Author Topic: The Vs Fighting Game Thread - News & Views..  (Read 34483 times)

Description:

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
The Vs Fighting Game Thread - News & Views..
« Reply #300 on: April 24, 2010, 02:22:49 PM »
I love fighting games.. I own probably 50+ of them.. but damn, I could never get into watching other people play. Not even in arcades back in the day.
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Matt Young

« Reply #301 on: April 24, 2010, 02:47:33 PM »
Same here, as far as watching people play. 

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #302 on: April 25, 2010, 03:13:11 AM »
I actually never could until I found out who exactly the people are who I normally play against and how good they are. Also, it makes for good reference material for my fights, because usually you can see things you normally don't do in matches that you should or shouldn't be doing.

Though I also appreciate the genre a lot more. After Street Fighter 2, I absolutely thought the genre was a joke, till I got really involved with Melty Blood Act Cadenza Version B. Then I started realizing that there was a lot more to the genre than just beating the crap out of someone else.

Offline Jer

• Lag Abusing Scrub
« Reply #303 on: April 25, 2010, 05:55:47 AM »
I was pretty excited about learning Juri based on some of the early vids, and after watching Marn play her at a tournament this weekend, I'm totally sold.  I was looking for another non-shoto aggressive kind of character, and she looks like she'll do quite well.  Even more hyped for the game now.

I also hear Rufus's new Ultra eats fireballs and does a ton of damage.  Hopefully it makes the Sagat matchup not so terrible.  Thoth - Have you gotten to mess with Rufus at all?  Have you noticed any other changes?

Two days.  Hype!
Someone get this man a keyboard and about ten frames of lag!

Offline devo

« Reply #304 on: April 25, 2010, 05:59:57 AM »
Initially I'm going to try and see if Dudley's any good, since he was the only character I ever played in Third Strike ('cause he's fucking class personified) and I'd really really like to main him in SSF4. Still annoyed that they changed his voice, but I guess it's not that big a deal.

Offline Thoth

• Curleh Mustache~
« Reply #305 on: April 25, 2010, 06:01:09 AM »
I was pretty excited about learning Juri based on some of the early vids, and after watching Marn play her at a tournament this weekend, I'm totally sold.  I was looking for another non-shoto aggressive kind of character, and she looks like she'll do quite well.  Even more hyped for the game now.

I also hear Rufus's new Ultra eats fireballs and does a ton of damage.  Hopefully it makes the Sagat matchup not so terrible.  Thoth - Have you gotten to mess with Rufus at all?  Have you noticed any other changes?

Two days.  Hype!

Rufus's EX Snake Strike does a little less damage. I'd say about 10% less. It's still really scary. The dive kick also seems... less effective somehow? I can't explain it yet. But you are correct about Rufus's Ultra 2. It has a range of about half the screen or so.

Offline luke-o

• Pack it in Frank you silly barstool!
  • www.thecollectorsroom.co.uk
    • The LADcast - A weekly podcast from Luke and Drew (L.A.D - Geddit?)
« Reply #306 on: April 25, 2010, 06:23:28 AM »
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/04/17/rumor-marvel-vs-capcom-3-going-hd-on-360-ps3-in-late-2010-or/

There've been rumors swirling around about a sequel to Capcom's superhero-flavored fighter Marvel vs Capcom 2 pretty much since the game arrived 10 years ago. And given Capcom's recent success with a Street Fighter revival -- not to mention the sales rampage of MvC2 on XBLA and PSN -- the sequel rumormill has once again begun turning furiously. This week's press-only Captivate event in Hawaii, held yearly by the Japanese publisher, is said to have showcased just such a sequel in Marvel vs Capcom 3 for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, claims PlanetXbox360. At the same event, a sequel to Bionic Commando: Rearmed is alleged to have been announced, though no details are given.

According to the report, MvC3 will receive a retail release and will run in "full 1080p." Allegedly, while the full character list is unknown, some have been confirmed. "Wolverine, Spider-Man, The Hulk, Magneto, Storm, and a few others will be back; but the team behind MvC3 have said they will be blowing fans out of the water with the sheer number of characters this game includes," the piece claims. Rather than sticking with 2D graphics of MvC2, the rumored sequel is said to mix Street Fighter IV's graphical style with the last Marvel vs Capcom game's 2D style. The piece finally claims we'll hear more about the title next week and it'll even be playable at E3 in June. When we reached out to Capcom for comment, we were told, "We don't comment on speculation and rumors."

