Author Topic: UFC 97: Redemption  (Read 8680 times)

Description:

Offline Hawkius Maximus

UFC 97: Redemption
« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2009, 09:46:14 AM »
It should also be mentioned that instead of moving down to fight GSP, Dana flat out said that he thinks he should give Silva a legitimate test at 205.

This raises some big questions. Who would an angry Dana White match Anderson Silva against at 205?

You can write off the obvious choice of Lyoto or Rashad...but how about Quinton? If there's anyone at 205 who'll get Silva to the ground, and has the power to one shot KO him, it's Quinton. He's also got nothing on the table right now due to Rashad/Lyoto.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #101 on: April 19, 2009, 09:48:29 AM »
Machida/Evans is already next month. Rampage just fought last month, so it's reasonable to assume he's got next.

They can always put him in with Wanderlei. They have had their little war of words going on the past few weeks. Wanderlei would probably lose but either he would a) restore Anderson's rep by providing him a highlight reel KO or b) get the KO himself and make Dana happy no doubt.
Show loose women what I'm workin' with.

« Reply #102 on: April 19, 2009, 09:55:42 AM »
What about Shogun? I don't if Anderson has bad blood with him like Wanderlei, but a fight between the two could be interesting. Shogun could finally establish himself as being a top star in the LHW division by ending Anderson's winning streak. If Anderson won, the can talk about how he beat the guy who retired Liddell, and it could restore his reputation with the fans.

Offline Hawkius Maximus

« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2009, 10:03:44 AM »
Wanderlai's moving down to 185. Dana specifically said 205, most likely because he has a larger talent pool to work with there.

Shogun's a possibility. Shogun and Silva don't have the heat that Wanderlai and Anderson do, but I could see Shogun (who I think is still really good friends with Wanderlai) taking it. I don't remember if Shogun is still with Chute Box but he would probably see it as a revenge match of kinds.

It'd be a no lose fight too...If Shogun loses, then he lost to Anderson Silva. But if Anderson loses, then he just lost to a resurgent Shogun

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #104 on: April 19, 2009, 10:08:22 AM »
Personally I'd like to see Anderson fight Rampage.  I think Rampage would decapitate him.
Matt, don't be a fag. Post some huge cocks.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #105 on: April 19, 2009, 10:21:19 AM »
A lot of venom towards Silva here. I guess now's not a good time to mention I just purchased that shirt he wore to the octagon last night. *whistles and walks away with hands in pockets*
I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• If I told you cocaine numbers you would think I was lyin'
  • WWWYKI
« Reply #106 on: April 19, 2009, 10:23:12 AM »
Who's this AA person you all speak of?

Also, I love Angry Dana.

« Reply #107 on: April 19, 2009, 10:24:12 AM »
Andrei Arlovski.

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• WWWYKI
« Reply #108 on: April 19, 2009, 10:31:53 AM »
Ah yes.   He's the dude that recently fought Fedor right?

Offline HTQ

« Reply #109 on: April 19, 2009, 11:45:55 AM »
I don't even think it's a money fight anymore. People are pissed at Silva, and he's virtually killed a town. There's no draw to it beyond the novelty that we just saw GSP engage in. Silva's never been a strong draw, and after this I don't see him being one either.
I think Silva might have killed himself as a draw. People are now thinking of him as a Tim Sylvia, who fights boring fights and tries to not lose rather than to win. UFC might draw in Montreal again, but they'll have to use GSP against a really big name, and one that isn't Anderson Silva.

The main event itself was one of the most boring fights ever and, appropriately enough, you'd have to go back to a Tim Sylvia fight to find one that matched it. Which Sylvia fight? Well, pick either the third Arlovksy fight, or his fights against Jeff Monson and Brandon Vera. Dana White has to be working overtime to find someone, anyone, who can take that MW title off of Silva.

Chuck Liddell's fighting career really should be over now. He can't hang at the top level and if he tries, he's only going to take punishment he doesn't need to. And if he sticks around at a lower level, he'll not only take punishment he doesn't need to but it would make him look bad for having to stay below the level that people want to see him at. Much better for his career, and safety, to go out now with his head held high and with his legacy virtually untarnished. It's also funny to see people criticizing Dana White for actually thinking of Chuck's safety. I guess he should push Chuck out there to perform until he takes one punch too many and doesn't get up.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #110 on: April 19, 2009, 12:07:37 PM »
I really don't think it was a case of Silva pulling a Sylvia and trying to be as safe as possible to hold onto his title. I think it was more what Hawk is saying. He had zero respect for Leites and wanted to humiliate him. Why did he act like that? Maybe he doesn't want weak challengers thrown at him. I dunno. Problem with that is that he's so much better than, well everyone, that it's hard to find people to challenge him consistently.

