Author Topic: PIZZA PIZZA PIZZA PIZZA PIZZA PIZZA: A place to discuss and debate pizza.  (Read 32472 times)

Description:

Online Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
For cheap Pizza I kinda like the Cici's buffet.

Yeah, I don't really see how you can beat a six dollar all you can eat pizza buffet.  The Buffalo Chicken pizza is one of my all-time faves as I usually dish half the pan onto my plate when I go.

I can never make my mind up if I like the buffalo chicken or not...but every time I go I have a couple slices.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
Maniac, I used to work at a Little Caesars and we had Italian Cheese Bread which was almost exactly what Kamala described.  Basically pizza dough made in a square with cheese and then butter and this parmesan and oregano shit sprinkled on top.  Dip it in some marinara sauce and it was probably the best thing on the menu.

Also, Little Caesars didn't use real pepperonis - they used salami, which is a lot cheaper.

Offline The Metal Maniac

• Oh yeah! I
  • Wow-ee!
Yeah, those are what we'd call garlic fingers - except they come with donair sauce around here. Had to ask; I found it hard to believe that other places hadn't thought of it.
But that's the way I like it baby
I don't wanna live forever

Offline Star Ocean 3

• Star Ocean 2
Here's a nice LA Times article about the multiple cultures offering their takes on pizza: http://articles.latimes.com/2010/apr/15/food/la-fo-pizza-20100415
It's definitely not what you're looking for if you want a traditional pizza, but it shouldn't offend you unless you're really serious about the usual deep dish slop or New York style whatever pizza that people seem to want.

I'm tired of people complaining about LA. If you're an east coast transplant who comes here just to whine about how everything is different from back home, and you feel the need to remind everybody that you're from New Jersey or whatever whenever you talk to people, you should be flogged.

Online Firmino of the 909

• Admin
Here's a nice LA Times article about the multiple cultures offering their takes on pizza: http://articles.latimes.com/2010/apr/15/food/la-fo-pizza-20100415
It's definitely not what you're looking for if you want a traditional pizza, but it shouldn't offend you unless you're really serious about the usual deep dish slop or New York style whatever pizza that people seem to want.

I'm tired of people complaining about LA. If you're an east coast transplant who comes here just to whine about how everything is different from back home, and you feel the need to remind everybody that you're from New Jersey or whatever whenever you talk to people, you should be flogged.

The people that complain about the lack of Dunkin' Donuts are the fuckin' worst.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
As an East Coaster I complain about the ubiquitousness of Dunkin' Donuts.  They're ok, but I certainly wouldn't miss them

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
  • You don't know me and you don't have to know me
The local Metro (formerly A&P) grocery mart now makes wood oven pizzas on order. It's not a blow away pizza by any means but it's $9, comes with a 2L of Coke, and tastes good (the crust is very good).

The idea is you place the order when you start shopping then pick it up on your way out.

Offline RavishingRickRudo

Casa Di Mama's Hawaiian pizza is by far the best frozen pizza I have ever had.  I would legit choose it over all but 3 pizza places.  The crust is like a fucking croissant.  The only problem is it can easily be downed in one sitting.

Offline Lord of The Curry

Agreed, those things are dangerous. I had three over the course of a drunken evening once.

Offline Loaded Glove

• With a hot tub shaped like Texas Stadium
Been to New York a few times, but live in California. So while I'm not an "East Coaster", I can say that I've spent my fair share of time on the East Coast.

With that said, Valentino's Pizza in Manhattan Beach, CA is as good as any pizza I've had in New York

Offline Kinsey

• Kinsey
A great pizza place opened up near me called Squistos. Best pizza I've had in some time, especially since they have toppings you usally won't find at other places, like eggplant.

Offline Cool, Bad, & Handsome

• KOAB
With that said, Valentino's Pizza in Manhattan Beach, CA is as good as any pizza I've had in New York

YES

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
Garlic Fingers, are all over the place, we just call them Garlic Twists.
Little Casear's $5 large "Hot N Ready" Pepperoni deal is hard to beat, and even Pizza Hut as the Pizza Mia's for $5 with one topping of your choice.

Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com

Online Firmino of the 909

• Admin
The worst thing about pizza down here is that it seems like nobody makes a good deep dish. If anyone is aware of one in the LA area please say so.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline snuffbox

• CXF Writer
Baltimore has shit for pizza. I can't even name one local pizza place that is even decent. They all try for a NYC style pizza and yet still fail. Horrible.