Crossing my fingers...

http://www.youtube.com/v/n44ZzayoBAM&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1

I've only just seen this, but I came.

No homo.

I will eat all of your dicks if Daniel Bryan ACTUALLY cashes in his MITB at Wrestlemania
7 months and counting...

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • All hail Gritty!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
« Reply #307 on: April 25, 2010, 03:51:51 PM »
I wish it was coming out this year. Whenever I play MVC2 online, I get annihilated and it will probably repeat itself in MVC3.
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #308 on: April 26, 2010, 05:37:17 AM »
MvC3 Niitsuma interview: http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/2889094

No Fantastic Four and apparently characters like Nemesis and Tyrant were too "grotesque and disgusting" from a ratings standpoint... for a fighting game. Uh, ok. o_O

Offline Black Lushus

« Reply #309 on: April 26, 2010, 05:44:36 AM »
No offense to Blackheart and that Octopus thing but come ON, they're in it and no FF???

Offline Nymyzys

• TRTSM's Color Commentator
« Reply #310 on: April 26, 2010, 06:45:48 AM »
Shuma made it in?  Lame.  Blackheart can be fun though.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #311 on: April 26, 2010, 06:50:46 AM »
That was MvC2..

It may be the omnipresent "licensing issues" when it comes to FF..

Offline Nymyzys

« Reply #312 on: April 26, 2010, 06:51:25 AM »
Dante better be in this.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #313 on: April 26, 2010, 06:53:23 AM »
I bet he is. One of the shadows in the Capcom logo kinda looks like him.

Offline Nymyzys

« Reply #314 on: April 26, 2010, 06:59:39 AM »
It may have been fanmade, but I vivdly remember a screenshot supposedly from MvC3 in 2002-ish that showed Dante brawling with Captain America.  It was awesome, and got my hopes up. 

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #315 on: April 27, 2010, 05:09:58 AM »
Fuck it.. normally I love them, but Amazon can never seem to ship new releases on release day.. SSFIV doesn't get shipped until Thursday.. and by the time it gets here I'll have left on vacation and I'd at least wanted to try it out before that..... so I went and picked it up at HMV. Same price, to boot. Just going to return the Amazon one for credit when I get back.

Matt Young

« Reply #316 on: April 27, 2010, 10:27:16 AM »
Amazon.ca must suck, then.  The U.S. site is great.  Had my copy when I woke up.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #317 on: April 27, 2010, 11:17:25 AM »
They're usually really awesome. I've had things within 24 hours of ordering them. It just seems that videogames on release days always get the shaft when it comes to their suppliers.

Anyway, this game is awwwwwesome. So much to do. I've already done the trials for Ibuki and Adon, my two new goto's for this game, and I've just broken out my Hori stick for the first time since buying it a couple months ago. A little rusty, though.. I can't believe how used to a regular controller I am now.

Matt Young

« Reply #318 on: April 27, 2010, 11:57:44 AM »
My friend Paul from Texas sent me his Chun-Li branded Street Fighter controller for the cost of shipping- $6.  I should get it later this week. :)

Matt Young

« Reply #319 on: April 27, 2010, 10:03:43 PM »
I got my DLC code from Amazon for the SSFIV Super Classic Costume Pack.

I didn't get to play till late, but I played for a couple hours.  I love the game, even though I suck.  Using many continues, I beat Arcade Mode on Medium.  I played and lost 10 ranked matches before giving up for the night since I had stuff to watch on my DVR.

Offline ericmm

« Reply #320 on: April 27, 2010, 11:29:21 PM »
I got this and was able to play for errrr about two hours yesterday, including updating my PS3's firmware and registering for PSN, blargh.

username: ericmm76, btw.

I managed to play a few rounds and mostly got my ass beat.  Going to have to work the kinks out again.  My roommate was perched on her chair, eating her cereal, going, "didn't you play this game last year? Now you bought it again for $40? Do you feel ripped off now, or ripped off then?"

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #321 on: April 28, 2010, 01:31:16 AM »
I'm about 50/50 with ranked matches. Are there no more "friendly" matches where points aren't involved?

Offline Jer

• Lag Abusing Scrub
« Reply #322 on: April 28, 2010, 03:05:12 AM »
I got a few hours in yesterday, trying to learn Juri.  She seems fun.  Pinwheel is great.  Divekick is cool, but it's hard to get used to compared to Rufus's because with all the recovery after it doesn't seem like you can use it to force ground mixups.  I like her charge fireballs - I'm not sure if they're good, but they're really fun.