Offline Tawren

« Reply #111 on: April 19, 2009, 01:29:34 PM »

Chuck Liddell's fighting career really should be over now. He can't hang at the top level and if he tries, he's only going to take punishment he doesn't need to. And if he sticks around at a lower level, he'll not only take punishment he doesn't need to but it would make him look bad for having to stay below the level that people want to see him at. Much better for his career, and safety, to go out now with his head held high and with his legacy virtually untarnished. It's also funny to see people criticizing Dana White for actually thinking of Chuck's safety. I guess he should push Chuck out there to perform until he takes one punch too many and doesn't get up.

I'm sure Dana is thinking of Chuck's safety, but I'm also sure he is highly motivated to avoid the possibility of AFFLICTION: ORTIZ VS LIDDELL III~

Offline Hawkius Maximus

« Reply #112 on: April 19, 2009, 03:57:30 PM »
The conspiracy theorist in me is almost thinking this is some type of subversive revenge from Anderson to UFC for them putting the stop on the Jones boxing fight.

I don't see Dana fucking around though. Whoever he throws at Anderson at 205 will be someone Anderson will actually have to fight. Shogun's a good one, but there's several 205ers who have the skill set and wrestling skill to test Silva.

Offline Gert

« Reply #113 on: April 19, 2009, 04:44:37 PM »
Does Silva want to fight at 205 for sure? Or is it a thing where if Dana/J.Silva makes the match he has to take it?

I guess of all of the 185 top contenders now I would like to see Silva-Marquardt II. I don't know that Nate could beat him, but I think he wouldn't be afraid of mixing it up with Anderson.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #114 on: April 20, 2009, 03:02:32 AM »
I kind of like the new Silva.  I don't agree with the "bad heel heat" comment.  His biggest issue has been mass marketability, and while he's a fucking sick fighter he's kind of all business and not overly charismatic or anything.  He's considered "boring" by my not really big fans of MMA friends, and I think a lot of people don't have a full appreciation of his talent.   Now he's got an angle, and can be a great heel who makes money for UFC when he's matched up with a popular, famous opponent.

I'm totally of the belief that this has been a plan of attack by Dana White.  He's booked these shitty fights for a reason.

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #115 on: April 20, 2009, 05:00:38 AM »
I like how Dana has decided Chuck won't fight again....anywhere....ever.

Yeah, he's pretty much grounding him to his room it seems. Unless he signs a contract that'll keep him in the UFC he'll go to Affliction where they're paying guys WAY more than they need to be

Offline Zetterberg is Go

« Reply #116 on: April 20, 2009, 06:09:05 AM »
Obviously not the best card and both sides have a hand in the main event being subpar. I still had fun though as the festivities and what not were cool and I met a few fighters as well. Mike Goldberg also impressed me at the GSP Q&A because he's a pretty funny guy. Chuck going out like that sucks but his entrance was awesome.

Offline Hawkius Maximus

« Reply #117 on: April 20, 2009, 06:22:41 AM »
I think what hurt the main event the most (outside of the fight itself), was Rogan and Goldberg. As a duo, sometimes they can be good, but in that main event they were outright lying through their teeth. I know I'm not the only one who was bothered by it, but they pretty much were burying the fans for not enjoying this "technical battle" which we all know is complete bullshit. I don't even know why they were lying, other then they felt they had to try and save the fight...and the only way they could think of was to call the fans stupid.

Doesn't help that right after the show is over, Dana calls it the worst night of his promoting life, one of the worst fights he's ever seen, etc, etc.

Offline HTQ

« Reply #118 on: April 20, 2009, 07:27:10 AM »
I think what hurt the main event the most (outside of the fight itself), was Rogan and Goldberg. As a duo, sometimes they can be good, but in that main event they were outright lying through their teeth. I know I'm not the only one who was bothered by it, but they pretty much were burying the fans for not enjoying this "technical battle" which we all know is complete bullshit. I don't even know why they were lying, other then they felt they had to try and save the fight...and the only way they could think of was to call the fans stupid.
Agreed. It was beyond intolerable that they were trying to defend that horrific main event. What makes it worse is that Rogan, in the past, hasn't been afraid to call a bad fight a bad fight. At the very least they could have stayed neutral and not ripped into the fans while trying to explain why they didn't think the fight was bad.

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• WWWYKI
« Reply #119 on: April 20, 2009, 07:31:45 AM »

Doesn't help that right after the show is over, Dana calls it the worst night of his promoting life, one of the worst fights he's ever seen, etc, etc.

Exactly.  Anyone who tries to defend the fight and tries to shit people that don't like it and calling them "casual fans"...  I just point out this exact point.

Offline RavishingRickRudo

« Reply #120 on: April 20, 2009, 09:39:08 AM »
Rogan has been vocal recently in regards to smart fighters and a lot of that stems from Lyoto.  Joe is a proponent of "the best fighters are the ones who win with taking the least amount of damage", and you can see from guys like Wandy and Nog and even Chuck, that the head-first style can only work for so long, while someone like Anderson -who is in the same generation as a lot of these guys- can still maintain his dominance and his chin isn't a push button cause he hasn't had to rely on it.

« Reply #121 on: April 20, 2009, 10:04:29 AM »
The dude from Fighting getting totally whiffed on the bro-grab by Dana is probably one of the greatest moments in Dana's Blog history.

