Author Topic: UFC 106: Ortiz vs. Griffin II; November 21  (Read 11502 times)

Description:

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
UFC 106: Ortiz vs. Griffin II; November 21
« Reply #200 on: November 22, 2009, 09:19:10 AM »
I went with 29-28 Forrest, after rewatching it today. Obviously, I gave him round 1 and 3. Round 1 was close, but Round 3 could easily have been a 10-8 score. Tito didn't do anything except 2 failed shot attempts. It's almost like he figured he won the first two rounds, that he didn't need to do anything but survive.

DTF

Offline Cool, Bad, & Handsome

• KOAB
« Reply #201 on: November 22, 2009, 09:37:51 AM »
Here's why Kos was selling his eye during the illegal knee shot

I figured as much. Of course, Johnson apologists won't let any number of actual fouls change the narrative from "Koscheck is a fucking cheater."

I like Rumble but his new found fans are starting to make me hate the guy.

"Kos taseted the true power of a buckstud and was afraid to stand with him. Rumble will be back and will be the champion during spring of 2011."

"Rumbled showed true heart after Kos decided he was Ric Flair with all the eye pokes. Kos cheated straight up... and Rumble was robbed."

But if you bring up the illegal knee he was just "caught up in the moment".

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #202 on: November 22, 2009, 10:00:50 AM »
Wasn't Caol Uno meant to be fighting on this?

He had a dull 3 rd majiority draw

Was that a prelim that didn't get shown then? Due to the time difference I recorded the prelims and the card last night and then fast-forwarded through everything that wasn't actual fighting this morning, but I'm pretty sure I would have noticed 15 minutes of draw in there...
Yeah not shown

Offline BPSS

• BurningPirateShipSex
« Reply #203 on: November 22, 2009, 10:14:31 AM »
"Kos taseted the true power of a buckstud.

Years from now, some academic is going to rise to fame after undertaking a study of homoeroticism in the MMA community.

• KOAB
« Reply #204 on: November 22, 2009, 10:42:13 AM »

Years from now, some academic is going to rise to fame after undertaking a study of homoeroticism in the MMA community.

There's nothing more disturbing than a white person on a black fighters nuts that much, because I will guarandamntee no one else will use "buckstud" to describe a "BLACK ATHLETE".

Offline BPSS

• BurningPirateShipSex
« Reply #205 on: November 22, 2009, 11:05:08 AM »

There's nothing more disturbing than a white person on a black fighters nuts that much, because I will guarandamntee no one else will use "buckstud" to describe a "BLACK ATHLETE".

Yes, there's also the undercurrent of racism.

Offline Rock Star From Mars

• (atticus Chaos)
  • (atticus Chaos) drag racing with Vince
« Reply #206 on: November 22, 2009, 11:13:06 AM »
I don't think the 30-27 was as bad as people are making out. Mildly controversial, maybe. But not "OMG! That judge was blind and doesn't know what he's doing!" I can see watching that match how someone could reasonably scored it like that.

With the exception of the sweep, as 909 said, round 2 was Tito's round.

I had it as his round too. But, looking at it again, despite the takedowns, he wasn't able to do much damage at all.  Lack of taking advantage and the sweep may have been enough to give it to Griffin. Possibly not the best decision, but not a travesty either.

Also, I think Meltzer mentioned something about how the crowd going crazy for everything Forrest did (especially the sweep), maybe gave off the impression that he was more impressive in that round that he actually was.  

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #207 on: November 22, 2009, 11:20:02 AM »
Round 2 is when Tito cut Forrest with that elbow, wasn't it?

DTF

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• If I told you cocaine numbers you would think I was lyin'
  • WWWYKI
« Reply #208 on: November 22, 2009, 11:24:01 AM »
Round 2 is when Tito cut Forrest with that elbow, wasn't it?

Yeah.

Offline The Art of Rasslin'

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #209 on: November 22, 2009, 04:56:58 PM »
Tito really should retire. He looked so slooooow. I thought he lost the fight personally, and he can't really walk around acting like he won when there was hardly any dominant showing at all throughout the fight. I know Anderson is Anderson, but it shows how poor Tito's striking is when I see Forrest get completely outclassed than outclass someone else.

It's funny how Breen wrote a long article about guys getting fights before they were ready, and how Saunders was given Swick too early because of the Wolf fight. Well, Davis gave Swick a war and I would consider them to be on the same level, and Saunders just blasted right through him. That was definite KO of the night in my opinion.

Rogerio looked really solid, and I would like to see him fight Forrest.

