Author Topic: UFC 103 - Franklin vs. Belfort; September 19th  (Read 10148 times)

Description:

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
UFC 103 - Franklin vs. Belfort; September 19th
« Reply #150 on: September 19, 2009, 02:45:30 PM »
Cro Cop has probably landed the harder shots, but they've been scarce.  Junior has been pressing the action and pursuing a "quantity over quality" type of game plan.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #151 on: September 19, 2009, 02:49:57 PM »
Mirko's clinch game has always been shitty, but it really hasn't come to light until recently against Overeem, Kongo, and now Junior dos Santos.  Mirko's mobility is nothing like it used to be.  He looked sluggish and was beaten by a younger, quicker, and more aggressive fighter.

Offline muzzington

« Reply #152 on: September 19, 2009, 02:54:30 PM »
Santos deserved it. His interview was gold.

Offline muzzington

« Reply #153 on: September 19, 2009, 03:12:14 PM »
"Vitor is back!"

That was a strange ending.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #154 on: September 19, 2009, 03:14:26 PM »
Now Belfort vs. Anderson would be an interesting fight.  Has the potential to be one of the most boring considering both men's styles, but still.  I don't know if they can wait either, just throw him in with Silva as soon as possible.

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• If I told you cocaine numbers you would think I was lyin'
  • WWWYKI
« Reply #155 on: September 19, 2009, 03:14:47 PM »
Nice KO.   What the FUCK is that guy screaming during Belfort's interview?

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #156 on: September 19, 2009, 03:18:05 PM »
Hey, the Janitor won, Lei will be so happy

Offline muzzington

« Reply #157 on: September 19, 2009, 03:21:48 PM »
Nik Lentz needs to be called the Muscle Dolphin.

Offline muzzington

« Reply #158 on: September 19, 2009, 03:45:57 PM »
Story/Foster was the most entertaining fight for me. Nice finish.

Online Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #159 on: September 19, 2009, 03:49:42 PM »
Vitor is the man. I'm just fuckin' tired of Rich Franklin. Perhaps now the UFC won't use him to headline shows and will actually let him fight at 205.  Sounds good to me. Unless he's gonna fight Tito or Shogun I just don't care about poor ol' Rich.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Monsoon Classic

• Monsoon_Classic
    • My YouTube Channel with over 2,000 classic WWF & WCW videos
« Reply #160 on: September 19, 2009, 04:02:20 PM »
Rich Franklin is the Ohio State University of UFC.  From Ohio, overhyped, stick a little competition in his way and he'll crumble like smashed up cookies.

Instead of calling him Rich "Ace" Franklin, I will now refer to him as "Jack" Franklin.
Check out my YouTube page for over 2,000 classic WWF & WCW videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMonsoonClassic/videos

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• If I told you cocaine numbers you would think I was lyin'
  • WWWYKI
« Reply #161 on: September 19, 2009, 04:35:12 PM »
Should he wear a red sweater vest while walking down the aisle?

Offline Just Call Me Dan

« Reply #162 on: September 19, 2009, 05:07:16 PM »
The killshot from Vitor looked like it was blatantly to the back of the head. 

Offline starvenger

« Reply #163 on: September 19, 2009, 10:16:55 PM »
One of the final three clearly was, yes, but you can make the case that Rich was still trying to avoid at that point, and not covering up like Franklin the turtle.
Starvenger

Offline Just Call Me Dan

« Reply #164 on: September 20, 2009, 03:27:45 AM »
When I watch the replay, he got hit on top of the head and disoriented, (like St.Pierre/Serra) and then Vitor grabbed his head and held him down.  Rich ate a big hook while crouched down that sent him to his knees.  Thats the one that hurt him.  Then Vitor comes down with this huge hammer blow that hits him right in the back of the head and puts him to sleep.  That blow would have put anyone out.  Not saying Rich was robbed, but frickin Lavigne  said nothing.  Rich was fried after that, and I'm just of the opinion that it was an illegal shot and prematurely ended the fight.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #165 on: September 20, 2009, 03:40:09 AM »
Rich was already on his knees with his head down and facing away from Vitor when the alleged blow was landed.  He was doing nothing to indicate that he would recover from the position, so the hit to the back of the head was, for all intents and purposes, irrelevant.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #166 on: September 20, 2009, 06:26:01 AM »
Not sure why all the hate for Rich. I respect the hell out of Rich. He does whatever the UFC asks, even if it's not in his best interest.

Rich has evolved in to one of my favorite fighters because he is such a class act.

