Author Topic: The "I just watched..." Thread (Movie/TV/DVD/Whatever!)  (Read 183016 times)

Description:

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
  • You don't know me and you don't have to know me
The "I just watched..." Thread (Movie/TV/DVD/Whatever!)
« on: April 05, 2009, 06:58:35 AM »
I'm sitting on two bombing threads right now (which puzzles me since the first one was a transfer of a very successful thread on TOTRTSM, but whatever), but let's go for three. This is quite the simple concept - you watch a movie (either for the first time, 100th time, whatever) and drop some thoughts.

For example, based on a recommendation I received from someone and the fact I enjoy her work, I watched the Tine Fey joint "Baby Mama" on television last night. I thought it was ok at best, but idea of Tina Fey and Maura Tierney being sisters gave me some long and hard thinking to go over.

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • All hail Gritty!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
The "I just watched..." Movie Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 07:39:02 AM »
I watched "I Love You, Man" on Friday. It was pretty good. It made me realize that I don't really have that many friends like the main character.
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Offline jerk of all trades

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 11:42:37 AM »
Midnight Meat Train. Actually a lot better than I thought it was going to be. Neat twist at the end. :)

Online Bernie Bro Kamala

• CXF Writer
  • Sometimes A Friend is Worth A Billion Dollars
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 11:47:54 AM »
Saw Swingers for the first time on Friday as part of the monthly "midnight" movie series a multiplex runs. Terrible turnout---I don't know if it was the crappy weather or the fact that Swingers doesn't really seem like a "midnight movie" but there were only twenty or so people there. Usually packed for these things. I enjoyed the movie a lot more than I thought I would. Vince Vaughn was absolutely tremendous. Probably his and Favreau's best work.

Watched Richard Pryor: Live on The Sunset Strip last night, also for the first time. Probably the greatest stand up film I've ever seen though the constant shots of the crowd laughing kind of irked me as they always do in these types of movies. I don't need to see shots of other people laughing to know that I should be laughing as well!

Offline 2GOLD

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 12:13:59 PM »

Watched "Repo: The Genetic Opera" and that movie is a trainwreck. It's the perfect film to rip apart MST3K style. Watching Paul Sirvino trying to sing is one of those car crash moments of epic greatness. Anthony Stewart Head ruled though, gave the movie a dignity...that the rest of the film did it's best to eliminate.

Lots of horrible singers, like really bad ones. Annoying characters. If it wasn't for Head, Vega (at times), and Brightman I don't think anyone could sing.

Offline Big Beard Booty Daddy

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 01:17:17 PM »
I saw ADVENTURELAND today. Not a very good movie. The trailer and commercials make it seem like a straight comedy about a teens misadventures during the summer while working at the theme park. That is nothing like what the movie ended up being. The acting wasn't bad, but the story was just, strange to say the least. The music was good, but I will not be adding this movie to my collection once it comes to DVD.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline Gary

• The Cabinet of Numinous Song
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 02:59:58 PM »
Saw Lamberto Bava's "Demons." It may be one of the best stupid as hell but really fun horror movies of the 80's.

"go ahead. keep screaming "Shut The Fuck Up " at me. it only makes my opinions Worse"

Offline treble

• Truculence
  • Admin
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 03:29:50 PM »
We had one of these way back when before it closed because it just devolved into people (well, I think it was mostly just one guy) posting movie posters.  Let's not let that happen here.

Offline The Real DXP

• daileyxplanet
    • TrevorTwitter
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 03:30:30 PM »
Watching The Brady Bunch Movie. It's not comic genius but I enjoy the fact that it is very tongue-in-cheek.

Offline strummer

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 03:42:17 PM »
"Larger Than Life"

This or "The Man Who Knew Too Little" has to be the lowpoint of Bill Murray's career

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 03:47:05 PM »
Watching The Brady Bunch Movie. It's not comic genius but I enjoy the fact that it is very tongue-in-cheek.

One of my favourite movies of 1995. I don't really have a list of what movies came out in 1995 that I liked or disliked, but I love that one. Gary Cole is gold.

"By tattling on your friends, you're just telling them that you're a tattletale. Now is that the tale you want to tell?"

Offline sfaJack

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 04:25:15 AM »
I saw ADVENTURELAND today. Not a very good movie. The trailer and commercials make it seem like a straight comedy about a teens misadventures during the summer while working at the theme park. That is nothing like what the movie ended up being.

This. 