Johnson's not as technical as I thought, he is just big and has tremendous hand speed. Koscheck was using good head movement to move out and tag him right back, despite the huge difference in reach. Also, Johnson seems like the guy who always dominates at his gym, David Terrell style, which is why he was so out of place when on his back.

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

Offline Lei Tong

• ...un pocho pendejo, at that!
« Reply #210 on: November 22, 2009, 06:49:41 PM »
It's funny how Breen wrote a long article about guys getting fights before they were ready, and how Saunders was given Swick too early because of the Wolf fight. Well, Davis gave Swick a war and I would consider them to be on the same level, and Saunders just blasted right through him. That was definite KO of the night in my opinion.

I don't think Saunders is as good as the fight would indicate, simply because Davis pretty much walked right into the clinch, the one place Saunders is most dangerous. His takedown defense looked moderately improved, but that was about it, so I don't really think this fight is much more indicative of his place in the division than the Wolff fight. I think Swick would blast on him again, and so would a number of other guys who are either going to be able to take him down or fight well from range.

• KOAB
« Reply #211 on: November 22, 2009, 07:22:57 PM »

Koscheck's reaction when Tito gets going is fucking hilarious

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #212 on: November 23, 2009, 06:27:20 AM »

Griffin earned $100,000 to show and $150,000 as an addition win bonus. Ortiz earned a flat rate of $250,000 and wasn't eligible for a win bonus even if he had won.

The total disclosed payroll for the event was $1,021,000.

Other top earners included main-card fighters Josh Koscheck ($106,000) and UFC newcomer Antonio Rogerio Nogueira ($100,000) and preliminary-card fighter Kendall Grove ($44,000).

The full lit of payouts includes:

Forrest Griffin: $250,000 (includes $150,000 win bonus)
def. Tito Ortiz: $250,000

Josh Koscheck: $106,000 ($53,000 win bonus)
def. Anthony Johnson: $17,000

Paulo Thiago: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus)
def. Jacob Volkmann: $6,000

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira: $100,000 ($30,000 win bonus)
def. Luiz Cane: $19,000

Amir Sadollah: $30,000 ($15,000 win bonus)
def. Phil Baroni: $25,000

Ben Saunders: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus)
def. Marcus Davis: $27,000

Kendall Grove: $44,000 ($22,000 win bonus)
def. Jake Rosholt: $15,000

Brian Foster: $12,000 ($6,000 win bonus)
def. Brock Larson: $26,000

Caol Uno: $20,000
vs. Fabricio Camoes: $10,000
(Both fighters earned show money; bout declared majority draw)

George Sotiropoulos: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus)
def. Jason Dent: $8,000

Kos pocketed an extra $140k for submission and fight of the night ($70k for Johnson for fight), and little Nog got $70k for KO

Offline Tawren

« Reply #213 on: November 23, 2009, 06:48:55 AM »
They really should start paying people more. $17 000 for Johnson is ridiculous, as is $6000 for Volkmann.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #214 on: November 23, 2009, 07:12:20 AM »

I don't think Saunders is as good as the fight would indicate, simply because Davis pretty much walked right into the clinch, the one place Saunders is most dangerous. His takedown defense looked moderately improved, but that was about it, so I don't really think this fight is much more indicative of his place in the division than the Wolff fight. I think Swick would blast on him again, and so would a number of other guys who are either going to be able to take him down or fight well from range.

The point was not that he would beat Swick, it was that the idea that he's not ready to fight big names based on his lack of experience is obviously not true. Right after the Swick fight, where the hypothesis of the article was essentially stating the reason he lost was due to being given too much too soon, he took a fight with a guy who took Swick to the limit and (in some people's eyes) beat the number one contender for GSP's belt. He ran through him. Unless something magical happened in between the two fights, I'd say the reason he gave for him sucking against Swick was false.

Nice clinch though. 17-1 as a pro boxer, and working with Delagrotte for years I guess is not enough to combat that.

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

Offline Lei Tong

« Reply #215 on: November 23, 2009, 07:28:57 AM »
Well he still hasn't fought anyone that's going to make him grow as a fighter. Yeah, it's nice that he KO'ed Davis and all, but what does it help his development if Davis fought completely within Saunders' comfort zone? It's similar to what happened with Johnson: because so many of his wins have come so quickly and easily, he's never had a chance to really work on and expand his game; thus, when he steps up with a guy whose face he didn't melt within the first half of the fight and could force him from his comfort zone, he looks like a deer in the headlights.

So just because Saunders looked good against Davis, who in turn was competitive against the likes of Hardy & Swick, doesn't mean that he's on the level of those guys. Don't you think Saunders would still be better off facing guys like Burns, Lytle, Grant, and Hazelett before jumping back into the deep end of the pool?

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #216 on: November 23, 2009, 07:33:07 AM »
Why has nobody figured out that the reason Ben Saunders clinch worked so well against Davis is because Saunders is a lanky 6'2" and Davis is 5'8"?

DTF

Offline Lei Tong

« Reply #217 on: November 23, 2009, 07:35:41 AM »
Well, that's part of it. The most important point, IMO, is that he's not going to be served with the same set of circumstances if he takes on Top 10 welters.

Offline Lei Tong

« Reply #218 on: November 23, 2009, 07:45:38 AM »
God, fucking Rossen... somehow, Forrest throwing combos on an obviously past-it Tito somehow alters the past to the point that he won the first fight, as well. I can agree sympathize with having no interest in a rubber match, but why try and rewrite history to further your point?

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #219 on: November 23, 2009, 10:55:59 AM »
I've seen this argument on other forums and I was wondering what you guys thought.

Was Rumble's knee on Kos illegal?  I think yes.  It seems most other people say yes but some people are arguing that becasue Kos blocked it and it hit his arm it wasn't illegal.
Matt, don't be a fag. Post some huge cocks.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #220 on: November 23, 2009, 11:01:29 AM »
I know the height is obviously a factor in the clinch working so well, but I think he's not necessarily out of his element with those guys. I agree though that he should fight the Lytle's and Burns' before moving on to Hardy, Koscheck, or AJ.

I would also throw Hazelett in with the upper tier of the WW division at this point. He's long past gatekeeper status. The fact that lots of people were picking him over Karo (who I think is underrated right now due to the NC/loss against Kim) speaks volumes about his ability. I feel bad for Karo, because he can still be a factor if he gets rid of all these anxiety issues.

Tito needs to retire. It's hard for me to admit that, but it's true. He won't, because of all the money he'll get, but is it just me or were there a lot of empty seats in the arena that night? Maybe he's not as big a draw as he used to be.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #221 on: November 23, 2009, 11:13:13 AM »

• (atticus Chaos)
« Reply #222 on: November 23, 2009, 11:29:54 AM »
Tito needs to return to where his true talent lies: interviewing.

Offline Lei Tong

« Reply #223 on: November 23, 2009, 11:31:56 AM »
How did I forget the hilarity of Koscheck lifting Johnson up for a bodylock slam, only for his body to give out because Johnson is so massive?

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #224 on: November 23, 2009, 11:41:56 AM »
PUCKERED LIPS

Never saw that video before... I love it.
Show loose women what I'm workin' with.

• (atticus Chaos)
« Reply #225 on: November 23, 2009, 11:59:44 AM »
Anyway, Tito can't retire: as he said at the press conference, he has to feed his children.

We're supposed to forget that their mother is, in fact, a multi-millionairess .

Offline Tawren

« Reply #226 on: November 23, 2009, 01:07:11 PM »
Anyone have a GIF of Forrest knocking out Tito's mouthpiece with the front kick? That was awesome.

Offline Gert

« Reply #227 on: November 23, 2009, 04:18:39 PM »
So where does this put Forrest? Little Nog or the winner of Evans-Silva?

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #228 on: November 23, 2009, 04:55:31 PM »
Lil Nog was ranked 8th before this I believe.... I'd be fine with Nog vs Forrest

• (atticus Chaos)
« Reply #229 on: November 25, 2009, 11:56:11 PM »
I have to be thankful for a beautiful family and the ability to fight in UFC106. Fractured eye brow and all! I did it. God has blessed me.
http://twitter.com/Titoortiz

Tito is just taking the piss now.

Offline MikeofEvil

• Beware of my mongooses!
    • Mike Brooks, Sci-Fi Author
« Reply #230 on: November 26, 2009, 07:21:41 AM »
Maybe he's actively trying to piss people off so someone will step up and call him on his bullshit, leading to a match that Dana feels might have some heat behind it and which will then net Tito another payday? What with being old(ish), slow and completely gassed after two rounds, controversy and antagonism might be a more reliable fight ticket than fights based on his athletic skill.

I'm an angel. I kill firstborns while their mamas watch. I turn cities into salt. I even, when I feel like it, rip the souls from little girls, and from now till kingdom come, the only thing you can count on in your existence is never understanding why.