Author Topic: Guns N Roses (Including former members)  (Read 11293 times)

Description:

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• If I told you cocaine numbers you would think I was lyin'
  • WWWYKI
Guns N Roses (Including former members)
« on: April 01, 2010, 08:02:58 AM »
I'm listening to this new Slash CD and it's so sad.   Some of the songs are so good that they remind me that if the real Guns N Roses got back together they could still make some amazing music.

Offline The ghost of bps21

• Wade the Duck says: Your brush with Greatness is OVER!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 08:06:04 AM »
I have to check that out.  I've heard good things, and am glad to see he has recovered from being criminally underused in Velvet Revolver. 

Offline Nymyzys

• TRTSM's Color Commentator
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 04:01:00 PM »
I really wanted to like Velvet Revolver, but I could never get into them. 

Offline Furry AND Republican

• CXF Writer
  • Gary
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 04:05:29 PM »
The moment I saw the title of the thread, I knew who started it.

yes i am a "HO"

Honorable

Offline Wrestlemania/Limp Bizkit WINNER

• Kreese
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 04:09:06 PM »
"Chinese Democracy" isn't a real song.  It isn't anything.  Nothing by Guns N' Roses really is, while we're at it.

• Kreese
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 11:52:44 PM »
And if you don't believe me, why don't you take it from Steve Albini, the producer of the seminal post-grunge masterpiece Razorblade Suitcase by Bush:

Some of you people like Guns 'n' Roses! Haha!

Pure shit. Completely murderable band. Every song, every moment. Deserving of murder.

At their absolute peak they were nowhere near as good as Aerosmith's Draw the Line album, which totally sucked.

Offline C Dubya 09

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 12:12:41 AM »
I really wanted to like Velvet Revolver, but I could never get into them. 

Yeah, I felt the same way.  It was way better in concept than in execution.

Slash's autobiography is an amazing book, btw.  It's all over the place and at least ten times he mentions a story but says "we'll get to that later" then forgets about it apparently.  But, the stories of the excess of GnR are just fantastic.

Steve Albini can go grab Gavin's dick from Gwen and suck it for all I care.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 12:49:09 AM »
And if you don't believe me, why don't you take it from Steve Albini, the producer of the seminal post-grunge masterpiece Razorblade Suitcase by Bush:

Pure shit. Completely murderable band. Every song, every moment. Deserving of murder.

At their absolute peak they were nowhere near as good as Aerosmith's Draw the Line album, which totally sucked.

This is one of the most offensive things I have ever read

Online AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 01:29:37 AM »
Yeah, Appetite is better than anything Aerosmith did, including Rocks and Toys.  Shit, the UYI albums are better than Draw the Line.

• CXF Writer
  • Gary
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 02:11:15 AM »

While he's produced a dud or two, he's also produced albums for The Pixes, Om, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Jesus Lizard, Zeni Geva, Mono, and a other bands you probably are unaware of. Plus, dude was in Big Black and Rapeman. He deserves a fucking medal for recording "Songs About Fucking."

yes i am a "HO"

Honorable

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 02:15:24 AM »
he's also produced albums for The Pixes, Om, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Jesus Lizard, Zeni Geva, Mono, and a other bands you probably are unaware of.

gary floyd just put you on notice, Kreese.

Offline Cool, Bad, & Handsome

• KOAB
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 02:33:29 AM »
 :o

Offline Dad Rock

• Alfie
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 07:05:51 AM »
You're clearly not a voracious reader. It's hair metal, Roy.
met this fat girl (not a huge whale or anything but like 25-26 BMI) at a club in like,,, 2008....shes cool, not my type but giant hooters....we start drinkin gettin real faded, and she takes me out to her car to smoke some dro.....im high as fuck and point blank shes just like "hey man i am down to blow you........" im like whatever and we try but my dick wasnt workin cuz i was so faded and this fuckin weed she had was like....fuck i just couldnt get my head in the game..but im rico suave and i get her digits and she texts me her address the next day and says "come over to get ur cock sucked and blow a load in my perm"

so i roll up and her roommate answers the door, i ask if her roomies around and she says "oh....she DIED TEN YEARS AGO THIS VERY DAY...."

Offline Dad Rock

• Alfie
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 07:11:47 AM »
Albini isn't really a producer. He's a recordist. He's said that he'll record for virually any band, including those he dislikes (because someone else might enjoy their sound). I'm sure he's not a Bush fan. He even hated Pixies at the time.
met this fat girl (not a huge whale or anything but like 25-26 BMI) at a club in like,,, 2008....shes cool, not my type but giant hooters....we start drinkin gettin real faded, and she takes me out to her car to smoke some dro.....im high as fuck and point blank shes just like "hey man i am down to blow you........" im like whatever and we try but my dick wasnt workin cuz i was so faded and this fuckin weed she had was like....fuck i just couldnt get my head in the game..but im rico suave and i get her digits and she texts me her address the next day and says "come over to get ur cock sucked and blow a load in my perm"

so i roll up and her roommate answers the door, i ask if her roomies around and she says "oh....she DIED TEN YEARS AGO THIS VERY DAY...."

