Author Topic: CXF Rumble Rank: #1 (plus voting results)  (Read 180 times)

Description:

Offline THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
CXF Rumble Rank: #1 (plus voting results)
« on: February 04, 2020, 08:56:49 AM »
1. Royal Rumble 1992 (116 points, 10 first-place votes)

Do I even need to do a walkthrough on this one?  No...but I'm gonna!

The British Bulldog starts the match off with Ted DiBiase, as Heenan is already anxious during Fink's intros.  DiBiase controls the action the ring, as Davey gets no offense until DiBiase tosses him to the apron and turns to gloat to the fans, then turns back around only for Davey to clothesline him to the floor.  Quite the surprising early elimination; even as a kid watching it happen I was a bit surprised that DiBiase went out so early.  Time for #3, and well, I think we all know.

Gorilla is rubbing it in big-time to a frustrated Bobby Heenan.  If you owned the Coliseum Video version of this PPV, Flair actually spoiled his number in an interview with Lord Alfred Hayes prior to the match.  Davey quickly overpowers Flair, dropping him with a military press slam and a clothesline.  Jerry Sags is #4.  Knobbs was supposed to be  in the match, as well, but was subbed out due a a dislocated shoulder per storyline.  In reality, he had been stabbed multiple times during a traffic altercation a couple weeks prior.  Sags ambushes Davey, leading to a double team along with Flair.  Davey bounces out of the corner with a double clothesline, then dumps Sags to the apron and dropkicks him to the floor.  Haku is in next, filling in for Marty Jannetty, who had injuries sustained when he dove through a Barber Shop window.  Haku goes after Davey as well, then turns on Flair, who lays in some chops that have no effect.  Flair runs, and Haku goes back after Davey, hitting a nice piledriver.  After a decent three-way, Davey backdrops Haku to the floor.  The freshly heel-turned Shawn Michaels is #6, and gets snatched up by Flair right away.  However, Shawn fights out of the corner, giving Flair a backdrop and a "crescent kick", aka the future Sweet Chin Music.  Except he actually kicked his hands.  Whatever.  He goes after Davey next, but gets press slammed and almost eliminated, but hangs on.  He then gets crotched in the corner, as Tito Santana is next, going right for Flair.  He has him halfway over the ropes, but Shawn makes the save and starts making guacamole out of El Matador.  Flair delivers a back suplex, then low blows Davey.  Santana comes to, however, and hits the flying forearm.  Barbarian is #8, and word on the street is he doesn't like Flair.  He goes after Davey first, however, and tries to toss him as Flair assists. Texas Tornado is next, rekindling his rivalry with Flair, dropping him with the Tornado punch.  He hammers Flair in the corner, but Flair counters with a reverse atomic drop as Davey slingshots Shawn into the corner then drops him with a clothesline.

Repo Man is #10, sneaking into the ring and hammering on Shawn, as Flair tries to eliminate Davey.  Barbarian holds Tito for some chops for Flair, who then works over Tornado in the corner, as Greg Valentine makes his way out.  Less than a month later, he was one half of the WCW US tag team champions.  He and Flair exchange chops, as Davey steps in to assist Valentine.  Nikolai Volkoff is the next entrant, and the crowd is unimpressed.  He is the fill-in for Knobbs.  A quick look at thehistoryofwwe.com shows that Volkoff didn't make a single appearance for the WWF from Survivor Series '90 until this match.  Valentine puts the figure-four on Flair, which gets a nice reaction, as Repo backdrops Nikolai out.  Or, a more accurate description would be Repo ducks and Nikolai jumps over him to the floor.  Big Boss Man is next, passing out rights to everyone, as Repo tosses Valentine to the floor.  Boss Man almost eliminates Shawn, but Repo saves, only to get tossed to the floor himself.

Flair finally dumps Davey to the floor, then dumps Tornado right after.  Shawn and Tito go over the ropes together, as Hercules, still with the Power & Glory tights, makes his way to the ring.  He goes right after Flair, much to Heenan's disdain, as Gorilla of course reminds him of how he treated Herc.  Flair shrugs off Herc's attack, and gives a high-five to Barbarian, then immediately starts chopping him.  That doesn't work out too well for him, as Barbarian fights back with a press slam.  Were they testing Barbarian's reaction as a babyface around this time?  He had had two recent heel vs heel matches on TV as well against Berzerker and Hercules where he was playing the babyface.  Even got to rough up the managers a bit.  Anyway, Barbarian tries to dump Flair, but gets dumped himself by Hercules, who gets clotheslined out by Boss Man, leaving him alone with Flair.  Boss Man pummels him, but Flair ducks on a charge across the ring, and Boss Man goes tumbling over the ropes to the floor.  Flair is alone in the ring until the next entrant...Roddy Piper.

