Author Topic: CXF RumbleRank: #4  (Read 208 times)

Description:

Offline THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
CXF RumbleRank: #4
« on: January 30, 2020, 01:44:08 PM »
4. Royal Rumble 2008 (62 points)

The Rumble is back in the Garden, and they went all out this time, getting Michael Buffer to do the opening intros!  The Undertaker and Shawn Michaels are 1 and 2 in the "random" drawing.  Shawn becomes the first person to start three Rumble matches (95, 03, 08), later joined by Chris Jericho (03, 13, 17).  The action is somewhat less thrilling then when they finished the Rumble the previous year.  Santino is #3, puffing his chest out at Taker before eating Sweet Chin Music from Shawn, and Taker tosses him.  Shawn tries to capitalize and dump Taker, which doesn't work out as Taker pummels him.  He tries to go Old School, but Shawn yanks him down.  BTW, I'm not a fan of this 6-person announce team.  The Great Khali is #4, as Taker hits a chokeslam on Shawn and pounces Khali right away.  Khali quickly overpowers Taker, and goozles him, but whiffs on a big chop and Taker dumps him.  Quite the fall from grace for Khali, who had been WHC just 4 months earlier.

Next up is Hardcore Holly.  Or maybe we should call him the Nose Break Kid, as he immediately comes in and stomps right on Shawn's face.  Taker takes some shots from Holly, but floors him with a boot, as Shawn tries to dump Taker again to no avail.  Shawn and Holly exchange chops in the corner, as John Morrison joins the frey.  He goes after everyone, while avoiding Taker in a funny spot.  Eventually Taker catches up with him, and then Shawn tries to toss him, but he hangs on.  Shawn maintains the advantage and drops the elbow from the top.  Tommy Dreamer is up next, as Holly hits the floor when he obviously wasn't supposed to, and the ref has to act like only one foot hit.  Dreamer gets some shots in on Shawn as the E-C-Dub chants fill the arena, but Taker stops him in his tracks with a big boot.  Shawn and Morrison continue to have some nice action together.  Batista is #8, and immediately hits Dreamer with a spinebuster, then drops everyone with clotheslines until just he and Taker are standing.  The crowd awaits the showdown, but Dreamer intervenes, so Batista tosses him to the floor, which the crowd doesn't like.  Morrison hammers on Batista, but gets speared, and Taker takes advantage and hammers on Batista in the corner.

Hornswoggle is #9.  I had forgot about the Hornswoggle McMahon storyline.  He looks into the ring and thinks better of getting inside, so he goes underneath the ring instead.  Batista spears Taker, then Shawn joins in and the three of them exchange blows as Holly chops away on Morrison across the ring.  Chuck Palumbo is in next, as some commentary appears to be cut out.  He has a big handkerchief hanging out of his pants for some reason.  He goes to work on Shawn, but gets pummeled by Taker.  Jamie Noble is next, and apparently he and Palumbo have beef at this time.  Noble is selling injuries from a Palumbo assault recently.  He fights valiantly, but Palumbo eliminates him in short order.  CM Punk is in next, as Morrison escapes elimination once again.  Punk delivers knees to Morrison and Shawn, but Taker clotheslines him to the mat as he brings Shawn out of the corner.  Palumbo tries to toss Punk, but Punk slips out and tosses him to the apron, then knees him to the floor.  He almost eliminates Shawn next, as Cody Rhodes enters.  He and Holly are tag champs at this point, and he goes to save Holly who is being battered by Taker.  Taker no-sells for a bit, then tries a chokeslam, but Cody breaks free and dropkicks him to the mat.  Batista backdrops out of a piledriver attempt from Shawn, as Umaga is the next entrant.  He starts wrecking shit with clotheslines, then absorbs some chops from Holly and eliminates him.  He then hammers away on Taker, as Snitsky is in next.  He has a shaved head and face now and looks like a roided-up version of Neal McDonough.  He hammers on Punk and Morrison, but Cody makes the save, almost eliminating himself in the process.  The Miz is in next, saving Morrison from Punk as Taker hammers Umaga and tries to eliminate him.  Shelton Benjamin is next, and he slides in and leaps to the top rope, wowing the crowd as he guillotines Miz and Morrison at the same time.  He then takes down Punk...and Shawn superkicks him to the floor.  Shelton always got a raw deal around this era and I just don't get why they jobbed him out like this.  Next up is...Jimmy Snuka?  It got a nice reaction from the crowd, I'll give them that.  He comes in and chops away at everyone, no-selling everything, including a headbutt from Taker.  Guy can barely move in there, but is still somehow more believable than the Great Khali.  Just to pile on, here comes Roddy Piper for one last showdown with Snuka.  At least CM Punk liked it!

