Author Topic: The Vs Fighting Game Thread - News & Views..  (Read 35286 times)

Description:

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
  • You don't know me and you don't have to know me
The Vs Fighting Game Thread - News & Views..
« Reply #600 on: February 20, 2011, 03:26:39 AM »
There's something very unnatural about doing the Hurricane Kick / Shoryuken combo using the same button, but it's easy to get used to.

I'm probably being very stupid but I can't figure out how to tag and don't feel like getting the book. I just assumed it was two buttons like before but that did nothing.

I love fighting game storytelling logic -
Spoiler: Chun Li • show
You defeated Galactus and saved the Earth! That means you arrested Kingpin, who we didn't even mention you were after!

Better than MVC2's total lack of endings, though.

Offline Broward

• THUGBUTT CHEATERS
« Reply #601 on: February 20, 2011, 05:44:30 AM »
You can tag out via a few options:

A: Hold either Assist 1 or Assist 2.

B: DHC (Delayed Hyper Combo). Granted, you can only use this option if you have the meter to do so and it'll only tag in the next person on your list..but its a safe way to bring someone in.

C: Air Combo. If you can launch your opponent into the air and perform a successful air tag, you can bring in the next team member on the list.

D: Counter Assist. I believe (I have the guide, but I'm not gonna search for it right now) that after you block, immediately push forward and one of the assist buttons. This will tag in which ever member you had on A1 or A2, having them do a quick attack on your opponent and letting you tag in safely.

There might be one or two other ways, but I'm sure Thoth knows what they are.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
« Reply #602 on: February 20, 2011, 06:06:35 AM »
I figured out holding Assist tagged, complete with the old trick of being able to switch partners before the fight even beings.

I swear I won a match without ever using assist or swapping out, but I did not get the Trophy for doing so. Maybe I did a team combo and forgot.

Offline luke-o

• Pack it in Frank you silly barstool!
  • www.thecollectorsroom.co.uk
    • The LADcast - A weekly podcast from Luke and Drew (L.A.D - Geddit?)
« Reply #603 on: February 21, 2011, 05:53:45 AM »
Haggar is from Final Fight from 89.  Zangief didn't appear until SF2 in 91.

You misunderstood me, I meant in terms of moves. All of his moves are that of Zangief.

...and you're a fool if you think Wesker sucks. That fucker is like a god damned one man blitzkrieg. Seems to hit just as hard as fuckin Sent but moves 1000x faster...add in that damned teleport and what people are calling "maximum wesker" and he's a buzz-saw.

Meh, maybe I need to try him again. But I was less than impressed with him from first impressions. I have only really given the game about half an hours worth of play.

Oh, and Dante is more than "alright" as well. Learn his combos and he can fuck shit up right quick..

Again, only half an hours worth of play. It was all based off first impressions.

This sounds like you have OCD. Does it matter which way you do motions? Just makes the game more needlessly complex.

Maybe I'm just a traditionalist. It's the same with the Dead Island trailer. I think the world of gaming has just passed me by and I'm and old fart who didn't move along with it. I just think that having a simplistic control scheme and the same move list for everyone mkaes the game needlessly easy. There's no challange there.

I will eat all of your dicks if Daniel Bryan ACTUALLY cashes in his MITB at Wrestlemania
7 months and counting...

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #604 on: February 22, 2011, 01:57:47 AM »
Luke, Zangief's moves are based off of Haggar's stuff from Final Fight. All of the Wrestling moves plus the Spinning Clothesline were moves Haggar would use in the arcade beat 'em up. They were just made more "complex" for fighting games when they were given to Zangief.

Dante is a beast. I can't say enough good things about him. SO much damage! Also starting to really get into using Amaterasu! The wolf has some fun combos!
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline luke-o

« Reply #605 on: February 22, 2011, 02:02:05 AM »
Luke, Zangief's moves are based off of Haggar's stuff from Final Fight. All of the Wrestling moves plus the Spinning Clothesline were moves Haggar would use in the arcade beat 'em up. They were just made more "complex" for fighting games when they were given to Zangief.

Okay, but Hagger's moves in MvC3 (esp his ultra) are Zangief moves. From my recoglection, Haggar has never been in a non-scrolling beat-em up and therefore has never had moves. So, therefore, his moves are based of Zangief.

