Author Topic: AEW During the Pandemic (3/11/20 till ?????)  (Read 2757 times)

Description:

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
Re: AEW During the Pandemic (3/11/20 till ?????)
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2020, 05:39:57 PM »

There's so much going on here that I like and very little that I don't. The video package is Best of WCW level type stuff. Amazing Jake promo again and then some old school ass kicking.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Big Beard Booty Daddy

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2020, 09:42:55 PM »
The empty arena concept with the boys watching from the crowd at least makes it more interesting than the WWE empty arena shows.

Still not sure they should be doing these shows, but there's the one positive I've found

Didn’t get a chance to watch tonight, but this sounds cool. I was thinking the other night during Raw that it could really help the atmosphere for WrestleMania to have all the wrestlers on hand at the PC come out to watch at least the main event.

It was pretty cool. They didn't have a lot of wrestlers, only a handful, and had faces on one side and heels on the other. MJF was the highlight, of course. He had Spears were betting on winners and losers of matches. The guys popped and chanted for things. And Sammy going into the "crowd" to sing Judas with MJF was gold, mainly because Sammy didn't know all the words. Brandi also did ring announcing and was very good.

It's a shame that they couldn't do the Brodie Lee and Matt Hardy reveals in front of an audience, but they did a good job.

It was a fun show and the wrestlers looked like they were all having fun out there, and no just going through the motions. That's not a dig at WWE, by the way, as I haven't seen their shows.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2020, 03:49:01 AM »
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2020, 12:11:20 PM »
Dude lives up to his name. Wow.

Also, Hardy was on Talk is Jericho and both him and Jericho had tried pitching things to work with younger people. Jericho's ended up being the Highlight Reel, with Hardy's just being shot down.

They also said the process between the two companies is that AEW goes "hey, we want to do this this and this. How do you, the wrestlers, think we can go about getting here". That's pretty awesome that even the booking process is like dealing with promos. Probably also explains why early on the booking process was very hit or miss early on, because they probably didn't make sure that the main points were fleshed out as well as they should be.

Still though, compared to WWE's creative, night and day. And if you guys already knew this, my bad. I didn't know myself, so I thought it was neat.

Online Springtime for Epic

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2020, 02:08:39 PM »
Tony Khan just announced that Blood & Guts isn't happening and the next Dynamite will feature a Jericho/Matt Hardy confrontation.

Online Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2020, 12:46:50 PM »
PRO:
-The empty arena look was rad, with the talent all at ringside. It reminds me of super early Beyond with a budget above "maybe we can go to Spike's later."
-Jake promo on Cody...dude still has it
-Matches were all fun and felt the right length, so limiting the "your turn/my turn" stuff and holding off on EPIC NEARFALLZ~ until bigger matches is paying off. Weird...
-Adam "Handswash" Page

CON:
-I have never seen anything in Brodie Lee that makes me want to watch him for more than a few minutes and pairing him with the hands down worst act in the entire company is dumb. He's not bad but I'd call him a third stringer.
-Lance Archer is even worse than Brodie. At least I can say Brodie isstronger and I've seen him be a part of really killer matches, but Archer has a fucking tramp stamp and spent years being outshone by Christy Hemme.
-DELETE Matt Hardy makes me remember Kenny Omega could be far worse.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2020, 02:06:28 PM »
Just curious, Laz, when was the last time you saw Archer?

He was meh in TNA so other than BIG, I was surprised WWE even wanted him.  He was ok as a killer in WWECW and his team with Hawkins has some promise, then he got cut.

This last year especially he has some good showings in New Japan.  Just wondering because I can see that stance if your last exposure was his TNA or WWE work but I think what he did most recently in NJPW could make him really interesting with the AEW roster.  If they get Janela to pinball for him, could be a lot of fun.
[img width=800

• Laz
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2020, 03:34:07 PM »
I caught some of his G1 work last year, but not being a fan of the NJPW style doesn't help matters. None of the KES stuff stood out to me, either, but I'm willing to blame that on DBS Jr. (who is fucking garbage).