I made the wife go to this on Friday because I also thought it was going to be a 'wacky misadventures' movie (well that and because I'm in charge of picking movies for a while after she went against my advice and chose Knowing a couple of weeks ago) and instead we got...Adventureland

It's sad when the best part of the movie was that we got free passes to another movie afterwards because of massive sound/projection problems throughout the movie. 

Offline luke-o

• Pack it in Frank you silly barstool!
  • www.thecollectorsroom.co.uk
    • The LADcast - A weekly podcast from Luke and Drew (L.A.D - Geddit?)
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 04:55:47 AM »
Watched Harold and Kumar Escape From Guantanmo Bay over the weeked. Not too terrible.

Also watched Teeth. Which was pure terrible.

I will eat all of your dicks if Daniel Bryan ACTUALLY cashes in his MITB at Wrestlemania
7 months and counting...

Offline Cool, Bad, & Handsome

• KOAB
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 05:24:26 AM »
2046, I totally forgot about this movie and I'm not going to let that happen again. Great film.

Offline Incandenza

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 05:48:49 AM »
I'm glad Adventureland was nothing like the trailer because it probably wouldn't have been very good if it was. I liked it.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 09:52:27 AM »
I've been "Netflixing" movies like crazy lately.  This weekend I watched Ran, Donnie Darko, and Annie Hall.  I really liked DD, Ran wasn't as good as I expected but it was still quality, and Annie Hall was kind of a trip because I haven't really watched, well, any Woody Allen, and it's kind of amazing to me to see the similarities between his style of comedy and Larry David's.  Pretty much exact, and that's not even taking into account the fact that they are both Jewish.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 10:06:43 AM »
I just watched Cleopatra for the first time.  It is a lot better than its reputation as one of the biggest bombs in history (which it really isn't, but people think it is).  My biggest issue is that the title character more or less takes a back seat in her own film, which is true to history but harms the movie, especially after the best character in the film (Rex Harrison's Julius Caesar) gets butchered at the half-way point.  It was certainly enjoyable though and makes me pine for a proper Caesar film (he gets wiped out early in the Shakespearean version too).

Offline samoarowe

• samoarowe
    • Da Wrestling Site
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 07:03:14 AM »
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly on Netflix.com. It was very moving, and had a great soundtrack, I recommend it.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2009, 07:43:49 AM »
I watched Rocky IV last night. I'm always enamoured with the 80s flavour the movie gives off and I really dig Vince DiCola's synthesized training music. "Heart's on Fire" is awesome too.

Offline EHME

• I'm trying to win coach. I ain't trying to disrespect nobody, but winning is the only thing I respect.
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 08:54:42 AM »
Just came back from Fast and Furious... Fun movie just like all of them.

Offline Adam

• The Franchise
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 09:02:41 AM »
I watched Rocky IV last night. I'm always enamoured with the 80s flavour the movie gives off and I really dig Vince DiCola's synthesized training music. "Heart's on Fire" is awesome too.

This times a million.

I recently watched 'The Italian Job' for the first time.

Man, pure, pure awesome.

Online Bernie Bro Kamala

• CXF Writer
  • Sometimes A Friend is Worth A Billion Dollars
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 12:52:31 PM »
Saw Adventureland myself and count me in the camp that really enjoyed it. Probably the best film I've seen all year...not really saying much since I've only seen like three but yeah two big thumbs up here.

Offline tominator89

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2009, 09:16:25 AM »
Went to see I Love You, Man yesterday. It wasn't bad, but I felt like it could have been better. Perhaps I was expecting more considering I'm a fan of Rudd and Segel.

Segel's Andre the Giant impression was great!

Offline Hawk 34

• Death Pool Winner
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2009, 10:59:29 AM »
I really enjoyed Adventureland as well.  The trailer was horribly misleading and I believe it probably caused a great deal of people to either chalk it up as another generic Superbad type movie and promptly dismissing it or expecting that and leaving the film disappointed (as we’ve seen in this thread).  This hasn’t done quite well at the box office but hopefully it’ll find success down the road. 

Offline grapeswasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2009, 01:27:30 PM »
Piss reccomended Grave Of The Fireflies. One of the most depressing movies I've ever seen.

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2009, 03:30:02 PM »
Piss reccomended Grave Of The Fireflies. One of the most depressing movies I've ever seen.
I just watched "Irreversible." Not exactly an fun viewing experience that one.