I need to practice Feng Shui Engine combos since it seems like there's not very many practical ways to combo into her Ultra 2.  Is the f.MK overhead into cr.LK with Feng Shui Engine activated a link?  I'm struggling to get the timing.  I need to figure that out so people won't just block low the whole match.

PSUJer on PSN if anyone wants to play...

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #323 on: April 28, 2010, 04:42:41 AM »
Actually got this yesterday, but I'm one of the unlucky people who get a unable to join error, so I can't play any of you folks.

Worse yet, I have to look into getting a wired controller because I have too many wireless stuff in my room my wireless controllers aren't functioning properly at all. Which also sucks because my tourney stick on the PS3 is wireless. ._. I'm so sad right now.

I've been going through the challenges, and I'm actually surprised that I managed to get through a ton of people to level 10 before I started having problems. Those four are:

Ken - Not so surprising since I used Ken and Ryu before. I like using Ken more than Ryu, as I like using Senpukyaku as a bounce up. But I suspected I would be better at using Ryu than Ken, simply because I suck at Shoryukens, which is Ken's specialty.

Cody - This is surprising simply because I didn't get very far originally, then went back to him and got to level 10.

Fei Long - When he was introduced I couldn't get him to work at all. However, all the sudden I'm able to get how to play him and doing decently in challenge mode. ...yes, I realize he was introduced after SF2, but I did play the genre later, I just didn't take it seriously.

Juri - This was the most surprising because I wasn't actually expecting her to be the one I can control the best. She's the one I've got the furthest along at level 13, so it was pretty cool that I got her right away.

The only thing I don't like right now is that I need to buy a new wired controller. That just sucks, because I already sunk $150 into my tourney stick.  ^_^ Though its funny that I'm not using the d-pad or tourney stick to play well, but the analog stick on the controller, so I don't even know if I can buy the wired d-pad and use it properly. ._.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #324 on: April 28, 2010, 05:21:01 AM »
Why don't you turn off or remove the other wireless stuff while you play? What do you have in there that's creating all the problems?

Offline Thoth

• Curleh Mustache~
« Reply #325 on: April 28, 2010, 07:03:24 AM »
I'm about 50/50 with ranked matches. Are there no more "friendly" matches where points aren't involved?

Endless Battle is what you want. It is Player Match, but with 8 person max lobbies instead of 2 person max lobbies.

Offline Thoth

• Curleh Mustache~
« Reply #326 on: April 28, 2010, 07:10:34 AM »
I should probably post here. I've tooled around with Adon a bit, but his jump-ins are tough to get used to. Easy comboing into Ultra 2, though.

Most of my time is spent playing with Vega, who is way too much fun now that the hitbox on the EX Wall Dive is increased, meaning my B&B combo (Jump in HK, Ducking MK, Ducking MP, EX Wall Dive) never whiffs. Also, Ultra 1 has antiair properties.

Nothing is more fun though, than playing with old college friends in Team Battle. They're not quite as good, but it works out; I take the Anchor (last) position. Last game we had, my other two buddies went out. I then steamrolled all three of them in wonderful fashion, and then was immediately booted from the room.

Glorious. I went back into my Battle Log (The last 30 matches you play in are automatically stored in the battle log, saving one of them from the log saves it permanently) and saved the most lopsided match permanently.

I almost got 10 wins in a row in Endless Battle for the cheevo, but apparently the 10 wins have to be earned in a single room, and cannot be spread across two rooms (otherwise, I'd have 11 wins).

I'm stuck on Vega Trial 19, but I think I know the trick to it. I've completed all of Adon's Trials, which are all easy enough. I like that Survival and Time Attack are gone because they sucked, and the way you get colors and taunts makes a lot more sense. I like the new way you get character-specific titles (ranking up).

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #327 on: April 28, 2010, 11:33:50 AM »
Why don't you turn off or remove the other wireless stuff while you play? What do you have in there that's creating all the problems?

Well, I bought the wireless (returning tomorrow) and its a problem with the controllers themselves. Each button is getting a delayed reaction into the next move, so I can't complete simple combos like Ryu's 2mp 2mp 2hk because it doesn't register the next button hit right away or when I'm trying to do like Juri's 5mp 236lk 214214ak.

So I guess I'm hunting down some street fight d-pads tomorrow since its built to fight.

I wish my Hori controller was working right, but I'm guessing since its wireless, that's what's causing the exact same issue. Before anyone asks, yes I realize I'm a stupid idiot for getting a wireless Hori.