Offline Bernie Bro Kamala

• CXF Writer
  • This conversation sucks.I'm going to take a shower
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2020, 01:57:09 AM »
Regrettably, AEW is still having matches this week. They just announced Kenny Omega defending the AAA Mega Championship (for the first time ever?) against Sammy Guevara.

Offline Joyful & Soyful

• brock lock
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2020, 02:26:39 AM »
I thought Archer was pretty terrible for a long time until he seemed to figure it out last year. He was athletic but he looked very light and loose in the ring and his personality always came off cheesy to me. I thought his offense looked great in the G1 and very great for a big man. He carried himself much better as well and finally had a dangerous aura he's been trying to project. I think his look (hairstyle more so) and trash talking grrr I'm a heel shtick is kind of lame and try hard, but that's sort of how wrestling is now.  For the way wrestling is now though, he's turned into a very good big guy.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2020, 04:07:39 AM »

• Laz
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2020, 04:16:26 AM »
Of fucking course MJF was in an a capela group...

• Admin
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2020, 11:23:02 AM »
TRUST ME

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2020, 01:30:29 AM »
Did the Chat suck up all the AEW takes?   The show felt flat to me. Brodie Lee wearing a suit and making fun of Vince seemed like the wrong direction to go with the cult leader gimmick.  I thought Lee's outfit looked bad last week as the white shirt made him look chunky. This week he gave me a Repo Man vibe. 

Taking the wrestlers away from ringside was also a move in the wrong direction. 

Omega seemed to be geeky during the opening commentary bit with Cody.  He and Cody were not too cool for the room in a DX/Outsiders sense, instead Omega just seemed like he was goofing on the fact that he was commentating or something.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2020, 01:38:03 AM »
Unfortunately due to restrictions, they couldn't have the wrestlers in the audience like last week. That's the main reason Blood and Guts, as well as the lumberjack match, being postponed.

I agree them not being there took something away, but the show was just there for me. The matches were all very good, but it was hard to really care about it this week. I commend them for trying, but this week just didn't hit. They were still having fun, but the lack of people there really made a difference.

According to Dave, they taped a lot if stuff last night. Not just Dynamite and Dark, but even more, so they have a bunch in the can right now.

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2020, 03:39:05 AM »
I enjoyed the show. Definitely was missing the wrestlers hanging out ringside. There was a real pattern with all three non-squash matches being carried for the most part by one guy, but with the shittier guy turning it on for a few minutes here and there.

Sammy looked like a star in his match with Kenny, who looked like shit until it was time for him to run through his offense for the finish. But at least he looked good killing Sammy.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2020, 03:41:22 AM »
Is there a legal, non convoluted way to watch AEW if you don't have cable? Really would like to watch these shows but girlfriend's house has no cable.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2020, 03:59:24 AM »
Is there a legal, non convoluted way to watch AEW if you don't have cable? Really would like to watch these shows but girlfriend's house has no cable.

TNT's website has them to watch.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2020, 04:17:54 AM »
Sweet! Thanks dude! Looking forward to catching up on last two episodes.

Offline grapeswasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2020, 05:31:02 AM »
Jimmy Havok is terrible. Didn't like the Vince part of the Brodie Lee gimmick as I don't like any of that inside stuff. I thought the commentary aside from Tony was really bad. Omega was Omega and Cody talking about Star Trek and shit was painful. Not worst of wwe level but still. The Matt Hardy/Jericho segment was great though. So was the Sammy stuff.

• Admin
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2020, 05:38:49 AM »
The Vince segment reminded me of when Steve Austin was in ECW talking about playing with the big boys. I usually don't like that stuff but this one was very funny.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2020, 05:44:43 AM »
Yeah, I didn't mind the Brodie Lee thing. I think it worked because you don't need to know about the stories of Vince. If you know it's an added layer, but if you don't know them, he just comes off as a crazy cult leader, and that's what his character is. I don't want it all the time, but this one time, I think they can get away with it.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2020, 07:01:35 AM »
Darby Allin doing a Coffin Drop off the counter of a 7/11 while the clerk marks out is the content that I NEED right now.

