Author Topic: TRTSM Shoots!  (Read 64227 times)

Description:

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2009, 01:35:16 PM »
http://garyisamoron.blogspot.com/2007/05/intro.html

Ok Gary is a certified nut

Plus he took down the Gagne part 4 place holder down

Offline timmy8271

TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2009, 02:22:37 PM »
I just love that he does this at work and gets paid for it. He's a First class loon it seems like. Oh and apparently he gave Bix his personal phone number.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2009, 02:53:12 PM »
Are the stories true that George took father Nicks platinum false teeth out of a cup and sold them on ebay in 1980 as one guest reports? ... Something is wrong with this picture, so George will explain all tomorrow in a 2 hour double broadway interview

Ebay in 1980...

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2009, 04:34:50 PM »
Gary reads from Wrestling Observer as Dave comments on alleged fabrications that he feels Greg made ... There is an edit as comments were made about Dave we prefer not to air ... Mr. Gagne has asked Dave Meltzer to join us for part 5 next week

Part 4 is up

Offline Love Harnesser Kamala

• CXF Writer
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2009, 05:54:31 PM »
I just love that he does this at work and gets paid for it. He's a First class loon it seems like. Oh and apparently he gave Bix his personal phone number.
I've e-mailed him 2-3 times, I could probably get his number. Anybody want to crank call him?

Offline timmy8271

TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2009, 07:15:24 PM »
Brody should call him as Randy Savage.

• CXF Writer
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2009, 07:15:37 AM »
Speaking of shitty second generation wrestlers (actually Greggers is mildly underrated but whatev), George Gulas is going to be on tomorrow. I bet Wrestling Classics and Kayfabe Memories will flip their shit over that interview.
Hey, this Gulas interview is pretty entertaining. Gulas overexcitedly trying to defend himself in his goofy Southern accent for not sucking while halfway admitting that he kind of sucked is somewhat amusing. Cubeta even sort of grills him.

Part 4 of the Gagne interview is decent but there's not any huge revelations in it or anything particularly controversial. Just a solid shoot interview.

Offline The Real DXP

• daileyxplanet
    • TrevorTwitter
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2009, 10:27:55 AM »
How much do you suppose a worker gets paid for a shoot that sells?

• CXF Writer
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2009, 10:43:00 AM »
I think they get paid a flat fee. Usually about what they'd get paid for doing an indy show so in the hundreds for the Erik Watts and Sgt. Craig Pittmans of the world and in the thousands for the Ric Flairs and Ultimate Warriors.

• CXF Writer
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2009, 08:58:57 AM »
See trying to do this grand standing is going to back fire for gary...
Quote from: Gary Cubeta
Retired players in other sports are NOT asked tough questions

There are a lot of people who believe Michael Jordan switching from basketball to baseball in the 1990's was related to some "Las Vegas" issues

No one ever asked him face to face about that

I've never heard someone interviewing a baseball player look him straight in the eye and ask if they were on the juice ...

etc ...

Yes, Gary, no journalist has ever asked a retired athlete a tough question...

• CXF Writer
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2009, 04:13:40 AM »
I think they get paid a flat fee. Usually about what they'd get paid for doing an indy show so in the hundreds for the Erik Watts and Sgt. Craig Pittmans of the world and in the thousands for the Ric Flairs and Ultimate Warriors.
Incidentally, an Erik Watts interview shit talking other shoot interviewers is up right now.

My theory is either A. Gary can't take constructive criticism at all and has lost it or B. He's just being a pitchman and trying to drum up controversy to get more listeners. It's probably a little from both but I'm starting to think it's more from B.  Unfortunately, there's no way that he's going to get Meltzer to take the bait and actually feud with him and even if he does, what would be the point?

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2009, 04:40:00 PM »
He re edited like 5 interview blurbs to bash the Smart mark boards.

So who the fuck is listening to these interviews if not the Smark audience?

