Author Topic: Fuck it, here's a Lady Gaga thread  (Read 18414 times)

Description:

Offline Beer Baron

• I have a new hat.

Offline luke-o

• Pack it in Frank you silly barstool!
  • www.thecollectorsroom.co.uk
    • The LADcast - A weekly podcast from Luke and Drew (L.A.D - Geddit?)
Fuck it, here's a Lady Gaga thread
« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2010, 03:44:45 AM »
I watched that live. It was awesome.

I will eat all of your dicks if Daniel Bryan ACTUALLY cashes in his MITB at Wrestlemania
7 months and counting...

Offline mellow

• NXT Pro
    • Hell no.
« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2010, 03:29:27 AM »

Offline FroGG_NeaLL

• Spectacular Shirtless Rapping
  • CXF Writer
  • WIT DA GREATEST OF EASE
« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2010, 04:44:34 AM »
cig glasses FTW

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2010, 12:24:07 PM »

awesome
Show loose women what I'm workin' with.

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2010, 07:04:31 PM »
Haha.  I love me some chatroulette.
Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com

Offline Beer Baron

• I have a new hat.
« Reply #106 on: April 01, 2010, 04:28:29 AM »
Beyonce ruins the whole flow of the song.

Offline BPSS

• BurningPirateShipSex
« Reply #107 on: April 01, 2010, 11:18:25 AM »
Beyonce ruins the whole flow of the song.

You like Nickelback.

Offline Former Faithless Fool

• KOAB
« Reply #108 on: April 01, 2010, 10:32:24 PM »

Offline Beer Baron

• I have a new hat.
« Reply #109 on: April 02, 2010, 04:14:01 AM »

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #110 on: April 07, 2010, 07:44:51 AM »
M.I.A also had some choice words for Lady Gaga in the interview: "People say we're similar, that we both mix all these things in the pot and spit them out differently, but she spits it out exactly the same. None of her music's reflective of how weird she wants to be or thinks she is. She models herself on Grace Jones and Madonna, but the music sounds like 20-year-old Ibiza disco, you know? She's not progressive, but she's a good mimic. She sounds more like me than I fucking do!"

From an NME interview via Pitchfork

M.I.A >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gaga obv

Grace Jones >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gaga

Madonna >>>>> Gaga

Offline luke-o

« Reply #111 on: April 08, 2010, 03:09:07 AM »
Get out of this thread.

I will eat all of your dicks if Daniel Bryan ACTUALLY cashes in his MITB at Wrestlemania
7 months and counting...

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #112 on: April 08, 2010, 06:16:50 AM »
Heh

I like Bad Romance a lot, I think Lady Gaga overall is some good pop music, but MIA is right about her, and she can't carry her, Grace Jones or Madonna's jock

Online Two-Time Hall of Famer

• Kreese
« Reply #113 on: April 08, 2010, 06:44:14 AM »
Heh

NO

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• If I told you cocaine numbers you would think I was lyin'
  • WWWYKI
« Reply #114 on: April 08, 2010, 07:07:32 AM »
Heh

I like Bad Romance a lot, I think Lady Gaga overall is some good pop music, but MIA is right about her, and she can't carry her, Grace Jones or Madonna's jock

Lady Gaga is waaaaaay better than MIA.   I liked Paper Planes but that's it. 

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #115 on: April 08, 2010, 07:23:30 AM »
Heh

Lady Gaga is waaaaaay better than MIA.   I liked Paper Planes but that's it. 

Offline Vitamin X

« Reply #116 on: April 08, 2010, 02:01:53 PM »
Byron said it right when he compared M.I.A. to the musical equivalent of a Che Guevara t-shirt. She's not bad, but she's nowhere near the pop phenomenom Gaga is, and for very good reason. I bet Madonna looks at Gaga and says, "Shit I wish I could be young again." I don't even know who the fuck Grace Jones is.

The whole thing with Gaga isn't that she's trying to be weird or anything, it's that she sees herself as performance art whereas M.I.A. makes a bunch of hackneyed freshman level polisci "statements" through her music. She's a hip hop version of Rage Against The Machine. Gaga transcends pop and is able to project her image into any sort of media she wants, including pretty much singlehandedly bringing back the incredibly stale music video medium. Don't get me wrong- I don't mind M.I.A., it's just really strange to even compare the two in the first place.

Offline Teenage Mutant King Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #117 on: April 08, 2010, 02:06:13 PM »

This is Grace Jones and she'd probably kick your ass for not knowing her, VX.

Offline Vitamin X

« Reply #118 on: April 08, 2010, 02:08:28 PM »
GET THAT SHIT OUTTAHERE

• CXF Writer
« Reply #119 on: April 08, 2010, 02:09:20 PM »
Don't mess with her, VX. She's a member of the nWo.