• Laz
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2020, 10:50:59 AM »
PRO:
-The Cross Rhodes is the best version of that move of all-time, and all it took was the people selling it to do a handstand instead of taking a weak face bump.
-Darby Allin is always a highlight whenever he's booked. Use him more.
-Jake Hagar's theme is solid...and it reminds me that all of the Inner Circle have great themes.
-Mox promos are always fun.
-Sammy Guevara is a goddamn treasure. His "friends at ringside" were hilarious in all the right ways. It helps that he moves like he's trying to actually win a fight, too.
-The undercard heels hanging out and making bets on matches is great.

CON:
-Fish are awful at climbing trees, so stop having guys who work best with microphones and/or plunder (Jimmy Havoc) work the mat.
-Kip Sabian is all look and makes me wish they'd sign Spike Trivet (who's an incredible promo).
-STOP CUTTING TO FUCKING COMMERCIAL JUST AS A MATCH GETS GOING. THAT IS WWE BULLSHIT. KNOCK IT OFF.
-No crowd at ringside means that spots intended to generate heat fall flat. I get why, but it still sucks.
-Jake Hagar is dull as dishwater and a program with Moxley is wasting your World champion.
-AEW is the only company to make me not want to watch Christopher Daniels and it is entirely because of the Dark Order. The only talents to ever make a "cult leader" gimmick work have been Raven and the Undertaker, and the nature of the Dark Order changing every single week doesn't help. "Brodie Lee has lost overness from this segment." It certainly didn't help that he had two mediocre promos play back-to-back and then a nothing job match.
-Star Trek jokes, huh?
-Try selling for somebody who hasn't out drawn you, Kenny. It might make you look a little better.
-No way in hell should Omega/Guevara have gone half an hour.
-Broken Matt is garbage, has always been garbage, and always will be garbage. A Jericho/Matt match will be two guys who can barely move plodding around in between a handful of semi-decent spots.

I can safely say that this was the worst episode yet and I have a feeling they won't course correct soon enough. This was WCW 2000 Kevin Sullivan levels of bad.

Offline alkeiper

• Welcoming our new insect overlords
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2020, 12:25:52 AM »
I agree about the cult leader stuff. Get Brodie away from the Bray Wyatt-esqe stuff and get him back to his namesake. He's a big dude that brawls and looks good doing it. He doesn't need to be complicated.

• Laz
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2020, 01:20:09 AM »
The dumbest part, to me, is that I enjoyed the "daddy eats first" promo. It was a fine promo and surprised me because I legitimately didn't know that Brodie could talk so naturally on camera. It wasn't a cult leader promo, though, but more of a mob boss thing.

Brodie Lee in charge of a criminal organization? That sounds like a perfect program for rogue sheriff Hangman Page, personally.

Offline jerk of all trades

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2020, 01:52:00 AM »
I agree about the cult leader stuff. Get Brodie away from the Bray Wyatt-esqe stuff and get him back to his namesake. He's a big dude that brawls and looks good doing it. He doesn't need to be complicated.

I felt like this was less Bray Wyatt and more Corporate Ministry, tbh. He was even in a full suit. It's so refreshing that Lee is being allowed to talk - he's actually quite articulate if you've ever had the chance to hear an interview with him. I think this direction is going to change the Dark Order gimmick for the good and can't wait to see what they do with it in the long run.

Also this was fucking amazing:

Darby Allin doing a Coffin Drop off the counter of a 7/11 while the clerk marks out is the content that I NEED right now.

