Author Topic: The Postmarks!  (Read 510 times)

Description:

Offline Czech

• Boardrunner Emeritus
The Postmarks!
« on: September 19, 2009, 07:57:07 AM »
Twee bullshit! Songs about weather and sweaters! They're somehow from Miami of all places! The singer's a cute girl! Her name's Tim!

So I now have all three Postmarks albums and I'm better off for it. I already raved about the s/t when I picked it up in '07. It's a bunch of tight Bacharachesque arrangements with little modern twists like sparingly used guitars and synths, except for "You Drift Away" which sounds for all the world like a Morrissey/Marr production with lead vocals outsourced to some girl.

I'm really quite taken with last year's By-the-Numbers and this year's Memoirs at the End of the World. The first one is a cutesy concept album where each song, covers all, has a number in the name or lyrics, from 1 to 12. My favorite is the Ramones' "7-11" done as a Shangri-Las sort of girl group death disc with big echoing castanets and all those Phil Spector trappings. "You Only Live Twice" works well too.

Memoirs at the End of the World might be a little too ambitious for what they can do, though. They were going for sort of a spy movie deal with these big huge '60s-style arrangements (I hear Henry Mancini, Michel Legrand, and Ennio Morricone. What a lot of stuff), but Tim's voice is too limited to really get the best result. Musically, I could listen to it all day, but her tiny little rangeless whisper doesn't quite suit the outsized music. Still, groovy stuff. Get this! Get all three!

Look at these awesome covers. I think all three are winners, though the ring wear might be a bit over the top. They're all so goddamn pleasant to look at, especially the last two. I thought the s/t was retro-cool when it came out and they outdid themselves.

Offline Dad Rock

• Alfie
The Postmarks!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 08:21:17 AM »
The Postmarks is a pretty nice album for my less masculine moments. That kind of pre cannon aesthetic is good in moderation.
met this fat girl (not a huge whale or anything but like 25-26 BMI) at a club in like,,, 2008....shes cool, not my type but giant hooters....we start drinkin gettin real faded, and she takes me out to her car to smoke some dro.....im high as fuck and point blank shes just like "hey man i am down to blow you........" im like whatever and we try but my dick wasnt workin cuz i was so faded and this fuckin weed she had was like....fuck i just couldnt get my head in the game..but im rico suave and i get her digits and she texts me her address the next day and says "come over to get ur cock sucked and blow a load in my perm"

so i roll up and her roommate answers the door, i ask if her roomies around and she says "oh....she DIED TEN YEARS AGO THIS VERY DAY...."