Good show... although out of everything that happened I picked the opposite. I was backing Franca, Mirko, and Rich. Oh well.
Show loose women what I'm workin' with.

Offline RavishingRickRudo

« Reply #167 on: September 20, 2009, 06:35:48 AM »
I was fairly impressed with Vitors range work.  He barely got touched by Rich and counter-punched constantly.  The karate training must be working. 

Offline Monsoon Classic

• Monsoon_Classic
    • My YouTube Channel with over 2,000 classic WWF & WCW videos
« Reply #168 on: September 20, 2009, 09:17:36 AM »
Not sure why all the hate for Rich. I respect the hell out of Rich. He does whatever the UFC asks, even if it's not in his best interest.

Rich has evolved in to one of my favorite fighters because he is such a class act.

Eh, I don't buy that.  He's getting paid handsomly for high profile fight after high profile fight while he is flirting w/ gatekeeper status.  I don't hate Franklin per se, just the hype that surrounds him.
Check out my YouTube page for over 2,000 classic WWF & WCW videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMonsoonClassic/videos

Offline The Buzz

« Reply #169 on: September 20, 2009, 10:13:02 AM »
Cro Cop post fight interview.

http://mmamania.com/2009/09/20/mirko...-prix-in-2006/

“Maybe the ones who have said that I’m done are right. Obviously, I can’t break my mental block in the Octagon. Besides, I’ve been training like a spartan for 20 years now — my body is worn out. The years caught up to me, I’ve been worn out…. [Junior dos Santos] won that fight and would have won it by decision. Simply put, he is younger, more hungry, more aggressive. He wanted to win a lot more…. The mat was slippery like glass. I almost fell down trying to do the left high kick. But I’m not looking for an alibi. This was not the performance the public would pay for. I don’t feel the hunger anymore. I started playing it safe, I’m not ready to take risks. I would like to thank everybody that supported me and stood by me and everyone who helped me to prepare for this fight. I’ve been living a military life for 20 years now. Getting up at 6 a.m. and having physically challenging task up to 8 p.m. I want a normal life. I’m entering a cage and thinking about fishing in Privlaka. You can’t win that way. Maybe I should’ve quit after I won the open weight grand prix.”

Offline Just Call Me Dan

« Reply #170 on: September 20, 2009, 05:51:19 PM »

Eh, I don't buy that.  He's getting paid handsomly for high profile fight after high profile fight while he is flirting w/ gatekeeper status.  I don't hate Franklin per se, just the hype that surrounds him.

I don't understand how flirting with gatekeeper status =  not able to beat Anderson Silva.  The guy was the champ for 16 months, has beaten EVERYONE not named Anderson Silva and Lyoto Machida put in front of him besides a razor sharp decision to Henderson that he may have won if not motivated by the prospect of coaching another season of the ultimate fighter. (This of course before the Belfort fight).  Do I think he should headline shows after this fight?  No.  But going into this fight the argument of flirting with gatekeeper status is ridiculous.

Offline MikeofEvil

• Beware of my mongooses!
    • Mike Brooks, Sci-Fi Author
« Reply #171 on: September 22, 2009, 04:17:19 AM »
Cro Cop post fight interview.

http://mmamania.com/2009/09/20/mirko...-prix-in-2006/

“Maybe the ones who have said that I’m done are right. Obviously, I can’t break my mental block in the Octagon. Besides, I’ve been training like a spartan for 20 years now — my body is worn out. The years caught up to me, I’ve been worn out…. [Junior dos Santos] won that fight and would have won it by decision. Simply put, he is younger, more hungry, more aggressive. He wanted to win a lot more…. The mat was slippery like glass. I almost fell down trying to do the left high kick. But I’m not looking for an alibi. This was not the performance the public would pay for. I don’t feel the hunger anymore. I started playing it safe, I’m not ready to take risks. I would like to thank everybody that supported me and stood by me and everyone who helped me to prepare for this fight. I’ve been living a military life for 20 years now. Getting up at 6 a.m. and having physically challenging task up to 8 p.m. I want a normal life. I’m entering a cage and thinking about fishing in Privlaka. You can’t win that way. Maybe I should’ve quit after I won the open weight grand prix.”

Looks like Cro Cop's gone then. I don't see how you can say stuff like that and still come back and fight. Still, at least if he packs up now he'll have gone out on his own terms, I guess rather than just being cut from the UFC and then trying to find fights elsewhere.

I'm an angel. I kill firstborns while their mamas watch. I turn cities into salt. I even, when I feel like it, rip the souls from little girls, and from now till kingdom come, the only thing you can count on in your existence is never understanding why.