His Johnny Powers interviews are BS laden I think.  His latest about buying out Vince jr should be great.

... keep posting at message boards about 57talk.com ... free adverting good or bad makes us MUCH more popular with the guests who do not like message board smart marks ... Enjoy !!!

• CXF Writer
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2009, 04:07:18 AM »
Cubeta should do a roundtable with Erik Watts, Greg Gagne, and Mike Graham and see which one of the four of them can BS the most.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2009, 04:47:43 AM »
Oye Just listened to the Erik Watts shoot on Shoots.  WTF?

There has to be more than meets the eye with all these rare guests willing to do this stuff for free.  Otherwise why wouldn't some of these guys have done shoots for $$ like the imfamous Geogre Gulas?

• CXF Writer
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2009, 09:44:45 AM »
My best guess is he's giving them free gold bullions and/or free gold investment tips. When we switch to the gold standard and George Gulas and Buck Robley are living it up, remember it was me who said this!

• CXF Writer
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2009, 05:04:10 PM »
Heh---Cubeta sounds like he's been drinking on the latest interview. He says he did at 9 P.M. on a Friday night so it makes sense. Him and some independent referee talk about ring rats.

There's also a Ken Patera shoot up. I got to imagine that's got some goofy stuff.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2009, 06:04:28 PM »
He lose his interview source Zordani or something?  He's scrapping the bottom all of a sudden.

Erik Watts' interview is infuriating, such an ego for such a nothing.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2009, 06:05:44 PM »
I ask again...If he's bashing "the sheets" and "marks" for reading them, who the FUCK is suppose to listen to this and isn't Gary then a "mark" since he's prying info out of guys?

• CXF Writer
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2009, 06:11:33 PM »
He lose his interview source Zordani or something?  He's scrapping the bottom all of a sudden.

Erik Watts' interview is infuriating, such an ego for such a nothing.
Yeah, James Zordani left for "family reasons" but even Cubeta halfway admitted that it was because he didn't like his grandstanding. Of course, Cubeta had a smarky message about it that he took down an hour later.

Yeah, the Watts interview is frustrating, especially since Gary feeds his ego and kisses ass. Kissing Greg Gagne's ass is one thing since Greg was actually a somewhat accomplished wrestler but Erik Watts got several chances WITHOUT Cowboy Bill's influence and he still sucked.

Part Five with the indy referee? Yeah, he really is scraping the bottom of the barrel. I was joking in one of the We Watch Shitty Wrestling chats that Jingus should call him to do an interview but it doesn't seem like much of a joke after Part Five with JR Jackson!

Offline CuckBright7831

• CBright
  • 2016/17 Poster of the Year
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2009, 06:22:47 PM »
The last two I saw were Bob Holly and Val Venis. Bob Holly's wasn't so good, because he doesn't really give straigh answers to a lot of questions, and also didnt seem to remember too much about his wrestling past. I will say that after listening to it however, I probably have some more respect for Holly than I did prior.

Val Venis' was really good, he's wrestled everywhere and had tons of stories to tell. My biggest complaint is with the RF interviewers who sometimes ask lame questikn, get facts wrong, or dont ask follow up questions.

I really wish Eric Bischoff and Paul Heyman would do complete shoot interviews. I dont think we'll ever get one from Bischoff, as I get the impression that he's said everything he has to say about the last 20 years, and doesn't care to re-hash it all again. I have no doubt though that we will one day see an epic Paul Heyman shoot, but not until he's finally ready to burn down every bridge he's ever built, which at this point means giving up any hope he may still have of one day returning to WWE is some capacity.

It'll never happen in this lifetime, but how awesome would a 10 hour uncensored Vince McMahon shoot be? Have Hogan or Savage ever recorded full interviews with anyone? They might be interesting to hear, but I think they may be too stuck in their own delusions to give honesst and comprehensible answers. The Ultimate Warrior shoot interview from a few years back is a good example of this. He only really remembers history the way he wants it to be, and starts getting indignant with the interviewer for constantly asking question about the past, as if that's not the point of the interview or anything.

