Author Topic: Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2  (Read 3258 times)

Description:

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2
« on: April 04, 2009, 07:43:43 AM »
Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/03/gdc09-marvel-ultimate-alliance-2-impressions/

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 [HD] Game Trailer

The first game featured 22 different Marvel characters, which you assemble into teams of four, and MUA2 adds two more to that roster for a total of 24. They haven't revealed everyone that's in the game yet, but Iron Fist and Luke Cage will definitely be playable. You can pick out many more from the previously released trailer for the game, and we're hoping that Deadpool will be returning for this one.

Graphically, the game is much improved over the original, and the camera angle has been adjusted down so you can see further in front of you. You can also switch team members now without having to jump out to the character screen. Vicarious Visions promises that the game holds more than 10 hours of gameplay, with an opportunity for replay provided by several story branching points.

As previously mentioned, the game follows the Marvel Civil War storyline that pits Iron Man against Captain America and features different endings for both heroes. The "branch point" for both of those heroes occurs a third of the way into the game, where you'll be prompted to choose a side in the conflict.

The big new addition to the game are the fusion moves, and there are 276 total combinations in the game. They will also be including DLC characters at some point in the future, and they'll drop in and be able to fuse with the existing characters. Some of the ones we saw included Thor bouncing lightning off of Captain America's shield and hitting multiple enemies at once and Wolverine bouncing Iron Man's repulsor chest-ray with his claws. You can also acquire boosts in the game that will give you special abilities: Thor spins off a tornado, the Human Torch sets fire to it, and you've got a twister that would make Bill Paxton wet his pants.

You'll also be able to upgrade your characters' core powers, abilities, and boosts in the game as you accrue experience points, and the developers promise that the upgrade screen will be easily accessible in game: it won't require a trip to the character menu, and when you access it during multiplayer, AI will take over your character while you upgrade their powers. You can use these to shape your team's abilities by, say, giving everyone electrical hits, and upping their electrical resistance. Bam, you've got an electric version of the Avengers, and so on.

We were shown the opening level in Latveria, which has been seeing a lot of strange activity since (spoiler alert!) Doom's apparent death at the end of Marvel Ultimate Alliance. We didn't see Doom himself, but we imagine he'll be in there. We also saw a boss encounter with Electro, who is a staple of the Marvel video games. He's armed with plenty of puns like "I don't mean to shock you..." and so on.

We weren't shown multiplayer, but the game will feature four-player local and online co-op. If you don't have a full team, you'll play with AI bots in the other slots. There are over 300 conversations in the game, with character responses appearing based on who you like to play as. Is the Hulk your favorite character? Your conversation responses will be ... Hulkish. Like Spidey? You'll get a lot of jokes and puns.

There's more to come on this game, which is out sometime this fall, and we're looking forward to more character reveals. But hey, we already got Luke Cage and Iron Fist! We're happy.
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline Rendclaw

• Frankly my dear... eh, you know the rest.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 03:11:37 AM »
That's awesome.. I want to get the first one.

Offline Obi Chris Kenobi

• Citizen 128
  • Personal Text goes here, Venkman
    • legitshook
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 03:33:20 AM »
Another one to add to the pre-order list.

Offline luke-o

• Pack it in Frank you silly barstool!
  • www.thecollectorsroom.co.uk
    • The LADcast - A weekly podcast from Luke and Drew (L.A.D - Geddit?)
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 05:13:57 AM »
I hope this comes out (and doesn't suck) for the Wii.

I will eat all of your dicks if Daniel Bryan ACTUALLY cashes in his MITB at Wrestlemania
7 months and counting...

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 06:10:41 AM »
Buy a good system Luke and stop hoping stuff doesn't suck on the Wii.
Matt, don't be a fag. Post some huge cocks.

Offline luke-o

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 06:15:27 AM »
Never!

I did own a 360 which I gave away for good reasons. I don't want to have to buy another one just to play a couple of games.

I will eat all of your dicks if Daniel Bryan ACTUALLY cashes in his MITB at Wrestlemania
7 months and counting...

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 06:27:37 AM »
I have a Wii, but the PS3 is probably the best "current gen" console investment I made in the recent past.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 12:43:48 PM »
I have all 3 and to be honest I'd never even think of playing a cross console game on Wii.  In my experiences the only good Wii games are the games made exclusively for Wii.
Matt, don't be a fag. Post some huge cocks.