Brick Oven Pizza
Matthew's

Online Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
  • Sometimes A Friend is Worth A Billion Dollars
So I finally dropped Domino's new pizza. I didn't really notice any difference outside of maybe the sauce being slightly better. Crust tasted the same, cheese tasted the same, topping were the same. Same ol' mediocre stuff that I only order after a night of drinking because it's right down the street from my house and open till 3 A.M. on weekends.

Offline The Metal Maniac

• Oh yeah! I
  • Wow-ee!
Unless I'm missing something here, garlic twists are not garlic fingers.

From my brief foray into the internet, garlic twists appear to be like breadsticks, kinda; garlic fingers are served basically exactly like a pizza, except it's cut into strips and not slices like a pizza is.
But that's the way I like it baby
I don't wanna live forever

Offline griffinmills

• I finally changed this.
You're pretty much right.  Strictly speaking, Garlic Fingers are fairly rare in the states.  It's like garlic bread made round and like a pizza and offers all the upgrade paths as such.  In SF plenty of joints offer something similar but not exactly the same.  I'd say the difference is along the level of french fries vs. curly fries or potato wedges, but even more so.

Not that bread twists and shit didn't exist until recently but recently they've been gaining a lot more notoriety and become wide spread.  Also, in SF, there tends to be really good french and sourdough bread so might as well make things with that when you can so I can see why folks rarely dabbled in Garlic Finger technology.  :P

• KOAB
So I finally dropped Domino's new pizza. I didn't really notice any difference outside of maybe the sauce being slightly better. Crust tasted the same, cheese tasted the same, topping were the same. Same ol' mediocre stuff that I only order after a night of drinking because it's right down the street from my house and open till 3 A.M. on weekends.

Yeah, it's alright but nothing to write home about with the new ad campaign. The only difference I tasted in the one by my house is the crust.

Offline Kinsey

• Kinsey
Margherita Pizza from Little Italy in Baltimore with some Boh?

Yes.

YES!

Offline the max

• Soxy
The Domino's sauce was a little different but everything else was the same including the 1+ hour to deliver it. Thanks but no thanks.

Online Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
See I have a Domino's Pizza right  down the street from the house. In the ten years or so that it was open, I went maybe four or five times before this summer. Now I go once or twice a week thanks to the slightly less shitty pizza and the two medium, two topping pizzas for $12 deal. I think Brooklyn Style is a not terrible approximation of New York style pizza. Maybe my favorite of the big chain pizzas especially since Papa John's has kind of gone to shit for some reason the past few years.

Now back to good pizza, I had a really good fancy pie from Portland Pie Co (local chain) the other week with fresh scallops, smoked bacon, scallions, and fresh mozzarella on white sauce with a beer crust. It was $22 for a large but totally worth it. Seafood on pizza sounded a bit weird to me at first but I can why Aussies are into it. I'm surprised now that I don't see it more often here.

Online Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
PIZZA PIZZA PIZZA PIZZA PIZZA PIZZA: A place to discuss and debate pizza.
« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2010, 10:19:59 AM »
Have we had a discussion on frozen pizza? I'm less picky than most when it comes to that junk but I got a beef with Newman's Own frozen pizza. They taste pretty good but they're perhaps the least filling thing ever. Like eating pizza toppings on a cracker. I guess that's as much of a beef with super thin crust pizza in general. I could eat a whole one and still feel kind of hungry.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2010, 02:39:47 PM »
I enjoy Golf Bro brand (formerly Red Baron) frozen pizza.

Offline Slayer

• I have no lies or truth in what I say

Offline Vitamin X

« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2010, 03:24:58 AM »
No

Offline Wacko Walrus

« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2010, 06:07:25 AM »
If frozen pizza is so great, then how come you have to cook it before you eat it?

Online Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2010, 06:49:02 AM »
Surprised that Wacko Walarus is a proponent of the raw food movement.

Offline "Dot Com" Matt Postin (heel)

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2010, 01:25:23 AM »

this shit is bomb bomb yo

Offline GAYGENT OF OBLIVION

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2010, 02:17:56 AM »
Haha, you go jogging in a breast cancer awareness event before nibbling your fag Kashi mushroom trio and spinach you fairy?