The thing that upsets me though, is from what I've tested with both the wireless and the wired, is I can only play really well with the analog stick in position where I can rotate it properly with my thumb, like the Pelican wired I just bought for a trial test (thank God Walmart does take backs).

Offline ChrisMWaters

• Riding the waves of Insanity
    • Watersfall Industries
« Reply #328 on: April 28, 2010, 11:42:15 AM »

CURRENT EPISODE: Watercolors #7: Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestling
"You're only given a little spark of madness.  And if you lose that, you're nothing."
Robin Williams
HBO Special

Offline Nymyzys

« Reply #329 on: April 28, 2010, 11:50:04 AM »
Stan Lee can eat a dick.  I still haven't forgiven him for the Major Victory fiasco.  Yes, I know the show was rigged.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #330 on: April 28, 2010, 01:22:46 PM »
I think Stan as a bonus character would be hilarious. Akiman would be a cool addition as well, if he still worked for Capcom.

Matt Young

« Reply #331 on: April 28, 2010, 09:01:15 PM »
Played with 7 friends for hours tonight.  I even did well at times.  This game is so much fun.

Offline ericmm

« Reply #332 on: April 29, 2010, 12:37:49 AM »
I got beat about as badly as I expected to be beaten when playing Jer.  Juri's EX cartwheel kicks are scaryscaryscary.

LOL's at the time I rolled a Cody when picking random despite having NEVER used him (maybe once or twice in Alpha 3...) and rolling Gen 3 times!

I'm really glad I got to use a bit of T.Hawk and Adon.

But honestly the numbers are getting a little high to be playing Random so much. I don't think it leads to "just mashing", but it does get a little frustrating having to try to remember which ultras are which, frantically flipping through the manual during the matchup screen. Would alphabetical character listings been too much to ask for?

Would be interested in trying out this 3+ person room if anyone else is down, I dunno how we'd arrange it, but it sounds like fun. Less Juri / Rufus matchups, although a 50/50 split is way better than 100/0 split...

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #333 on: April 29, 2010, 01:20:33 AM »
Played with 7 friends for hours tonight.  I even did well at times.  This game is so much fun.

Too bad you pussied out and got the 360 version. :P

But honestly the numbers are getting a little high to be playing Random so much. I don't think it leads to "just mashing", but it does get a little frustrating having to try to remember which ultras are which, frantically flipping through the manual during the matchup screen. Would alphabetical character listings been too much to ask for?

This is why you need to practice a character until you have him/her down pat, in versus or arcade or even the trials. ;)

I was owning everyone who came up against me last night - win streak FTW! I really like the 1 round setting in network battles. I find that the other people I'm facing really seem to up the ante when it comes to strategy and it presents a greater challenge for me.

I don't know the specifics of what was changed, but the flow and balancing in this game feels so much better than the first. I'm actually finding that my trusty old Blanka is even more of a beast this time out as I feel like it's much easier to flow from some of his combos into the charge moves now.

PS - when are motherfuckas gonna learn that standing across the screen and sloppily throwing hadoken's is NOT a valid defence and that there are players (like me) who know how to get around it and whup their ass in return?

Offline ericmm

« Reply #334 on: April 29, 2010, 02:10:42 AM »
I am a mystery wrapped in an enigma:

Tekken: King, King, King, King, Kingkingkingkingking, King
SF: Random

It has caused frustration in the past! On both ends!

Although it did help my Guilty Gear game to only play Baiken. Hmm...

But how could I choose?

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #335 on: April 29, 2010, 02:45:27 AM »
Depends on how you play, really. I used to be a mark for Cammy & Ken.. and I would never touch chargers.. but once I started playing Blanka purely on a whim I found that I was really good with him. Like 10x better than I am with any of the QCF characters like Ryu, Ken, Cammy, etc. Though I still do go back to Sagat here and there.

I find with chargers I'm able to play a more defensive game and I usually end up on the winning side when the other player is too offensive for their own good. If I'm looking to go into serious offense mode, then I usually will pick Cammy (or now, Adon, with SSFIV)

While we're on the subject.. has anyone ever noticed that almost everyone who picks Ryu or Ken almost ALWAYS jumps toward you at the beginning of a match? I love it because I just hammer them with Blanka's vertical ball attack. The best part is when they try it again right after that.