Offline griffinmills

• I finally changed this.
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 07:01:16 PM »

Tiger Direct has refurb 360 systems for $169.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=4199871&sku=M17-9200&SRCCODE=WEM1894BY&cm_mmc=Email-_-Main-_-WEM1894-_-email

I read a preview of MUA2 in a (then already pretty old Game Informer) around 6 months ago, it looked so good I ran out to buy it... ha!  Ended up grabbing a copy of MUA1 for $15 used and loved it.  I can't believe MUA2 isn't out yet and that is just looks better and better.

Offline Dobbs3K

• TSM's former ultimate heel.
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 12:15:13 AM »
Yeah...we have both a Wii and PS3, and while the Wii is fun, I still can't shake my head at how technology crippled the Wii is compared to the other current generation systems (other than the nifty controllers).
"Tell Mr. Selig that next time that kid pitches, there's a good chance he gets one in the ribs." - Ryan Braun

Offline "Dot Com" Matt Postin (heel)

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 08:16:10 AM »
Graphics, shmaffics. As soon I read the words "over ten hours of gameplay" I knew I wouldn't be plunking down any money for this. That sounds like it translates to five hours of gameplay for the Cap side and five for Iron Man's story. Which doesn't translate into $60.

Offline Anakin Flair

• Suplex City, Bitch!
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 11:48:00 AM »
I loved the first one, and I can't wait to get this one. Especially since my copy of UA no longer works for some reason.

Offline Marie I

• FLAM
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 01:04:26 AM »
I just finished the first one a few weeks ago. Fun game. I'll probably get this. I love Marvel.

Offline Black Lushus

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 01:35:48 AM »
While the first one is a fine game, it got repetitive at times.

Offline The Real DXP

• daileyxplanet
    • TrevorTwitter
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 01:35:13 AM »
I wish DC would follow suit...

Offline Zeddemore

• Groovy
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 10:04:00 AM »
The first one had issues, but damn... it was fun to play as Daredevil. Hopefully the sequel has a code to unlock Stick.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 10:30:22 AM »
I wish DC would follow suit...

Yeah they should've made a sequel to Justice League Heroes by now.. expanding on it and making it better. My guess is is that they're focusing a lot on the DC Universe MMO that's coming out sometime down the road.

Offline Rendclaw

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 10:35:14 AM »

Tiger Direct has refurb 360 systems for $169.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=4199871&sku=M17-9200&SRCCODE=WEM1894BY&cm_mmc=Email-_-Main-_-WEM1894-_-email

I read a preview of MUA2 in a (then already pretty old Game Informer) around 6 months ago, it looked so good I ran out to buy it... ha!  Ended up grabbing a copy of MUA1 for $15 used and loved it.  I can't believe MUA2 isn't out yet and that is just looks better and better.

I don't trust anything Tiger Direct sells ever since I spent a bunch of money on computer parts, and less than half of them worked.....

Offline luke-o

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2009, 11:32:55 PM »
The first one had issues, but damn... it was fun to play as Daredevil. Hopefully the sequel has a code to unlock Stick.

I'm so glad that he's not an unlockable character this time round. Daredevil has always been my favourite.

7 months and counting...

Offline griffinmills

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 05:46:57 PM »

I'm so glad that he's not an unlockable character this time round. Daredevil has always been my favourite.

Man, that made me so confused until I realized you were saying you were glad he didn't need to be unlocked to be played!

Offline luke-o

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 06:02:33 AM »
Juggernaut and Deadpool confirmed as playable characters:

http://marvel.com/news/vgstories.8069.Marvel_Ultimate_Alliance_2~colon~_Deadpool_Trailer

http://marvel.com/news/vgstories.8067.Juggernaut_Smashes_his_Way_into_MUA2

Glad Deadpool is back, he was one of the best characters in the 1st game.

7 months and counting...

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2009, 06:14:46 AM »
Juggernaut looks awesome but that article says he is GameStop pre-order exclusive.  Will they release him on Live at a later date or something?
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2009, 06:50:32 AM »
Did anyone pick this up?

Offline Broward

• THUGBUTT CHEATERS
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2009, 08:46:02 AM »
See my post in the random thoughts section..its spoiler'd since I had been playing it before release and didn't want to ruin anyone's experience.

Offline Angle-plex

• Hey....it's sexy.....
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2009, 08:51:41 AM »
Yeah, this isn't worth a buy. Repetitive, many things are worse than the original. Finished level 2 with a buddy then we had both had enough.