I'm not being pedantic, I think you just mis-understood what I meant.

I will eat all of your dicks if Daniel Bryan ACTUALLY cashes in his MITB at Wrestlemania
7 months and counting...

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #606 on: February 22, 2011, 03:18:24 AM »
No I understood.. I'm just reiterating the fact that pretty much every move (not talking about Ultras here) that Zangief has had originated from moves Haggar used in Final Fight. The Suplexes. Piledriver. Spinning Clothesline. Dropkick. Diving Clothesline, etc.

What I don't understand is how you come to the conclusion that characters in side-scrollers don't have moves. Moves are moves.

Offline Broward

• THUGBUTT CHEATERS
« Reply #607 on: February 22, 2011, 03:30:42 AM »

Okay, but Hagger's moves in MvC3 (esp his ultra) are Zangief moves. From my recoglection, Haggar has never been in a non-scrolling beat-em up and therefore has never had moves. So, therefore, his moves are based of Zangief.

Wrong. Haggar was in Saturday Night Slam Masters. A non-side scrolling game.. In fact, it was a wrestling game.

Offline Thoth

• Curleh Mustache~
« Reply #608 on: February 22, 2011, 05:45:07 AM »
In SF2, Zangief was given Haggar's moves from Final Fight on purpose. This was intentional.

As far as MvC 3 goes, yeah, there's some overlap, but to me, they play like different characters.

Online Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • All hail Gritty!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
« Reply #609 on: February 22, 2011, 06:15:21 AM »

Wrong. Haggar was in Saturday Night Slam Masters. A non-side scrolling game.. In fact, it was a wrestling game.

Also this game...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fight_Revenge
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Offline Nymyzys

• TRTSM's Color Commentator
« Reply #610 on: February 22, 2011, 08:40:08 AM »
God, Saturday Night Slam Masters was a lot of fun!

Offline luke-o

« Reply #611 on: February 22, 2011, 09:06:32 AM »
No I understood.. I'm just reiterating the fact that pretty much every move (not talking about Ultras here) that Zangief has had originated from moves Haggar used in Final Fight. The Suplexes. Piledriver. Spinning Clothesline. Dropkick. Diving Clothesline, etc.

What I don't understand is how you come to the conclusion that characters in side-scrollers don't have moves. Moves are moves.

Again, not explaining myself well.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make is that Haggar stuck me as a character that would be a 360 control scheme (similar to Zangief) but he is all fireballs. I just made that point badly. Very, very badly.

I still really haven't had a proper play of the game yet. My total time since Friday has amounted to around half an hour. Not good. My housemates on the other hand had a huge session on it today. I stopped to watch them play for a moment and was amazed at how well they picked the game up - bearing in mind that none of them play/like fighting games. So they just button mashed their way through but managed to pull of huge combos and ultras.

7 months and counting...

Offline griffinmills

• I finally changed this.
« Reply #612 on: February 22, 2011, 04:24:48 PM »

Also this game...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fight_Revenge

He also was in two side scrolling beat-em-ups where he had more SF2 style moves!  Mighty Final Fight and, especially, Final Fight 3 on Snes.  FF3 he came complete with a super meter which was built up through use of moves like his Iron Hammer double axe handle thingy and dashing attacks, etc.

Didn't know Haggar had so many fans.  He's pretty much my favorite Capcom character of all time and I've just been quietly enjoying him since walking in to a Japan-town bowling alley and seeing Final Fight for the first time back in 1990.  Although I like me some Zangief too, I'm really wishing we had gotten Juggernaut in MVC3 which is easily my favorite Marvel villain and had been since that shitty Pryde of the X-Men cartoon.

Zangief in SF2 seemed to have pretty much every move Haggar did short of the Gut Punches to Double Axe Handle combo and grappling headBUTTs and more so.  Obviously punched up the Flying Piledriver with some Spin Action and gave him crouching throws and grapples too.  I remember being so sad they pulled the (Forward Kick) german suplex from the SNES port of SF2.  I'm surprised to read Haggar's moveset isn't 360 based.  I'd been pretty much avoiding hype machine on this game but this thread has me interested now, off to the FAQs!

