Author Topic: Shutter Island  (Read 1009 times)

Description:

Offline Incandenza

Shutter Island
« on: February 22, 2010, 09:44:09 AM »
I liked Shutter Island for the most part, particularly the first half of it When was the last time a film released by a major studio explored loss and deep, spiritual loneliness in such a stark fashion as this? It's a shame that the last half of the film gets wrapped up in conspiracy-theory hokum and a dumb "twist" that, while making sense within the context of the film, is still dumb. And I'll admit my aversion is largely personal; if you can accept the twist as being part of the film's logic, fine. I'm just so tired of this kind of gimmickry.

Offline God King Emperor Kamala

• CXF Writer
Shutter Island
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 12:55:51 PM »
What I wrote in the Watching... thread
Just came back from Shutter Island thought it was a heck of a thriller though DiCaprio's Boston accent is still kind of hammy. I AM A U ESS MASHALL!!!  The supporting cast and Scorsese more than carried him though. Really good atmospheric thriller but I kind of see why it was pushed back a bit. A movie like this wouldn't get a lot of heat during awards season. Still cool to see Scorsese do a moody genre piece.  8.5/10

I could have done without the twist but it made sense. I agree with what Angle-Plex said that they really hammer it home a bit too much. Probably could have been 10-15 minutes shorter without hurting anything.

Offline Saints_Fan_H

Shutter Island
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 01:42:21 AM »
The twist made me so mad.
Spoiler: show
Waited the whole damn movie to see that shady Kinglsey get his in the end, and it's a swerve. As soon as the other Marshall disappeared I decided that he is the missing doctor and DiCaprio is nuts.

I did not enjoy the last half hour.

Offline SBofn

• Shelton Benjamin outta fuckin' nowhere!
Shutter Island
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 02:37:02 AM »
Spoiler rating: 5 out of 5

I'm with you on pretty much all fronts except I wasn't annoyed by the ending so much as disappointed.  I thought they were going to land somewhere in the middle of the two narratives, where Teddy IS Andrew Laeddis and DID kill his wife, but he's still  right about Shutter Island's nefarious purposes.  I've seen arguments that this is still possible in the context of the movie, but I think the last scene between Teddy and Chuck shut that idea down.
Of course cage matches work.  If they didn't work, everybody would still be in the cage.

--Michael Scott

Online Detective Ventriloquist

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
Shutter Island
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 10:22:27 AM »
Just wondering what people thought of Leo's final line of the movie
"Is it worse to be alive and evil or dead and good"
What I got from it was
Leo did not relapse back into his alternate personality, and in fact just couldn't live with what he had done and wanted to be done with it once and for all. He knew the only way to do that, for good, was to get a lobotomy.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline O.G.

• Slicka than ya average...
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
Shutter Island
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 05:01:02 PM »
I'm still debating whether
he's a mental patient who relapsed or a federal marshall who was brainwashed and outsmarted
. The last line works for either argument.

Online Detective Ventriloquist

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
Shutter Island
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 10:21:19 PM »
he's a mental patient who relapsed or a federal marshall who was brainwashed and outsmarted

I got
he's a marshall that killed his wife for killing their kids. He's arrested for the murder and instead of living with what he did, he makes up this alter ego.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline Incandenza

Shutter Island
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 06:19:36 AM »
Spoiler rating: 5 out of 5

I'm with you on pretty much all fronts except I wasn't annoyed by the ending so much as disappointed.  I thought they were going to land somewhere in the middle of the two narratives, where Teddy IS Andrew Laeddis and DID kill his wife, but he's still  right about Shutter Island's nefarious purposes.  I've seen arguments that this is still possible in the context of the movie, but I think the last scene between Teddy and Chuck shut that idea down.

I don't buy the Teddy-was-right-all-along theory, either, though it would go some distance to explain away some of what bothered me about the twist. Kingsley's Dr. Cawley had been running this experiment for two years? Really? That was a bit much for me to swallow. Bad Dr. Cawley might have a reason to lie (even though I don't know what he'd stand to gain by doing so).

Hey, a question for anyone who might know. How do you explain the scene where he drugs Max von Sydow's Dr. Naehring? Just about everything in Shutter Island squares with all the action being a manifestation of Teddy's psychic despair, but that one scene sticks out. Did he actually he drug him? Naehring seemed fined when you saw toward the end of the film. Was there a line of dialogue that I missed which explained this? I'm guessing it was a completely unaccounted for hallucination, much like when Teddy thought he saw Chuck's body at the bottom of the rocks.