Kane is next, coming in and dumping both guys immediately.  Miz takes a chokeslam, then Kane focuses on Umaga.  Taker lies in wait to seemingly chokeslam Kane, but changes course and goozles Shawn instead.  Umaga breaks it up as Carlito is the next entrant.  He spits apple in Cody's face on the way in, then goes around the ring taking shots until getting stopped by Morrison.  Morrison and Punk form a surprising alliance, double-teaming Carlito, but Carlito escapes an elimination attempt.  Punk suddenly kicks Morrison, then gets hit with the Backstabber after another kick misses.  Mick Foley is the next entrant.  Was this one advertised?  I don't recall this comeback tour.  The crowd chants his name as he hammers away on Kane and hits a double-arm DDT.  The ring is REALLY starting to fill up now as this is getting hard to follow.  Lots of guys just laying around, too.  Mr. Kennedy is in next, and he drills Cody with a kick in the corner.  He makes the mistake of mocking Taker, and eats a chokeslam for his efforts.  Big Daddy V is up next, as Taker goozles Snitsky and pushes him to the floor...and when he turns around, Shawn superkicks him out.  Shawn rubs it in, allowing Kennedy to toss him from behind.  And poor Shawn can't even escape abuse on the floor, as a cameraman collides with him as he's leaving.  Taker takes out his frustrations on Snitsky, legdropping him on one of the announce tables.  Mark Henry is next, and he and Vis control the ring, as Hornswoggle comes out of hiding long enough to pull Miz off the top rope to the floor.  Chavo Guerrero is next, the newly-crowned ECW champion according to the announcers.  He goes at it with Punk, who he dethroned for the belt.  It shows how seriously they took ECW as a brand as their champ is just thrown into this match.  Morrison is eliminated by Kane after a nice performance.  Henry tries to eliminate Cody, and Hornswoggle tries the same stunt again, but it backfires, as Henry yanks him into the ring.  Henry and Vis surround him, until Finlay runs in with the shillelagh for the save.  JR later announces that Finlay is disqualified.  Elijah Burke is #28, as Batista rolls to the outside.  Chavo pulls Punk to the floor from the apron, then hammers Foley, as HHH is in.  Ahhh, so that's why they filled the ring up so much.  Cody is out.  Vis is out.  Facebuster for Umaga, and then he slugs it out with Foley, to the delight of the Garden fans.  It doesn't last long, as HHH quickly gains advantage, and shoots Foley into Burke, and they both go to the floor via a Cactus clothesline.  Pedigree for Umaga as #30 hits.  And...it's John Cena.

This was a big stunner, as Cena was expected out for several more months with a serious (legit) injury.  And the fans actually pop huge for this appearance.  HHH waits on him, but is ambushed by Henry, who takes on Cena himself.  Cena hits him with a shoulderblock.  Carlito gone, Chavo gone, Henry gone, and then we get the showdown.  They exchange blows for a bit, and HHH gets the edge, but is cut off by Umaga.  He sets up the spike, but gets speared by Batista, who then clotheslines Kennedy to the floor, followed by Umaga shortly after.  It's the final four, which is quickly trimmed to three, as Kane goozles HHH and Batista, but they deliver boots to the gut and toss him to the outside.