Spoiler: show

Now I'll get out of here for making an obscure wrestling reference

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #120 on: April 08, 2010, 03:44:03 PM »
Byron said it right when he compared M.I.A. to the musical equivalent of a Che Guevara t-shirt. She's not bad, but she's nowhere near the pop phenomenom Gaga is, and for very good reason. I bet Madonna looks at Gaga and says, "Shit I wish I could be young again." I don't even know who the fuck Grace Jones is.

The whole thing with Gaga isn't that she's trying to be weird or anything, it's that she sees herself as performance art whereas M.I.A. makes a bunch of hackneyed freshman level polisci "statements" through her music. She's a hip hop version of Rage Against The Machine. Gaga transcends pop and is able to project her image into any sort of media she wants, including pretty much singlehandedly bringing back the incredibly stale music video medium. Don't get me wrong- I don't mind M.I.A., it's just really strange to even compare the two in the first place.

It's pretty funny to talk about MIA being a "Che Guevera t-shirt" and "hackneyed freshman poli-sci" and then hold up Lady Gaga as "performance art" that "transcends pop"....as if her shit isn't totally cliched. 

Gaga is the one who a couple years ago was a normal girl playing piano and eating a salad on some stupid MTV show.  I'm sure her weirdness comes from a real place, but come on, MIA is an ex-pat of the Sri Lankan civil war, you can't call her music ungenuine in the same breath you say "Gaga sees herself as performance art"

....and you admitted to not even knowing who Grace Jones is, so I don't think you're really qualified to be having this discussion, no offense

I will say you're right about Gaga breathing some life back into the music video, that's a good call

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• WWWYKI
« Reply #121 on: April 08, 2010, 03:54:01 PM »

It's pretty funny to talk about MIA being a "Che Guevera t-shirt" and "hackneyed freshman poli-sci" and then hold up Lady Gaga as "performance art" that "transcends pop"....as if her shit isn't totally cliched. 

Gaga is the one who a couple years ago was a normal girl playing piano and eating a salad on some stupid MTV show.  I'm sure her weirdness comes from a real place, but come on, MIA is an ex-pat of the Sri Lankan civil war, you can't call her music ungenuine in the same breath you say "Gaga sees herself as performance art"

....and you admitted to not even knowing who Grace Jones is, so I don't think you're really qualified to be having this discussion, no offense

I will say you're right about Gaga breathing some life back into the music video, that's a good call

Wasn't this proven to be bullshit?

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #122 on: April 08, 2010, 04:11:05 PM »
no

Offline Gary

• Where No Life Dwells
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #123 on: April 08, 2010, 04:46:39 PM »
Don't mess with her, VX. She's a member of the nWo.

Out Here Ginding

• CXF Writer
« Reply #124 on: April 08, 2010, 04:49:07 PM »
I meant Grace Jones and I meant the real nWo, you dunderhead!

Spoiler: show

Unrelated video containing Robert Vaughn.

Offline FroGG_NeaLL

• CXF Writer
« Reply #125 on: April 08, 2010, 05:05:41 PM »
Roy's right, though. Gaga was some young, dumb bitch willing to do anything to be famous. She was just lucky enough to be the kind of crazy that the exects were looking for. Lady Gaga is a more of a creation of her owners bosses as she is of her own self. She really does sell the gimmick though. Wearing insane shit everywhere, all the time, no matter what. She immerses her self into the Gaga character, and lives the gimmick so relentlessly, I'd speculate that Bill Watts is her absentee father.

MIA got overrated really fast because of Paper Planes and it hurt her in the US somewhat, but shes still huge all over the world. The thing is, it was an accidental hit. Nobody gave a fuck about MIA in this part of the world until Kanye heard her while he was on an Ecstasy and Hennessey fueled tour of Europe, and sampled her for TI's song. She really is straight out the warzone. The type of ghetto she grew up in makes American and British ghettos look like the suburbs. That bitch is about as "real" as you can get. Read some of her interviews, she knows music. and she knows politics, and she just so happens to be able to mix them in a good way.... most of the time.

Offline NoCalMike

• EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #126 on: April 08, 2010, 08:12:21 PM »
Here is a live acoustic version of "Poker Face"  skip to 7:05.  Whenever I heard this song on the radio I always thought it sounded like she said "Fuck her face"  so I am not sure if she is just hamming it up here, or if this confirms that it actually does say that in the song?

Offline NoCalMike

• EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #127 on: April 08, 2010, 09:17:23 PM »
So for all the whacky outfits and "Sexual expression" from Lady Gaga....would she ever have the balls to do something like this during a live performance?