"go ahead. keep screaming "Shut The Fuck Up " at me. it only makes my opinions Worse"

Offline The Dames

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2009, 04:02:19 PM »
I just watched The Princess Bride for the first time today. 

I marked out for Andre...and  "Hello.  My name is Inigo Montoya.  You killed my father, prepare to die".

Dames
Former owner of TSM, EWR 4.0 reviewer, King of the Andals and Protector of the Realm.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2009, 03:52:46 PM »
I saw Spy Hard again.  I love that movie.  It's basically The Naked Gun if Frank Drebin was a CIA agent; it has that same kind of wackiness without relying too much on stupid jokes.

"Tell me, is my daughter safe?"
"Yes, the van they took her in has airbags."

"Director, is it safe?"
"Hold on, let me put on the cloaking device"
*Walks over and puts coat on his head*
"Ok, go ahead."

Offline Smues

• Admin
  • Smuesicide
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2009, 04:01:50 PM »
Oh man Grave of the Fireflys. Depressing shit, we had to watch it in high school Japanese class. I don't know how anyone could watch that for entertainment.
As for what I've watched, Dragonball and it was as bad as you guessed. Thankfully 12 ROunds is already out of theaters here so ill miss that one.
I want Jimmy Fallon to be dead. That doesn't make me a bad person.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2009, 06:29:27 PM »
Speed Racer was on TV Sunday night and I briefly watched it before taking a pre-work nap. What little of it I did see just seemed to justify what I thought about it from the ads last year - it looks visually appealing for a video game but was difficult as hell to watch as a coherent movie (and the eye piercing visuals were enhanced due to the fact I was watching it in HD). I also don't know what the hell was even happening in the plot of the film (it used more flashbacks than I do parentheses). Not for nothing, I expect I will record the next airing and attempt to watch the movie (though the fact this film somehow goes 2 hours and 15 minutes baffles me) because I have a curious interest in movies based of licenced properties.

Offline luke-o

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2009, 05:15:43 AM »
Went to see I Love You, Man yesterday. It wasn't bad, but I felt like it could have been better. Perhaps I was expecting more considering I'm a fan of Rudd and Segel.

Segel's Andre the Giant impression was great!

On the contary, I really enjoyed it. A hell of a lot actually. My only fear to come from it, is that that will probably be a lot of "bromance" films to capatalise on it's current popularity.

I will eat all of your dicks if Daniel Bryan ACTUALLY cashes in his MITB at Wrestlemania
7 months and counting...

Offline Detox

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2009, 05:46:48 AM »
I saw "In Bruges" last night, great movie.

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2009, 06:34:45 AM »
I saw "Crank 2" last night. It was pretty much everything I hoped for, and a little more.

Offline foleyfanforever88

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2009, 07:15:32 AM »
I'm planning on watching Se7en tonight. I'll edit this post with my thoughts afterwards.

Offline "Dot Com" Matt Postin (heel)

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2009, 04:40:57 AM »
I've been "Netflixing" movies like crazy lately.  This weekend I watched Ran, Donnie Darko, and Annie Hall.  I really liked DD, Ran wasn't as good as I expected but it was still quality, and Annie Hall was kind of a trip because I haven't really watched, well, any Woody Allen, and it's kind of amazing to me to see the similarities between his style of comedy and Larry David's.  Pretty much exact, and that's not even taking into account the fact that they are both Jewish.

You know Larry David is starring in the new Woody Allen movie, right?

Offline The Real DXP

• daileyxplanet
    • TrevorTwitter
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2009, 03:12:06 PM »
Mallrats. So far it's holding up to last time I saw it.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2009, 01:15:48 AM »
Mallrats. So far it's holding up to last time I saw it.

I enjoy MALLRATS, but I find it hard to watch now. Not that it's a horrible movie, but I had a friend that watched it every time I was over his house for over a year. It got to the point where I wouldn't want to hang out at his place because I didn't want to watch the movie anymore. Now he's at it with VEGAS VACATION.

Last night I watched REPO! THE GENETIC OPERA and right now I'm watching THE WRESTLER.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2009, 04:42:09 AM »
Apparently Autism: The Musical is not a parody of musicals and autism. Colour me disappointed.

What didn't disappoint me was when I finally got around to watching Ocean's 11 (2001) this morning. Ocean's 13 was the first in the series I saw and I commented to the person I was with that I really enjoyed watching a plan come together for a big heist. She suggested the first one was even better and yeah, it was pretty fun.