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2010, 02:28:33 AM »
A black person is holding it so obviously it is cool

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2010, 02:34:54 AM »
Three kinds of mushroom? Gross.

Offline Vitamin X

« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2010, 10:18:32 AM »
If you don't like mushrooms, you're obviously a fag.

Offline Incandenza

« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2010, 04:27:39 AM »
Haha, you go jogging in a breast cancer awareness event before nibbling your fag Kashi mushroom trio and spinach you fairy?
It actually is a pretty good pizza, you mouth-breathing neanderthal.

• KOAB
« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2010, 05:37:55 AM »
A black person is holding it so obviously he stole it

Offline The Art of Rasslin'

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2010, 08:39:36 AM »

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

• KOAB
« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2010, 08:58:03 AM »

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2010, 12:59:49 PM »
So you guys all jerk off on a Kashi pizza and the last one to finish eats it, right?

Offline The Art of Rasslin'

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2010, 01:12:49 PM »

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2010, 01:52:05 PM »
I just eat the whole thing in one sitting.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #90 on: October 14, 2010, 11:21:06 AM »
I've never had a Kashi pizza but they make a pretty good granola bar.  I might have to check that shit out yo

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #91 on: October 14, 2010, 11:25:05 AM »
oh man this looks awesome

plantains, mango, red peppers and KALE?  A spicy guava infused suace?  SOLD!

Online Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #92 on: October 14, 2010, 12:47:03 PM »
That's ridiculous. They should have added salami frito and fried cheese on the cheese.

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
« Reply #93 on: October 14, 2010, 10:58:39 PM »
Jamaican pizza is the shit. They put all kinds of awesome shit on 'em down there, like conch, lobster, jerk chicken, curry goat, exotic island fruits, and callalloo.

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #94 on: October 15, 2010, 01:52:36 AM »
That's what happens when you're stoned all the time.

Offline Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #95 on: October 15, 2010, 02:47:18 AM »
Neapolitan pie - be it Boston North End or NYC style - is my favorite, with one of the best I've encountered being a small pizzeria in Walpole, MA called Leo's. Huge pies, absolutely delicious, and pretty damn cheap. After the Neapolitan style, it's easy to say that Chicago's deep dish are great, even if the only style we can really get out in Mass in Uno's.

Re: Greek pizza
Kung, I'm really not sure why it's the preferred style for smaller chains in NE, but it damn sure is delicious. Greasy, thick crust, copious amounts of cheese and toppings...man, it's great if done right (which, oddly enough, few chains up here even do right anymore). The only non-Greek pizzeria in my town that isn't a franchise, like Papa Gino's or Domino's, is, probably, one of the worst fucking places I've ever eaten at. It used to be downright delicious, but new owners came in a few years ago and ruined it all up.

Online Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2010, 02:53:40 AM »
Yeah, I love Greek style pizza but I'm not sure if it's because I grew up with it or if it's legit awesome. People I know from New York certainly are grossed out about it. Fuck 'em! Like I said earlier, it's like an almost homemade version of Pizza Hut pizza and sometimes, that's what you need.

Offline Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2010, 03:00:53 AM »
Eh, Pizza Hut can't touch the {town} House of Pizza places, though. Maybe it's just because all the ones around me are run by retards and burnouts, but the best local place - Franklin Pizza & Deli - is miles ahead of any Pizza Hut I've ever eaten at.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2010, 11:28:09 AM »
According to commercials I see when I watch television from Seattle, Roundtable is the "last honest pizza". I recall commercials where they had a pretty good looking meatball pizza.

Online Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2010, 03:11:10 AM »
Eh, Pizza Hut can't touch the {town} House of Pizza places, though. Maybe it's just because all the ones around me are run by retards and burnouts, but the best local place - Franklin Pizza & Deli - is miles ahead of any Pizza Hut I've ever eaten at.
Well, I thought homemade implied better. Though I guess it's possible some people can fuck up making pizza.

Portland's gotten a deluge of really good pizza places in the past five years. Ten years ago, all we had were House of Pizza type places and chains. Now we've got a bunch of NY style places and quite a few premium, slightly upscale type joints. My absolute favorite is Otto, which is open till 2 A.M. on the weekends. Awesome New York style thin crust. As good if not better than a lot of the pizza I've had in NYC.

http://www.ottoportland.com/menu.html
Check out this menu!

That being said, Portland House of Pizza is still high up there if I want some greasy ass, thick crust pizza.