Piper goes apeshit on Flair of course, even chasing him outside the ring, and eventually delivering an airplane spin and locking in the sleeper.  He keeps it on until Jake Roberts makes his entrance, sliding in and sitting down in the corner, and eventually attacking Piper.  He helps Flair up, then gives him a short-arm clothesline.  He then sets up the DDT, leading to one of the most memorable commentary bits from Heenan.

Hacksaw Jim Duggan is next, hammering Flair and delivering a clothesline.  Jake eventually drops him with a reverse atomic drop, as IRS is the next entrant.  Duggan catches him by the tie and delivers some shots, as Jake and Flair try to dump Piper.  Duggan saves with the double noggin-knocker.  Jimmy Snuka is next, bizarrely saving Flair from elimination by Hacksaw, only to attack him himself.  Piper and Flair exchange chops once again, as #20 is the Undertaker.  He and Hogan were allowed to draw from 20-30 as a result of the match at This Tuesday in Texas, so Taker drew the lowest number he could possibly draw.  He delivers one blow to Snuka, sending him flying over the ropes.  He then chokes Flair down in the corner as Heenan does his best Chicken Little.  Duggan grabs Taker, but takes a back kick below the belt.  Taker then chokes IRS in a corner, as Duggan and Flair hammer away, but Taker grabs them both in a chokehold.  Randy Savage is next, as Jake mysteriously disappears from the ring.  Savage slides in and starts looking for him, but gets pummeled by Taker.  Jake slides back in and takes over, but Savage ducks a short clothesline, and starts hammering away, then eliminates him with a high knee to the back...then jumps over the top rope after him, seemingly eliminating himself.  The announcers have to state on the fly that you have to be thrown out by someone else to cover for him.

Flair lowblows Taker, as the Berzerker is in next.  Flair tries to suplex Savage to the outside, but Savage blocks and brings him in.  Taker chokes Flair on the mat, and Piper joins in.  Taker responds by choking Piper, as well.  Virgil is next, attacking IRS, but quickly falling prey to a double team as the Berzerker joins in.  Taker chokes away at Flair again in the corner, then sets him up on the ropes, as good friends Piper and Virgil slug it out mid-ring.  Col. Mustafa is in next, as Savage and Taker go at it.  Mustafa hammers on Virgil, as Gorilla mistakenly refers to Flair as Martel.  Obviously this is the live version I'm watching, as that was definitely dubbed out on video releases.  But now he can say Martel freely, because he's the next entrant!  He tries to dump Flair, as IRS helps out.  Savage dumps Mustafa to the floor.  Hogan is in next, and everyone wants a shot at him.  Berzerker, IRS and Taker triple team in the corner, but Hogan frees himself with three eye rakes, then clotheslines Taker to the floor, and Berzerker follows seconds later as the crowd is going insane.  Hogan tears the shirt off and chokes Martel, as Virgil hits Duggan with a flying bodypress which takes both guys out.  Hogan hammers Flair in the corner, as Piper stalks him, but IRS interrupts choking Piper with Hogan's shirt.  Skinner is next, and does nothing of note as Hogan clotheslines Flair out of the corner.  Sgt. Slaughter is next, as Martel and Skinner seemingly form an alliance to dump Piper, but Martel double-crosses Skinner and dumps him.  Hogan and Piper exchange eyerakes and chokes, as Slaughter tries to dump Flair, who Gorilla states has just broken the longevity record.  Hogan and Slaughter renew their rivalry, as Sid Justice comes in, getting a huge reaction.  He hammers IRS, then gets ahold of Flair to the delight of the fans.  Warlord is the super-random #30 entrant.  Flair and Hogan fight on the floor, as Sid whips Slaughter into the corner, and Slaughter goes flying over the ropes to the floor.  Hogan hits a big boot, as Piper manages to push IRS over the ropes from the apron.  Hogan and Sid team up to get rid of The Beef, aka the Warlord, then Sid dumps Martel and Piper at the same time as they fight on the ropes, leaving a final four of Flair, Savage, Hogan and Sid.  Sid lays Savage across the ropes, and Flair delivers a knee to the back of Sid, causing Savage to fall to the floor.  Sid then stands back and watches as Flair and Hogan go at it.  Hogan flips Flair to the apron...and Sid comes from behind and dumps Hogan to a big pop.  Hogan complains at ringside, and gets ahold of Sid's hand, distracting him long enough for Flair to come from behind and dump Sid with help from Hogan, winning the match and the title.

Flair walks away victorious, as Sid and Hogan have a confrontation in the ring, and the crowd is solidly on Sid's side.  In various video releases, the commentary/crowd noise is edited to make Hogan appear more sympathetic.  However, in the Coliseum and Anthology versions, the original commentary is intact.

