flair intervenes, then trades blows with Kenny as Finlay stands back and watches.  Matt Hardy is the next entrant, and goes to work on Kenny, hitting him with a Side Effect.  He then tries to dump Finlay, as Edge is the next entrant.  He hits Flair and Finlay with spears, but Matt dodges another attempt and hits a Twist of Fate.  Flair rolls to the outside and brings in 2 chairs, as Lawler speculates that it was for a Conchairto on Edge.  However, Kenny intervenes, distracting Flair long enough for Edge to toss him to the floor.  Kenny then mocks Flair's strut...and Edge tosses him, as well.

#6 is Tommy Dreamer.  This is the first Rumble after the ECW revival.  He assaults Edge, as Cole discusses the Great Khali being in ECW, which I have no recollection of at all.  Finlay kicks Matt in the jaw, then drops Dreamer with a clothesline.  JBL gets a stiff jab in at Lawler as the announcers discuss him hiding under the ring during a Rumble match, saying he thought there was a young chick under the ring.  Finlay attempts to get Dreamer out as Sabu makes his way out, immediately setting up a table on the outside, but doesn't use it.  He goes at it with his ECW comrade Dreamer, to the surprise of the announcers.  Hardy and Sabu go at it next, as the intervals seem quicker than normal.  Is it just me?  Gregory Helms, sans Hurricane gimmick, is next, and goes at it with Hardy as Finlay is almost dumped by Sabu.  Helms has Hardy in trouble as Shelton Benjamin is out next, going at it with Finlay and Hardy.  He and Hardy take turns trying to suplex each other out, as Kane enters next.  Yeah, it has been a while since an elimination.  He chokeslams Edge, then tosses Dreamer to the outside, and chokeslams Sabu through his own table at ringside, which didn't seem to break his fall too much.

CM Punk is up next, going after Edge, and delivering a knee in the corner.  King Booker is next, taking it right to Helms and tossing him to the floor.  He works over Punk next, as Finlay surprisingly has Kane teetering.  Super Crazy is #13, getting a surprisingly big pop.  Who knew that he would have the longest tenure out of the Mexicools?  This leads to JBL randomly taking a shot at Mil Mascaras, as Booker and Finlay revive their WCW rivalry.  Jeff Hardy is the next entry, as he and Matt work over Finlay, delivering a double suplex, then team up on Edge.  They control the ring for the next period, until the Sandman comes out of the crowd as the next entrant, whacking the Hardys and Super Crazy with his kendo stick before Booker abruptly tosses him.  Huh.  Crowd didn't like that one.  Finlay tries to toss Jeff, who skins the cat, as Randy Orton is in next.

Orton and Edge quickly take over the ring, tossing Super Crazy, and then both Hardys.  They go to work on Punk next, as Chris Benoit is the next entrant.  He delivers chops for all, then hands out German suplexes before Finlay slows him down.  Rob Van Dam is in next, delivering kicks before Booker ambushes him.  He blocks a turnbuckle with a kick, and Booker staggers into Kane, who tosses him to the floor.  Booker then slides back in and attacks Kane, clotheslining him to the floor and continuing the assault on the outside.  Viscera makes his way out as this is going on, and he and Shelton attempt to eliminate Edge as RVD hammers Finlay down with kicks.  Johnny Nitro is out next, but gets stopped in his tracks by Viscera.  Orton and Edge then stand on him in the corner, as Shelton impressively avoids elimination by Benoit, hanging onto the bottom rope with both hands while somehow keeping his feet off the floor.  Kevin Thorn is in next, but loses an exchange with Benoit and gets pounded in the corner.  Hardcore Holly is next, doing nothing of note, as Cole discusses RVD's "Gumby-like" flexibility.  Everyone tries to eliminate Viscera, as Shawn Michaels comes out, exchanging blows with Finlay, and clotheslining him to the floor.  He then hits SCM on Viscera, and this time everyone succeeds in getting him over the top.  Shawn backdrops Shelton to the floor, then exchanges blows with Holly, as Chris Masters is the next entrant, working over Benoit and RVD as Rated RKO doubles up on Shawn.  Nitro goes to the second rope, and gets knocked to the floor by Benoit.  Chavo Guerrero is next, as Benoit pulls Thorn to the floor from the apron.  MVP is out next, as RVD blocks an elimination attempt by Masters and dropkicks him to the floor.  MVP works over Benoit as Orton tries to eliminate Punk.  Carlito is #27, as RVD attempts to eliminate Michaels.  Chavo helps out, but Shawn is able to fight his way back in.  The Great Khali is out next, and starts giving weak-looking headbutts to people, and a few chops, but even the announcers point out that he's not throwing them out.  But as they say it, he starts tossing guys.  Holly out, Benoit out, Miz in and out, RVD, Punk, Carlito, Chavo out.  Khali wanders around the ring, until Shawn points out where the hard camera is so he can pose.  (caught that one thanks to Botchamania)