Wade Keller just conducted a 6 hour interview with Bischoff, talking about the rise and fall of WCW.  He's posting it in installments on his site.
Whatever became of this? I'm interested in hearing the Bischoff shoot.

HEY, TRTSM:

Quote from: Cowboy Numbers
same with cwm
he's a stay at home dad with no education
what's he gonna teach his kids? how to be a loser?

• CXF Writer
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2009, 07:48:13 AM »
"Independent Ref JR Jackson reveals the truth about the cancer on the wrestling industry known as "smart mark syndrome" ... (www.vcw-wrestling.com) ... Meet JR Dec. 19 in Virginia Beach, VA ... (opinions JR Jackson)"

What would Cubeta think if he found out that JR Jackson was regular poster at Kayfabe Memories, a smart mark message board. Or that *gasp* probably 99.8% of his audience are smarks!

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2009, 08:12:03 AM »
Landell has to be BSing the Kaufman sores stories...Gary even calls him on it and Buddy changes the story a bit...

• CXF Writer
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2009, 08:17:44 AM »
That's one of the more entertaining shoot interviews on there. Buddy Landell is another guy who I can't imagine having a boring shoot interview.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2009, 01:44:39 AM »
Sent Gary a note:

Well the new Greg Gagne one is pretty frustrating...

Gary feel free to correct a guest when they call UFC "UWF" during the duration of an interview

Also you do yourself no favors by saying comments like "Bischoff is running the Austrialian tour before he goes with Hogan to TNA" I assure you the "dirt sheet" journalists wouldn't have made this error.

etc etc

But you got my download, so HUZZAH

Its amusing now that "James Zorandi" or whatever left, suddenly the guest list is down to "Indy ref JJ" and "Jobber who worked a TV taping in WWE recently" AWESOME~!

Offline Monsoon Classic

• Monsoon_Classic
    • My YouTube Channel with over 2,000 classic WWF & WCW videos
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2009, 02:24:46 AM »
Oh shit, that's what he meant by UWF.  I thought it was some Japanese promotion I never heard of or something.
Check out my YouTube page for over 2,000 classic WWF & WCW videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMonsoonClassic/videos

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2009, 02:30:20 AM »
That indy geek thing was SO dumb..."Who have you met?"  What was he wearing?"  "How was the food?"   

Gary is the best new heel in wrestling...I want to strangle him just listening to him ASK questions!

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2009, 02:26:15 PM »
We would like to do more "booking sheets" programs, but Zordani took a temper tantrum and quit to run his triple XXX rated mark board

Offline "Dot Com" Matt Postin (heel)

• Poster of the Year
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2009, 05:26:06 PM »
link to xxx rated mark board plz

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2009, 08:00:38 PM »
Am I the last person to know that James Zordani is actually the old school expert Message boarder "Clawmaster"?

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2009, 08:02:10 PM »
We would like to do more "booking sheets" programs, but Zordani took a temper tantrum and quit to run his triple XXX rated mark board

Apparently this is a referance to either kayfabememories, wrestling classics, or some other small time old school board

like this one http://sportsandwrestling.mywowbb.com/forum1/9522-2.html

• CXF Writer
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2009, 12:58:03 AM »
Triple XXX rated mark board? Those old school boards won't even let you swear, dag gummit!