Offline AntiLeaf33

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2009, 09:03:37 AM »
Yeah, this isn't worth a buy. Repetitive, many things are worse than the original. Finished level 2 with a buddy then we had both had enough.

I heard that they dumbed down a lot of the elements from the first game. I'm also not crazy about the Civil War arc getting spliced in as it limits why you can have on your team.

Guess I'll wait awhile and see what over the overall consensus is.

Offline Broward

• THUGBUTT CHEATERS
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2009, 09:17:07 AM »
It only really limits you like, three people..maybe four at the most. Everyone else you get thru game play anyway.

Spoiler: show
 and in the end, you get everyone back anyway when you join forces to fight "The Fold"

Offline AndrewTS

• secure in his masculinity
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2009, 09:53:19 AM »
I decided to pass when I saw they were doing the console exclusive characters crap, and most assuredly there will be DLC stuff.

Maybe when they release a version of the game with everyone instead of nickle and diming you for more characters later.
The geek shall inherit the earth.

"We're all geeks. I'm trying to reclaim that word, because a geek is just someone who carries the enthusiasm of childhood into adult life." -- Simon Pegg, co-writer/star of "Shaun of the Dead."

I gave up watching pro wrestling in favor of something better written, more coherent, and less insulting to my intelligence--girly comic books.

Offline Rendclaw

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2009, 02:58:13 PM »
Which in these days of DLC making them quite a bit of money, that might never happen.

Offline Scroby

• Low rent Indy Referee
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2009, 03:51:52 PM »
I don't mind paying a few extra bucks for DLC extras (characters, maps, gametypes) but I'm getting really tired of the console exclusive stuff. I mean at first, I really didn't mind it. It sucked that the 360 got something the PS3 didn't get or vica versa but it seemed kind of balanced so it really didn't bother me but now it doesn't seem so balanced anymore. PS3 gets playable Joker stuff in Batman Dark Asylum while currently the 360 version gets crap or there's the PS3 version of Smackdown vs Raw 2010 with Stone Cold as a DLC exclusive which is only a Gamestop pre-order exclusive. Which means if I want to play as Stone Cold I have to not only pre-order my game from Gamestop which is in another city for me, I'd have to get a PS3 before the fucking game came out.

DLC is really starting to bug me with the exclusive bullshit.
WRONG! I'm perfectly sane everyone else however is insane and is trying to steal my magic bag.

Offline luke-o

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2009, 08:10:38 PM »
I'm a fan of DLC, I think it keeps a game fresh.

7 months and counting...

Offline Sabre

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2009, 08:58:04 PM »
I don't mind paying a few extra bucks for DLC extras (characters, maps, gametypes) but I'm getting really tired of the console exclusive stuff. I mean at first, I really didn't mind it. It sucked that the 360 got something the PS3 didn't get or vica versa but it seemed kind of balanced so it really didn't bother me but now it doesn't seem so balanced anymore. PS3 gets playable Joker stuff in Batman Dark Asylum while currently the 360 version gets crap or there's the PS3 version of Smackdown vs Raw 2010 with Stone Cold as a DLC exclusive which is only a Gamestop pre-order exclusive. Which means if I want to play as Stone Cold I have to not only pre-order my game from Gamestop which is in another city for me, I'd have to get a PS3 before the fucking game came out.

When did he become ps3 exclusive?

Is this more of the same as #1 or is there any vast improvements?

Offline luke-o

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2009, 09:02:45 PM »
Just to clarify I'm a fan of DLC but not "game shope exclusive" characters. They've started to do it over here now more and more and it sucks.

Console exclusive stuff sucks too.

7 months and counting...

Offline AntiLeaf33

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2009, 01:35:54 AM »
This pre-order exclusive shit has got to stop. Kind of kills the appeal of buying the game later on down the road if you are going to miss out on some characters.

Offline Cartman

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2009, 01:51:58 AM »
Those "exclusive" characters will all be availible for DLC at some point i'm willing to bet. I believe the big point about store exclusives for pre-orders is to make more people buy new instead of used anyways. It sucks for consumers but is great for game companies and retailers. It's never going to stop.