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #336 on: April 29, 2010, 05:19:21 AM »
PS - when are motherfuckas gonna learn that standing across the screen and sloppily throwing hadoken's is NOT a valid defence and that there are players (like me) who know how to get around it and whup their ass in return?

That's like asking when pigs are going to fly. Hell, even I use it sometimes when I'm not sure what I'm going to do next, but at least I know you can get around it.

I gotta say the more I play Juri, the more I like her. She's got a nifty combo of an EX air move, that after you nail it, you can land her second ultra, Kaisen something something. I forget the name. Its a pretty sweet combo. I haven't really figured out a good way to use her Engine (Ultra 1), but Kaisen works just fine for me.

Now if only I could pull off moves as easily in actual combat as I do in Challenges and Training. Its annoying that I can pull off Fuhajin or Senshousha or even Kaisen in Training yet, in combat I can only get off Senshousha (I'm probably spelling this wrong, its her backwards wheel kick, 214ak).

Offline Thoth

• Curleh Mustache~
« Reply #337 on: April 29, 2010, 05:44:20 AM »
Completed Vega's trials, and got my 10 wins in a row in Endless mode over a nice long evening. If anyone wants to try team battle, I'm free at 7 Pacific. Any takers?

Offline Jer

• Lag Abusing Scrub
« Reply #338 on: April 29, 2010, 07:33:04 AM »
Heh I got my ten wins in a row in endless too (thanks Eric!), but I still need to get it in ranked.

Juri's fun.  I love her focus attack combo, FA, backdash, EX divekick, EX pinwheel kick.  So stylish.  I'm worried about how unsafe she is, though.  When people realize how hard you can punish pinwheel, especially EX, she's going to be a lot harder to win with.

I <3 Rufus's Ultra 2.  Shotos have something to fear now, yay!  Sagat/Rufus still feels like a terrible matchup, though, but not quite as bad as before.

Eric - It seemed like Vega was the scariest of your characters to play against, other than your flowcharty Sagat.  You might want to mess with him more.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #339 on: April 29, 2010, 02:26:11 PM »
I'm trying to get into Dee Jay right now.. he's pretty good but he's terrible against Rufus and Abel, especially Abel, so far. :(

Offline ericmm

« Reply #340 on: April 30, 2010, 05:30:31 AM »
But I don't think I used even half of the characters... And I never would have guessed that Vega was my heavy hitter.

Offline SBofn

• Shelton Benjamin outta fuckin' nowhere!
« Reply #341 on: April 30, 2010, 05:42:19 AM »
Eric - It seemed like Vega was the scariest of your characters to play against, other than your flowcharty Sagat.  You might want to mess with him more.

I imagine a Sagat flowchart to be basically four different decision routes to Tiger Knee.
Of course cage matches work.  If they didn't work, everybody would still be in the cage.

--Michael Scott

Offline ericmm

« Reply #342 on: April 30, 2010, 06:23:22 AM »
It would be prudent at this juncture...

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #343 on: April 30, 2010, 06:33:55 AM »
Eric, add me to your list - wquinn - I keep forgetting to add you and while I really do mean to I am sure I'll forget by the time I get home tonight.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin

Offline luke-o

• Pack it in Frank you silly barstool!
  • www.thecollectorsroom.co.uk
    • The LADcast - A weekly podcast from Luke and Drew (L.A.D - Geddit?)
« Reply #345 on: May 02, 2010, 08:02:39 AM »
That's pretty awful.

I will eat all of your dicks if Daniel Bryan ACTUALLY cashes in his MITB at Wrestlemania
7 months and counting...

Offline AndrewTS

• secure in his masculinity
« Reply #346 on: May 05, 2010, 09:05:56 AM »
The geek shall inherit the earth.

"We're all geeks. I'm trying to reclaim that word, because a geek is just someone who carries the enthusiasm of childhood into adult life." -- Simon Pegg, co-writer/star of "Shaun of the Dead."

I gave up watching pro wrestling in favor of something better written, more coherent, and less insulting to my intelligence--girly comic books.

Offline devo

« Reply #347 on: May 10, 2010, 07:36:09 AM »
Having just played a pretty good El Fuerte, I've now played against every character in SSF4 on live. Fuerte is hilarious to play against. The El Fuerte Ultra Spark does so much freaking damage that once his revenge meter is filled the entire match becomes about avoiding that move.

Offline ericmm

« Reply #348 on: May 12, 2010, 02:54:58 AM »
Ditto Guy's 2nd Ultra.

My gawd the power! And he's so FAST.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin