Author Topic: $4 a week for food for a family of 6  (Read 857 times)

Description:

Offline Box

$4 a week for food for a family of 6
« on: November 23, 2009, 05:11:21 AM »
You think YOU can do this?

Looking at that food bill just drop, drop, and drop, I don't know if I could pull that off. In fact, I can't, because in Canada, we can't use coupons like you guys in the States can.

Anyone had success somewhere near the levels of his woman?

Offline alkeiper

• Welcoming our new insect overlords
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 05:36:14 AM »
Yeah.  Work in a restaurant, skim food off the top.

Offline Vitamin X

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 07:09:44 AM »
That's cheapness to an extreme level I can't drop to.

I'll second al, though. I worked in a pizza place and took home a pizza whenever I could since one decent sized pizza could feed me lunch/dinner for a couple days.

Also when I first moved to Portland I had a really insane situation pop up where I had to spend a bunch of money I didn't expect to right away on having a place to stay, so I ate stir fries CONSTANTLY. Rice and veggies, rice and veggies.. pretty cheap, though!

Offline Harley Quinn

• Laugh this off... puddin'!
  • Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 07:20:10 AM »
I definitely wouldn't be able to have the patience to cut out/drag around that many coupons but I do look for/jump on sales where possible.  Often times it won't amount to very much but the savings add up by the end of the year (i.e. I saved $11 buying a get 1/buy 1 free set of hearing aid batteries that'll last me about 2 and 1/2 months total).

When I was grocery shopping in NH, I often would pay $60-$70 but save $20-25 (Usually on B1/G1F or those 2 for $5.00 type deals).

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 08:56:19 AM »
That's cheapness to an extreme level I can't drop to.

I'll second al, though. I worked in a pizza place and took home a pizza whenever I could since one decent sized pizza could feed me lunch/dinner for a couple days.

Also when I first moved to Portland I had a really insane situation pop up where I had to spend a bunch of money I didn't expect to right away on having a place to stay, so I ate stir fries CONSTANTLY. Rice and veggies, rice and veggies.. pretty cheap, though!

Working in a pizza place is where it's at.  Eventually, we'd get sick of pizza and would trade with Bojangles, KFC, Sonic and other places.  My job definitely fed me countless nights in college.