Final thoughts:  Don't think there's anything I can say about this one that hasn't already been said.  My only nitpick is that I wasn't a huge fan of the ending; I feel like they could have simply had Flair dump Sid off of the visual/verbal distraction rather than actually have Hogan physically help eliminate him.  Not a good look for the supposed babyface of the feud.  But other than that, an anticlimactic and predictable ending to this list, but obviously this Rumble still has yet to be topped.
@alfdogg765 on Twitter FOLLOW ME

Offline THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
Re: CXF Rumble Rank: #1 (plus voting results)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 08:58:17 AM »
Again no one was able to get the full top 10.  Three people got 9/10

A - 909
B - brocklock
C - JHawk
D - Thrasher
E - Hawk34
F - CookieMueller
G - Aero
H - Epic
I - KingPK
J - BZ
K - Kamala
L - Kahran

Online Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 10:40:46 AM »
My one issue with this is the ending as well, but for a different reason.  It looked like a Hogan heel turn with him being a whiny baby that cost Sid the match, which was not the alignment the company wanted.  They should have flipped Hogan and Sid's roles.  Hogan eliminates Sid, then Sid has a fit and costs Hogan.  That would get the reaction they wanted.

Online Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 10:45:10 AM »
We see now why 2008 was so high.  It got votes from everyone (even if some of those were mid-range), while 1990 and 2010 had several people who left them off their lists entirely. 

Also, I think Epic was drunk when he mailed in his ballot.

Offline Winter Epicland

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 11:28:11 AM »
Don't hate on the only Rumble with BARRY HOROWITZ!

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 11:40:48 AM »
This is the Ric Flair Show.  No matter who comes in Ric is right there mixing it up with them, including the big scary zombie mortician.  That is the difference between Ric's run and the other iron man performances.  Also, Ric clearing the ring only for Piper to come out next is a top Rumble moment.  That crowd was completely ready for Roddy 2 Belts.  Heenan's five heart attacks and three strokes on commentary during the match (and his Daniel Bryan impression at the end) is the icing on the cake.

The ending is the only flaw of the match.  I'm guessing Hogan didn't want Flair tossing him to win so this was plan B. 

Also, holy fuck the star power in this thing.  Almost every big name in any major American company in the 80s is in this match.

Offline O.G.

• Slicka than ya average...
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 08:10:58 PM »
There is so much to like about this match. A few little things:

The entire Piper/Flair/Jake segment (they've copied Piper coming out a good dozen times since but it's never worked as well, Hart/Austin in 1997 is probably closest); Gorilla Monsoon's ominous "He doesn't like Flair" when Barbarian comes out; Bulldog's mini Iron Man run; Slaughter's elimination; Hogan's first few minutes and the energy it brings.

I could go on and on.

Also, not that anyone cares, but here's my top 10 that I didn't vote for in time:

1. 1992
2. 2010
3. 1990
4. 2001
5. 2004
6. 2000
7. 2005
8. 2018 (W)
9. 2008
10. 2018 (M)
Runners up: 1989, 2003

Online Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
  • Sometimes A Friend is Worth A Billion Dollars
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 12:47:43 AM »
Idk why but Nikolai Volkoff's run in this match is one of my five favorite unintentional comedy moments in the Rumble. In a Rumble full of great performances, it just seems so pathetic and I'm definitely reading into it too much but to me, it kind of foreshadows his '94/'95 broke gimmick.

Also I think I got tripped up on voting or Tugster got tripped up on counting mine or I just got tripped up reading that graphic but I did NOT vote '94 to be #1!

I'm thinking confusion is I said it in reverse order of how I wanted to say it maybe cause '94 was #10 in my mind.

something something outdated hanging chad/old Jewish women voting for Pat Buchanan joke.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 01:11:32 AM »
That's one thing I've always loved about Flair's performance. It's not just his Iron Man run in particular but he was letting guys beat him up as soon as they hit the ring (making it look like everybody was targeting him) on top of the 'history' he had with guys e.g. Dibiase, Texas Tornado, Piper, etc. He really put on a show bumping for almost everybody who came through that curtain regardless of where they were on the card.

Also a shout out to a young Shawn Michaels trying to steal the spotlight for himself, bumping around like a wild man for the majority of his run. I remember him standing out a fair bit for a guy who'd literally turned just heel.

Agree with most everybody about the ending as it's a bit of a weak spot but it did set up the WrestleMania 8 main event so I can't hold too much against it.

Offline THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2020, 02:47:02 AM »
Also I think I got tripped up on voting or Tugster got tripped up on counting mine or I just got tripped up reading that graphic but I did NOT vote '94 to be #1!

I'm thinking confusion is I said it in reverse order of how I wanted to say it maybe cause '94 was #10 in my mind.

something something outdated hanging chad/old Jewish women voting for Pat Buchanan joke.

That’s one point for a 10th-place vote.  10 points for 1st, 9 for 2nd, so on

Offline Hawk 34

• Death Pool Winner
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2020, 05:01:35 AM »
Should we do a quickie inverse poll?  For top ten worst rumbles?   I’m curious which rumble would be considered so mediocre they don’t rank on either list.