Edit:  Ahh I see, Half Circles for the big throws.  I'm cool with that, reminds me of Fatal Fury.

Offline Thoth

• Curleh Mustache~
« Reply #613 on: February 23, 2011, 04:08:07 AM »
There's been a movement within Capcom, mostly from the US side, to remove all 360 motions in fighting games. Zangief was changed to half circles for HD Remix.

I'd go on as to why SF4 wasn't changed, but I don't think cares as much as I might.

Offline luke-o

« Reply #614 on: February 23, 2011, 09:32:00 AM »
Well, I would love to hear. I've been banging on about it for my last few posts so I'd love to know about the changes.

Why were they made in the first place?

7 months and counting...

Offline Thoth

• Curleh Mustache~
« Reply #615 on: February 24, 2011, 02:47:59 AM »
Well, I would love to hear. I've been banging on about it for my last few posts so I'd love to know about the changes.

Why were they made in the first place?

I'll keep it short. Ultimately? 720 motions. Most humans cannot do a standing 720. A double half circle is possible though. Pursuant to that, existing 360 motions would need be changed to half circles.

David Sirlin wrote an article on this, see if you can dig it up at www.sirlin.net

Online Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #616 on: February 24, 2011, 03:56:53 AM »
In order to 730's, I rotate the joystick as fast as I can and then pray to God that it works. It works better in the modern games than the classic Street Fighters. I'm amazed at the gamers who can do it on a constant basis.
Still beats doing a lot of the SNK motions.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #617 on: February 24, 2011, 04:43:11 AM »
That's what I'd do, too, MT. I'm in favour of eliminating those motions.. it makes the game more accessible to a wider range of players, IMO.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #618 on: February 24, 2011, 05:29:22 AM »
The way I see it is if i can do a 360 and I try for a 720, there's a good chance I'll get the 360 move off.
Matt, don't be a fag. Post some huge cocks.

Offline ChrisMWaters

• Riding the waves of Insanity
    • Watersfall Industries
« Reply #619 on: February 24, 2011, 06:05:43 AM »
To 360 MvC3 players, I ask this...

Has ANYONE gotten Quick Match to work in the ranked matches?

CURRENT EPISODE: Watercolors #7: Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestling
"You're only given a little spark of madness.  And if you lose that, you're nothing."
Robin Williams
HBO Special

Offline The ghost of bps21

• Wade the Duck says: Your brush with Greatness is OVER!
« Reply #620 on: February 24, 2011, 09:39:59 AM »
Rarely if ever.  If you want to play ranked matches start up offline arcade with it set to search for ranked opponents while you play.  You'll find one quickly.

Offline devo

« Reply #621 on: February 24, 2011, 02:34:13 PM »
You can do the same thing in training mode, too. It's rare that I'm waiting more than fifteen seconds for a game.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
« Reply #622 on: March 08, 2011, 10:19:58 AM »
Zero's ending is funny.

Opening Video 4 is quite the epic piece of work.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
« Reply #623 on: March 10, 2011, 12:52:10 AM »
I played the Mortal Kombat demo last night. It's fun and familiar, I'll give it that. The full game should be good, though I imagine after awhile people will get tired of watching the X-Ray moves slow everything down.

Offline Thoth

• Curleh Mustache~
« Reply #624 on: March 10, 2011, 03:04:00 AM »
Zero's ending is funny.

Opening Video 4 is quite the epic piece of work.

Zero's ending is quality if you get it, otherwise it makes no sense. Although all the mega man games do take place within the same universe, just at different points in time.

Offline AntiLeaf33

« Reply #625 on: March 10, 2011, 07:19:19 AM »
I played the Mortal Kombat demo last night. It's fun and familiar, I'll give it that. The full game should be good, though I imagine after awhile people will get tired of watching the X-Ray moves slow everything down.

I suck pretty bad at fighting games, but I used to love Mortal Kombat back in the day. Might pick it up after a few weeks if the reviews are good.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
« Reply #626 on: March 10, 2011, 10:26:49 AM »
The cool thing was I actually did a Fatality! Sometimes I can't seem to do the button combinations correctly but it was nice to just call up a move list and see that it was something like down, forward, down, triangle.