So we're down to 3, and now the crowd is booing Cena again.  Weird.  Batista is the first to gain the advantage, running through both guys with a double clothesline, then hitting Cena with a spinebuster.  HHH tries a Pedigree, but Batista counters into another spinebuster.  He goes for a Batista Bomb on Cena, but Cena backdrops out, and HHH clotheslines Batista to the floor.  Cena takes control on HHH after a slugfest, hitting the Five Knuckle Shuffle.  Both men clothesline each other after a few finisher reversals.  Cena gets to his feet first, and tries to FU HHH to the floor, but he blocks it and hits a DDT.  He tries to dump Cena, and after a struggle and more countered finishers, Cena finally FUs him to the floor to win the match.

Final thoughts:  I thought this Rumble was just OK.  Not great, not bad.  John Morrison gave a nice showing, and did some nice stuff with Shawn, and I did kind of like the Piper appearance, I admit.  The Hornswoggle stuff was silly, but I don't think it really hurt the match.  But I thought there were just way too many guys in the ring throughout the second half of the match, and it just kind of felt like an ego-stroking session for HHH.  Cena's surprise comeback was a cool moment, and the ending was decent, but it was actually better when Batista was in there with them.  Decent Rumble, but no way I would have it this high on the list.
@alfdogg765 on Twitter FOLLOW ME

Offline Winter Epicland

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
Re: CXF RumbleRank: #4
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 02:02:10 PM »
I really liked this one. The little touches like HBK and Taker (the final two from the previous year's Rumble) starting, getting Michael Buffer to do the intros, Snuka and Piper reigniting their rivalry, and Mick Foley putting in an appearance made this one of the more memorable Rumble in history. Not to mention Cena unexpectedly showing up and MSG going crazy only for them to boo him out of the building once he wins lol.

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 03:42:32 PM »
Cody shared a story in an interview about his interaction with Taker here.  Someone spliced the footage with the story but it got pulled from YouTube.  For now it can still be viewed at this link - https://streamable.com/8i54h
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 05:56:15 AM »
I always liked the MSG Rumbles with their unique entrances.  I had this towards the bottom of my list because it's a good Rumble with a very memorable ending, but #4 overall?

Online Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
  • Sometimes A Friend is Worth A Billion Dollars
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 06:00:49 AM »
I had this in my Top 5. Maybe even Top 3. I guess my short term memory is shot.

I thought it was super strong overall. Very little dead spots and I think so far this poll seems heavily weighed towards Rumbles with strong endings and this has a FANTASTIC ending.

My top three predictions (in descending order) are; '01, '04, and '92

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 11:01:15 AM »
I liked this one and it did make my list, but this is a little high.  I definitely don't like it as much as 1990 or 2010.  But I can't complain too much.  I think I had it at around #7 so it isn't completely out of place.

Offline O.G.

• Slicka than ya average...
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2020, 04:16:35 PM »
I've been rewatching the Rumbles thanks to this countdown (annoyed with myself for not voting) and this one seems too high. As mentioned above, 2010 and 1990 are definitely better. The second half has too many guys in the ring and the whole just thing just dies between HBK/Taker going out and Cena coming in.

Offline Aero

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2020, 05:16:47 AM »
I've been rewatching the Rumbles thanks to this countdown (annoyed with myself for not voting) and this one seems too high. As mentioned above, 2010 and 1990 are definitely better. The second half has too many guys in the ring and the whole just thing just dies between HBK/Taker going out and Cena coming in.

Yeah, this is pretty much how I feel on this one. It wasn't on my list, but it would have been in that #11-13 range.

Without thinking about it too much, I'd say John Cena at #30 here is probably the best surprise entrant ever? Of course, most tend to be one-off, joke entries anyway, so winning goes a long way as far as impact/memorability.