KKK Bowl II Champion New York Giants
2005 TSM Fantasy Baseball Champion Pawtucket Red Sox
2006 TSM Fantasy Football Champion Pawtucket Patriots!!!
2011 TSM H2H Fantasy Football Champion
2012 TSM H2H Fantasy Football Champion

PSN ID: Theschill

Offline AntiLeaf33

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2009, 03:08:07 AM »
As long as the characters are available down the road via DLC, then its not as bad. I'm still not a fan of these game company's nickle and diming us to death with DLC though.

Offline AndrewTS

• secure in his masculinity
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2009, 03:09:49 AM »
As long as the characters are available down the road via DLC, then its not as bad. I'm still not a fan of these game company's nickle and diming us to death with DLC though.

When you buy it and just bitch about it, you're an enabler, though.  That includes every one of you who has paid for an avatar or a theme. 

Unless it's a downloadable expansion pack that actually offers a lot of content (like Oblivion's EPs and Fallout's--although many would argue the latter) or free, none of this shit is worth it.

Remember all that talk of "microtransactions," where you would get something decent for less than a dollar?

Whatever happened to that?

This pre-order exclusive shit has got to stop. Kind of kills the appeal of buying the game later on down the road if you are going to miss out on some characters.

It depends.  In the case of Prince of Persia, the limited edition upgrade was a) free, b) the code to unlock the bonus costumes would work on any copy of he game and you could just look it up online anyway, c) you could do it long after the game came out.

OTOH, the Gamestop exclusive Red Hulk was in special copies of the game--not that it really mattered much (a skin's a skin), but it's an annoying practice).

Overall, though, these Limited Editions and Special Editions where you fork over tons extra money is just ridiculous and makes everyone who buys into it look like idiots.  Night vision goggles were neat, but that's still a lot of extra expense, and it's not like you couldn't buy them yourself separately.  All these useless pieces of plastic like cat helmets and plastic lancers and shit--it makes lots of gamers look like the whiny kids who always bitch they want a happy meal for the crappy useless toys included in them.  As long as there is a non-tard pack, it's okay, but does no one get a bit offended the way these companies attempt to exploit all these manchildren with too much money on their hands?

Of course, I'm talking about the 3rd sequel to a mediocre series of games that sells mainly on its license and hasn't evolved at all since the first game, so I guess I should expect nothing less.
The geek shall inherit the earth.

"We're all geeks. I'm trying to reclaim that word, because a geek is just someone who carries the enthusiasm of childhood into adult life." -- Simon Pegg, co-writer/star of "Shaun of the Dead."

I gave up watching pro wrestling in favor of something better written, more coherent, and less insulting to my intelligence--girly comic books.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2009, 03:52:06 AM »
I'm confused with the Juggernaut DLC. They first said it was PS3 exlcusive, and only through GameStop. Now I see a Free DLC on the PSN that has some confusing wording around it. Either it gets you Juggernaut, or you can play with people who have Juggernaut online.

Offline AntiLeaf33

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2009, 04:07:47 AM »
I'm confused with the Juggernaut DLC. They first said it was PS3 exlcusive, and only through GameStop. Now I see a Free DLC on the PSN that has some confusing wording around it. Either it gets you Juggernaut, or you can play with people who have Juggernaut online.

I think it just allows you to play online with someone who has Juggernaut.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2009, 04:18:05 AM »
Figures.

So, is Juggernaut a pre-order bonus only with GameStop? Or if I went there and got the game would it come with the code anyway? It's not that big of a deal, but I know my girlfriend wants me to get this for the multi-player aspect so I figure I might as well go where the extra content is.

Offline AntiLeaf33

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2009, 05:08:25 AM »
I think he is just a pre-order character.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2009, 05:35:41 AM »
What I saw on a game board is that for now Juggernaut is a GameStop exclusive and in a short while, he will be able to be purchased from PSN or Xbox Live.  Best Buy was offering a code for Hulk with pre-order, even though Hulk can be unlocked after a few levels of playing apparently.
[img width=800

Offline Broward

• THUGBUTT CHEATERS
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2009, 08:10:52 AM »
Hulk can be unlocked when you find five "Gamma Mutations" or something. Thor is five Asgardian Runes and Jean is five pices of M'krattian (sp?) tech.

Offline AntiLeaf33

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2009, 09:20:05 AM »
Sounds like its the same shit that Wal-Mart pulled with SmackDown! last year. They gave you the codes to unlock Taz, and a bunch of other guys that you would have unlocked as you played through the game anyway.