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 07:54:27 AM »
I'm shocked that Kreese hasn't popped in to respond to gary floyd's megaburn yet. He must be shook bad.

Offline Dad Rock

• Alfie
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 07:55:19 AM »
This cyber-bullying has to stop.

• Kreese
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 09:18:15 AM »
Sorry I just don't see what the big deal is about Axl Rose.  I keep reading "best of" lists that call Appetite for Destruction one of the best hard rock albums of all time.  But it's awful.  How can something be one of the best if it's not any good?  That's a logical fallacy.  What does their inexplicably large fanbase like about them?  "Welcome To The Jungle" is a meathead party anthem fratboys sing at their tailgate parties, "Sweet Child o' Mine" was done better by Sheryl Crow, "Paradise City" is best known as the song from that Jennifer Love Hewitt movie about the graduation party, and "November Rain" is a Poison/Warrant power ballad unjustly awarded classic status due to its excruatiating length.  GNR "fans" can't possibly like these songs; nobody could.  So what is it that they like about Axl Rose?  His gay nuthugger shorts?  His cornrowed wig?  His Hogan mustache?  I'd like to hope any myths about this fatass's "talent" were put to rest when he took 18 years to make an album that has Shaq on it, but what do you expect from Cowboy Numbers?

Offline Cool, Bad, & Handsome

• KOAB
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 09:47:03 AM »
Yeah, well... that's just your opinion. For everyone of those type of opinions... there's like 4 people against you admiring the greatness of this truly powerhouse band.

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• WWWYKI
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 09:54:28 AM »
"Sweet Child o' Mine" was done better by Sheryl Crow

You have been automatically disqualified.

Offline FroGG_NeaLL

• Spectacular Shirtless Rapping
  • CXF Writer
  • WIT DA GREATEST OF EASE
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 10:07:07 AM »
Sorry I just don't see what the big deal is about Axl Rose.  I keep reading "best of" lists that call Appetite for Destruction one of the best hard rock albums of all time.  But it's awful.  How can something be one of the best if it's not any good?  That's a logical fallacy.  What does their inexplicably large fanbase like about them?  "Welcome To The Jungle" is a meathead party anthem fratboys sing at their tailgate parties, "Sweet Child o' Mine" was done better by Sheryl Crow, "Paradise City" is best known as the song from that Jennifer Love Hewitt movie about the graduation party, and "November Rain" is a Poison/Warrant power ballad unjustly awarded classic status due to its excruatiating length.  GNR "fans" can't possibly like these songs; nobody could.  So what is it that they like about Axl Rose?  His gay nuthugger shorts?  His cornrowed wig?  His Hogan mustache?  I'd like to hope any myths about this fatass's "talent" were put to rest when he took 18 years to make an album that has Shaq on it, but what do you expect from Cowboy Numbers?

Welcome to the Jungle is about a farm boy moving to la to become a rockstar, and he gets eatin alive by the jungle, so he adapts and goes insane.

Paradise City is not best remembered for the JLH movie youre talking about, that i cant even remember the name of. I've never had that song come on and somebody relate it to a movie.

November Rain is so far beyond average 80s/90s power ballads that if you cant see it, then i'll be of no help to you.

GNR are over rated by alot of their fans, but they're still one of the best bands from the past 30 years.

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 10:09:52 AM »
lol

• Kreese
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 10:21:27 AM »

• CXF Writer
  • Gary

yes i am a "HO"

Honorable

Offline "Dot Com" Matt Postin (heel)

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 11:23:44 AM »
Don't act like you're ignorant of the fact that the JLH movie is Can't Hardly Wait. Buncha posers.

• CXF Writer
  • Gary
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 01:53:50 PM »
Don't act like you're ignorant of the fact that the JLH movie is Can't Hardly Wait. Buncha posers.
I love that movie.

yes i am a "HO"

Honorable

Offline BPSS

• BurningPirateShipSex

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2010, 04:18:06 PM »
BUTT's post was awful and so are all of yours. I award you no points.

• Kreese
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2010, 04:48:24 PM »
Let us not forget that after GNR broke up (thankfully), Waxl hired a shitty guitarist with long hair and made him wear a mask and bucket on his head in order to trick people into thinking it was Slash.  He also hired some dude from Love Spit Love (who?) because he looked like Izzy and the bassist from the Replacements (appropriately) who he hoped to trick audiences into thinking was Duff with short hair.  Also he was in the worst Dirty Harry movie.

