Author Topic: AEW 2/12/2020 - SCU cannot win, nameplates are in trash  (Read 649 times)

Description:

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
AEW 2/12/2020 - SCU cannot win, nameplates are in trash
« on: February 12, 2020, 04:22:30 AM »
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline geniusMoment

• Trailer Park Supervisor
Re: AEW 2/12/2020 - SCU cannot win, nameplates are in trash
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 04:37:47 AM »
I really like the lineup this week. 

Mox/Santana
MJF/Jungleboy
Dustin/Sammy

All look great.
Randy!

Offline geniusMoment

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 11:31:54 AM »
Great promo by Santana.  I love the JR in the ring format too.
Randy!

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 12:06:34 PM »
Great match even though I would have ended it a few minutes earlier.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Online Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
  • Sometimes A Friend is Worth A Billion Dollars
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 12:10:14 PM »
Half watching this show. GREAT promo by Santana. What a breakout moment.

The Britt Baker promo was her best one yet.

And that was probably the best women's match AEW has done.

Online Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 12:11:40 PM »
Jeff Cobb!? Did I miss him getting signed!?

• Admin
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 12:11:55 PM »
JEFFFF COBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB YESSSSS

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline geniusMoment

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 12:13:17 PM »
Wonder if Scrull got that deal together between AEW and ROH?  I thought Cobb was in ROH.
Randy!

• Admin
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 12:13:55 PM »
Wonder if Scrull got that deal together between AEW and ROH?  I thought Cobb was in ROH.

His contract expired in January. Was working on a show by show basis.

Online Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 12:15:06 PM »
Hooo boy. I guess I didn't notice JR misgendering Nyla Rose but Twitter caught it.  :o

• Admin
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 12:16:44 PM »

• Admin
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 12:28:10 PM »
This is the best episode so far and it's legitimately not even close. Like to the point of if this isn't doing anything for you, you should probably just stop watching wrestling because you'll never like it.

Offline geniusMoment

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2020, 12:34:03 PM »
Yep, this is the best show they've done.  Everything has clicked, and the women's match was fantastic.  And that's coming from someone who has been as down on the women's division as anyone.
Randy!

• Admin
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 01:00:26 PM »
One of the best wrestling shows top to bottom that I have watched in literally years. Extremely enjoyable.

Offline geniusMoment

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2020, 01:06:59 PM »
Austin is a big time college/progressive city so I figured they would get a hot crowd.  It was a great show, and it was a super hot crowd too.  Really helped.  I'm really hoping they break that million mark.  If not, I gotta believe they do next week with the cage match.
Randy!

Online Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2020, 02:04:40 AM »
Apparently, Jeff Cobb is only signed for a couple of appearances. He's still contracted to ROH (they're promoting his match on Supercard of Honor with Danny Maff against KENTA and Taiji Ishimori this morning)

Strange days indeed.

Offline jerk of all trades

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2020, 03:40:05 AM »
Apparently, Jeff Cobb is only signed for a couple of appearances. He's still contracted to ROH (they're promoting his match on Supercard of Honor with Danny Maff against KENTA and Taiji Ishimori this morning)

Strange days indeed.

PWI is saying he's not contracted to anyone right now.

https://www.gerweck.net/2020/02/13/jeff-cobb-still-considered-a-free-agent/
"PWInsider reports that Cobb is not currently signed to AEW and is currently a free agent, without an exclusive contract with ROH or NJPW as his ROH deal expired in 2019 and he did not re-sign. Cobb was booked directly by AEW."

• Admin
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2020, 03:46:56 AM »
I think he's going to sign though. He's been toiling away for years without getting a big payday. Never even got to take any of TNA's money they were stupidly throwing around.

Online Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2020, 03:52:14 AM »
Yeah, I'm assuming he'll sign to a deal with AEW  once his ROH commitments are up. But it's still odd as hell that he's going to do both for a few months.

Offline Big Beard Booty Daddy

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2020, 04:00:57 AM »
When Marty took the book, there were reports that he was going to try to get ROH and AEW to have a relationship (along with ROH having a better one with NJPW and restarting with NWA). This could be part of that.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Online Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2020, 04:03:40 AM »
I feel like AEW's in its best place yet rn. They're coming off their best criticially acclaimed show then they got a huge show in Atlanta next week then it's a PPV week.