Offline Psycho Penguin

• Mitch Richmond > Michael Jordan
    • Twitter
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2009, 05:21:57 AM »
Last movie I saw is John Q, for the 3rd or so time. One of my all time favorites and one of the few movies that have the ability to make me shed a tear.

Offline DMann1979

• That's a Shame
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2009, 10:19:17 AM »
I watched Run Lola Run last night, what a purely enjoyable hyperkinetic flick.  I hear someone once describe it as truly a video game movie
Spoiler: show
due to Lola starting her run over when her/Manni's life expires
.  Kickass editing (I read the shots average out to 2.7 seconds per shot).  And a brisk 80 minutes so it doesn't overstay its welcome.

Offline luke-o

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2009, 11:23:53 PM »
I watched The Asylum's "Death Racers" starring Raven and Insane Clown Posse. It's worse than you think.

7 months and counting...

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2009, 04:11:36 AM »
Is that one of those cheap to DVD knock off deals ala "Transmorphers" and "Snakes on a Train"?

Going back to something I said earlier, I did finish watching Speed Racer, and really... not terrible. I would not recommend it to anyone or call it good, but I suppose the movie accomplished what it set out to do - have image intense exciting race scenes.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
    • RedJed's Rasslin' Rants - Only on YouTube! The latest in the wild and wacky world of pro wrestling!!
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2009, 04:40:52 AM »
Even though Speed Racer might not be terrible (but bordering on more thumbs down for me than thumbs up overall) what really got me was how damn long this film was and how it didn't need to be. I fell asleep both times trying to sit through this, the first time actually being in the IMAX which I thought would be impossible to do (since it's so damn loud in there) but it happened.

Anyway, saw State of Play over the weekend and highly recommend this for fans of your straight forward conspiracy theory type films. While it wasn't the best thing ever, it certainly had a good and believable story, and a bunch of twists and turns to keep it going.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2009, 04:59:08 AM »
Even though Speed Racer might not be terrible (but bordering on more thumbs down for me than thumbs up overall) what really got me was how damn long this film was and how it didn't need to be. I fell asleep both times trying to sit through this, the first time actually being in the IMAX which I thought would be impossible to do (since it's so damn loud in there) but it happened.

Anyway, saw State of Play over the weekend and highly recommend this for fans of your straight forward conspiracy theory type films. While it wasn't the best thing ever, it certainly had a good and believable story, and a bunch of twists and turns to keep it going.

Yeah, my original post noted that I was pretty turned off when I realized it was 2 hours, 15 minutes (give or take).

Offline luke-o

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2009, 10:01:55 PM »
Is that one of those cheap to DVD knock off deals ala "Transmorphers" and "Snakes on a Train"?

It was yeah. Raven's acting just sounded like him cutting promos, it was very bizzare.

7 months and counting...

Offline Cool, Bad, & Handsome

• KOAB
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2009, 10:24:58 PM »
I watched Obsessed yesterday... pretty freaking hilarious movie. Ali Larter drugging and raping a black guy and then getting a beatdown from Beyonce makes for quite the comedy.

Offline Jingus

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2009, 10:27:06 PM »
I watched The Asylum's "Death Racers" starring Raven and Insane Clown Posse. It's worse than you think.
That's a perfect description of this lousy movie.  Do you like the idea of the Clowns acting in a cheap Death Race ripoff (which is ironically closer to the plot of the original Deathrace 2000 than the official remake) with Raven playing a terrorist heel?  Does that sound like fun viewing?  Is so, STILL don't watch this movie, because even a deviant monkeyfucker like yourself will be sorely disappointed with this lazy piece of hack work.  

Online Springtime for Epic

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2009, 03:44:54 AM »
I watched Unbreakable again last night and don't understand the hate for it. I personally think it's M. Night's best work. Loved the storyline.

Offline Smues

• Admin
  • Smuesicide
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2009, 09:28:55 AM »
I love Unbreakable, fuck the haters.

Saw Earth last night. Complete waste of money. It's less a movie and more just random shots of animals with James Earl Jones talking. Bleh.
I want Jimmy Fallon to be dead. That doesn't make me a bad person.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2009, 10:07:53 AM »
I love Unbreakable, fuck the haters.

Saw Earth last night. Complete waste of money. It's less a movie and more just random shots of animals with James Earl Jones talking. Bleh.
  UNBREAKABLE is awesome. I have enjoyed all of M. Night's movies. They haven't all been good, but I like them. My favorite "voice over animal" movie is MILO AND OTIS.