Offline FroGG_NeaLL

• Spectacular Shirtless Rapping
  • CXF Writer
  • WIT DA GREATEST OF EASE
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2010, 10:21:40 PM »

I really didnt know. i recognise the name of the movie now that you mentioned it, but i still dont remember shit about it.

Offline BPSS

• BurningPirateShipSex
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2010, 11:50:18 PM »

Auto-disqualified from life.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2010, 11:53:46 PM »
You're clearly not a voracious reader. It's hair metal, Roy.

One man's hair metal is another man's whatever bullshit you listen to

Offline Slayer

• I have no lies or truth in what I say
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2010, 01:25:08 AM »
I'm not here to take up arms for GNR or anything, but to repeat a point I've made before

It's hair metal

No.  No no no no no

No

• Kreese
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2010, 01:49:09 AM »

I suppose Enuff Znuff and Trixter weren't hair metal either.

Offline Slayer

• I have no lies or truth in what I say
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2010, 02:09:53 AM »
Yes, Axl had that wild hair for a time.  Good argument.  Never mind that Slash looked like he'd be more at home in a thrash band, and Izzy didn't even have a "metal" look in the first place, if you want to argue the fashion side

To me, GNR is in a group of bands (Skid Row is another notable example) that happened to break out at the same time hair metal was big and so they get lumped together despite being stylistically different. Songs like "Welcome to the Jungle" and "Sweet Child O Mine" were not similar to the Warrants, Poisons, Cinderellas and other HM bands with which they shared airtime on MTV in the late 80's... I was even able to recognize that at the age of nine, ffs.

Offline GAYGENT OF OBLIVION

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2010, 02:26:22 AM »
Waxl hired a shitty guitarist with long hair and made him wear a mask and bucket on his head in order to trick people into thinking it was Slash

Wait a minute.

1. Buckethead's been Buckethead long before he did shit with GNR.
2. Buckethead's a better guitarist than Slash.

Offline GAYGENT OF OBLIVION

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2010, 02:40:47 AM »

Offline Black Lushus

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2010, 03:31:09 AM »
I thought Kreese liked GNR?  Is Czech using his account again?

• Kreese
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2010, 07:43:50 AM »
Yeah, I think most people who have seen my posts for a while know I'm just joking about all this.  GNR threads at the old board were always very polarizing.  I figured it would be fun to take the other side for once.  I have even seen the new GNR in concert and it ruled so hard, man.

I'm going to post some rad vids of Axl either punching dudes or yelling at fans, or both:

• Kreese
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2010, 07:46:56 AM »
To me, GNR is in a group of bands (Skid Row is another notable example) that happened to break out at the same time hair metal was big and so they get lumped together despite being stylistically different.

I agree that Skid Row is harder than Poison or Warrant but it's not that unfair to lump their early work into the hair metal genre.  The first song on their debut album is SHE'S GOT THE BIG GUNS, AIMED STRAIGHT AT MY HEART, BANG BANG SHOOTING LIKE A FIRING SQUAD.  But Slave To The Grind definitely isn't hair metal.

Offline Nymyzys

• TRTSM's Color Commentator
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2010, 08:08:09 AM »
November Rain is the alpha and omega of power ballads.  It features one of my favorite build-ups of all time.  The slow drums and distorted guitar about 7 minutes in, all build to one of the most powerful guirtar solos I've ever heard.  It still gives me chills just to hear that single part of the song, and Axl's wailing towards the end seals it.  Classic.

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2010, 08:12:53 AM »
Yeah, I think most people who have seen my posts for a while know I'm just joking about all this.  GNR threads at the old board were always very polarizing.  I figured it would be fun to take the other side for once.  I have even seen the new GNR in concert and it ruled so hard, man.

Aw I was hoping you'd keep it up for a little while longer. That second post was a pretty good czech pastiche.

Offline The ghost of bps21

• Wade the Duck says: Your brush with Greatness is OVER!
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2010, 12:30:55 PM »
I saw them play in Toronto when Buckethead was still in the band.  That show fucking rocked.  Of course Axl went crazy and the tour was canceled a couple of shows later.  And then Chinese Democracy came out...7 years later.

• Kreese
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2010, 12:48:24 PM »
Yeah, I think most people who have seen my posts for a while know I'm just joking about all this.  GNR threads at the old board were always very polarizing.  I figured it would be fun to take the other side for once.  I have even seen the new GNR in concert and it ruled so hard, man.

Aw I was hoping you'd keep it up for a little while longer. That second post was a pretty good czech pastiche.