Offline Incandenza

Shutter Island
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 06:27:14 AM »

No, he's definitely a federal marshal who killed his wife after she murdered their kids. As for the final line, CD's interpretation seems most apt. I've been told that the final exchange between Teddy and Chuck with that line isn't in the novel—I haven't read it myself—so it may've been placed by the filmmakers to add an extra bit of ambiguity.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
Shutter Island
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 06:54:33 AM »
I guess I'm in the minority here by saying I thought the film was a big ole mess, with a really bleh finish to it all. I really didn't like it at all. It started with a great eerie feel and whatnot, but the longer it went (and this was FAR too long of a film, by the way) the more it just kind of sat there without really building the insanity running more and more wild (which I thought was the idea, but it wasn't done very well) and then there was far too much slow conversation in between what was supposed to be these insane things happening. Case in point the scene with Jackie Haley. I liked the look and feel of most of the film, but just not the actual story behind it.

The acting was up to par for sure, but everything was far too disconnected and par for the course, and the twists were far from unpredictable. I pretty much figured out what was up within the first half hour.

Offline Incandenza

Shutter Island
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 07:01:50 AM »
Perhaps the time will come when we'll be able to talk about the movie w/o focusing on the twist—though I'll admit I'm doing it just as much as everyone else—because I really think there was a lot of interesting stuff going re:Teddy's desperation and the nature of violence (both mental and physical)...until all the conspiracy hoo-haw went into overdrive.

Edit: And it's pretty easy to figure out the twist when you know there's one going into it. To have seen this movie without knowing anything about it beforehand would've been nice, but I suppose it would've made the eventual revelation even more disappointing.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
Shutter Island
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 07:25:03 AM »
Perhaps the time will come when we'll be able to talk about the movie w/o focusing on the twist—though I'll admit I'm doing it just as much as everyone else—because I really think there was a lot of interesting stuff going re:Teddy's desperation and the nature of violence (both mental and physical)...until all the conspiracy hoo-haw went into overdrive.

Edit: And it's pretty easy to figure out the twist when you know there's one going into it. To have seen this movie without knowing anything about it beforehand would've been nice, but I suppose it would've made the eventual revelation even more disappointing.

I had no idea there was going to be a twist, and I certainly knew next to nothing about the film going into it, other than a vague review in the local paper that was actually pretty positive towards everything. Of course, Ive seen a trailer many times for the film, but I wouldn't say I knew the innerds of the film, per-se.

That said, I could tell a twist was going to happen (or should I say, I knew where the whole premise was going) given all of the random nonsensical things happening, and how things didn't add up here and there.

The big problem with the film was that it kind of didn't focus on what needed to be focused on enough for it to really work. It was like the pace of the insanity getting worse and worse wasn't there, and it should have been. Instead it kind of just got too far ahead of itself and then by the end of it, it just fell flat to me.

Offline CuckBright7831

• CBright
  • 2016/17 Poster of the Year
Shutter Island
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 09:34:57 AM »
This movie was like one great big mindfuck.

When I was driving home from the movie - I was quiet - and didn't say a thing. I'm still trying to figure out which way is the correct way, but all I can say that it is a mindfuck.

4/5

HEY, TRTSM:

Quote from: Cowboy Numbers
same with cwm
he's a stay at home dad with no education
what's he gonna teach his kids? how to be a loser?

Offline Spaceman Spiff 🚀

Shutter Island
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 03:03:55 PM »
Hey, a question for anyone who might know. How do you explain the scene where he drugs Max von Sydow's Dr. Naehring? Just about everything in Shutter Island squares with all the action being a manifestation of Teddy's psychic despair, but that one scene sticks out. Did he actually he drug him? Naehring seemed fined when you saw toward the end of the film. Was there a line of dialogue that I missed which explained this? I'm guessing it was a completely unaccounted for hallucination, much like when Teddy thought he saw Chuck's body at the bottom of the rocks.
Saw it tonight.  Pretty sure all the action actually happened, as Kingsley said "we gave you the run of the island these last few days."  As for the drug, it was just a sedative, right?  That's what the doctor said, but he could've just been lying to Teddy.

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• If I told you cocaine numbers you would think I was lyin'
  • WWWYKI
Shutter Island
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 03:50:34 AM »
I still don't know about this movie.  I think
the last line meant he can't live with what he did and decided to fake that he relapsed.  I wonder about the last shot of the movie though.  They said the old lighthouse is where they did all the experiments and that's where they were taking him for the lobotomy.  Could he be right about the bad shit they were doing? 

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
  • Laugh This Off... Puddin!
    • Culture Crossfire
Re: Shutter Island
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2018, 04:01:17 AM »
Finally re-watched this after having not seen it for a while. Still holds up pretty well (especially the first half) with a lot of references to the reality of what was going on. The film does tend to run long especially the "reveal" towards the end which is basically 20-25 minutes long emphasizing what could've been summed in 5-10 minutes.

I do agree that the fantasy/plot kind of ran out of steam prior to the reveal almost like Scorcese just wanted to get to the finale of the movie itself rather than neatly tie up the mental fantasy that was going on.