Sammy kills me, I'm so glad he exists.  ;D

• Laz
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2020, 01:53:28 AM »
Sammy is your new god

• CXF Writer
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2020, 01:57:10 AM »
I haven't watched last two weeks of AEW but it doesn't shock me that Brodie Lee can cut a promo. He showed off way more natural charisma on house shows I went to and that Worlds Collide Special where he wrestled Dijak than he was allowed to on WWE TV A shows and pay per views.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2020, 03:24:34 AM »
Great episode of Talk is Jericho with Brodie Lee:

https://omny.fm/shows/talk-is-jericho/the-exalted-escape-of-brodie-lee

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2020, 10:37:24 PM »

I felt like this was less Bray Wyatt and more Corporate Ministry, tbh. He was even in a full suit. It's so refreshing that Lee is being allowed to talk - he's actually quite articulate if you've ever had the chance to hear an interview with him. I think this direction is going to change the Dark Order gimmick for the good and can't wait to see what they do with it in the long run.

I didn't listen to it yet, but I read one of the things Brodie mentioned in his interview with Jericho is that he, Uno, and Stu still be moving DO in a different direction. They have an idea for where it will ultimately go. The three of them have been friends for years from when Brodie was originally on the indies.

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2020, 05:22:56 AM »
While the episode was kind of there, I'm still interested in seeing where Brodie takes the DO. At least this isn't like Lucha House Party that is just there and that's it.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2020, 07:02:21 AM »
 But now I want to see Brodie, Uno and Stu run around with piñatas and noise makers.
[img width=800

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2020, 10:10:19 AM »
TNT Championship incoming. I'm guessing this is their version of the TV title. I dig it.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • I have a doobie in my funk.
« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2020, 10:36:53 AM »
Cody and MJF need that belt, then we can get the MJF vs Darby feud I really want to see.

• Laz
« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2020, 10:37:56 AM »
Agreed. It'll be a perfect test for guys like MJF, Sammy, and Darby to see if they can carry a division and, if truly going with the classic TV title booking, guarantees a weekly showing from its holder.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2020, 10:43:48 AM »
Cody should give it instant cred, I think. They made a point to not call another title a secondary title, so I'm expecting this to be like the old NWA TV title where it can go anywhere. MJF needs it badly and it opens all kinds of doors for everyone. It should definitely be defended every week if they're doing it.

Offline geniusMoment

• Trailer Park Supervisor
« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2020, 07:11:59 AM »
Randy!

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2020, 10:09:44 AM »
The first participants have been announced

Invalid Tweet ID?s=20

• Laz
« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2020, 10:11:16 AM »
Over/under on Cody vs. Spears going 10 minutes too long?

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • Three Time Tetris 99 Champ!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2020, 02:06:13 PM »
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2020, 02:08:49 PM »
I've seen Alex Shelley do that several times. First episode of Impact is the one I remember because the fans chanted "that was gay!" and he just looked at them and shrugged.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2020, 07:37:19 AM »
lmao who is that dude?

• Admin
« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2020, 04:36:42 PM »
The WCW vibe was super strong tonight and I loved it.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #94 on: April 02, 2020, 01:52:12 AM »
Brodie Lee single-handedly turning this Dark Order thing around is amazing. Love these vignettes.

Offline Hawk 34

• Death Pool Winner
« Reply #95 on: April 02, 2020, 03:55:50 AM »
Brodie Lee single-handedly turning this Dark Order thing around is amazing. Love these vignettes.

It’s like going from terminal cancer to chronic diarrhea, it’s better but you don’t want to have it.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #96 on: April 02, 2020, 05:41:23 AM »
Whatever you say, bud.

Offline Hawk 34

• Death Pool Winner
« Reply #97 on: April 02, 2020, 05:58:59 AM »
Thanks, pal.

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
« Reply #98 on: April 02, 2020, 06:03:17 AM »
It's a discussion board, dubq. People are allowed to say mean things about stuff you like.

I also mostly enjoy the new Dark Order stuff, too.

Offline Hawk 34

• Death Pool Winner
« Reply #99 on: April 02, 2020, 06:05:04 AM »
Brodie Lee is fine.   It’s the rest of the bullshit that isn’t good.  You can enjoy Brodie Lee’s masterpiece acting and I would largely fall in line with that thinking, it’s everything around him that isn’t good.