Hole - Celebrity Skin

I mean yeah ok, they're tits and in hindsight it's probably not that big of a deal and Courtney Love is probably not the first to do this, but I just kind of wonder how much Lady Gaga is an over-produced product and once you strip away the millions jacked into the machine pushing her, I wonder how much of it all is really her and how much is just part of the "persona" that the record label wants to push as "new, hip, & fresh....nothing like it around"

I mean for gawd's sake for all the raunchy lyrics and innuendo in her songs, I was kind of irked at the way she reacted when Barbara Walters asked her if she was bi-sexual.  She acted like the question was just the most out of context thing that wouldn't be on anyone's mind, and she seemed to feel rather uncomfortable answering questions relating to it.  

This isn't to say Gaga doesn't have a boatload of talent, but when you look at what she was doing before the machine got a hold of her, it was a far cry from electro-pop and she sure as hell didn't think it was necessary to be seen in a whacky outfit everyday in public.

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #128 on: April 09, 2010, 12:04:44 AM »
Yo when I said MIA was the music equivalent of a Che t-shirt I meant in the way people consume her music. She herself is pretty much as real as it gets and is almost certainly a more interesting artist than Gaga.

Offline Zorin Industries

• Time Lord Victorious
« Reply #129 on: April 09, 2010, 02:13:13 AM »
Bringing up grace Jones in this thread just reminded me of my number 1 hate target at the moment: Rihanna. Seriously, you need look no further for mass market, groupthink fakery than her. 5 years ago she was doing upbeat pop and ballads looking normal as normal could be, now here she is trying to be Grace Jones, well fuck that, there's only one Grace Jones. At least Gaga had a bit of prior history when it came to electro-influenced music and bizzare costumes, with Rihanna it was Beyonce clone one day, dominatrix the next.

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #130 on: April 09, 2010, 04:43:11 AM »
Yeah but her music is better now.

Offline Vitamin X

« Reply #131 on: April 09, 2010, 07:11:50 PM »
I mean yeah ok, they're tits and in hindsight it's probably not that big of a deal and Courtney Love is probably not the first to do this, but I just kind of wonder how much Lady Gaga is an over-produced product and once you strip away the millions jacked into the machine pushing her, I wonder how much of it all is really her and how much is just part of the "persona" that the record label wants to push as "new, hip, & fresh....nothing like it around"

I mean for gawd's sake for all the raunchy lyrics and innuendo in her songs, I was kind of irked at the way she reacted when Barbara Walters asked her if she was bi-sexual.  She acted like the question was just the most out of context thing that wouldn't be on anyone's mind, and she seemed to feel rather uncomfortable answering questions relating to it.  

This isn't to say Gaga doesn't have a boatload of talent, but when you look at what she was doing before the machine got a hold of her, it was a far cry from electro-pop and she sure as hell didn't think it was necessary to be seen in a whacky outfit everyday in public.
I think this is a pretty bad misconception a lot of people have. The girl with the black hair playing piano ballads is Stefani Germanotta, the girl with the weird outfits is Lady Gaga. Lady Gaga is the name she adopted when she hit the burlesque scene in Manhattan with Lady Starlight, who helped her design her outfits at first, and made the whole pop burlesque rockshow thing. Gaga was always meant to be "live performance art" and not necessarily fabricated pop music. Seeing the "before they were famous" stuff and looking at it now ignores a pretty crucial period in her evolution between the two spots.

Also, read this piece on how Lady Gaga is a Trickerster of American Pop culture. It pretty accurately describes what she's all about, I think.

Offline FroGG_NeaLL

• CXF Writer
« Reply #132 on: April 09, 2010, 07:41:25 PM »
Like I said, she really sells the gimmick well.

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• WWWYKI
« Reply #133 on: April 10, 2010, 03:37:08 AM »
Bringing up grace Jones in this thread just reminded me of my number 1 hate target at the moment: Rihanna. Seriously, you need look no further for mass market, groupthink fakery than her. 5 years ago she was doing upbeat pop and ballads looking normal as normal could be, now here she is trying to be Grace Jones, well fuck that, there's only one Grace Jones. At least Gaga had a bit of prior history when it came to electro-influenced music and bizzare costumes, with Rihanna it was Beyonce clone one day, dominatrix the next.

Thank you.   I've been telling people this about Rihanna.

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #134 on: April 10, 2010, 05:05:53 AM »
Yeah but Rihanna's music is way better now than it was when she was Beyonce lite so who cares.

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #135 on: April 10, 2010, 05:13:24 AM »
And even if it is just a product of "mass market, groupthink fakery" this stuff is badass. The Metal Gear Solid aesthetic has finally come to pop music.