Offline JHawk

• Jim Cornette Guy
  • CXF Writer
  • Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
    • Smart Mark Radio
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2009, 01:59:01 AM »
Am I the last person to know that James Zordani is actually the old school expert Message boarder "Clawmaster"?
No.  I'm sure some people have never heard of Clawmaster

• CXF Writer
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2009, 11:32:56 AM »
I finally opened up Gary Cubeta's grab bag of free shoots. He sent me

Tito Santana/Greg Valentine My Side of The Story
Inside The Office With Rene Goulet
Kevin Sullivan and The End of WCW
Magnum TA/Nikita Koloff My Side of The Story

Really interested to see the Tito/Greg one as an '80s WWF mark. Find it hard to get worked up over a Rene Goulet shoot. The Kevin Sullivan one sounds interesting in theory but he sounds incredibly bored/ready to fall asleep in every shoot of his I've listened to and I'm not much of an '80s JCP fan so Magnum/Nikita doesn't hold a huge amount of interest. Still the fact that he sent me free stuff makes Cubeta not entirely terrible in my book!

Offline Monsoon Classic

• Monsoon_Classic
    • My YouTube Channel with over 2,000 classic WWF & WCW videos
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2009, 10:51:50 PM »
I tried listening to Gary's interview w/ Antonio Thomas but had to stop 1/2 way through.  I thought Thomas was plenty interesting and engaging but Cubeta just would not shut up.  Brutal.  It's too bad he doesn't just say a couple words, suck the guest's dick, and let the guest just talk and talk and talk like the good ol days . . . of a few months ago.
Check out my YouTube page for over 2,000 classic WWF & WCW videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMonsoonClassic/videos

• CXF Writer
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2009, 04:23:20 AM »
It's become pretty clear that The Gar Bear is a few sandwiches short of a hamper.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2009, 06:10:12 PM »

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2009, 06:11:17 PM »

• CXF Writer
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2009, 09:55:32 AM »
Cubeta says Flair wants to an interview and they'll do an interview time permitting....WHAT!? WHAT!? I'm calling B.S. on this one. Cubeta grovels at the feet of any minor old school wrestler that's willing to do the show but isn't jumping through hoops for an interview with Flair?  Something seems incredibly fishy about it.

Offline "Dot Com" Matt Postin (heel)

• Poster of the Year
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2009, 11:41:57 AM »
Maybe he means David or Reid

• CXF Writer
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #89 on: December 11, 2009, 01:18:06 PM »
http://57gold.com/interviews.asp

He means Ric. Considering, he highly promoted interviews with Greg Gagne, George Gulas, and Erik Watts, I think he'd probably jump through hoops for David or Reid too.

• CXF Writer
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2009, 04:30:16 AM »
12-17-2009 ... FRESH !!! ... JR Jackson talks Dave Meltzer (part 6)

JR signs with Vince and WWE? ... Our most controversial program ever as JR Jackson all but blames the smart marks for the many deaths in the world of pro wrestling ... Shocking, hardcore and ugly ... ADULT content ... Ring Rats as well

Guys, I think we have to make some apologies :'( IT'S ALL OUR FAULTS!

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #91 on: December 20, 2009, 03:36:33 AM »
Apparently Gary blames Dave Meltzer in the latest interview for the young deaths in wrestling.  The reason?  The 5 * rating system.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #92 on: December 23, 2009, 06:35:37 AM »
Larry Zybysko on F4W this week:

"Kurt Angle became a fan of wrestling from watching me and Bruno feud in Pittsburgh in 1980"

Hasn't Angle admitted to not watching wrestling before 96?

"WWF was on the verge of bankrupcy in 1980"

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #93 on: December 23, 2009, 07:32:39 AM »
Not so much "shoots" but interesting notes from Bret Hart throughout various past interviews...

1:  "In a way, it was too bad that I didn't get Owen hired on, but he would've been miserable in WCW too. I remember they offered Owen less than what he was making, but Davey for some reason, they offered him quite a bit more. Eric Bischoff didn't think my brother Owen was good enough, which shows you how much Eric Bischoff knows about wrestling. He picked up Davey Boy and Jim Neidhart like that, but passed on Owen."

2:  "There were a lot of funny ironies that came out during that brother versus brother shoot that we had, because we talked about how I used to save him at school, well, I did save him at school lots of times. We had these moments in our interviews where the things we said to each other were kind of true."