I couldn't get a stage fatality to work when playing as Scorpion or Sub-Zero though. Scorp's uses up twice, and I hate fatalities with "up" in them. I seem to remember that holding block is the key to that, but still nothing.

Offline Thoth

• Curleh Mustache~
« Reply #627 on: March 10, 2011, 01:34:35 PM »
The cool thing was I actually did a Fatality! Sometimes I can't seem to do the BUTTon combinations correctly but it was nice to just call up a move list and see that it was something like down, forward, down, triangle.

I couldn't get a stage fatality to work when playing as Scorpion or Sub-Zero though. Scorp's uses up twice, and I hate fatalities with "up" in them. I seem to remember that holding block is the key to that, but still nothing.

It used to be, up through UMK3, if a fatality ended with an up, you could hold block all the way through, not release it, and the motion would work. Dunno how it is now. I remember that because it makes Smoke's fatalities way easier.

Offline devo

« Reply #628 on: March 22, 2011, 04:00:54 AM »
MvC3 was patched today. Sentinel's health is down to 900,000 - from 1.3 million. Hilarious.

Offline Broward

• THUGBUTT CHEATERS
« Reply #629 on: March 22, 2011, 05:53:01 AM »
Yeah...they buffed two of his moves but to drop his health that low is fucking retarded.

Offline Thoth

• Curleh Mustache~
« Reply #630 on: March 22, 2011, 06:57:08 AM »
I know I should be one of them, being the competitive gamer or whatnot, but reading the thousand brayings of the damned at SRK is music to my ears.

BAWWWWWWWWWW

Offline Broward

• THUGBUTT CHEATERS
« Reply #631 on: March 22, 2011, 06:59:59 AM »
My thing is it just doesn't make sense to drop his health that low. Maybe a few thousand, yeah.. but to put him comparable with say Thor or Ryu is just stupid. Its already been shown just how easy it is to beat Sent so to cave in to people saying Sent has way too much health is just dumb, IMO.

Offline devo

« Reply #632 on: March 22, 2011, 07:04:44 AM »
The fact that he was nerfed so badly just makes it seem like a completely brazen concession to the casual player. The average online warrior couldn't figure out that Sentinel was pretty fucking easily beaten with a little knowledge of his shortcomings so he had to be rendered a borderline joke of a character in order to prevent scrubs from abandoning the game in droves.

Edit: Here's a video from Desk (who is fucking amazing) detailing two of the other changes (the removal of the Haggar/Spencer glitch and an Akuma adjustment that did away with his infinite).

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #633 on: April 07, 2011, 07:28:27 AM »
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/07/super-street-fighter-iv-arcade-edition-dlc/
The site ConsoleTECH has posted a trailer (presumably leaked from Capcom's Captivate event) for something that we probably all knew was coming anyway: Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition DLC for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions of SSFIV.

According to the trailer, the new DLC adds the arcade-only Yun, Yang, Evil Ryu and Oni characters, along with the changes to character balance made for the Japanese arcade release -- which contradicts a previous statement made by producer Yoshinori Ono. Those who download this add-on can still play against non-DLC Super Street Fighter IV players.

The update also enhances the "Replay Channel" with new features that allow you to send replay data to friends, "follow" certain people and watch their new replays, or watch only fights between people with 3000 PP or more.

Offline Thoth

• Curleh Mustache~
« Reply #634 on: April 12, 2011, 03:32:51 AM »
SSF4 AE will be DLC for $15 June 6, and as a disc for $40 on June 27 if you don't own it already. Also, it's coming to PC.

SF x Tekken has gameplay trailers and 10 confirmed peeps: Ryu, Ken, Guile, Abel, Chun-Li, Kazuya, Nina, King, Marduk, and Bob.

Offline SBofn

• Shelton Benjamin outta fuckin' nowhere!
« Reply #635 on: May 23, 2011, 12:22:52 PM »
Just got SSF4 in the mail.  If I get the complete Super and Complete Ultra collections, do I get every single costume released up to this point?
Of course cage matches work.  If they didn't work, everybody would still be in the cage.