And of course, the Undertaker is #30.  Taker fires off rights on Khali, who just kinda stands there, until Taker finally forces him over the top with a clothesline.  He then goes old school on MVP, and eliminates him, leaving him with Edge, Orton and Shawn as the Final Four.  MVP lies a chair in the ring, and Orton grabs it and clocks Taker.  Edge seemingly attempts a spear on Orton, but Orton raises the chair to stop him in his tracks.  After a brief exchange of words, Orton hits Shawn with an RKO, and Shawn rolls to the outside.  Edge and Orton then come together to work over Taker, who has been busted open by the chair.  Taker fights back, however, hitting both guys with clotheslines in the corner, then later a double clothesline.  Snake eyes and a boot for Edge, then a chokeslam attempt on Orton, but Edge comes back with a spear and another chairshot.  They then set up a Conchairto, as Shawn rolls back into the ring.  Orton goes after Shawn, but Shawn backdrops him out, then superkicks Edge out after dodging a chairshot.

Down to two.  Shawn strikes first, pummeling Taker in the corner, but Taker keeps shoving him off.  Taker then turns the table, delivering his own blows in the corner, but can't eliminate him, and Shawn comes back with chops.  Taker misses a charge and ends up on the apron, but Shawn can't knock him to the floor.  Taker comes back in after an elbow strike, but gets hit with a swinging neckbreaker.  Taker comes back with a boot, then uses a suplex to lift him to the apron, but Shawn fights him off, then goes to the top, where Taker stops him, but Shawn hammers him down and hits the elbow from the top.  SCM is countered with a chokeslam, but Shawn escapes a Tombstone attempt and finally hits SCM, leaving both guys on the mat once again.  Shawn gets to his feet first and tries another one, but Taker catches this one and dumps him to the floor to win the match.

Final thoughts:  Wasn't really into this one too much until the Final 4, and the Khali portion just left a bad taste in my mouth.  But I definitely get all the support that it got, because the ending was great.  If the 2010 Rumble had the ending that 2007 had, it might be the best Rumble ever.
@alfdogg765 on Twitter FOLLOW ME

Offline Joyful & Soyful

• brock lock
Re: CXF RumbleRank: #6
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 06:17:30 AM »
The Taker vs Shawn part is up there as some of the best in ring action ever in the Rumble. The rest was fairly middling and dull so it didn't make my list.

Online Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
  • Sometimes A Friend is Worth A Billion Dollars
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 06:18:40 AM »
It didn't make my list because I completely forgot how much I enjoyed that end sequence. I probably would put in at #10 if I had to redo my list.

That whole show is pretty underrated.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 06:42:57 AM »
Had this towards the bottom of my list mostly due to the ending sequence.  Somebody must have had it near the top for it to rank #6.

Offline Winter Epicland

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 08:38:18 AM »
See, this is another one I'm not too crazy about outside of the excellent ending sequence.

Online Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
  • Sometimes A Friend is Worth A Billion Dollars
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 08:42:45 AM »
It is probably the best final two sequence in Royal Rumble history but does that make it Top 10 (let alone just outside of Top 5)? I really don't know. Obviously, someone here really liked it.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 10:11:50 AM »
I had it around here as well.  Best final two ever.

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • All hail Gritty!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 12:39:49 PM »
Had this towards the bottom of my list mostly due to the ending sequence.  Somebody must have had it near the top for it to rank #6.

That was probably me. I think it started the Taker/HBK Wrestlemania matches.
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Offline THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 01:38:37 PM »
Was gonna have #5 up tonight but something came up.  I'll have it tomorrow
@alfdogg765 on Twitter FOLLOW ME