3:  "According to my contract back then, I had to wrestle 280 days a year for Vince McMahon. By the time I wrestled Shawn at Survivor Series that year where they screwed me out of the title, I had already worked something like 310 shows. I didn't even need to be there. I could've just told Vince that I already did my dates according to my contract. I could've told him to just take his belt and shove it and walk out. But I was a professional and I was giving him everything I could. I really didn't even have a problem losing the belt, but Shawn didn't have any respect for me and I didn't have any respect for him."

4:  "The real problem is pain killers and prescription pills. I think they're actually testing for steroids properly, but I can think of about ten wrestlers who died specifically from taking Somas. Davey Boy, Curt Hennig, Crush. These were all people who underestimated the amount of pills they were taking. I never took Somas, but it's a muscle relaxer, and these guys are in so much pain, real pain, with their necks and backs and serious injuries. But when they took Somas after they worked that night, it was like heaven. Everything goes away, everything is relaxed. So instead of taking one Soma, they take about five, flush it down with some beer and they feel like a million bucks the next morning."

5:  "Luckily, being the son of a wrestler, I got to grow up watching Dory Funk and Harley Race and a lot of the guys that really paved the way for guys like me. Even Nick Bockwinkle who was the AWA champion, he was an exceptional wrestler." 

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #94 on: December 23, 2009, 12:51:02 PM »
Larry Zybysko:  "Hulk Hogan looked up to me in 1980 and came to me for advice, I told him to leave the WWF and he ended up in the AWA and the rest is history..."

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #95 on: December 23, 2009, 12:55:34 PM »
According to my contract back then, I had to wrestle 280 days a year for Vince McMahon. By the time I wrestled Shawn at Survivor Series that year where they screwed me out of the title, I had already worked something like 310 shows. I didn't even need to be there. I could've just told Vince that I already did my dates according to my contract. I could've told him to just take his belt and shove it and walk out. But I was a professional and I was giving him everything I could. I really didn't even have a problem losing the belt, but Shawn didn't have any respect for me and I didn't have any respect for him."

Given he was out for 6 weeks or so with a bum knee, I'd love to see Bret's number proven.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #96 on: December 24, 2009, 06:08:54 AM »
Some more interesting comments from wrestlers in interviews... interesting to see Owen's point about the Mexican wrestlers and kinda highlights the difference between the way smart marks see wrestling and wrestlers see wrestling.

Chris Jericho
- "For my whole career, I've been a heel. Up until I got to WCW. Because of the way I look, and the way WCW thinks, that if you're sort of a long-haired, so-called not good-looking but not ugly, then you have to be a babyface. I've been a heel anyways, so I'm looking forward to becoming a heel. Because my work is a strong-style heelish style anyway."

- "Macho Man is always cool. Hulk's always nice. Sting is cool ... Ric's actually quite cool too. Arn Anderson. They each have a little bit of advice. That's the only thing that I can ask from someone who been around for a long time and who's like a huge star and been on top for a long time. That's to give advice so you can get better. Especially in WCW, a guy like me doesn't get to wrestle Ric Flair often, so to have him watch a match and give pointers is the next best thing. That's the only thing I can ever really expect from those guys is advice from them. I really appreciate it. That's the only way to get better."

- "But watching it? I just wasn’t interested. I had to take a step back and chill. I watched John Cena and Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania 23 and that was good. But what they did in the hour-long match on Raw [ April 23, 2007 ], that’s when I started thinking, “Holy smokes, I love wrestling!” I e-mailed Vince and J.R. to tell them that that was a match, and that was why I watch wrestling."