Offline CookieMueller

• Forever blowing bubbles
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #136 on: April 10, 2010, 05:52:14 AM »
I love Lady Gaga...a lot. But M.I.A. has more creativity flowing through her body that Gaga could ever hope to have. You only have to listen to her music to understand that. But Gaga has more desire to be heard (and be famous) than M.I.A. will EVER have.

It's like being a female singer in the late 80s/early 90s and having to compete with Madonna. You know she's not the most talented but it doesn't matter because she's driven in an insane way that is unstoppable. She will do anything to succeed, even change who she is. Madonna was pretty grimey in the early 80s, similar to Gaga, she ran with an odd crowd in NYC, playing in "rock" bands before hitting it big and shedding the layers of grime to become a pop icon. There are tons of similarities between Gaga and Madonna - from their family background, to their beginnings, to their work ethic. I see her as the heir to that throne, no question.

Offline GAYGENT OF OBLIVION

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
« Reply #137 on: April 11, 2010, 01:14:57 AM »
Oh damn Rihanna w/ Machine Guns.

Offline Gary

• Where No Life Dwells
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #138 on: April 11, 2010, 04:36:15 AM »

This is amazingly hot.

Out Here Ginding

Offline Jingus

« Reply #139 on: April 11, 2010, 04:41:31 AM »
Watching that video and reading this thread reminds me of how baffling I find most performance art.  But there was another thought which came to mind: is it possible that Gaga intends this kind of thing as a parody of weird-shit music videos in general?  It seems like it takes all the old tropes and turns the volume way up to a level of wretched excess and pretension which seems almost like a send-up. 

So for all the whacky outfits and "Sexual expression" from Lady Gaga....would she ever have the balls to do something like this during a live performance?
And that reminds me of how bizarrely attracted I used to be to Courtney Love.  Such a shame that her body now seems entirely comprised of cellulite and syphilis. 

Offline luke-o

« Reply #140 on: April 12, 2010, 12:20:10 AM »
I'm kind of attracted to Courtney in that video.

Dirty skank.

7 months and counting...

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #141 on: April 12, 2010, 01:26:57 AM »
That video made me realize just how much work went into making Courtney sound good on CDs.
Matt, don't be a fag. Post some huge cocks.

Offline luke-o

« Reply #142 on: April 12, 2010, 01:34:03 AM »
She sounded good on CDs?

7 months and counting...

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #143 on: April 12, 2010, 01:56:58 AM »
She sounds a fuck of a lot better than she did in that video.
Matt, don't be a fag. Post some huge cocks.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #144 on: April 12, 2010, 08:01:02 AM »
MIA got overrated really fast because of Paper Planes and it hurt her in the US somewhat, but shes still huge all over the world. The thing is, it was an accidental hit. Nobody gave a fuck about MIA in this part of the world until Kanye heard her while he was on an Ecstasy and Hennessey fueled tour of Europe, and sampled her for TI's song.

Which song is that?

She had a decent sized following in this country since 2004 when the Piracy Funds Terrorism mixtape with Diplo came out.  Not a mainstream following, but big enough.  She was getting tons of hype in the blogosphere and good reviews, I saw her at a club summer of 05 and the place was pretty close to packed.

The way Paper Planes became a hit was pretty hilarious.  I remember when Kala came out thinking how cool it was that she was sampling Straight to Hell, and then like a year later it gets played to death in the Pineapple Express trailer and becomes a #1 song, which was also pretty cool because the Clash must have gotten some nice royalty checks from it.

Offline Vitamin X

« Reply #145 on: April 12, 2010, 08:28:09 AM »

This is amazingly hot.
look at those thighs. love it.

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #146 on: April 12, 2010, 09:19:24 AM »
MIA got overrated really fast because of Paper Planes and it hurt her in the US somewhat, but shes still huge all over the world. The thing is, it was an accidental hit. Nobody gave a fuck about MIA in this part of the world until Kanye heard her while he was on an Ecstasy and Hennessey fueled tour of Europe, and sampled her for TI's song.

Which song is that?

The sample and T.I.'s verse are its only redeeming qualities. It's almost shocking how lazy the other three verses are. Them niggas should have been ashamed.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #147 on: April 12, 2010, 09:33:48 AM »
It's better than Vampire Weekend's use of an M.I.A sample

Offline Jingus

« Reply #148 on: April 12, 2010, 10:29:03 PM »
It's better than Vampire Weekend
Not exactly an insurmountable feat right there. 

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #149 on: April 13, 2010, 05:08:05 AM »
“I can’t believe I’m saying this - don’t have sex,” Gaga said in England, where she is promoting MAC’s Viva Glam Campaign to fight AIDS. “It’s okay not to have sex, it’s okay to get to know people,” she says. “I’m celibate, celibacy’s fine.”

:o