--Michael Scott

Online Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #636 on: May 23, 2011, 12:30:42 PM »
SSF4 AE will be DLC for $15 June 6, and as a disc for $40 on June 27 if you don't own it already. Also, it's coming to PC.

Steam is selling for 35 dollars and I think it's coming out July 7th.

Am I the only one who wants SFA3 released on Xbox Live? I've been playing it on the PSP and I'd really like another version of it on another system.

Offline Nymyzys

« Reply #637 on: May 23, 2011, 08:27:24 PM »
I guess im out of the loop on this one.  I haven't heard of the AE until now.  I was actually coming here to post about getting SSF4 at Target yesterday for $14.99.  Looks like I have some DLC to look forward to.

Offline Nymyzys

« Reply #638 on: May 23, 2011, 08:28:37 PM »
*DOUBLE POST*

Offline Thoth

• Curleh Mustache~
« Reply #639 on: May 24, 2011, 02:32:34 AM »
Just got SSF4 in the mail.  If I get the complete Super and Complete Ultra collections, do I get every single costume released up to this point?

Nope. There's also the original alt costumes from Street FIghter 4 that carry over into Super Street Fighter 4.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #640 on: May 27, 2011, 05:47:52 AM »
lol @ all of the suckers who payed $60+ on ebay for Ermac classic costume codes...

Offline Smues

• Admin
  • Smuesicide
« Reply #641 on: May 27, 2011, 06:07:33 AM »
I was glad to see that DLC pack announced, because it's going to KILL the ebay market for those codes. At least the Ermac one I kind of understand because you had to buy the kollector's edition, but people were trying to sell the Scorpion/Sub-Zero/Reptile codes for obscene amounts of money. In some cases more than it would cost to just buy the full game with the damn code.
I want Jimmy Fallon to be dead. That doesn't make me a bad person.

Offline ChrisMWaters

• Watersfall Industries
« Reply #642 on: May 27, 2011, 06:46:19 AM »
Pause the video JUST as the fire from Scorpion is about to hit Sub-Zero.

Notice what happens to the costume.

A hint at an 8th costume in the pack, perhaps?

"You're only given a little spark of madness.  And if you lose that, you're nothing."
Robin Williams
HBO Special

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #643 on: May 27, 2011, 06:49:22 AM »
Yeah, that would be cool if we got Classic Smoke. I mean, it's basic and all but I love the "generic palette swap" ninjas from the early games. I still want Cyber Smoke, though, complete with his own fatalities, etc. :)

Offline Thoth

• Curleh Mustache~
« Reply #644 on: May 27, 2011, 06:53:10 AM »
This isn't Classic smoke, sadly. It's a bug related to the fact that all the classic costumes are the same just with different colors, that come from an original costume that is colored gray.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #645 on: May 27, 2011, 06:59:43 AM »
Yeah, I noticed a ton of those generic grey ninjas with the same style of costume all throughout the storymode, too.

Offline ChrisMWaters

• Watersfall Industries
« Reply #646 on: May 27, 2011, 05:44:01 PM »
This isn't Classic smoke, sadly. It's a bug related to the fact that all the classic costumes are the same just with different colors, that come from an original costume that is colored gray.
Which is kinda funny as I heard, during the Arcade days, the ninjas (both male and female) would wear red for the poses and the colors would be edited.

As seen in this video with Jade.

Robin Williams
HBO Special

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #647 on: May 28, 2011, 03:53:36 AM »
Yeah but that was when they were using real people in digitized form. Thoth is talking about a character render for this most recent game.

Offline luke-o

« Reply #648 on: May 30, 2011, 10:11:04 PM »
Is there anymore news on the Freddy and Jason additions for Mortal Kombat? Or was that just hyped fanboy wishing?

7 months and counting...

Offline ChrisMWaters

• Watersfall Industries
« Reply #649 on: May 31, 2011, 02:32:05 AM »
Is there anymore news on the Freddy and Jason additions for Mortal Kombat? Or was that just hyped fanboy wishing?
I haven't heard anything.  But seeing as the original news story said around Halloween, I'm guessing we won't get any further news if it's true until around that time.

In the meantime, here's the trailer for the first new character DLC, Skarlet.

Robin Williams
HBO Special