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• WWWYKI
« Reply #122 on: April 20, 2009, 10:12:01 AM »
The dude from Fighting getting totally whiffed on the bro-grab by Dana is probably one of the greatest moments in Dana's Blog history.

Bahahhaa.    YES!

I'm just watching it now.

It's hard to watch Tatum (however you spell it).   He's an idiot.

« Reply #123 on: April 20, 2009, 10:22:31 AM »
omguh, I really hope that husband doesn't see the way his wife was enjoying Dana hugging her.

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• WWWYKI
« Reply #124 on: April 20, 2009, 11:23:34 AM »
Which part is that in, 1 or 2?

« Reply #125 on: April 20, 2009, 11:39:24 AM »
dos.  She keeps kissing Dana's hand really awkwardly.

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• WWWYKI
« Reply #126 on: April 20, 2009, 11:42:26 AM »
hahaha.   Yeah.   Just saw it.  That girl would have fucked him right then and there in front of her husband.

I LOVED the part where Dana turns to the camera and apologizes to all the fans for the fight... mid fight.    Pure awesome.

Offline Zetterberg is Go

« Reply #127 on: April 20, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
The fans though were literally booing every fight that had even a slight lull in the action which I found ridiculous.

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• WWWYKI
« Reply #128 on: April 20, 2009, 11:51:16 AM »
In the 1st vid, they are talking about Dana calling someone a bitch and a dyke or something, when did that happen?

Found it.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/4/9/828487/womens-media-advocacy-group

I want to see the video.   

Offline Lei Tong

• ...un pocho pendejo, at that!
« Reply #129 on: April 20, 2009, 04:42:30 PM »
The fans though were literally booing every fight that had even a slight lull in the action which I found ridiculous.

Canadians are terrible MMA fans. This is consensus.

Offline Lei Tong

« Reply #130 on: April 20, 2009, 04:56:33 PM »
Oh, man. Breen's Sunday show. Approx. 73 minutes in, some dude named Randall calls in and just absolutely loses his shit discussing how overrated Anderson is, anyone who disagrees knows nothing about MMA, and just generally acts like an ass. Fucking hilarious.

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• WWWYKI
« Reply #131 on: April 20, 2009, 05:43:36 PM »
I like that there are 2 sides and the lines are drawn on this fight.   Either you fucking hated this fight or you liked it and think anyone who didn't like it is an idiot "casual fan".   There is no middle ground.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #132 on: April 20, 2009, 10:30:41 PM »
I don't know.

I don't think anyone liked it, except Rogan and Goldberg who are paid to make the product look good.

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• WWWYKI
« Reply #133 on: April 21, 2009, 07:27:58 AM »
EHME will defend it and there are some other people who will also.

Offline EHME

• I'm trying to win coach. I ain't trying to disrespect nobody, but winning is the only thing I respect.
« Reply #134 on: April 21, 2009, 07:36:41 AM »
I never defended at the fight, I'm just not bashing Anderson's performance like so many others.

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #135 on: April 21, 2009, 08:01:08 AM »
If Leities took a punch at Silva, it may have been a different fight.

He didn't even try to pull guard. He kinda just...fell down.

DTF

Offline Lei Tong

« Reply #136 on: April 21, 2009, 08:04:15 AM »
I don't really get too upset by Leites flopping down so much. Bustamante did that shit all of the time.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #137 on: April 21, 2009, 11:25:56 AM »

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• WWWYKI
« Reply #138 on: April 21, 2009, 11:56:38 AM »
Yeah.   That's from Dana's blog.

Offline Lord of The Curry

« Reply #139 on: April 22, 2009, 03:38:30 AM »
Watching Bocek/Bielkheden and Mark looks great, best he's ever come across in his career. Showed a dramatic improvement in both aggression and ground and pound. A lot of guys would have just pounded the guy out with 10 seconds left but he went for the kill. Now that he's on the winning record side of things hopefully he realizes his full potential. I don't know if he'll ever reach contender status but I think his wrestling and top game are some of the best in the division and if he can put all the tools together he'll give a lot of guys problems.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #140 on: April 22, 2009, 03:57:50 AM »
Oh, man. Breen's Sunday show. Approx. 73 minutes in, some dude named Randall calls in and just absolutely loses his shit discussing how overrated Anderson is, anyone who disagrees knows nothing about MMA, and just generally acts like an ass. Fucking hilarious.

I don't know how anyone can think Silva is overrated. Yeah he didn't bring it in this fight and just made Leites look bad but his skill and ability is undeniable. He's tooled some pretty good figthers and even in this one he still didn't take any damage and could've ended it whenever he wanted to.
Just because he has a poor attitude doesn't mean he's a bad fighter.

Offline Lord of The Curry

« Reply #141 on: April 22, 2009, 09:45:15 AM »

Looks like Shogun took the red pill.

« Reply #142 on: April 22, 2009, 11:36:58 AM »
He actually showed a bunch of good avoidance of Chucks punches.  The one where he counted with a dope body kick was tops.