It wasn't entirely inspired by Czech, as he's one of many who put up opposition in the old GNR threads.  I was running out of material after five posts, but my next one, had Lushus not outed me, would have been totally sonning the songs on the most recent GNR album like so:

Chinese Democracy?  More like Chinese disappointment!  Shackler's Revenge?  Should that be SHAQ-ler's, and is that the song he raps on?  Better?  More like Worse!  Street of Dreams?  It's a nightmare to me!  If The World?  If the world was smart, they wouldn't have bought 50 million Guns N' Roses CDs!  There Was A Time?  Yeah, there was a time when Guns N' Roses sold records, but it's not anymore!  Catcher in the Rye?  Axl's career is as dead as J.D. Salinger!  Scraped?  You've really scraped the bottom of the barrel if you buy Chinese Democracy!  Riad n' the Bedouins?  More like BAD-ouins!  Sorry?  I'm sorry this album ever got made!  I.R.S.?  Does that stand for "I really suck," Axl?  Madagascar?  Yeah I bet Axl is MAD that he can't afford GAS for his CAR.  This I Love?  More like this I hate!  Prostitute?  That's right Axl, you are one, suck a dick ho.

I saw them play in Toronto when Buckethead was still in the band.  That show fucking rocked.  Of course Axl went crazy and the tour was canceled a couple of shows later.  And then Chinese Democracy came out...7 years later.

I wanted to see them with Buckethead, but my MOM wouldn't let me. :lol:  It's OK though, I saw them a few years later with Ron Thal, people.  RON.  FUCKING.  THAL.

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• WWWYKI
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2010, 11:08:08 AM »
The two best songs off of Slash's new album have to be this (which has a fucking face melting solo)

and this

Watch This has Dave Grohl and Duff McKagan.   Song is insane.

Offline JAxlMorrison

Re: Guns N Roses (Including former members)
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2012, 04:12:57 AM »
I hung out with Axl after a show in Atlantic City earlier this year. True story.

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2012, 06:19:33 AM »
Gotta give us more details than that man. Also welcome back.

Offline JAxlMorrison

« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2012, 06:34:58 AM »
Gotta give us more details than that man. Also welcome back.

Thank you. Lookin forward to posting the update on my life that I know so many are clamoring for, lol.

Ok, so, I went to see GNR in the House Of Blue in AC back in February on their Up Close & Personal Tour. Dynamite place to see a concert, I was maybe 4-5 rows from the stage, and the set lists was incredible. I think they played from like 12 - 3:15. I was there with my current girlfriend. So, as we are walking out, two people with backstage pass/staff things (can't think of the name) around their necks wave her and I over, and next thing I know, we are in the Foundation Room for some sort of GNR afterparty. Her and I are pretty blitzed, and spend most of our time sitting on various couches, and scoping the scene. I see the drummer, guitar player DJ Ashba, Tommy Stinson, and I think Richard Fortus was there as well, along with various hanger on, groupie types, etc. The gf is extremely tired, but I know, due to the late hour, that Axl will stroll in at some point.

Around 4:30, there he is. As soon as he appears, there's 15-20 assholes in his face with cell phone camera, etc. to which he looks utterly horrified. He is rushed to a back room. I figure, I am not getting this opportunity again. I see security blocking the entry, but there is another door that leads out to a walkway where people are smoking. If you went out the other doorway, you could easily reenter through this other doorway behind the security's back. So I of course, told my gf to get out a cigarette and did so.

We walk in, and in the room to the left of me is DJ Ashba, with a ton of incense burning, various fans, etc. In the room to the right of me, it just appeared to be another gathering of people, so her and I walked in, and there was Axl on the couch. I just hung out against the wall, drink in hand, and listened as he answered questions, told stories, jokes, etc. Nothing earth shattering. I told him the show was excellent when there was a pause, and he said thank you very much. Then all of the sudden, the music playing in the room stopped. Axl seemed to get irritated, asking where the music was. His handler, or whoever, started asking people if they had an Ipod he could hook up, but with that, I heard Axl say "This is fucking lame," and he stood up, walked directly by her and I, and was on his way, lol. He never returned.

I know it's not much of a story, but it was fun for me, and obviously a cool moment in my nerdy world, to get that close and exchange a sentence with one of my heroes.

Offline The Art of Rasslin'

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2012, 08:34:53 AM »
You need to raise your standards for who you consider a hero bro.

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

Offline JAxlMorrison

« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2012, 08:54:27 AM »
You need to raise your standards for who you consider a hero bro.

There's no doubt about that.

• Kreese
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2012, 10:14:51 AM »
Fuck yeah finally another poster who appreciates Chinese Democracy for the ham jam that it is.  This folder finally has the chance to become good again for the first time.