They're definitely poised to take a nice chunk of attention away during peak build up to WrestleMania.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2020, 05:28:00 AM »
Really enjoyed Riho versus Nyla. The rest of the show didn't connect with me, which is weird, because SCU versus Omega/Page was okay, and tag team wrestling used to be my favorite thing, ever.

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2020, 06:23:36 AM »
Hooo boy. I guess I didn't notice JR misgendering Nyla Rose but Twitter caught it.  :o

I heard the King of the Mountain bit and wondered if there was some backlash.  It makes me wonder because JR does passive aggressive shit like that but as soon as he gets any reaction, he will start angling himself as the innocent victim and say it was unintentional.  Didn’t come off like a flub to me and I don’t see him saying that for any of the other women.

Not crazy about the Nyla win, as I’m not sold on her and they finally pulled the trigger on her when Baker is starting to click.  So I assume Nyla will drop to Statlander eventually.
[img width=800

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2020, 06:32:55 AM »
Also, I like to think the guy in the Scooby Doo costume who at times acted like he believed he was the leader of the crowd was Tony Khan.
[img width=800

Online Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2020, 06:34:21 AM »
I'm not as down on JR as some in the IWC and definitely still has occasional moments (especially in those one on one in ring interviews). However, I really hope Cody's sense of progressivism overrides his sense of tradition and realizes that JR's best days as a full time PBP are well behind him.

I'll always be a JR fan but it's best to shift him to another role and let Excalibur take the mantle as lead PBP guy before JR really embarrasses everyone.

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2020, 06:44:08 AM »
I have fond memories of King and JR but they both do things on their current jobs that piss me off.  King, on top of being stale and non-entertaining grandpa jokes just comes off completely unfamiliar with the product that doesn’t happen on a show he calls.  He’s clueless when someone from NXT or Smackdown shows up to the point it makes the talent look bad and less like stars.

JR and Tony to an extent, piss me off when they make fun of Excalibur for knowing names of moves.  JR just dug into Excalibur in one of the women’s matches recently to the point it was distracting and took away from the match for me personally.  One of the Japanese ladies had a move that had something along the lines of girl power in the name of the move and rather than letting the match flow, JR had to rip Excalibur.  For someone who talks about making talent special, he took away from that for petty old man shit.

I don’t think he’s as awful as some make him and he has some moments still but it feels like his time has passed more often than not.  I’ve been wondering since they signed Tazz how soon they may shuffle him in, though it may be more likely to have him relieve the old guys for Dark and step in when Tony has his other commitments arise.
[img width=800

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2020, 06:52:33 AM »
One other call out from last night’s show, I like Dustinnp but his promo on Hager was what they should be teaching the young guys to NOT do.  He basically just crapped on Hager.  Jericho was one of the first I remember pointing out you accomplish nothing if you bury your opponent.  If you win, you both look bad.  If you lose, you look bad.  Dustin will clearly get beaten handily for Hager’s debut but him burying Hager’s MMA career only for the announcers to correct him was a bad look.  Especially for a babyface.

Since I mostly posted critiques, in a positive, I loved the uniqueness of the Darby “promo”.  Hope him and Sammy get a little time to shine at the PPV.
[img width=800

Online Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2020, 06:54:41 AM »
I have fond memories of King and JR but they both do things on their current jobs that piss me off.  King, on top of being stale and non-entertaining grandpa jokes just comes off completely unfamiliar with the product that doesn’t happen on a show he calls.  He’s clueless when someone from NXT or Smackdown shows up to the point it makes the talent look bad and less like stars.

Apologies for the side tangent here but I just read an interview with Lawler where he talked about how he never wanted to be in commentary and I just thought "Yeah, that makes sense." Even at his best, he was just a less funny, more horny Bobby Heenan. Even at the peak of Attitude Era/the JR & King team, it seemed like he was much happier in the ring.

I like Tony Schiavone but he has always shit on people for knowing more about movesets and that's the thing that bothers me most about his commentary. Way more than him being an overexcited shill. I think for the most part though, he's been decent as the third guy in the booth but again, he'd be much better off strictly as an interviewer and pitchman.

I think Excalibur and Tazz would be the commentary team to go with.

Offline strummer

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2020, 07:48:37 AM »
AEW: 817,000 viewers

NXT:  757,000 viewers

Well that's disappointing

AEW, of course, won the demo. .3 to .24

Offline geniusMoment

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2020, 08:54:39 AM »
Hopefully next week gets a bump from word about how good this weeks show was, and because of the first ever cage match.  But, it's still disappointing that their best show of the year got their lowest rating of the year.  It's just mind boggling to me that NXT almost tied last weeks show.
Randy!