Offline Scroby

• Low rent Indy Referee
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2009, 04:50:04 PM »

When did he become ps3 exclusive?
Ah maybe he's just a Gamestop exclusive but I thought he was also just a PS3 exclusive...my mistake.
WRONG! I'm perfectly sane everyone else however is insane and is trying to steal my magic bag.

Offline El Psycho Diablo

« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2009, 09:47:48 AM »
I like it, but there are enough annoyances that it's just driving me up a wall. It really needs a patch for some of these things.

+
- If you liked the first, you'll probably like this.
- Boss battles are no longer "Do stupid things to force Quick Time Events".
- The camera is improved over the first game.
- Costumes no longer mess with your abilities, so Wolverine will not lose his regeneration because he's got a different outfit.
- Iron Fist. Just..Iron Fist.

-
- If you're in a hosted co-op game, you can't even switch costumes unless the host also has the costume for the character unlocked. You can't even view hero stats or anything unless it's the character you're currently playing. This effectively means that for a two-player game, the host can tweak three characters and you get one. If you trust their choices or the auto level it isn't so bad, but I can't stand it.
- The Auto Level doesn't seem to want to stay off. Combine this with ^ and it's rather annoying.
- The hair models for a lot of people are just awful. Like PS2 game awful.
- The game in general is a little glitchy. Example: Had a boss disappear after a cutscene, leaving us totally unable to finish that level without reloading.
- The camera's tethered too tightly to the other player. If you like exploring for those hidden items, guess what? You have to drag the other players along with you if you move like five feet. You also can't even rotate the damn thing without affecting everyone..I don't quite get it, either.
- The auto save is unreliable. Finished the game, waiting for the other player to get through the credits, they disconnect, I get punted to the menu screen..and get totally screwed. Not even a "Congratulations, you beat the game, would you like to save?" screen. Last auto save is on the
Spoiler: show
prison
level. Partially my fault, because I'm normally over paranoid and save too often, but..that's just unforgivable.

?
- The voices. Some of them were so perfect in the first game..and are totally different here. I can understand it won't always be the same due to other commitments and the like, but it took what..three years after MUA?
- Some of the roster choices are a little out there, but I imagine they'll nickel and dime us with DLC for all the characters that are already in the game that you can't play for some mysterious reason.
- Only two costumes per player, and some are a little..unusual.

Offline griffinmills

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2009, 09:07:01 AM »
FYI all, you can straight up buy Juggernaught now as vanilla DLC with no restrictions or pre-order-fucking-bullshit-of-all-time.

Got a copy of MUA2 as a gift, dropped the 2$ on Juggs then enjoyed the MUA standard trope of, "You can't play him till after we set up the story in level one..." crap.  Once we got through that much more fun was had.  Still this game is victim of a mistake I see more and more of wherein developers make "everything" about the game "better" but fuck it up.  Sure the graphics are better, too bad the cut scenes are now stock in game crap and look stiff.  Sound and music is bigger and better but the voice actors are amazingly "WTF" versus some of the great work in the original.  Fighting game play is tighter for the punchy-kicky crap and the moves are all more thought out and... homogenized(?) it felt more wild, fun and free in the original.  Basically they went item by item and made the game "better" and somehow that made it worse.  Feels like a case of design trumping fun and, as has been mentioned, they still fuck up and give you way over-the-top super attacks and the game is easy-peasy.

I don't remember thinking the original was a 10 or anything but now this game comes out and makes me think MUA1 was a perfect game.  Still, give it a shot if you liked the original as the template is still there, just a lot of changes you may or may not like.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2009, 09:13:43 AM »
FYI all, you can straight up buy Juggernaught now as vanilla DLC with no restrictions or pre-order-fucking-bullshit-of-all-time.

Thanks for the heads up on Juggernaught.  I was planning on buying him as DLC.  I have this but haven't even touched this yet because I've been debating finishing the first one, after your review, I'm still trying to decide.
[img width=800

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
Re: Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2018, 04:15:05 PM »
Guess this is the thread to bump but after years of saying it was going to happen, both Ultimate Alliance games have been pulled across all platforms for digital sales - so now may be time to get your hands on discs if you want before prices inflate more.
[img width=800

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
Re: Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2018, 07:00:50 PM »
I hope they're going to reboot the series like is rumored http://www.denofgeek.com/us/games/marvel/261765/square-enixs-marvel-avengers-project-trailer-and-news

The second game is nowhere near as good as the first but I still really enjoyed it overall. MUA1 is one of my favourite fighting games though