Owen Hart
- "You know, I watch these Mexicans, they work on our show and on the other network's show, and they do a lot of high-flying, entertaining things, but it looks so choreographed. It doesn't have a lot of impact to it when I watch it. I find it easy to change channels when I watch those guys, because it looks so routine. I doesn't look believable to me. And that's part of doing it. If you can do the acrobatic stuff, throw in a back flip or something that looks good but it's got to be at the right time, you know. I see these guys, they throw a guy into the ropes and they do a back flip and then clothesline the guy and it looks stupid. Why don't you just clothesline the guy? A back flip or a cartwheel or whatever, should be done out of a defensive maneuver. Someone throws you in the corner, and you jump up and flip and you counter something. If you're going to throw a guy in and clothesline him anyway, what do you need to do a fancy cartwheel for before you hit him? It just looks stupid."

- "He [Vince McMahon] thought, Owen Hart, he's got a lot of ability, a lot of acrobatic manoeuvers, young. And they thought they could market me as a Mighty Mouse, Superman kind of character that was young and fighting evil, justice prevailing, but was doing all this high-flying, acrobatic stuff that was entertaining. So they came up with the idea. It was not a big priority to them. Well, whatever, get a costume put together. They said they wanted a lot of feathers, glitter, colourful colours. So I had a lady here in Calgary make it. She just kind of put together what I had in mind. Then I took it to Vince McMahon, and said this is what they made me. He said alright, we're going to call you the Blue Blazer."

Stu Hart
- "He [Abdullah the Butcher] and Archie 'The Stomper' [Gouldie] had some great matches. They were both jealous of each other too. Archie didn't have anything good to say about Abdullah and Abdullah, he'd make out that he couldn't remember Archie's name. He'd say 'What's his name? Thing, thing. You know what I mean.' Archie'd calmly refer to Abdullah as 'the black bastard' or something like that. They weren't really in love with each other and yet every time they came together, the people were turned away."

• CXF Writer
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #97 on: December 24, 2009, 06:11:59 AM »
Larry Zybysko:  "Hulk Hogan looked up to me in 1980 and came to me for advice, I told him to leave the WWF and he ended up in the AWA and the rest is history..."
Geez, it seems like every AWA guy claims to be the catalyst for Hulkamania. I'm sure if you asked Kenny Jay or Buck Zumoff, they'd credit themselves for the success of The Hulkster.

The working light/working stiff thing has always been kind of confusing to me. That's what was one of the minor annoyances I had with Bret Hart's book. He criticizes Dean Malenko (this one was weird---seemed like it was out of spite or jealousy or something) and Honky Tonk Man for working too light and then he goes on a bunch of "IT'S SUPPOSED TO LOOK REAL, NOT BE REAL!" tangents. Can't blame him for that but he really contradicts himself. Then again, looking for contradictions in a wrestlers' autobiography is like looking for plot holes in a Michael Bay movie. They're there in great quantity and if you ignore them, then you may be able to enjoy the ride.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #98 on: December 24, 2009, 07:45:10 AM »
I've heard Chris Jericho mention guys that worked snug (i.e. safe) but to the fans they looked like they were legit beating the crap out of their opponents.  I've also seen many rail against guys like the Steiners for being stiff workers with little regard for the safety of their opponents.  Lance Storm was notorious for looking soft to the fans, which is a really bad trait to have when you're trying to get fans to believe the match itself.

I think it's a balance.  For the wrestlers, they want a guy who can work snug but look vicious.  The fans want essentially the same thing but just can't tell because obviously they aren't in the ring being hit.  The wrestlers basically have to trust each other while selling the match and not having read the book yet, it sounds like Bret's complaint is that some guys worked really light thus taking out the believability factor while other guys worked too stiff and took out the safety part.

Also if you really watch Dean Malenko's matches, he does have pretty bad strikes.  As good as he is as a mat technician, "brawling" (i.e. punches and kicks) were definitely not his strong point.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
TRTSM Shoots!
« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2010, 01:04:50 PM »
Guest Booker: Raven is pretty dreadful as Raven is brain dead from drugs about the era he is suppose to be booking, and he makes the guys shut the cameras off several times to brain storm, and complains frequently about being hungry and needing water.