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2020, 01:59:28 PM »
Ok, now Nyla winning me over

[img width=800

Online Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2020, 02:45:57 PM »
In another installment of Cody is an awesome dude, he's letting a friend of mine (and Big Beard Booty Daddy) take backstage candid shots of the AEW taping in Boston in a few months.

Offline Big Beard Booty Daddy

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2020, 11:58:24 PM »
In another installment of Cody is an awesome dude, he's letting a friend of mine (and Big Beard Booty Daddy) take backstage candid shots of the AEW taping in Boston in a few months.

I am so happy for Jess. I don’t like to use “deserve” often, but she deserves this.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Online Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2020, 12:50:10 AM »
She's really developed into a talented photographer and she really is a great asset to New England indy scene. Again, big props to Cody for making a dream come true.

Offline Tino Standard

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2020, 12:50:37 AM »
That’s awesome.

Side note: For anyone going to an AEW TV event, stick around for the dark matches after Dynamite goes off the air. They do some fun stuff with the crowd after the last match ends. Cody definitely gets it when it comes to making people fans for life.

Offline Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2020, 02:24:25 AM »
Very good show, but I wouldn't call it the best so far. That stretch around Full Gear is still the high water mark, but this and last week are the best of the year so far.

Tag titles to start was a wise choice because Omega usually kills the flow of the program, so we get him out of the way. Decent match, nothing special, but can we just hurry the fuck up and kill off the Dark Order already? Uno and Stu were my favorite tag team of 2012, but 1) that was 8 years ago, and 2) they weren't doing this stupid shit.

MONEY PROMO from Santana. And Jericho promising Cobb? YESSSSSSS!!!!!

Skipped the Women's title match. I'm glad people enjoyed it, but I don't like either Nyla nor Riho, and don't have much hope for Nyla as champion. She might prove me wrong, and I hope she does, but AEW having the weakest women's division of the major western companies still stands.

Darby video was great. Allin/Guevara should be a lot of fun and allow both guys to really get their shit in.

Speaking of Sammy, he and Dustin was as good as it could be, which is very, very good. Agreed that Dustin's promo wasn't the right move to make, but I'm actually looking forward to him and Hager. I've never looked forward to a Swagger match before.

Santana/Moxley was fantastic until it got to the ring. If there were two people on the roster who could make a wild crowd brawl into something remarkable, it'll be these two. Finish was a little off but was totally the right idea.

JEFFFFFFF COBBBBBBBBB!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FFFFUUUUUUUCK YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

MJF is fucking money. Period. Here, MLW, other indies...he's one of, if not, the best part(s) of the show. He had really solid chemistry with Jungle Boy and the weak parts of the match were the few odd "what spot are we doing" moments (which happens for all younger guys) and Brandi's commentary. I'm glad the NC is done with, but she's garbage with a live mic.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2020, 03:43:28 PM »
AEW: 817,000 viewers

NXT:  757,000 viewers

Well that's disappointing

AEW, of course, won the demo. .3 to .24

Ratings have a margin of error, so saying they went down 12 percent or whatever after a good show isn't worth freaking out about. NXT might have even "won" with ratings data being this close.

Santana's promo felt like something they could have done for a babyface turn/angle.  He at least made himself out to be a bit hypocritical by the end to swing back into heeldom.

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2020, 04:35:25 AM »
[img width=800

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2020, 07:55:44 PM »
A few months ago I friended a guy I met at an event in and around the NOLA area. He had pulled me on stage as part of his act and afterwards we hit it off talking. His act was rather raunchy by "traditional" standards and he was gracious that I was a good sport about everything and friended me under his real name on Facebook. Earlier he shared the article about Dustin taking transphobic fans to task. He referenced being friends with the wrestler Dustin was defending (It's a fair assumption that this dude's circle doesn't watch pro wrestling). I asked, "wait, you're friends with Nyla?"

He confirmed, yes, and that apparently Nyla has a son that is also a family friend. Pretty good dialogue. Small world AF, though. I do have some confusion as he referred to Nyla's birth/government name which is a male gender name. I am very uneducated in how that works other than when someone states they are now going by a name, you respect that. So I don't know if Nyla still privately goes by the name Artist dude used or not. I can't imagine this guy would be posting something pro-trans stance only to cut the legs out by using the wrong name.

This post might be better served in the General Chat thread of the appropriate topic, not sure.